• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Weekly anime discussion - you bet your ass there's spoilers

lol Wiimote...god I hate the Magikarp Salesman, his face annoys me...I wonder if Jigglypuff's gonna come out in Sinnoh too, after appearing once in Hoenn....

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't worry about the evo issue too much, Carmen. I think they wanted to revisit that theme for the new generation (and unevolved, high leveled Pokemon can be pwnful) but that's the extent of it. Seeing Starly and Bonsly evolve so soon in the saga makes me confident that many more evos are to come (including the sadly predictable Ambipom).

EDIT: Sweetness. Looks like the episode I've been waiting for (dubbed "Borrowing on Bad Faith") has finally hit the US. Here's hoping the dubbing does it justice ^^

I swear that I'll NEVER understand how a shovel can get lodged into a Steelix's head. And I recognized the Bidoof voice sounding like Jigglypuff so fast that it's not even funny.

I feel really sorry for Jessie and her almost victory. I think she's always been a good Coordinator (as exemplified in that one contest in hoenn where she played fair and square) It's jsut that cheating for them is so much easier. Then again, team rocket's done their fair share of good deeds although their achiv=evements are almost, but not exactly achievements...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
One thing that I found a tiny bit disappointing was that I didn't hear Meowth call the remote for the Evolution Machine a "Wiimote".

Just noticed this now while watching the episode. Meowth may not call the controller a Wiimote, but he does say - and I quote - "One click on the old remote - Whee". I highly doubt that was a coincidence x)

Shinji's Pokémon seen in this weeks episode:

- Chimchar
- Torterra
- Murkrow
- Weavile
- Ursaring

No sign of Elekid, unless he traded it for the Torterra/Weavile, I assume that he just didn't use it because it was against a Garchomp...

I thought this was a pretty funny episode purely cause Cynthia showed Shinji that he is actually beatable.

I know its pretty far out, but as they have Murkrow on Shinji's team, think theres any chance Ash will get a Misdreavus? Like I said, far out idea, but then again, id love to see Ash with something else that requires a stone for evolution..

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its pretty far out, but as they have Murkrow on Shinji's team, think theres any chance Ash will get a Misdreavus? Like I said, far out idea, but then again, id love to see Ash with something else that requires a stone for evolution..

I would like to see that too. I would also like to see Ash actually USE the stone to evolve the Misdreavus. I haven't seen any Pokemon on our 'heroes' team that evolved via elemental stone (excluding Politoed).

Personally I'm still holding out for (and this is a long shot) a Gallade. But either way, I want to see Ash with a psychic or ghost type.

Brock's lombre used the water stone to become Ludicolo...

Also Misty has a Starmie which requires a stone evolution, although this fact wasn't overly explored in the Anime.

Paul got a Torterra!?! What's are the writers thinking? Is Paul not going to have Chimchar evolve while he'll be getting the final forms of the other two Sinnoh starters?

I think there going for spontaneity. Logically speaking Paul can catch or trade any pokemon, thus he even catch Ash's. I fear for this new Torterra, it might convince Turtwig not to evolve...Still hoping Ash gets a Lucario...Who else thinks Cynthia looks better in the game?

I fear for this new Torterra, it might convince Turtwig not to evolve

And you should probably worry about the presence of Kengo's Prinplup convincing Dawn's Piplup from evolving as well.

BTW, I hate Kengo because he looks so plain, like a filler character.

Brock's lombre used the water stone to become Ludicolo...

Also Misty has a Starmie which requires a stone evolution, although this fact wasn't overly explored in the Anime.

Oh yeah I forgot Lombre. I never took to it too much, maybe that's why I didn't remember.

And I think that anything that encourages a Pokemon not to evolve should be done away with in most cases. That got really old really fast in the Kanto and Johto. And if Paul has a Torterra there better be something lean and mean to counter it. In short nothing uneveolved.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the fact that Shinji's origins were finally revealed (about his having taken part in the Kanto/Johto/Hoenn leagues already). This makes me very happy because it'll put an end to all the arguments about why/how Shinji tied with Ash.

