• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Katy Perry's Pokémon25 song, Electric, is available now

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The first original track from the upcoming Pokémon25 album has finally been released. The song, Electric, stars Katy Perry and her own companion Pokémon, Pikachu, "falling into reverie" (that's magically going back in time to you and me) and encountering a pivotal point in Katy's career where she and her then-Pichu are inspired into performing at one of her earliest gigs.

Like Post Malone, who held a 'digital concert' on Pokémon Day itself and will also be contributing to the Pokémon25 Album, Katy Perry was a young Pokémon fan herself when the original Gameboy games launched here in the West over 20 years ago.

“When I visited the Pokémon Café while touring Japan, I got so nostalgic. It took me back to my junior high years. So when I got the call to be a part of the 25th anniversary celebration alongside Post Malone and J Balvin, I was elated,” says Katy Perry. “The song’s themes – resilience, igniting your inner light – have guided my life and also parallel Pokémon’s story and characters. Pikachu is the evolved form of Pichu, so in the video, you see the younger version of me with Pichu and myself in the present day with Pikachu. We both evolve, yet retain a sense of playfulness.”

The music video was directed by Carlos Lopez Estrada, the director of Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon, and the single itself is available now on Spotify and other streaming services.

The full Pokémon25 collaboration album will be released later this year and can be pre-saved on Spotify now.

Some Electric merchandise is also available on the new Pokémon25 online store, including the CD single if you'd rather have a physical copy.