• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Chosen Favourites Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
ChosenFavourites_zpshirl8qhp.png

Everyone has their favourite Pokemon, sometimes regardless of how useful or otherwise they may be in competitive matches. One piece of advice I've given out when using your favourites is to pick your one favourite Pokemon, and then build the rest of the team around it if you want to achieve success with it. That advice will be coming into play in this tournament, except with one key difference.

You aren't choosing that one favourite, I am.

That's the catch for this tournament; one of your team members will be chosen by me. You can use it and build it however you wish, but your team must contain that one Pokemon I have assigned for you. That one Pokemon will likely be something you rarely see used, so you may need to employ some creativity to get it to work. Other than that the rules for this tournament are exactly the same as the previous 6vs6 Singles tournament, which are as follows:

Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any Pokémon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play. Thus:
A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Pain Split on its moveset.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Fling on its moveset.

Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize, in addition to the abilities Sand Veil and Snow Cloak, are not permitted in play.

Moody Clause: Pokémon with the ability Moody are not permitted.

OHKO Clause: A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.

Sleep Clause: Only one Pokémon may be put to sleep on the opposing team at a time, if not induced by a move such as Rest.

Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.

Baton Pass Clause: Only one Pokemon per team can have the move Baton Pass.

Pokémon may be up to level 100.

Banned Pokémon:

Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Dialga
Genesect
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Kyurem-W
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zekrom

Banned Items:

Gengarite
Kangaskhanite
Salamenceite
Soul Dew

All matches will take place on Pokemon Showdown, which can be found here:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/

...and signups will end on October 6th 2015. If you wish to compete, simply post here saying so and you're in. Note that this thread is for signups and queries only, and anything else posted in here will be deemed SPAM.

Signups ahoy.

- AzureEdge
- SpaxThePacifist
- MegaBlastoise15
- BlackoutSLM
- Brendan Savem
- Steveplays
- Teapot
- Shocari
- Psycho Monkey
- Kyubeon
- Lodz_Darkanine

Last edited:
This sounds cool. I like building my team around circumstance, picking a pokemon from my box that just happens to have an ideal nature, and building the rest of my team around that. This will be pretty close. I'm in.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
This sounds like a really interesting challenge. Count me in.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Meee~!

Question, though: what kinds of Pokemon will you be assigning us? It'd be rather unfair if someone got something like Garchomp and someone else got Sunkern.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Pretty much all of them will be fully-evolved or Eviolite-worthy Pokemon that are rarely ever used and are either forgotten about entirely or have a notable fanbase despite their seeming obscurity.

So no-one will be having anything amazingly overused and powerful as their favourite, nor anything completely and blatantly unusable. That being said, some of the less-popular legendaries may end up being tossed into the mix, so there may be some fluctuations in power along the lines, but there won't be much.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
They'll be PM'd out sometime before the signup deadline, so no-one will know except you until the end - unless you tell everyone what you got, but that's your call.

On that note, once you receive that PM you will need to respond to that PM with your complete team in order to confirm your signup.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since I've nothing better to do, I will be revealing each of your chosen favourites today. This should hopefully give you all sufficient time to plan and prepare. Once you've received your chosen favourite courtesy of myself, you will need to reply with your full team of Pokemon that you plan to use, moves, hold items and all for each one, using the following format:

Pokemon @ Hold Item
Nature
Ability
EVs

- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

Anyone who hasn't signed up yet but wishes to, do not worry; your chosen favourite will be given to you within 24 hours of you signing up from today onwards, so as to ensure you've given as much time as possible to prepare. The signup/team confirmation deadline is still October 6th as stated.

EDIT: Just to note, your name in the signups list will go bold when you register your team with me, so don't worry if I don't reply - just check the list and you'll know if I've seen your team or not.

Last edited:

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
Sorry, but I will have to withdraw from the tournament. I just can't see myself having enough free time next month like I thought I would.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Just over a week remaining to confirm registration. So far only MegaBlastoise, Shocari and Psycho Monkey have PM'd me their teams.

If you've yet to finalize your team members, I'd consider speeding yourselves up a bit - these two weeks could go by faster than you realize.

Unfortunately, I'll have to withdraw from the tounament. I'm about to start a new job that will consume most of my time. Sorry about that.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Signups are now officially over. If your name is in bold, you have logged your team and you are eligible now.

The first round battle brackets will be posted later today, so keep your eyes open for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.