• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Doubles tourny Rules creation?

Right all I know we have our standard rules for this tournament but I wanted to pose an interesting question... should we create a doubles specific set of rules which may let certain pokemon be unbanned for doubles as it was at the Manchester tournament? If many saw my battles Garchomp was useful but wasnt devastating as it was in singles. Also the idea of changing the item/sleep clauses may come into being. I would be very interested to see what discussion comes out of it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Doubles tourny Rules..

I'm pretty neutral on it myself, so I'm going to stay that way. I wouldn't mind seeing it unbanned because doubles isn't the same as singles, nor mind if it stays banned. I'll let the people actually competing discuss this one.

Nice question, Bal. :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Given that the rules for the Manchester tournament worked out brilliantly for us and no issues with Garchomp and Latias raping everyone arose from them being legal, I think the Manchester ruleset would be the best one for any future doubles tournaments here.

I don't know if using them for the mono-type tournament next week would be too short notice for people, but the ruleset definitely works very well.

After using Garchomp in the Manchester Tournament, I could easily see how easy he could be taken out. Many pokemon pack both ice and dragon moves and could easily put Garchomp on the bench just for the fact he will get killed in one shot pretty much regardless of which one of the respective moves are used on him. I think personally we should have a separate set of rules for Doubles since we are seeming to take more of an interest in them (and we have a baby league rule set so why not?) plus i think you may find that other pokemon that suck in singles may up their game in doubles and possibly get banned it can work both ways.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Would one of you be able to post the rules changes the Manchester tournament had? I'm curious to know what you meant about the held item and sleep clauses being different. I'll save comments on those until after I can view the rules.

Edit: KoL shared the rules with me over the chat and we discussed things. My vote, which KoL and LoN agreed with, was to keep the Charms Banned List for the upcoming Mono-type tourney but use the Manchester tourney clauses (or lack there of).

As for the league double battles 'round, I'd say Manchester rules all the way. They seemed to work well enough.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Linkachu said:
As for the league double battles 'round, I'd say Manchester rules all the way. They seemed to work well enough.

94.png

You better watch out...

You're going to cry....

You're going to pout....

I'm telling you why.........

No Sleep Clause is coming to toooowwwwwnn.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahahahaha Lol I love it I am guessing your best friend Gengar is making a almighty comeback hehe. Welcome back Hypnosis dream eater :p

EeveeIsBrown said:
So with this new rule set what pokemon are going to be unbanned then?

I posted about it all in the official thread, Emma:

LoN said:
Note:
Between myself, Katie and KoL, we came to the conclusion to run this tournament without the OHKO, Sleep and Evasion clauses. If you feel like it, you may use a team which would otherwise violate these clauses. We decided on this on the basis that it worked well at the recent Manchester tournament - although, we are keeping to our own 'Charms banlist for the critters such as Latias and Celebi.

I'm gonna tell people at the first meeting today as well, so this is just for those I won't see there. :)

The wiki page has been edited accordingly.

Short version:
Rules that apply to the tournament are: Current 'Charms banlist, Item Clause (One duplicate still allowed), Species Clause, Fair Game Clause. Thats all :)

So whatever you see on our current banlist, found in our Standard Competitive Battling Rules thread, is also banned for this tournament. Nothing has been banned or unbanned from what we usually have banned and unbanned. Its just the clause changes :)

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
@LoN: For the Mono-type Tourney, yes the banned list is the same as current.

However, the point of this topic is to discuss a possible rule change for Doubles battling going forth after the Tourney. I know that Garchomp and Latias were not banned in the Manchester Tourney, so it's being argued that they should be unbanned for double battles seeing as they weren't that huge of a threat.

I'm not sure if anything is really specified yet, though.

Sir Red said:
However, the point of this topic is to discuss a possible rule change for Doubles battling going forth after the Tourney. I know that Garchomp and Latias were not banned in the Manchester Tourney, so it's being argued that they should be unbanned for double battles seeing as they weren't that huge of a threat.

I'm not sure if anything is really specified yet, though.
I think the argument against the banned Dragons was that, we felt in chat that Latios/Latias/Garchomp would work very well in doubles - there wouldn't be a need for Yache Berries everywhere, and the Lati's can allow Garchomp to freely Earthquake each turn. Plus they're pretty resilient to Ice/Dragon moves themselves, albeit they do have more weaknesses than that pair.

I reckon any clouds of doubt or confusion over the dragon team should be quelled after this tournament, unless no one uses a team of them that is :p If a team of Dragonite/Salamence/Kingdra/Altaria seems to be too superior then we'll probably keep them banned (although another alternative might be unbanning the Lati's for Psychic teams only? Random spontaneous thought)