• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

A civil discussion about pokemon music

• Thread starter Deleted member 284192
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 284192

Let's discuss Pokemon music because I don't feel it is discussed enough.

So the Pokemon games maintain a balance of bopping battle tunes and then the themes of the different towns and routes that capture the life of the region (Not to say that towns and routes can't have banger tracks, just look at Driftveil City theme my god). I am a fan of Pokemon soundtracks, however I do believe that they can be quite samey in terms of how they are trying to sound. For example the random encounter theme from gen 3 is gonna be doing the same thing for you as the random encounter theme from gen 1 because the games seem to mirror the sound of past pokemon games. I really don't have a problem with this because I like the sound of Pokemon games, and I am fine with Gamefreak delivering consistent quality with their soundtracks. Before I go in any deeper though, let me just state that I have no understanding of music composition or music theory or any of that garbage. I just like debating about pokimanz.

Since the soundtracks are all consistent in capturing that signature Pokemon sound I would say a large amount of what determines someone's preference of Pokemon soundtracks is simply bias. Since I played a ton of Pokemon Black/White and FireRed/LeafGreen, I have a bias towards the gen 5 and gen 1 soundtracks.

That being said, I am going to put a hat in the ring for which titles I think have the strongest soundtrack, and those games are Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. They really went all out giving the Hoenn region a large array of different sounds from bold to beautiful. You've got those small towns (Littleroot, Verdanturge, Oldale) that have such simple and gentle themes and might even give a sense of melancholy. Those themes have an amazing clash with the very lively and upbeat sounds of the cities like Petalburg City and I can think of no better an example than Slateport city. Slateport is this great mass of a city bustling with people heading for the beach, shopping at the market or just enjoying the view of the region's vast oceans, and the music captures all of it.

We'll get back to that ocean later, but as you get deeper within Hoenn's land mass, the heat intensifies with every step you take bringing you closer to the flaming peak of Mt. Chimney. The first theme that comes to mind is route 111's desert theme. Of course before you hit the peak of Mt. Chimney you make your way around it to Meteor Falls which has this breathtaking ancient and mystic aura about it. It's also important to note that this is the first time the soundtrack gives you a taste of that beautiful mystery that Hoenn's waters are laced in. Back on the topic of big steamy volcanoes, you make your way to the top of Mt. Chimney and are immediately greeted with this intense theme which really showcases how hard the horns in the music can hit. Oh right, I forgot to mention how hard the horns hit in Hoenn's soundtrack. God damn.

I'm actually gonna have to stop myself cause I think I went in too hard on the Hoenn soundtracks, and I could go on for many more paragraphs, and at that point I might as well just right an essay on the Hoenn region. Perhaps I'll discuss the ocean music of these games another time. But forget Hoenn, its a stupid region anyways. too much water (nah jk, I like hoenn). Anyways let us discuss. What's the best Pokemon music? What's your favorite battle themes? route themes? town themes? It's time to hit the debates.

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
I mostly like all the pokemon music. Probably has the second best nintendo soundtrack behind kirby. In my opinion, at least.

May I say though, people are forgetting about spin off games. There are bangers in there too.
Examples like pokken tournament:
Synergy Burst (Final Boss: Final Round) Pokken Tournament Music Extended - YouTube
Pokken Tournament OST - Magikarp Festival - YouTube

Mystery Dungeon
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon OST - Final Boss 2 Extended - YouTube
Stop! Thief! Pokémon SUPER Mystery Dungeon Official Soundtrack [HQ] - YouTube (Idk why but i love this one)

Pokepark:
Battle PokéPark 2 Wonders Beyond Music Extended [Music OST][Original Soundtrack] - YouTube

I will also say: People are sleeping on Pokemon Ranger Guardian signs. Maybe (Definitely) it's because it was my first game, but this game has some really good music that I still listen to sometimes.
Examples like
Riding on Legendary Beast - Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs - YouTube (I never got tired of this as a kid)
Normal Capture Pokémon Ranger Guardian Signs Music Extended HD - YouTube (Didn't notice it before, but this is actually a very good theme. I love it. 10/10 definitely one of my favorites.)
Faldera Volcano - Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs - YouTube (God was this catchy.)
Pokémon Ranger Guardian Signs - Boss Capture Music EXTENDED - YouTube (Dunno what to say about this one. It's very good, that's it.)

