• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Fossil Pokemon

Who's your favorite Fossil Pokemon? How would you rank from greatest to least?

Here's my list:
1. Tyrantrum
2. Aerodactyl
3. Armaldo
4. Kabutops
6. Cradily
7. Rampardos
8. Aururos
9. Omastar
10. Archeops
11. Carrocosta
12. Bastiodon

Last edited:
  1. Kabutops
  2. Tyrantrum
  3. Aerodactyl
  4. Cradily
  5. Rampardos
  6. Armaldo
  7. Tortuga
  8. Archeops
  9. Aurous
  10. Omastar
  11. Bastiondon
  12. Armaldo.

Last edited:
1- Armaldo
I like its colors and its design. My favorite bug Pokémon, probably.
2- Kabutops
Its claws are awesome and that's all.
3- Archeops
Archeops is a bad Pokémon when battling, but still I like it a lot.
4- Cradily
Many people hate it but I find it funny and original.
5- Bastiodon
Not much to say about Bastiodon, it's nice and I like defensive Pokémon.
6- Aurorus
My first fossil. I like its original combination too, even though it's weak.
7- Rampardos
Such a cool Pokémon, but it's really bad and almost impossibile to use (weak and slow).
8- Omastar
I like Omastar, it's not ugly as many people say.
9- Aerodactyl
I'm sorry but I don't like Aerodactyl. Its design is too simple and its megaevolution is even worse.
10- Tyrantrum
I don't like Tyrantrum, it's featureless for me (I know this may sound strange, but it's just a T-Rex, nothing more).
11- Carracosta
Carracosta has a nice concept and an original type combination for a fossil, but it's ugly for me.

Sorry if I didn't add my motivations; I always add motivations, but this time I forgot to add them, I hope it's OK now.

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Good fecking grief, children. If you're going to have a list, explain why you rank things the way you do. Otherwise it's not discussion. Just spam. And that is never a good thing.

Anyhow. Let's see.

1 - Kabutops. The anthropomorphic, arm-bladed horseshoe-Crab-Trilobite-Whatever-beast gets my first place on grounds of design alone. I've appreciated the thing from day one - even in the days where its physical-attack geared nature and lacking movepool in the terms of physical attacks made it not particularly viable. I don't use Kabutops often, as there are quite a few better alternatives to it, but the thing is frelling nifty looking and MOST of the fossils have viable alternatives. So Kabutops it is! (Also, Kabuto is adorable)

2 - Aerodactyl. Not much to say about Dactyl, really. It's not actually a good representation of a Pterosaur - more of a strange prehistoric wyvern from hell with an underbite. But it's fast, it hits fairly hard and it carries a fair bit of diversity. The fact it was a 'bonus' fossil not part of one of the usual 'pick one' dealies also helped.

3 - Carracosta. Frankly, I'm not sure why the Archelon gets no love. It's the awesome sea turtle that Blastoise wishes it could have been, but with 50% more rocks and 50% less ridiculous cannons and cow face. Besides, after Cynthia repeatedly dashed her 10-levels-higher Braviary into one of mine in White and it only sort of MILDLY got dented, my levels of respect for the beast rose significantly. Also death flippers.

4 - Archeops. I was torn about the placement here. I like Carracosta and Archeops about equally and there is a certain sense of sheer hilariousness to Archeops due to the absolutely ridiculous way it flail-flies and its mismatched color-scheme. At least in terms of official art, Archeops looks like something that was made out of parts that don't quite fit - but fan art can (and has!) make the thing look pretty snazzy. Unfortunately, the poor thing is crippled by its absolutely retarded ability - and while that can be shuffled away in doubles or triples (and a close friend of mine has made a lovely zombie apocalypse vector out of it by pairing it up with Cofagrigus) - it otherwise... Yeah. Still gets a pretty high place because I do enjoy the weird quasi-dinosaurian-quasi-archaeopteryx.

5 - Armaldo. Alright. First off, let me begin with a fact - Anorith is beyond adorable, which is kind of hilarious when you think of the fact it's based on a fairly massive apex predator and is actually very true to the creature it was based on. Armaldo loses some points for sort of acquiring a somewhat nonsensical and very generic kaiju sort of conformation and losing the adorable wing-mirror sort of eyes for angry animu gecko eyes - but I am still quite fond of its large plated meta-arthropod nature and its type combination is rather fun really. I like my bug-types, damnit.

6 - Cradily. I also very much like my Grass-types! Cradily's official art makes it look a bit derpy but it has vast amount of utility hidden in that stalked green mass of its and with the right movesets it is an absolute force to be reckoned with. Of course there is the matter of Crinoids not being plants (they are echinoderms, more closely related to starfish, brittle stars, sea urchins and sea cucumbers) - but neither are fungi and yet assorted mushroom Pokémon are Grass-types. We'll give them a pass.

