• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokécharms

StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
Find the nearest ten year old dumbass and send them to handle it of course. That's how it always works in the Pokemon World, isn't it? Most useless law enforcement since the real world.
Merciless Medic
Merciless Medic
Lol, goodness, wasn't expecting that answer, but should have known.

The reason why I asked was because I was discussing with someone, who was acting like his character wasn't in trouble, when he killed a gym leader... It didn't sound right at all.
Merciless Medic
Merciless Medic
I mean, he knew his character is in trouble, but he's expecting the cops to not go running, but I treat the law enforcement in the Pokemon world as if it would be in the real world, but with some liberties taken.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
Much as I like throwing snarky comments about how useless the PokeForce is in canon - I DO have quite a few ideas about Pokemon World Law Enforcement. I just don't have three centuries to write a thesis about it right now because I'm up to my armblades in actual work. But.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
1. It's important to keep in mind that Pokemon do not necessarily follow human laws because they're not humans. Pokemon assisted human crimes are likely treated differently than incidents involving wild Pokemon.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
2. Incidents involving wild Pokemon (or ones that escaped captivity for instance) will likely be handled by rangers instead operating within the capacity of Fantasy Animal Control except the animals are sentient to some degree.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
3. And there are so many other factors that could fall into this too, based on how the incident took place and how the incident was reconstructed based on forensic evidence and leftover energy patterns. It'd usually be quite difficult to trace one incident to an individual, let alone to track said individual down.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
And that's without even taking into consideration the fact that even if the target Pokemon is actually found and apprehended, I'd imagine the magnitude of the incidence, history of violence, disposition and other elements would have to be considered in decided what to do with the 'mon.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
I'd imagine it'd range from applying some kind of a tracker to it as an early warning system the creature's getting too close to a human settlement, relocation, in some cases probably even capture and assignment to rehabilitation with particularly skilled trainers who have the appropriate education and training.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
In extreme cases - where a Pokemon is particularly, indiscriminately homicidal and constitutes a clear and present danger that is unlikely to stop being a threat? Probably some form of maximum security stasis or a whole lot of psionic tinkering.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
Of course, your average wild Pokemon with only minor exposure to humans would likely not know much about this sort of thing, but... *shrugs*
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
Anyway here I am writing walls of frelling text when I said I wouldn't, so I'm just going to say this - one of the things that give me a vast headache about people RPing Pokemon is that they usually don't really think about how these Pokemon would function in the wild and their potential interactions with other lifeforms. They just write generic human characters only as Pokemon.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
And I'm also quite tired of edgy kids going all "my character killed someone, no big deal, lol" as if that's a substitute for any in-depth character development or as if being on the run from the law makes their character cooler in some way.
StellarWind Elsydeon
StellarWind Elsydeon
Don't get me wrong - these stories have some degree of merit if done right, and everyone has to start somewhere with their writing. But ye gods, people, would it hurt you to think about what you're doing and the possible ramifications thereof. >>;
Merciless Medic
Merciless Medic
Ah yes, thank you so much. I thought that maybe the law would treat them like animals of today. But thank you for your insight. I shall walk away enlightened.