The lack of remixes of these infuriates me more than it should. I could go on and add more of my favorites, and by that I mean the entire soundtrack, but I'll spare you my obsession.
So yeah, there's my two cents. Listen to pokemon ranger guardian signs or I'll follow you home.

D

Deleted member 284192

Man, Guardian Signs was the one Pokemon Ranger game I played and I traded it away from my friend's cartridge of Scribblenauts. Great game though and those music tracks you linked in hit me with some heavy nostalgia.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
You've got good taste in music @Ridleymon ! Hoenn is also my favorite OST of all the games. I love how bombastic Archie/Maxie's battle theme and Steven's Champion theme are, the impending dread of Kyogre's downpour, and the intensity of the Weather Trio's battle theme. Rayquaza's Descent has an ominous feel to it and Game Freak reusing that theme for the Sky Pillar in ORAS just added a whole new layer of urgency to summoning Rayquaza in the Delta Episode. And then we have Hoenn's Victory Road which is hands down the best Victory Road theme we've gotten in eight generations. I also like May/Brendan's battle theme, Mt. Pyre (inside and outside), Meteor Falls, Route 113, and Fallarbor Town. And in ORAS Wally and Zinnia's respective battle themes were amazing additions.

That said, I'm also very fond of Unova's OST. Team Plasma have the best battle theme of any evil team to date (though Team Rocket's is a close second) and N's Castle has been my favorite track in any Pokemon game since the moment I first heard it. My only lament is that you can't visit the Castle again in BW otherwise I would just stand there for hours enjoying the ambiance. Opelucid City, White Forest, Alder's theme, and Route 10 are also among my favorite tracks in Gen V.

I would list all of the tracks from the other games that I like, but that would be a long list since there are currently 32 main series Pokemon games including remakes so that would be a long list of music tracks to go over. Even putting down my number one top choice from each generation would be a hard decision to make so I'll just stick with saying Gen III and V are my favorite collective OSTs of the games so far.

D

Deleted member 284192

Gen 5 has a wild soundtrack. I think it is one of the most innovative with stuff like turning the red health sound effect into a super cool remix, or the Gym leader's final pokemon getting a special theme.

One of my personal favorite themes from Black/White is Ghetsis' theme when you fight him at the end of the main story. It's such an odd theme for a Pokemon game with its war drums and creepy chants. When I was a kid and playing these games I remember getting to Ghetsis and I had to put my DS down cause it had me spooked.

The city themes in Gen 5 also have some absolute bangers like the previously mentioned Driftveil City. Another personal favorite is Castelia City. That theme is just a vibe, and that city has some of the coolest visuals in any Pokemon game.

D

Deleted member 284192

Oh boy. Don't even get me started on the Pikachu Jukebox. Too many classic jams. Together Forever, Viridian City, What Kind of Pokemon Are You, Double Trouble. The list goes on.

And on the topic of Two Perfect Girls, you gotta respect how hard Brock goes in when hitting those high notes.

And then you have the hidden Gems within the Movies and the Animated Series: The snippets of Musical Majesty that far out signs the theme songs and provides them with their light in the full tunes... Behold... A series of memories from the History of the Movies and Jukebox!

Pokemon Movie 1: Catch Me If You Can (Begins 0:21)

Pokemon Movie 3: Spell of Unown (Begins 0:50)

Pokemon Movie 5: Master Quest (Begins 1:02)

Pokemon Movie 10: We Will Be Heroes

Pokemon Jukebox: Together Forever

And so many more classics that are hidden within the series, and so easily forgotten as the themes that defined the franchise.... Plus this...