7 - Tyrantrum. This one I am vaguely torn about. I get what they were going for with the Tyrannosaurus rex / stereotypical king sort of look and the craggy sort of scales and I very much appreciate the fact they gave it feathers (albeit only partially) - but I feel the execution, at least officially, leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. That name too. Not exactly awe inspiring. Ah well, I guess we needed a T. rex that isn't actually Godzilla.

8 - Omastar. Omanyte is fecking adorable, but Omastar always looked incredibly stupid to me with its derpy eyes and its four-way beak and its general "What the fuck AM I even" surrounding it. They got too unwieldy to live and died out only to be brought back to life because what has science wrought. I'm sure there's probably some way to salvage the thing (I feel I may have done so once in the past?), but with all due respect to "Lord Helix" or whatever kids these days call the thing... Its only saving grace is being an ancient dead cephalopod.

9 - Rampardos. Ahh, Rampardos. The first 'proper' dinosaur fossil we got and it was fairly surprising they went with a pachycephalosaurid - but between its singular rock type, its stats (pure attack and fuck-all else, which doesn't allow it much in term of utilizing that ridiculous attack stat) and its general appearance (a horrible case of Sugimoritis indeed) leaves the thing occupying a fairly low spot on my list compared to the rest of the fossils. I don't hate it really, but I don't like it all that much either. Leaving this one to Roark.

10 - Aurorus. This creature has only one purpose - and that's to breed on its signature move, Freeze-Dry, into far-superior Pokémon that can use it far better than it ever could. That and to give Gamefreak a chance to play with a texture gradient whatever engine. This thing would be my least favorite of the fossils, if not for one last thing...

11 - Bastiodon. Or should I say Bastardon, as the thing is an absolute fucking bastardization of the entire suborder Ceratopsia. With a face that only Byron could love (and true to form, HE LOVES BASTIODON, AND HE LOVES DEFENSE!!! *backgroundsplosion*) and basically being a heap of defense and fuck all else, Bastiodon seems to serve one purpose and one alone - to be incredibly, incredibly annoying. Bad show.

1. Cradily- Other than the fact that I love Grass and Rock types, Cradily is ridiculously defensive. I even dare say I think it's underrated. The design is pretty unique and same goes with its type. I first started using it in the Hoenn remakes and I loved it ever since.

2. Kabutops- This thing is a beast. It's a killer horseshoe crab with scythes for hands. It looks awesome. Also, it does good on the physical offense and defense, although admittedly its movepool isn't great. But still, it's design and concept is what really does it for me.

3. Aurorus- Yeah I know. I like this thing more than the T-rex, sue me. Seriously though, ever since I saw Amaura, I thought it was so cute and wanted to see what it will evolve into. And what we got, I was not disappointed. Aurorus looks so elegant and has a great ability, Refridgerate. Plus, the move Freeze-Dry is pretty cool (no pun intended) to me.

4. Archeops- Gamefreak first off, WHY YOU GIVE THIS THING ONE OF THE WORST ABILITIES EVER?!?! That's really the one bad thing I can think of however. It has really good attacks and offense. And the fact that its based off the first bird is pretty cool. I also kind of like how its BST equals its Dex number.

5. Armaldo- So for some reason, this Pokémon reminds me of Kabutops a bit. But that doesn't make it a bad thing. I haven't use it much. but I really should. Anyways, other than the unique typing of Bug/Rock, it does look pretty cool. I really don't have a lot to say on this one.

6. Omastar- Weird how I started liking this thing since last year or so. I actually do like its design and its movepool isn't half bad either. Really I wish I could place it higher but I haven't had much experience with it. Also, have to say it. PRAISE LORD HELIX!!!!

7. Bastidon- Honestly, I don't know why I like this thing. It's only good for taking a lot of hits and stalling. And this is another one I had no experience with. Although I'll admit I think Shieldon is pretty cute (don't judge me). Nothing else to say really.

8. Carracosta- Here we have the sea turtle based Pokémon. I have used Carracosta before and while it's not horrible, it just doesn't do anything new. So really, my main problem with this one is that it doesn't stand out compared to other rock or water types. As far as Unova water and rock types go, I would rather use Jellicent and Gigalith. Not a bad Pokémon, but there are better options.

9. Rampardos- Again, nothing terrible but it's one I tend to forget about. Rampardos has a huge attack stat, but that's all it has going for it. It's defenses aren't even good, especially since it's a rock type. You would think it would have good physical defense but, (in Eggman's voice) NO!!!

