• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Battle videos removal dependent on user?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Kinda bad news, mostly 'cause I didn't realize it worked this way until now.

I just went through all of RedRising's battle videos and apparently only his most recent 6 will work. Even one as recent as July 3rd will no longer load up. That said, Andrew's mini-tourney battle verses Sem still works fine, as do the friendly matches KoL posted back in May. This makes it fairly clear that it isn't a time-related thing - it's a user upload limit. Exactly what the limit is I'm not sure, but there's a good chance it's 6. I'd need Red or someone else to test this by uploading 6 or more videos and checking if the 7th still works.

So, yeah. I think with this in mind we'll need to revamp the video topic. It also means that placing battle videos on the wiki will probably just be a waste of our time due to how quickly some of 'em can be removed. Obviously an alternative is if people simply save/upload the most crucial or epic of matches, but that's not quite as fun.

What do you guys think?

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Well for starters, seeing as I was your test subject thus far, I can let you know when I upload a new video and we can take a look at that to test your theory on the limit.

As for the battle videos on the Wiki, it would appear that with this problem it would be near impossible to keep an accurate and up-to-date listing of th videos with the upload limit we apparently have.

Unless somebody can come up with a good way of keeping all of these videos, I say that we simply upload them as we have so that those who choose to can watch them whilst they still exist (although, with the league that seems to not be very long at all :x). This really is quite the problem, though. Seeing as it would be quite the ordeal to keep track of removing videos that have been purged to keep the list accurate. =\

Hmm, a whole lot of problems and I have no answers... >>;;

Ugh, this sounds awkward at best :-\

Umm... I'll get on testing that video limit at some point this evening if we haven't diagnosed the issue yet; And I'll give the video topic a think-about whilst I finish my last day at work experience today.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I can think of only two ways around it, and they're probably too complicated for people to bother with.

1) is using an R4 or AceKard (or anything similar) to load up Platinum and get the VS Recorder, and then download the vids. Then, load up that game save in an emulator and record the matches. Of course, this would take a very long time to do and would rely on one or at best a couple of people. So it's not really feasible.

2) is just using your mobile phone or whatever to record the matches manually. But that also sucks.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
All those beautiful matches ;____;

I have my favourites saved on the VS recorder thankfully, but still - this really sucks. Obviously testing must occur, but if it proves true about the user limit or whatever then organising the Video's becomes a bit pointless. Data already mentioned that one of ours is gone, so I guess a fair few of my league matches are gone too. It's a huge shame, but we'll maybe have to do a 'Featured videos' instead and once the person reaches six, the oldest gets replaced. That'd keep it up-to-date and working, but meh :(

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Magpie said:
All those beautiful matches ;____;

I have my favourites saved on the VS recorder thankfully, but still - this really sucks. Obviously testing must occur, but if it proves true about the user limit or whatever then organising the Video's becomes a bit pointless. Data already mentioned that one of ours is gone, so I guess a fair few of my league matches are gone too. It's a huge shame, but we'll maybe have to do a 'Featured videos' instead and once the person reaches six, the oldest gets replaced. That'd keep it up-to-date and working, but meh :(

Was thinking that, too.

As helpful as it could be to do the stuff you mentioned, Alex, I have a hunch it'd just become tedious after awhile. =/

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I guess it could look a bit like this~

Bob
123743478734823 Bob vs Bill
127387237271274 Bob vs Ben
283781728723172 Bob vs Jane
123982380912838 Bob vs Jenny
112372737263781 Bob vs Jess
123827392732733 Bob vs Chuck

Bill
123743478734823 Bill vs Bob
127387237271274 Bill vs Ben
283781728723172 Bill vs Jane
123982380912838 Bill vs Jenny
112372737263781 Bill vs Jess
123827392732733 Bill vs Chuck

Ben
123743478734823 Ben vs Bob
127387237271274 Ben vs Bill
283781728723172 Ben vs Jane
123982380912838 Ben vs Jenny
112372737263781 Ben vs Jess
123827392732733 Ben vs Chuck

The list may get a bit long, but at least it's organised and fairly easy to maintain XD

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
After doing a quick little test with LoN's help, it would appear that I can only recall the video data of the five(5) most recent videos that I have uploaded. :x

If this is truly the limit, it's even worse than we originally thought it to be. I suppose we'd need somebody else to test this as well to back up my results thus far.