• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Good-night, Sweet Prince

If you all hadn't heard the news, Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple, passed away. He was 56. It was pancreatic cancer that killed him, though he lived five years longer than most people diagnosed with that kind of cancer do.

Whether or not you're a fan of Apple products, you can't deny he was a great innovator, if not a bit anal. I myself use Apple products, (iPod and iPad 2)so perhaps I see this as a bit more of a loss than those who don't.

If nothing else, maybe this could be a place to discuss mortality, though that seems a bit grim.

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
-- Steve Jobs

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
While I'm not a fan of Apple, it's Pixar and its achievements that I'll remember him for. He helped them expand, guided them, invested in them, helped them become what they are today, and that's something worth celebrating if nothing else.

An old speech he made at Stanford made me cry a bit too, so I think it's worth posting.
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june ... 61505.html

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
All I really have to say on the matter is this:

http://www.apple.com/uk/

This speaks more for the impression Steve Jobs had on Apple than any obituary. They've cleared all the advertising from the page, something completely unheard of for Apple. It's an incredible show of respect for a company like that.

Edit: Okay, look at Amazon's right-hand sidebar. too. Wow.

While I knew he was sufferindg from pancreatic cancer (which has a low rate of survival and he had a rare form at that), this still came as a shock. Steve Jobs was definitely a huge visionary. I may not have been the iPhone person, but I'll likely always be an ipod Nano person ever since I saw Steve Jobs pull the first generation nano out of his little pocket. Since Cody has pretty much summed it up with those two quotes, I don't really need to repeat it. He had an amazing outlook on life.

I'll definitely be thinking of him when I eventually get my Macbook.

Rest in Peace indeed, Steve Jobs

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
It really is a shame for someone with so much sorta talent to die so young, he's only a few years older then my dad. =/

Saying that, he will always be remembered, he brought great things to us thanks to Apple, such as the iPod, a thing I'm rarely seen without. xD

So yeah. R.I.P Steve Jobs.