• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Other Double Battle Advice

Been having lots of online battles, have to say it's been fun.
Have had about 124, won 24 of them. More after posting this topic.
Even if I'm winning, or losing - I'll battle all the way to the end without quitting.

Been using one team with some success than others I have made (have about 7 teams)
Out of my 24 victories, 20 of them is for my current team.
Open to any kind of advice.

Before posting - have to mention: Double Battles is my specialty
giving advice, or opinions, it's for double battles.

(shiny) Sylveon @ Leftovers
Nature - Bold
Ability - Pixilate
EVs - not sure how to find them (if you don't mind show me how), it's the main part I'm still bad on
- Wish
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
(unrelated to advice/opinion, those curious: took me about 9,800 eggs to hatch shiny female)

Liepard @ Blackglasses
Nature - Jolly
Ability - Prankster
EVs - ???
- Dark Pulse
- Fake Out
- Nasty Plot
- Assist (I know it's the only 'bad move' for competitive, kept it only since its my favorite 'cat move' - at times, it has helped out)

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Nature - Jolly
Ability - Steadfast
EVs - ???
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail

(shiny) Ninetales @ Charcoal
Nature - Timid
Ability - Flash Fire
EVs - ???
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Fire Blast
- Confuse Ray
(unrelated to advice/opinion, those curious, got it as a shiny Vulpix from a friend on YouTube)

Luxray @ Flame Orb
Nature - Modest
Ability - Guts
EVs - ???
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Facade

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Nature - Timid
Ability - Water Veil
EVs - ???
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power

Typical double battle starts:
Sylveon & Liepard - Hyper Voice + Fake Out - after that switch Liepard out, unless it has a good chance on battling (about 20% chance)
my usual 3rd Pokemon is Lucario, 4th (final in double battles) 80% of the time is Ninetales, will alternate between Luxray & Floatzel, depending on which Pokemon I think my opponent might use, it's always a 'fun' risk.

Unrelated to advice - I don't like or do hacking/cloning - don't know how and don't wish to learn either - I do all my breeding the old fashion way.

As mentioned: open to opinion, advice, criticism - and a change or two if highly recommended (except for Liepard's Assist)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This needs more than a change or two. There's a set of guides stickied at the top of this board which will go over basic fundamentals, and Lucario and Ninetales' movesets tell me you could do with looking over the basics again.

As for doubles in particular, I'll tell you the basics for that here:

- PROTECT. Unless you have a very, VERY good reason not to have Protect on a doubles set, it should be on every set you use.

- Doubles tends to be quite offense-oriented and fast-paced. For that reason alone Nasty Plot and Wish are nowhere near as effective as they are in singles battles due to the turn of inactivity they require to set up being more prone to backfiring. Moves such as these need to be used very sparingly and carefully, or in the case of Wish in doubles, not used at all. Keep it simple but effective.

Also if you're having to switch your lead out 80% of the time on turn 2 it's because your lead combination is bad, and it's probably why your win:loss ratio is as poor as it is on top of everything else wrong here.