• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Battle Tower 1v1

So I decided I really like the Battle Tower for when I get bored and want to hit things-- not to mention it gives me something to build teams for besides PvP battles (which I hate and loathe and augh.) So I made another team. Before I'd finished even breeding my last one. /selfsigh

Breloom@Wide Lens
Adamant
Seed Bomb
Sky Uppercut
Rock Slide
Leech Seed

Venomoth@Wise Glasses
Modest, Shield Dust
Bug Buzz
Sludge Bomb
Psychic
Hidden Power (68 GND)

Crawdaunt@Muscle Band
Adamant
Waterfall
Crunch
Aerial Ace
Brick Break

I'm somewhat dissatisfied by the move set-- two things with fighting moves, but I couldn't even find a spot for fire or electric? Blech! However, the team is mostly an attempt to use some pokemon I wouldn't otherwise get to, that I dearly love (see: my unholy fascination with Breloom) so I suppose it evens out... that said, any suggestions on move sets? Only the Venonat is already bred, so Breloom and Crawdaunt are pretty flexible still.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
One definite suggestion for breloom: Get Spore. It induces sleep with an accuracy of 100.
Breloom is fast, and its defenses aren't too great, so Spore is perfect. If you DO go with spore, however, I'll have to suggest a Jolly nature to increase its speed.

I too have an unholy obsession with Breloom... My breloom's moveset may not suit yours, if you give it a special attack decreasing nature, but this is mine that has worked so well:

Breloom@Toxic orb (toxic status permanently prevents most other ailments.)
Ability: Poison Heal
Naive/Hasty Nature (speed makes up for the lack of defenses)
Drain Punch
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Spore

I included Giga Drain, despite its lower Sp. Attack, because I wanted something in the event I'm facing something with really low Sp. Def, and something with really high Defense.
I've been advised against it, but it works great for me.

Venomoth looks great...
and Crawdaunt I have absolutely no experience with.

I'll Help with Crawdaunt!

Crawdaunt-Muscle Band
Hyper Cutter
Adamant Nature
Crabhammer-STAB
Night Slash-STAB
Aerial Ace-Fighting Types
Swords Dance/X-Scissor-Ups Crawdaunts Attack or Deals with Grass Types

The Adamant Nature is Ideal

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
One definite suggestion for breloom: Get Spore. It induces sleep with an accuracy of 100.
Breloom is fast, and its defenses aren't too great, so Spore is perfect. If you DO go with spore, however, I'll have to suggest a Jolly nature to increase its speed.

I too have an unholy obsession with Breloom... My breloom's moveset may not suit yours, if you give it a special attack decreasing nature, but this is mine that has worked so well:

Breloom@Toxic orb (toxic status permanently prevents most other ailments.)
Ability: Poison Heal
Naive/Hasty Nature (speed makes up for the lack of defenses)
Drain Punch
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Spore

I included Giga Drain, despite its lower Sp. Attack, because I wanted something in the event I'm facing something with really low Sp. Def, and something with really high Defense.
I've been advised against it, but it works great for me.

Venomoth looks great...
and Crawdaunt I have absolutely no experience with.

One move you should consider sticking in here is Focus Punch. You get STAB on it, it has 150 power and can't be interrupted by damage if you Spore the opponent beforehand.

Also, I'm siding with Ruko on Giga Drain, because it is a very good choice - with the right Nature/EV's/IV's, it can OHKO Swampert (although I wouldn't recommend devoting huge amounts of time and EV's into making sure it can do this). Plus, 60 power and 10 PP isn't that bad really.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
heh... I entirely forgot about Focus Punch

[I wasn't entirely feeling the best yesterday, so I may contradict myself a bit now]

In actuality I've noticed that Poison Heal + Leech Seed restores plenty of HP without the draining attacks, so the they aren't really necessary if you don't want them... I still have the same reasoning behind Giga Drain, but If you choose to give it an Adamant Nature, don't do it.

Swampert has a 4x Weakness to grass, so Seed Bomb would likely kill it too, but if you were to go up against a Golem, even though it is also 4x weak, it may survive with its immense defenses... even if you are fairly certain you can kill it in one hit, it is best to use spore first just as insurance; it has plenty of PP.

I hope that was a little more help.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Swampert has a 4x Weakness to grass, so Seed Bomb would likely kill it too, but if you were to go up against a Golem, even though it is also 4x weak, it may survive with its immense defenses... even if you are fairly certain you can kill it in one hit, it is best to use spore first just as insurance; it has plenty of PP.

Golem has massive Defense, but his Sp.Defense leaves a lot to be desired (Base 65 compared to Swampert's Base 90) and his HP is lower than Swampert's as well (Base 80 vs Base 100). If Giga Drain can OHKO Swampert, poor Golem doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of surviving.