• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Gen V Competitive Team

All righty, I think I finally got a Gen V team together that I'm happy with and yet will still function ^^ My biggest worry is that I've overlooked a glaring weakness somewhere...As usual the EV spreads may or may not be moronic because I'm terrible at coming up with them lol

Mienshao @ Muscle Band
Jolly
Regenerator
4 HP, 252 atk, 252 spd

Hi Jump Kick
U-Turn
Rock Slide
Fake Out/Taunt

This is my lead and she serves as a scouter. Hi Jump Kick for STAB, U-Turn and Rock Slide to make sure it's safe to use Hi Jump Kick. I'm having trouble deciding between Fake Out and Taunt because I like them both.

Chandelure @ Wise Glasses
Timid
Flash Fire
4 HP, 252 sp. atk, 252 spd
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Energy Ball
Calm Mind/Confuse Ray

This set is to hit hard and maybe annoy a couple of things in the process. I thought about the Choice Scarf, but I worry that it's too slow and it's incompatible with Calm Mind and Confuse Ray. Too bad it can't get Trick instead.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Calm
Water Absorb
252 HP, 128 sp. def, 128 defense

Protect
Wish
Scald
Ice Beam

This set it probably bog standard, but it works in my case. The EV spread allows it to be a special wall which contrasts...

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Impish
Sturdy
252 def, 128 atk, 128 sp. def

Spikes/Stealth Rock
Whirlwind
Brave Bird
Roost

Again, this is standard, but it works. A lot of people like Spikes, but I prefer SR because no one is immune and it only needs to be used once to significantly dent anything weak to it. Whirlwind is there to phaze anything that sets up and to spread the SR damage. Brave Bird for a strong attack and Roost to keep Skarmory around longer.

Whimsicott @ Big Root
Timid
Prankster
252 Sp atk, 252 speed

Taunt
Stun Spore
Substitute/Leech Seed
Giga Drain

The EV spread and Held Item gave me isses here...not to mention that picking moves was very difficult. Whimsi is basically being used to annoy and stop sweepers by paralyzing them.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly
Sand Veil
4 HP, 252 atk, 252 spd

Swords Dance
Earthquake
Dual Chop
Substitute

What more can I say here? It's a beast with just the typing that wouldn't give my team an additional weakness lol.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
You know what I'm going to say already. You already know, but I'm going to say it anyway: Your EV spreads are whack.

- Skarmory needs full HP/Defense EVs to fulfill his role of physical wall to the best of his ability (which is what you want.) Having no HP EVs will not only make his job considerably harder (his HP is very low without training) but it'll also cause Brave Bird's recoil to sting a lot harder...and you gave him Attack EVs to boot.

- Vaporeon does not want split defenses. Its base stats are too low (especially Defense) to support mixed EVs on the defenses, and you'll actually get defense stats of similar values if you max out Defense and leave Sp.Defense as it is. If you want a special wall though, full HP/Sp.Defense all the way.

- Whimsicott does not want max Sp.Attack when he'll rarely be using Giga Drain anyway. Max HP is far better for his job role since it boosts his Substitutes and helps him take hits better. Leftovers works better than Big Root here due to sandstorms blowing around, but Big Root works fine. Also, you want both Substitute AND Leech Seed, not one or the other. They're both mandatory.

The only other thing to say is that Confuse Ray on Chandelure is only really helpful with Shadow Tag. Calm Mind all the way for that one.

You've got the EV spreads of the sweepers down fine, but it really goes downhill from there. Granted, the EVs are the only problem, but one worth working on nonetheless.

At least I got SOME of the EV spreads right this time around lol.

But at any rate, thanks muchly for the advice because it cleared up a couple of sets I was seriously debating. Giga Drain is getting the boot so I can have Substitute and Leech Seed--I just can't choose between Taunt and Stun Spore atm. Chandelure will be Calm Minding for sure. Also good to have the EV advice for my non-sweepers as I was literally clueless to what to do with Vaporeon aside from Max HP.