• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS A Modest Metagross and other conundrums

I recently imported my Metagross from my Emerald game and it has a Modest nature. That said, its special attack is only three points lower than its attack. I was wondering if Psychic or Zen Headbutt would be better for Metagross. I'm really terrible at judging it when it's this close. Though this is in-game if I ever decided to use it competitively would I be better off trying to breed an adamant natured one?

Does this moveset work?
Item: Wide Lens
Hammer Arm
Psychic/Zen Headbutt
Meteor Mash
Magnet Rise

I also bred a female Drifblim and a Gengar together evolved the Drifloon and got....

Drifblim-Calm
Item: can't think of one
Thunderbolt
Shadowball
Psychic
Gust

I know Gust is bad but I don't know what to replace it with. Constructive criticism of this moveset is welcome as well.

Well, Metagross is very well done, keep Psychic, it's more powerful and 3 points isn't going to make much of a difference. Driftblim, on the other hand, is in a tight spot. With its calm nature, Fly, the only good fly type attack Driftblim can learn, it weakened. Either way you look at it, it can't really take advantage of its flying STAB. I suggest you replace gust with something that can raise its stats, like Calm Mind, or you could go with Fly. Your choice.

For competitive, Magnet Rise won't do, people will just scorch it then with Fire. If you wan't competitve, a Metagross has a completely different set. Let me know and I'll get you a good one. Psychic just cause it's got a higher Accuracy rate.

Drifblim: Keep Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball, Ditch Psychic because SHadow Ball hits almost those other types as well. What kind of Hidden Power does it have? Silver Wind, T-Wave and Will-o-Wisp can work as a filler. You could always try Baton Passing Calm Minds too. If you hold the Sky Plate, Gust can be useable.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
A Modest nature is not hideous for Metagross, seeing as it can use Special Attack perfectly well. I'd suggest that you don't worry about its nature.

I have a Drifblim which holds the Sky Plate, with the moveset:
Ominous Wind - GHOST, STAB, base power raised to 90, may raise all stats
Silver Wind - BUG, power 60, may raise all stats
Thunderbolt - ELECTRIC, power 95
Gust - FLYING, STAB, base power raised to 60

It's surprisingly useful. I did consider switching out Ominous Wind for Shadow Ball, but I have a nifty stat-raise thing going on.

Cool suggestions! I never thought of giving Drifblim Silver Wind or Calm Mind so they're both definitely options now.

I might try my luck with competive battling so I would like to see a competitive Metagross set. I'll explain my thinking in using Magnet Rise as well. Since Metagross is only weak to fire and ground type moves I thought I would eliminate one of the weaknesses but that may not be the best thing for it.

Most people would use the turn you give them to either set up a sweep, lay a layer of Spikes or SR, switch to a wall or an approtie counter. It only works for 5 turns too, so if they've been counting, they might be just waiting to throw an Earthquake at you.

I sugest Explosion to go out with a bang or another attack like EQ to cover its fire weakness. Magnet Rise can be useful at times though. It's up to personal choice though. You'll just have to be wary of people switching in for a counter.

Hope that helped.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys and I have two more: Typhlosion and Feralgatr

Out of all the fire starters, I have the most trouble coming up with a moveset for Typhlosion but I think it has much potential and plus I adore it too.

Right now it has;
Lava Plume
Swift
Gyro Ball
and I need help with the last move and Swift probably isn't good

While I currently don't have a Feraligatr, I'm going to trade for Totodile as soon as I have access to wifi
The potential moveset
Waterfall
Ice Punch
Crunch
Brick Break/Dragon Claw

And also I have this burning question: What exactly is an uber or 0ober? Is my Metagross one?

Nevermind. I read Plapti's thread on competitive battling. My Metagross isn't one. It's just an OU Pokemon that I adore and love to pieces.

For Typhlison, replace Lava Plume with Flamethrower. Get rid of Gyro Ball for Eruption. Only us it on your first turn. It works better the more health the user has. Focus Blast to hit Rock-Types. Then either Swift or HP Ice/Grass/Electric/Ground.

For Feraligatr: If you can, get Dragon Dance. If not, Swords Dance works well. Either that or a filler move like Crunch. Earthquake covers it against Electric-types. And have Ice Punch or Ice Fang and have Waterfall for STAB.

For Typhlison, replace Lava Plume with Flamethrower. Get rid of Gyro Ball for Eruption. Only us it on your first turn. It works better the more health the user has. Focus Blast to hit Rock-Types. Then either Swift or HP Ice/Grass/Electric/Ground.

So in this instance it's okay for Typhlosion to have two fire type moves? Works for me then.

Now I'm definitely going to put Pachirisu in the Daycare to level it up so it will Pick-up TM 26 Earthquake. Both Metagross and Feraligatr need it.