• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Dungeons and Dragons: Dragons and Treasure

I've been wanting to have a go at playing the Dungeon Master for Dungeons and Dragons for a while, but the local group I'm a part of and our ongoing adventure often gets waylaid by unforeseen events and public holidays, it might take years before we finish it. Then I remembered that it was the good people at Pokecharms that got me into tabletop games in the first place, so I thought why not return the favour?

So this thread is mainly to gauge interest. I was thinking of running the game on Roll20; the go to application for online tabletop games. I'm aiming to run "Hoard of the Dragon Queen", the first official module for the 5th edition of D&D. I'm hoping for weekly Saturday afternoon sessions (GMT, which is early morning in the US), but that is up for negotiation. So anybody interested in a D&D adventure, veterans and newcomers alike?

I'd love to join in, but I have to ask if you had a specific time in mind? It's just that I'm GMT+10, so if it's later in the afternoon it will just be too late for me. I don't need any more help not sleeping, you know?

We can work with that. My Saturdays are pretty free regardless, so I can work with whenever. Or another day even, lets see what other folks might think

I'd love to join, and for the most part my Saturdays would be free. Besides, I've been trying to find a group to D&D with for while. I haven't played in a while, but I wanna start again,

Glad this is starting to get attention now. Still need a couple more participants for a minimum party, but I think we can start talking details on the adventure, like characters and such. Anybody who's played 5e before will know how it all works, with classes and backgrounds setting the basis for how your character will be walking into this adventure. Anybody that doesn't know how it all works will need to start here. You can use any of the material in the players handbook or any officially published material to create your character, though I'd ask that you don't pick something that's only appeared in Unearthed Arcana so far. So warriors, mages, tricksters, have at thee.

If you're ready to start exploring backgrounds, Hoard of the Dragon Queen has a number of features and bonds that help tie your character into the story itself. Feel free to use, or even modify, these to build your character if you wish.
The year is 1489DR. And the Cult of the Dragon is on the rise. This ancient cult of dragon worshippers has begun growing stronger and bolder in the South, pillaging and looting villages all across the Greenfields. These attacks are beginning to draw the attention of the realm, with stalwart guardians looking to defend these villages, and the curious wondering what brings such a legendary sect to banditry. And in the middle of it all, a new band of adventurers, all with reasons of their own to take up arms against the Cult.
  1. The Debt: Leosin Erlanthar, a wandering monk, once saved your life. He's sent urgent word for you to meet him in a small town called Greenest. Looks like it's time to pay off that debt.
  2. The Defender: When an orc raid drove your family from your home, the people of Greenest took you in. Anyone who threatens Greenest is your sworn enemy.
  3. The Dream: Every five nights, you have a strange sequence of apocalyptic dreams. The world is destroyed by cold, choking fumes, lightning storms, waves of acid, and horrible fire. Each time, the dream ends with ten evil eyes glaring at you from the darkness. You feel a strange compulsion to travel to Greenest. Perhaps the answer to the riddle of your dreams awaits you there.
  4. The Mission: Ontharr Frume, a crusading warrior and champion of good, is your friend and mentor. He has asked you to travel to Greenest in search of rumors of increasing dragon activity.
  5. The Rescuer: You have heard rumors that your close childhood friend, a half-elf named Talis, has been kidnapped by a strange group of dragon cultists. Your investigations into the cult have led you to the town of Greenest. You must save her!
  6. The Scion: Being the grandchild of a renowned dragon slayer is usually a good way to impress people, but just last week a gang of ruffians attack you. You barely escaped with your life, but as you fled, the ruffians told you that the Cult of the Dragon never forgets and always avenges. You're hoping to lie low in a sleepy little town called Greenest until this blows over.
  7. The Redemption: On his deathbed, your father confessed that he had become involved with a group called the Cult of the Dragon. They paid him to smuggle goods across the Sword Coast. Wracked by guilt, he begged you to investigate the cult and undo the evil he may have helped foster. He urged you to begin your search in a town called Greenest.
  8. The Scarred: The dragons destroyed everything you hold dear. They killed your family and destroyed your home. Now, with nothing but what you carry on your back and a horrid scar of the near fatal wounds you sustained in the attack, you seek revenge.
  9. The Retribution: You and your family were members of the Cult of the Dragon, until your rivals in the cult arranged to wipe you out. Though they slaughtered your kin, you survived, but they think you're dead. Now is your chance for vengeance! Your hit list consists of three names: a human cultist named Frulam Mondath, a half-orc named Bog Luck, and a half-dragon named Rezmir. You have arrived in Greenest, knowing it's next on the cult's list of targets.
  10. The Reincarnte: You have a secret. You once were a gold dragon who served Bahamut. You were too proud and vain, to the point that Bahamut decided to teach you a lesson. You have been trapped in a weak, humanoid body, with your memories of your former life but a dim shadow. You remember only one thing with perfect clarity: Bahamut's command to go into the world and prove your devotion to the cause of good. If you prove worthy, on your death you will return to his side in your true form.
Optional Feature: Cult of the Dragon Infiltrator
You have infiltrated the ranks of the Cult of the Dragon. Having spied on the organization for quite some time, you are familiar with its inner workings and customs. You have a second identity as an initiate of the cult, enough of a facade to blend in as a simple grunt or servant.

Optional Feature: Dragon Scholar
You have studied dragons and their lore for many years. You can automatically identify locations built or used by dragons and can identify dragon eggs and scales by sight. If you fail an Intelligence check to recall lore relating to dragons, you know someone or some book you can consult for the answer unless the DM rules that the lore is unknown.

I'm being pretty brief here, so if you have further questions, you're entitled to ask.

Last edited:
Just so you get an idea of what I'm thinking character-wise, I'm looking at playing a Fallen Aasimar Warlock (probably with a Great Old One as a patron). I really liked the Scion bond described for this campaign so I think I'll try to incorporate that into my character. Background will probably be noble.

Also, I'm assuming we'd be starting at level 1 for this, or would it be something higher?

Last edited:
Yes. We do indeed start at level 1. HoDQ will take characters up to at least level 8. And much further if we account for the full Tyranny of Dragons storyline, but I'll get into that once we get that far.

On account of your character. It all looks good, though if you're taking an evil route with your character (as that's usually where fallen Aasimar tend to fall), be careful not to let your evilness deviate, or even divide the group as a whole. Inter-party conflict is a great plot device, but can ruin the fun for others if it compromises their ability to play. If you're going with the Scion background though, it's likely that you're probably going for a neutral alignment anyway, in which case my point is moot.

Last edited:
It's been almost a month since the last update, but if you haven't started the adventure yet, I'd love to join or I'd love to join in another campaign. I'd have to catch up to speed on 5th Edition rules - the last time I played was 3.5 edition - but I've been looking to get back into the game.