• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

FIGHT ME (The Pokken Thread)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, Pokken was released yesterday, and I know some of us have already picked up a copy!

What do you all think of it? How far are you through the game's single player mode, if at all, and how many of you have tried the online mode? And most importantly, who is your main?

I'm really digging it so far! I'm not usually a fan of this style of fighting game - I prefer the unrestrained movement options of Super Smash Bros. - but this one's pretty accessible. I'm currently ranked 6 in the Green Cup, but that's just because I've spent most of my time so far playing single matches against the CPU in an attempt to learn the controls. XD I haven't even ventured online, and to be frank, I probably won't do that very often - I'm not a huge fan of online play.

My main right now is Pikachu Libre. I love command grabs. That is all.

I don't think I'll ever be able to battle in a Pokemon game after this anymore. The graphics are beyond what I expected for this game! Every other Pokemon game'll seem chunky now. :)

Anyways, I do like how this one is set up. I kind of imagined more of a Super Smash Bros Wii U setup, but the switch between Field mode and Duel Mode opens up a lot of room to create your own fighting style. So far, as of right now, I'm ranked 80 in the Red Cup (Rank B), and I hope to venture into online play in the future at one point- even if it means I'll have to memorize every single one of those combo attacks and the regular attacks. (Seriously. I'm probably not even using 25% of the available moves for my Pokemon because I'm always spamming the ones I've already memorized.)

So when I first picked up the game, I started to Main as Gardevoir. I like the Calm Mind moves that you can do. However now I've been trying new Pokemon and Chandelure is growing on me.

Also, just as a side note, I'm a sucker for games where you can customize your character. I was a bit wowed to see how many outfits and such you can unlock - I wasn't expecting nearly that many! I'm only at C rank currently, and I expect I'll be unlocking even more as I progress through the story mode.
xCz6Dk3.png

To get into specifics, I really love the long-shirt-over-a-t-shirt aesthetic, and was pleasantly surprised to see exactly that as an option. My avatar is, thusly, adorable.

To get back on the topic of the game itself, though, I'm assuming that...
the fight right after D-rank against Shadow Mewtwo is unwinnable?
I'm kind of hoping so, otherwise that was just an embarrassing fight for me.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've been loving the game, too! Straight after finishing the basic tutorial with Charizard I took the game online for Rach Day (aka. @Prof. Cinders's birthday) and battled with her, @Doctor Oak, @Teapot, and @Demelza. Once we'd actually figured out how to work the code-based VS system it was really easy to work, and I don't recall any our battles suffering from lag. It was a great evening of battles. ^^

Since then I've continued to main Charizard and recently beat the Green League. Currently about to start into the Blue League and at skill level 19 with Charizard. Because I'm not currently staying at my own home I've been stuck playing Pokken on my younger sisters' Wii U, so I've been running a male character named Kenji. Once I'm back home full time I'll be using a female character but I'll still likely main Charizard (because I love how the thing moves and Seismic Toss is the best thing).

Current look for Kenji:
image.jpeg

@The Blue Avenger
That seems to be correct, although I managed to get the thing down to 180 HP and am curious what would have happened if I actually had managed to defeat it. XD

Last edited:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
the fight right after D-rank against Shadow Mewtwo is unwinnable?
I'm kind of hoping so, otherwise that was just an embarrassing fight for me.

You can win, but the odds are deliberately stacked against you and your record isn't affected by it as a result.

The same thing happens win or lose.

My current status:
WVW69jA-nfcKaun2uB.jpg
WVW69jA-o9EASzNQbb.jpg

(My Friendly record is slightly skewed by using my account as a general account on Friday).

Last edited:
Well, that's comforting. I barely managed to land a hit in that fight. Hopefully by the time it comes around again I'll be a little better prepared. XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
My main right now is Pikachu Libre. I love command grabs. That is all.

I'd like to make it known that after reading this post, I went on to test run Pikachu Libre and... fell completely and utterly in love with it. Now Libre is edging on becoming my new main with Charizard pushed to second spot. There's just nothing better than a masked Pikachu suplexing a Machamp/Garchomp. 8D

I'll give a proper update about my game progress once I've gotten the chance to play more of it on my own Wii U console. :)

I am really enjoying the game right now. I got to the Chroma League (last one) on Saturday since I played all day. The controls I found easy to remember. At first, I tried with a GameCube controller and didn't do anything, so I used the GamePad. My main is Garchomp level 53, and I still haven't done online.

I FINALLY BEAT RED LEAGUE

Lordy but that was an interesting set of battles. I was raging hard at that last story battle though. That first fight is murder. I got close so many times.