• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Dying for Power [18+ Sign Up/OOC]

Hello hello! It's been some time, and I'm back with a new roleplay concept!

~~~

For centuries, villains have come and gone, seeking ultimate power for a vast variety of reasons. They looked for the power of legendaries, mega evolution, ultra beasts... Yet time after time they've been thwarted by brave trainers, wishing to protect the world they knew, and the people and pokemon within it. It's become almost so predictable, people could mark their calendars with the next potential end of the world.

Yet for some time, there has been peace. Within all regions, the Champions have become closely bonded with local legends, stomping out evil before it can rear its ugly head. With such power, it should be impossible that anyone could step out of line. It was an age of forceful peace.

However, something was brewing behind the scenes. A group was forming, unhappy with the absolute power that ruled them. Twisted intentions and terrible beliefs formulated a science so sinister, even those who conceived it could not stand to test it on anyone but themselves. If it worked, it was possible even the legendary pokemon would have to kneel before them.

You see, there are legends as old as humans and pokemon, talk of a hybrid species that was stronger than any creature. Some called them Titans, others Monsters. Now they are referred to as Gijinka. However, true Gijinka have not existed for millennia, having been destroyed by the legendaries that feared them and believed that their existence put the world in peril.

After years of research, a conclusion was drawn: to simply "create" a Gijinka was impossible. Splicing genes, surgically inserting features of a pokemon... Playing god like that was too complicated to be done in one life time. There was a way, however, to cut corners, to insert oneself between two worlds and, hopefully, gain the best of both. It would involve cheating death itself.

The key was ghost pokemon: creatures that once had lives, both human and pokemon, yet their very souls would transform and prevent them from leaving this world. With extensive study, this group of humans believed they could catch themselves in the perfect moment, in the middle of a transformation, merging their soul and their body into something beyond human or pokemon. They knew, at the end of the day, much of their design was based upon hope and random chance. They knew, from the very beginning, they would have to suffer as a price for power. They never knew just how much pain they would endure...

You're part of a small group of scientists who are attempting to gain the power of ghost pokemon without fully dying. By "killing" themselves, they can catch the moment their soul begins to transform into a ghost and create a pause in the process, long enough to revive their body. The body, which adapts to the half-transformed soul, endures the painful process of becoming, essentially, an artificial "Gijinka", or half human-half pokemon. With the power they gain, the group hopes to remove the league champions from power, but their intentions beyond that may differ wildly.

This is an 18+ roleplay, meaning that I am expecting some of the following:
  • Graphic descriptions- As stated, the process is incredibly painful, so bloody/gore heavy descriptions of the transformation are likely.
  • Violence- Obviously, lots of fighting probably going to happen.
  • Sensitive topics- Any sensitive topics, such as suicide mentions, should still be put behind spoiler boxes and tagged. Although this is for mature audiences, please take such topics seriously as even adults can have issues with these.
  • Swearing- Although permitted, please keep it tasteful. No swearing every other word or dropping f-bombs with reckless abandon.
  • Relationships- If you want to have relationships of any type, everything is pretty much acceptable until such time as most people would take it to a bedroom or a private area. At that point, it should be kept private. If both players want, it can be taken to private messages, but if one player doesn't want to continue on, all parties involved must stop. If any party does not consent to be involved in writing or reading a scene such as that, to continue is sexual harassment and that will NOT be tolerated.
  1. AlsoDO NOT submit an application if you aren't at least 18. Because of the nature of topics discussed in this roleplay, underage players can get myself and others in considerable legal trouble. In many cases, just because of-age players were unaware that you lied, it doesn't mean we are free of legal consequence. Also, just because you are comfortable with the topics discussed and wouldn't try ever try and report us for harassment doesn't mean somebody, such as parents/guardians or official authorities, won't find out.
  2. I know some people like to have passwords to ensure that players read the whole introductory post, but I personally don't find them effective. A good application should reflect that the player has taken interest in all that is written in the primary post before they hit the submit button. I would also like to draw your attention to spoiler box above this one as well, as it describes what is acceptable 18+ content.
  3. I get it: I can be an intimidatingly wordy writer to some. I don't expect everyone to hold to my standards, or to lower themselves to mine. What I do expect, however, is good grammar and spelling, and the best possible attempt at writing a descriptive and coherent post. What isn't acceptable is txt spk, 1337 speak, deliberately ignoring capitalization or punctuation, or writing that is so riddled with grammar and spelling errors that it's next to impossible or at least very annoying to read. Everyone misses commas, accidentally uses the wrong form of "their" or "your", or redundantly uses words redundantly. Everyone gets writers block sometimes and can only summon perhaps a few sentences to post at best. However, do your absolute best, avoid purely conversational posts (ie, a post that only contains dialogue and no description of context, environment, characters, etc). For those that like long and wordy posts, go crazy! Don't let me limit your creativity!
  4. It bears reiterating that sensitive topics MUST be hidden in spoiler boxes and well labelled so those who may not want to read such things can avoid them. If you have a topic you are sensitive to that may not normally be considered a sensitivity (eg, suicide mentions will commonly get tagged, but if you have a high sensitivity to something like kissing or bugs), please let me know! I'll be sure to let others know as well so we can tailor our writing for maximum comfort of all!
  5. On the subject of characters, none of them should have their own pokemon. Because of the nature of the work they do, all time must be devoted to research, plus, just the appearance of being a group of trainers may put them under the scrutiny of some league champions and expose their work.
  6. When transforming, characters can only become stage 1 pokemon (ie, completely unevolved pokemon, meaning that pokemon that can pick up the ghost type later in their evolution line (Froslass, Decidueye...) are not valid options). They also cannot become legendary or mythical pokemon. Also, please keep in mind that some ghost pokemon are created under specific circumstances (eg, Phantump is said to be the soul of a child lost in the forest), so becoming one of these may require some stretching of circumstances.
  7. Please, no characters under 18. Perhaps child geniuses exist, but this group isn't so purely evil that they would allow a child to die in the name of research.
  8. Remember to check out the Pokemon Roleplay rules of the site! Never hurts to get a refresher as well.
Also a disclaimer for mods that may be checking this out: The use of legendaries here will be limited to NPC champions with one legendary per champion at max. The idea is that these champions will be the player trainers from the games, so the setting is basically a follow-up to all the existing games.
Please submit one application per character (max 2). Remove everything in parenthesis
Code:
[B]Username:[/B] 
[B]Name:
[B]Appearance:[/B] (Friendly reminder to give credit where it's due if you're using an image. Text descriptions are just fine as well!)
[B]Personality:[/B] (Please don't say "to be rped", and please use paragraph form, ie don't just give a list of descriptive words)
[B]Motives:[/B] (Why do they want the power to defeat the champions and legendaries? Include any relevant backstory here. Keep in mind that this is a lot to endure for a reason that's simply "because I can" or "just wants power")
[B]Pokemon:[/B] (Which ghost type pokemon do they merge with?)
[B]Other:[/B] (Anything else about your character that doesn't fit elsewhere)
Username: Evenir
Name: Chelsea Pater
Appearance: Standing a whole 5'2", at first glance the woman isn't exactly intimidating. However, her overwhelming personality and cold, icy blue eyes can silence a crowded room with little more than a sharp glance. Her small frame, warm medium toned skin and healthy, pixie cut dark hair, round and almost childish face are still quite gorgeous, but the resting bitch face alone can deter many suitors from even approaching her. In the past, she's earned the nickname "Cleopatra".
Personality: Chelsea is as cold as the numbers that she loves. It's not so much that she's antisocial, and actually she does quite enjoy spending her time around other people. The problem is her deeply held belief that the ends always justify the means. No matter who she steps on, no matter what she must sacrifice, she will get her way in the end. Her only hesitation would be sharing her past with others. People without her same values are fearful of what she's capable, though others that may carry her same belief may find her not only a great ally but even a descent friend. Although her goals are often her sole focus, she has no problem working together with others or making friends as a means to an end as well. She's not a robot, either, and is completely capable of growing attached to some. Being her friend can have its perks when trouble strikes, because she'll refuse to let anything bad happen to those she cares about.
Motives: When she was young, Chelsea was just as happy as any other child, determined that one day she would raise her Emolga to be the best pokemon on the playground. Her mother had passed away of illness when she was too young to remember, and was raised by her father, who always encouraged her to do what she had to in order to reach her goals, for without action they were merely dreams. She had no idea that her father was leading a rising villain group in the Unova region, gathering riches to give him and his daughter the best life he could, and giving the rest to his subordinates to live well also, as if a Robin Hood that only cared for the poor under his own wing. The league champion didn't appreciate what he was doing, and after a nasty night that left several people wounded and lost a family their fortune, the champion showed up on their doorstep, a legendary pokemon looming on his shoulder. While the father fought desperately for his daughter, who watched on fearfully, his strength was no match. The champion walked away with all the wealth they had accrued and his pokemon, and threatened to return if the gang ever reared their heads again.