It was also stated that Turtwig (now this Torterra) was his starter, yet what I find funny is that he's only taking part in the Sinnoh gym challenge now, after doing the other leagues first. It sounds like something you'd expect out of an RP/Fanfic, not the Anime. But hell, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the further this season goes, the more if feels like some fanfics/RPs I've read, and that's definitely not a bad thing.

I'm not going to say anything about the evolution issue right now. The writers aren't being as predictable as usual, so the way I figure it anything could happen. I'll just cross my fingers and hope that we see lots of evolutions for the main charries' Pokemon in the future of Sinnoh.

And for the record, I don't think of Cynthia as simply a stalker/pedo/annoyance anymore. Now I see her as a friendly, caring stalker/pedo who has a really nifty Garchomp ^^

somehow, Garchomp just doesn't do it for me, it sounds too cute for a that pokemon...

on the subject of stone evolutions, Ash did acquire a Sun Stone from the Johto Bug Catching Contest. He used it to evolve an old couple's Sunkern into a Sunflora...

I still think Cynthia looked better in one shade of black, and her eyes are more narrow than anyone else's, except Brock of course. ^^

I hadn't read that about Shinji's origins, Im glad we know now hes not just some newbie, at least its no longer the case that hes just a superplaying kid thats kicking Ash's ass majorly.

I like that he has shown his Torterra now, I'd love to see a Torterra vs Torterra showdown later on in the series, especially as his knows frenzy plant. Its pretty obvious that Ash's turtwig will evolve at least once this season. I just wish that we didnt always have it that 2 or 3 episodes in a row we get evolutions then no more for another 10 episodes, they should be more sporadic.

And what was Paul thinking having a Weavile with Blizzard and Ice Beam. I thought Paul only cared about strong Pokemon? A Weavile with special attacks (stab or otherwise) is NOT strong.

Its the anime... They don't have the same physical/special split as in the games, hense why Ash' Aipom still uses shadow ball, and don't even get me started on the fact that shadow ball still affects his Aipom despite the typing of the two.

Zoey's Glameow used it I believe (or maybe it was Buneary, can't recall). And yes it really did affect Ash's Aipom. That hasn't been the first time normal types have been affected by ghost typed moves. Remember when Morty's Gengar sent Meowth and Team Rocket blasting off with a Shadow Ball attack back in Johto. There are a couple of other occasions as well.

It's only when Max is around that the series suddenly remembers that "it can't do that." Ever notice? The only time the series followed game rules was during hoenn, now that Max is gone, they can mess around with the rules again...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You mean, Max = no "AIM FOR THE HORN!"?

He's a wizard =o

And yeah, the dub mentioned how the Ghost-type attacks of Glameow weren't meant to injure the Normal-type opponents, they were just meant to act as a buffer and/or throw off the oncoming attacks.

You mean, Max = no "AIM FOR THE HORN!"?

He's a wizard =o

And yeah, the dub mentioned how the Ghost-type attacks of Glameow weren't meant to injure the Normal-type opponents, they were just meant to act as a buffer and/or throw off the oncoming attacks.

Heh heh. I'm slipping. I guess the anime follows the game when it it's convenient.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
There hasn't been much "aim for the horn" action since like mid-Johto. Originally, the majority of it was just there so Pikachu could beat everything and win the day 'cos he's the big hero etc etc etc, but since then it's been pretty tight to the game mechanics overall.

In fact, the last time I can remember any instance of the whole "aim for the horn" stuff was Pikachu taking down Pyrce's Piloswine. I'm sure there's probably another instance floating around since somewhere though.

