• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

General Gen 6 Fairy-Type

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member

screenshot_03_zpsac8143a2.png

Generation II gave us the Dark-Type and Steel-Type. Now Generation VI introduces the Fairy-Type, bringing the total number of Pokémon types up to eighteen. Introduced alongside a couple of brand new Pokémon, some older Pokémon have also gained this new typing. We'll bring you updates on this type as they become available.​

Statistics

Offensive
Super effective against:
[type=dragon][/type] [type=fighting][/type] [type=dark][/type]
Not very effective against:
[type=fire][/type] [type=poison][/type] [type=steel][/type]

Defensive
Immune to:
[type=dragon][/type]
Resistant to:
[type=fighting][/type] [type=dark][/type] [type=bug][/type]
Weak to:
[type=poison][/type] [type=steel][/type]

Pokemon with the Fairy-Type

New Pokemon

Mega Pokemon

Old Pokémon

Clefairy - [type=fairy][/type]
Clefable - [type=fairy][/type]
Jigglypuff - [type=normal][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Wigglytuff - [type=normal][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Mr. Mime - [type=psychic][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Cleffa - [type=fairy][/type]
Igglybuff - [type=normal][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Togepi - [type=fairy][/type]
Togetic - [type=fairy][/type] [type=flying][/type]
Marill - [type=water][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Azumarill - [type=water][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Snubbull - [type=fairy][/type]
Granbull - [type=fairy][/type]
Ralts - [type=psychic][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Kirlia - [type=psychic][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Gardevoir - [type=psychic][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Azurill - [type=normal][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Mawile - [type=steel][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Mime Jr. - [type=psychic][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Togekiss - [type=fairy][/type] [type=flying][/type]
Arceus - [type=fairy][/type]
Cottonee - [type=grass][/type] [type=fairy][/type]
Whimsicott - [type=grass][/type] [type=fairy][/type]

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
We've just updated the Fairy type chart with the full list revealed in this month's CoroCoro. Some very interesting choices in there. :)

I view that as a good idea. I don't like the idea of a Pokemon with no weaknesses, so it's good that Spiritomb and Sableye finally have a chink in their armor, if you will. Makes things more balanced, which I wholeheartedly support.

I know that Chansey (Blissey), Togetic (Togekiss) and dunesparce where CONFIRMED in this times coro coro scans so maybe we should add them

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
No, they weren't confirmed. The last CoroCoro scan batch revealed the mid-form starters, the Kanto Mega evolutions etc., but said nothing about the Chansey and Togepi lines OR Dunsparce. There is an unconfirmed rumor that states that - but that's all it is. A rumor, which may not have basis in reality.

We do not report rumors as facts.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, claiming Spiritomb/Sableye have no weaknesses is incorrect. They do have a weakness, you just have to go a roundabout way to exploit it.

A Pokémon with the Scrappy ability or one utilizing the Odor Sleuth or Foresight moves ignores the Ghost-type immunity to Fighting moves, thus allowing hitting Spiritomb/Sableye for super-effective damage with a fighting move. It's not in any way different to using Gravity or a Pokémon with the Mold Breaker ability to take out Eelektross, whose ability cancels out its type's only major weakness.

So excuse me if I'm not going to weep for the unfairness of Spiritomb/Sableye's lack of weakness or lament its loss to fairies.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Plus, neither were exactly defensive powerhouses anyway - no weaknesses doesn't equate to not being able to kill them. After all, if they were that unfair the competitive crowd (read: Smogon) would have banned them ages ago. The fact that they now have a weakness isn't all that much of a big deal.

After all, this same line of logic would decry Shedinja for gaining another type it's immune to. ;)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Personally I kinda find the strengths of the Fairy-type a bit too metagame centric for its own good and worry that they could become overpowered as a result. I'm still largely withholding judgement until after seeing how Fairies shake things up in competitions like VGC14 but overall it probably would've sat better with me if they'd given them a Fire-type weakness verses just making 'em ineffective against Fire-types. But again, no use in jumping to conclusions this early on, and hopefully Poison-types will see some well-deserved increased usage as a result.

Personally I kinda find the strengths of the Fairy-type a bit too metagame centric for its own good and worry that they could become overpowered as a result. I'm still largely withholding judgement until after seeing how Fairies shake things up in competitions like VGC14 but overall it probably would've sat better with me if they'd given them a Fire-type weakness verses just making 'em ineffective against Fire-types. But again, no use in jumping to conclusions this early on, and hopefully Poison-types will see some well-deserved increased usage as a result.

I am also very eager to see Poison types get more love! I cannot wait to break out my Ariados and Crobat ;)

A few notes I have on this regarding competitive Pokemon:

Outrage won't be as viable of a move as it is right now. If it hits something the first turn it will be locked into it and a Fairy switch-in will be able to do anything it wants while the Dragon can't do anything for a turn or two. Imagine if a Fairy-type trapper meets and sets up on a choice-locked Dragon-type move. That's scary.

Prominent Steel-type attackers (Scizor and Jirachi come to mind) might see even more usage because of their strengths against Fairy. Poison might be used more as a competitive attacking type, now that it hits something other than Grass super-effectively.

Some Pokemon such as Scrafty will be a bit easier to break since Fairy-type moves will quadruple in damage against it, and Fairy-type coverage isn't limited to Pokemon of the Fairy-type, so I expect its downfall.

It just depends whether we get good Fairy types and good Fairy-type moves or not. All for tonight~

I'm totally down with Spiritomb and Sableye having a weakness (Spiritomb is a pain in the ass), but I would have preferred it if fairy-types were strong against steel-types, not be something steel-types are especially useful against; Aren't steel-types strong against enough attacks as it is? At least they make poison-types more useful.