Unable to live with his failure, losing the gang he had worked so hard to build up and his beloved pokemon, her father spiraled quickly downward. Even young Chelsea could not console him. She even offered him her own pokemon. Nothing could be done, and their house fell into disrepair. Eventually some people showed up on their doorstep, taking away a thinning Chelsea on charges of neglect. Even though she was handed off to another family, she would always attempt to runaway back to her "real" home. Finally, one day she managed to slip away, spending a few days navigating the country side with her Emolga to find her way back to the old house. When she arrived... The neighbors came running at the sound of screams, having to pry the girl away from the dangling, cold leg.

Since losing her father, Chelsea was never quite right. Quiet, detached from other children. When they could get her to speak, asking about her pokemon or aspirations, she would speak with disturbing coldness about defeating the champion one day. It went far beyond wanting to beat them at a pokemon battle, and in her early teens, her adoptive family forced her to attend therapy. When she attempted to lash out at one session, her pokemon was taken from her, and she was threatened with being locked away if she didn't "get over it" and "join the real world".

For her middle and late teen years, Chelsea played normal. She never went back to training, even refusing to take back her own pokemon. She kept her nose to the books, studying harder than any other, proving herself light years beyond her peers. By 18, she was graduating a presitgious college with her Bachelors, and within a year and a half after she had a Masters in Pokemon Origins and Biology. After reaching out to a few of her peers that she believed she could trust, she was the one who could really be attributed with forming the small alliance, her only focus being on crushing the league champions as an act of revenge. If she reaches that goal... well, she's not really sure what to do after that. She doesn't think about it.
Pokemon: Yamask
Other: She always refers to her adopted "parents" by their first names, if you can even convince her to talk about them. More than likely, she wouldn't hesitate to "take them out" if the opportunity arose.

This looks neat! Based on the description, I kind of inferred a slightly totalitarian hold over the people by the Champions and their power, so my character's motive/backstory seems to reflect that a bit. If this or anything else goes against what you have in mind for the RP and the world it's in, I can change it right away ^-^

Username: DragonFlye
Name: Kira Vayne
Appearance: Her hair is naturally brunette, but she bleached it in her when she was younger and later grew it out. As a result, the last two inches or so of her hair, cut in a bob that just reaches past her jawline, is roughly bleached blonde while the rest is her normal dark brown. She has sharp, chocolate-brown eyes and an average, unremarkable build. If she's been on one of her "research binges," her face can appear pale and a bit hollow, but otherwise she has a nice tan to her young features.
Personality: She has problems trusting other people, corporations, and authority in general. She is very inquisitive and passionate about her work, to the point that she can be lost within it without care for anything else, including other people, the law, or even to the point of self-destruction. Partly as a result, she can be irritable and prone to picking fights, but she is capable of showing true care to those she can find trustworthy. This isn't always expressed in the most traditional ways; instead she shows her fondness through humor and an overall softening of her generally abrasive behavior.
Motives: Her parents were scientists at a wealthy research institute, although they lost their jobs and were blacklisted for performing research that was considered dangerous (whether ethically or politically is questionable) when Kira was young. As a result, they had difficulty finding reasonably-paid jobs where they could use their skills, but continued to research on their own money. This forced them to live and raise their daughter in near poverty.

Little did they know, the clever girl liked to listen in on their conversations and read their books and notes when she could get her hands on them, forming the basis for her own curiosity and knowledge. As a young teenager, she dreamed of helping her parents with their project one day, though it could be argued that she was only seeking approval from the distant and inattentive couple. She had inherited a bright mind, so she felt bored and unfulfilled in their low-income, low-funded school district and acted out, developing a vicious attitude that kept her in constant trouble. One subject that she excelled at, however, was science and later, chemistry. One of her high school teachers noticed the focus that Kira had on science and disinterest in morality when asking questions and, aware of the family's history, reported her parents. After a surprise investigation, their research was discovered and her father was promptly sent to prison, leaving his devastated wife and guilt-stricken daughter to survive on their own. Her mother resented Kira for this, and kicked her out of their apartment two years later, the moment she turned eighteen. The young woman left in shock and never returned.

Although she had to struggle to get back up onto her feet, the young woman got into university on a combination of academic and income scholarships, continuing her interest in Biochemistry with more caution in who she became close to. In short, her motives began as a kind of morbid obsession to complete the research that cost her parents everything, but a part of her below the surface that feels hatred for authority seeks justice (or, perhaps, vengeance) against those in power for fragmenting her family and trying to hinder their scientific progress.
Pokemon: Shuppet
Other: None that I can think of, at the moment.

I would join, but I don’t know if I would keep up with this. I’m trying to find interesting Pokémon roleplays on here. So far it’s been trainer roleplays.

I don't expect this to be very fast paced, I'm pretty busy in real life, so it's not likely I'd be posting more than maybe once or twice per day. You're welcome to submit an application if you're still interested.