10. Aerodactyl- I never liked this Pokémon, even back in the day. Not anything I hate but still. You can easily knock it out if you have a fast electric type Pokémon like Electrode or Jolteon (or anything that it's weak to really). Also, I don't like its Mega Evolution. The design just looks off to me.

11. Tyrantrum- I probably will never understand why this is more love than Aurorus. It has a good type and design sure, but that's about it. It's more a straightforward attacker which I'm not fond of personally. I would be glad to pick Aurorus over Tyrantrum anyday.

Last edited:
(my list, 1 being least favorite-12 being most favorite.) personally i like all the fossil pokemon. i think they are all great. which is why i always think its weird when museums have fossils in their museum like... you do realize you can have that rock turned into a pokemon right? i mean like if they are too lazy to have it sent to a a research facility I would gladly spend my gas money to drive or walk the many miles to some pokemon research facility and have it turned into a pokemon and bring it back to them. yet they would rather have lifeless boring rocks sitting in a glass case when they could have dinosaurs and this aint no jurassic park your gonna die type of dinosaur. these are pokemon pet them and feed them junk food type of dinosaurs. the best kind. rather have stoopid rocks on a shelf you could have a pokemon preservation with ancient once thought extinct pokemon. for that reason i loathe both the pewter city museum and the nacrene city museum. having dinosaurs is way cooler than some lame rock collection! (sorry rock collectors out there, but i stand by my words).

I've gone off topic long enough so here is my list.
11. aurous- this pokemon is alright. i like it. however the reason why this one is 11th place is because i like the others more.
10. cradily- first of all i wanna know... how does this thing even walk? it has a long neck, a giant head, and stubby adorable legs.
9. aerodactyl- this pokemon is pretty cool pokemon. it has a mega evolution and theres an episode where ash falls in a home and meets a bunch of fossil pokemon and this guy.
366.jpg

8. omastar is another cool pokemon. he is the evolution form of lord helix. i used him in my very first gen 1 playthrough. him, kabutops and aerodactyl will always be the o.g. fossil pokemon.
7. armaldo- kudos to anyone who named their armaldo, "armondo". this guy also has a cool design. he looks like a walking tank with feathers on its back.
6. rampardos is another cool fossil pokemon with a really cool design. a pokemon that likes to use its head when solving problems.
5. tyrantrum- first of all this pokemon needs to learn either thrash or outrage. second this ain't no ordinary dinosaur. its also a dragon. *drops the mic*
4. carrocosta- this is the big blue turtle boi. the teenage mutant ninja turtles aint got nothin on this big blue boi. his design is cool. him and blastoise would be best friends 4 life.
3. archeops- i love the fact that this pokemon can fly despite the fact that his earthly counterpart can't. (not sarasm, this is genuine praise.) if a real archaeopteryx could see this pokemon fly it would probably cry tears of joy. i like the facct that there is another flying dinosaur now. take that aerodactyl! your not so special anymore! i mean you kinda are because of the whole mega evolution and all but still. archeops is just really cool...
2. kabutops- his design is just amazing. he has scythes for arms. he's basicly the grim reaper in pokemon form. probably even scarier but not as scary as omaster( have you seen omastar's eyes? what happened?! why does it look so angry?!). kabutops was my favorite fossil pokemon... but then they made this guy.
1. bastiodon. its weird that so many people here seem to dislike him. bastiodon is awesome! he has a castle for a face. i wouldn't be suprised if his mouth opened up like a drawbridge. i love steel type pokemon. this guy is perfect. "Perfetto!"
swedish_chef.jpg

*SPECIAL MENTION* Relicanth- nobody ever talks about this pokemon. he is super cool. obviously there are too many interesting pokemon to just focus in this one random pokemon. also yes. i know this isn't a fossil pokemon but i thought he deserved a special mention because if you look at his pokedex entree it says that it has remained unchanged for 100 million years. this guy must have been around when the dinosaurs were right? that's super cool! even more cool considering the fact that his descendants haven't died off or turned into rocks, only to be left in a stupid museum.

Last edited:
I haven't used many of them, but of the ones I've used I like Kabutops the best. Sickle arms, good speed for a rock-type and it's one of the original 150.
I built a Bastiodon just to see what it can do. Was battling a guy with a Gengar online and Bastiodon (who I named Tin Man) tanked/Protected all of the Focus Blasts and forced a switch. That guy had to be mad, lol. Super annoying to fight against but kinda fun to use.
I dislike Aerodactyl for that same reason- it's hard for me and my Pokemon preferences/strategy to counter. I almost never have an answer for it's mega evolution. The thing is usually too much for me to deal with.
Tyrantrum was great running through X. Tore through basically anything I threw it up against. Wore out it's welcome after a while though.

The others never appealed to me enough to use them.