• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Charizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about my Charizard...
I know that I'm not supposed to have more than one fire type move, but since I mainly revolve around double battles, would it be okay for him to have Flamethrower and Heat Wave?

edit:here's the reason I want both:
Flamethrower in-case I run into a pokemon that absorbs fire attacks partnered with a pokemon fire attacks are super-effective against

Heat Wave used for a slightly more powerful substitute for when there isn't a flareon or whatever else has Flash Fire

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I think it's a great plan personally...
I like having one to hit both opponents, even at the cost of some power...
and one to hit just one of the opponents...

but, Plapti thought otherwise... I had a full on discussion with him over my water team...

I had Kingdra with Surf and Hydro Pump, paired with my Vaporeon with Water Absorb....
Kingdra's Swift swim would be in play because of Rain Dance for speed... and I wanted Hydro Pump for when I needed to focus on just one enemy I needed dead then.

I think giving attacks like that to your charizard is great... but only if it is mainly or only going to play in double battles...

Its not TOO bad to have both, but personally, I think Having both is kinda pointless, as very few people use pokemon with Flash Fire, So I personally wouldnt, it is up to you, however.

I also feel I should point out, moves that hit multiple targets (surf,HW,EQ, W/e) are weaker for each Target they hit.. meaning where they HIT both targets, the damage is noticably less effective then that of a regular attack (FT,TB,IB. W/e)

Figs is Right. If the Base Power of Heat Wave is 100, in Double Battles, Heat Wave will only be at a Base Power of 50. Most of the Pokemon with Flash Fire are part Fire any who, and there aren't that many Pokemon who have Flash Fire. There are only 10 Pokemon that have Flash Fire. If you don't mind the weaker attack, go ahead, other wise, Having both is okay, but you're going to lose a Slot for coverage on your team.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Yes, but sometimes even that power of 45 (or 67.5 with STAB) can be enough to get a job done... if an attack with a power of 67.5 is enough to kill ONE opponent, wouldn't it be nice to get off some bonus damage on the other one? That's my main reasoning behind choosing the split attack...

But then for opponents who are a higher threat, you may not want to risk letting them live and then you can focus all of the power on that one foe...

My point is that Flamethrower will do more over two turns to two Pokemon attacking one each then Heat Wave will over two turns. Heat Wave also has the PP issue, so Flamethrower is the best option, Like I said before, It's okay to have it but not highly recommended when Attacks Like Earthquake are. You just lose some coverage in your strategy.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Heat Wave also has a minor accuracy issue too, if I'm not mistaken... 90 accuracy was it?

Flamethrower only does slightly more Damage attacking that way
Two Heat waves = 135 Power
One Flamethrower = 142.5 Power

Not even a 10% difference in power, which is considered minor in held Items such as Sharp Beak, No?

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
What are your Charizard's attack stats, and what other attacks does it know?

:-\ I thought I'd have you convinced that both of them would be good... I guess I'll be the only person with two attacks of the same type on a pokemon...

uh...it's attacks are:

Flamethrower
Heat Wave
Fly (stab and I use him to get me around)
Dragon Rage (whenever I just need to take out that last big of health w/o wasting PP)

I'll edit with stats when I get a chance

Other than Not having Fly (It's understandable) Fly is dropped for Air Slash. Unless you plan to re-breed.
Heat Wave can be dropped for what...um Focus Blast, Dragon Pulse, or a favourable Hidden Power (Ground/Grass).

Charzard
-Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-HP Ground/Focus Blast/Solarbeam
-Dragon Pulse/HP Grass/Electric

First two moves are STABed.
HP Ground/Focus/Solarbeam hit Rock-Types. (Don't use Solar Beam unless you get Sunny Day support.).
Dragon Pulse and HP Electric/Grass for coverage.

I also prefer a Modest nature.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
[typed before Plapti's post was made]

If those are it's attacks, then teaching it Air Slash in place of one of the fire attacks puts you in the almost same predicament all over again... Except with flying moves

I'd suggest something like Brick Break for rock types that pose a challenge to your Charizard... Since in most cases it will be faster... But this depends on your Attack in comparison to your Special Attack.

Also, Dragon Rage is really better off being left out... Except when the opponent has tanked up their defenses, Dragon Claw/Pulse I can almost guarantee would do more damage...
Right now I'm thinking Rock Slide or Earthquake since it will be a double battle participant... Both will have weakened power, but offer the chance to hit both of your opponents without doubling up on types...
I'm going to look at the attacks Charizard can learn, I'll edit this, or post again if I find something better than the two aforementioned attacks...

[edit]
Plapti's attacks are all special, unless your Charizard's Attack is dwarfed by it's Sp. Attack, I'd suggest at least one physical move...

I have a few Movesets you could try, if you want.

Modest
Power Herb (makes Solarbeam work instantly without Sunnyday.)

Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Dragon Pulse
Sunny Day

This set is basic, yet effective, Sweep with Flamethrower/Dragon Pulse, If you sense a switch, use Sunny Day to instantly use Solar Beam and Power up Flamethrower. If they switch to a rock earth or water type, and you didnt have a chance to Sunny Day, use Solarbeam with the Power Herb to take care of the problem quickly.

Another one is.

Adamant
Salac Berry/Leftovers

Fire Fang/ Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Return/Shadow Claw
Substitute/Earthquake
Belly Drum

This one is a bit risky, you will need to have enough Health to use substitute, maximize attack with belly drum, If Charizard Survives this (and you are using a Salac Berry) It should be strong and fast enough to kill a lot of things.. (Firefang + Stab + Max Attack + Flare = Pwnage.) I the second attack move can be anything, really, Just see what you might need coverage with, Leftovers is more for using the Belly drum with less risk, so use Earthquake instead of Substitute, and Flareblitz instead of Fire Fang.

Status
Not open for further replies.