Im curious, I got the dish to auto-record all episodes and lately all I get is re-runs. Any idea on when some new episodes come on that we haven't seen?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Depends where you are. If you're in America, there wont be any more new episodes until the Autumn. If you're in the UK, I think D/P is set to begin in the next month or so.

Back on the shadow ball topic... In Battle Frontier Ash's Aipom is KOed by a Weavile that uses Shadow Ball. I saw the episode this morning again, shame there was nothing from max about why ghost moves shouldnt affect normal types...
Meh the normal laws of pokémon don't affect the anime world so I'll let it slide, although sometimes I do want to slap the writers...

I liked this weeks episode though, with the appearance of the Marina (I think her name was) on Zoe's laptop competing with her Feraligatr, I like it when we see past characters returning even if its just in a cameo...

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Im curious, I got the dish to auto-record all episodes and lately all I get is re-runs. Any idea on when some new episodes come on that we haven't seen?

What Oak said. I assume if you're just getting reruns you're not Canadian, eh? Canada's still only airing Battle Frontier Sat. afternoons, but at least every weekend is something new in that respect.

As for the Marina thing, I liked that too, but I was almost hoping that they'd give May a cameo. It'll never happen that way (they'd never just show her for a few seconds without making a big thing of it), but still XD

And man... Dawn totally blows at double battles, lol. It'll be fun to see the episode when she finally gets them right :)

It was nice to see TR's submarine return this episode, I swear we haven't seen it in a long time at least since hoenn... but I may be wrong...

Other than that there wasn't really much to this weeks episode, unless you like seeing Ash getting shocked a lot... Well, ok I do :p

Gary's coming back in the Hunter J episode in a couple of weeks. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Somehow I expected that. Hunter J is just too cool for Ash to take on, so the writers send in Gary. Besides, Ash still has Galactic to deal with >_<

I'm beginning to think all the past thundershocks seem to have affected Ash's brain, and that he's become magnetic after all this time. And yay, another pokemon conversation we can't understand, plus the return of TR's most dependable (?) mecha pokemon...

Are any other characters coming back for the Hunter J episode do you know? The Japanese voice actor for Misty said she'd be appearing in Sinnoh at some point... Id hope they wouldn't put them all in at once, but it'd be better than having several weeks in a row with old characters returning...

Actually I found the series started with quite a rush...Ash and Dawn have acquired the majority of their team, and all the evolutions happening one after the other, now it's kinda slowed down and gone back to the usual pace of the series...Plus its way too soon for a movie, don't you think?

Actually I found the series started with quite a rush...Ash and Dawn have acquired the majority of their team, and all the evolutions happening one after the other, now it's kinda slowed down and gone back to the usual pace of the series...Plus its way too soon for a movie, don't you think?

Like Rocket said, It is way too early for a movie...but they made one already. It's about Palkia, Dialgia and Darkai. It seems way too soon to start a movie.
And go Gary! If anyone has to fight the Hunters, it has to be Gary. Gary is just the definintion of cool. Too bad he hasn't won any championships... *Starts taking bets that Gary will win the Sinnoh League with his Electrivire*

Ok just watched this weeks episode... This is a warning people....

I have warned you....

OMG Hippopotas is just so cute!!! I mean, its stare is just freaking awesome... Think anyone will make Hippopotas shaped hats, cause I'd wear one...

..... Im sorry... =(

Personally Im let down Ash didn't capture it, but then again, him with 5 right now is just a bit soon, this isnt kanto :p

It was slightly numel-ish, but at the same time, it was so incredibly cute I think if I ever have the (mis)fortune of finding a plush one I may be forced to get one...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Anyone else feel like they turned a Hippo into a Puppy for this?

Not saying I didn't enjoy Hippopotas' characterisation - in fact, this episode was fantastic (not to mention hilarious thanks to Team Rocket), but it did seem a bit odd...

Indeed, the vibe of this episode in comparison with the others is...weird, or rather, it just feels way different. But it's still a good episode, and Hippopotas is kinda puppy-ish....