I know I'll get killed for this, but GameFreak tried to put a bit of logic with the strengths and weaknesses of the Fairy-type. In some works of fiction, cold steel kills fairies. They're basing that weakness off of that.

Note: Steel no longer resists Ghost and Dark, so it evens it out a bit.

I view that as a good idea. I don't like the idea of a Pokemon with no weaknesses, so it's good that Spiritomb and Sableye finally have a chink in their armor, if you will. Makes things more balanced, which I wholeheartedly support.
Well actually there still is; Tynamo, Eelektrik and Eelektross have no weaknesses because of their Levitation skin

Well actually there still is; Tynamo, Eelektrik and Eelektross have no weaknesses because of their Levitation skin

I'm aware of that. Did I say that Spiritomb and Sableye were the only Pokemon with no Type weakness? No, I didn't. I was was talking about these two, specifically, because legoboy_20 seemed upset about this, and also because i just wanted to talk about these two, because their part Dark Type appears on the Fairy Type stats as a weakness.

If there is a Fairy type gym, which is more than likely to happen, I think that it would be the funniest thing in the world if the whole gym was filled with large, terrifying men, and when you begin a battle with one of them they say something to you like "Do you even lift, bro?" If this was even remotely true I would ROFL!!! :) Just imagine like a major pro wrestler wearing pink battling you with a Fairy type Pokémon!

I know I'll get killed for this, but GameFreak tried to put a bit of logic with the strengths and weaknesses of the Fairy-type. In some works of fiction, cold steel kills fairies. They're basing that weakness off of that.

I'm aware of the logic regarding fairy-types and steel-types. I was just venting.

I didn't know about the ghost-type/dark-type thing, though, so thanks for telling me.

Don't forget about the ability Mold Breaker that can put them into misery. But yeah, without MB, no weakness. :L

Among the "old" poke's that was transformed into fairy types, I like Mawile the most, leaving only 2 weaknesses which are ground and fire :up:

Last edited by a moderator:

It does makes since because in the movie Maleficent, Maleficent says that iron (aka steel) hurts her and
Maleficent is a fairy and usually movie folklore has a ring of truth to it. Just a thought in a this.

but i have to say that i don't like that fairy type is strong against dragon type though but I'm just a big dragon type fan who doesn't like his overpowered buddies being cut down like that. I mean i thought that it was the ice types job to be effective against dragons. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
but i have to say that i don't like that fairy type is strong against dragon type though but I'm just a big dragon type fan who doesn't like his overpowered buddies being cut down like that. I mean i thought that it was the ice types job to be effective against dragons. :(
How about a fairy and ice type pokemon?

I know :( I just don't like dragon types power being cut down, but i guess that i can't change that. I'll try and give Dragon type and upper hand when i make the light type. I'll make dragon types immune to light type since most lizards get energized by the sun light (and most dragons are lizards). But we can talk about the light type more on my page. I really need help with this project so anybody can help.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'd like to see you resist having the god damn moon dropped on you.

Anyway, kids, stop bitching about Dragon-types getting nerfed. It was long overdue, they still only have three weaknesses whereas some types have many more, they still have many common resistances and most Dragon-types still sport ridiculously diverse movesets (and many of them have counters to commonly-seen fairies). Ice-type moves are stopped by a few dragon combinations - and let's face it, Ice is an awful type defensively. Dragons are still stupidly powerful. They just aren't the end-all-be-all derps.

That said, Fairies may seem a bit silly - but they made steel and poison types relevant again as attacking types and just for that I can't help but have some level of approval towards them even if they feel rather artificial and convoluted, as if they were created only to give the metagame a solid kick in the hea- Oh wait. That's EXACTLY what they were created for, and the metagame NEEDED that kick in the head.

It's been over a year since Fairies became a part of the game and they're here to stay. Get the -eff- over it.

I'd like to see you resist having the god damn moon dropped on you.

Anyway, kids, stop bitching about Dragon-types getting nerfed. It was long overdue, they still only have three weaknesses whereas some types have many more, they still have many common resistances and most Dragon-types still sport ridiculously diverse movesets (and many of them have counters to commonly-seen fairies). Ice-type moves are stopped by a few dragon combinations - and let's face it, Ice is an awful type defensively. Dragons are still stupidly powerful. They just aren't the end-all-be-all derps.

That said, Fairies may seem a bit silly - but they made steel and poison types relevant again as attacking types and just for that I can't help but have some level of approval towards them even if they feel rather artificial and convoluted, as if they were created only to give the metagame a solid kick in the hea- Oh wait. That's EXACTLY what they were created for, and the metagame NEEDED that kick in the head.

It's been over a year since Fairies became a part of the game and they're here to stay. Get the -eff- over it.
I Do Agree Actually And I'm Happy That Fairies Here To Make a The Neglected Types Back Up To The Spotlight But My Problem Are The Move Names. I Mean "Rough Play"? These Names Are Exactly What I Want In A Dragon Killer. I Hope They Expand The Moveset Soon

I Do Agree Actually And I'm Happy That Fairies Here To Make a The Neglected Types Back Up To The Spotlight But My Problem Are The Move Names. I Mean "Rough Play"? These Names Are Exactly What I Want In A Dragon Killer. I Hope They Expand The Moveset Soon

I know right. I mean poisons types have 2 weakness ( Ground and Psychic ) with steel being immune to poison. i like poisons types and I'm glad there getting the boost. Besides dragon type trainers (like me) could use metal types like Aggron (which is sort of dragonish) to get around this problem and since steel is effective against both fairy and ice that is like hitting two birds with one stone so i am kind of happy about this. but yeah some of the moves are kind of pathetic.
but still rayquaza could stand against a moon dropping on him. and i bet that a lot of dragon types could do that as well.

Last edited: