• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Let's promote Pokécharms writing!

Is this a good idea

• It'll be hard to do, even tho it's for a good cause

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Yee

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • As a writer, I just wanted to say thanks.

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters
We promote Pokécharms writing by not posting art from June 4 to june 10! Only writing!

If you join, write #writeforaweek on your profile! Maybe even on your profile picture!
Anyway, this is so Pokécharms writers can get more likes. I mean, it's just unreal comparing likes writers get to likes artists get.

Members:
@Peridot!!!
@DiamondPikachu
@Mr Fishykarp
@TheKnightofMortem
@Ry_Burst
@Mockingchu
@Aura
@Psycho Monkey
@Mewtwofan259
@messenger
@StarBlitz
@Keleri
@SummerShaymin

Best wishes and good luck
-Peridot

EDIT: try to use the Creative Corner "Sort and Filter" buttons to only show writing when viewing works.

EDIT2: if you aren't a good writer or dislike writing, you can make a "suggested reading list" for people to read! (Idea by @Aura )

EDIT3: when suggesting a piece of writing, put a link to the first in the seiries.(or the one peice of writing.) If you're suggesting all of their writing, just put a link to their profile.

Last edited:
Yes
I shall join this
Edit: just to clarify, do we need to post a written work every day/most days during the week?

Last edited:
Count me in. This is a great thing, because there is a lot of writers on Charms that people don't even know exist becuase of the mass amounts of artwork.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
You will be unjoined from the cause if you post an art during the week.
Quick one, guys: I'd really rather you removed this part. Pokécharms is a community for all creative people – many of our creators are talented enough to be skilled at both writing and art. You shouldn't punish them for being creative, and you'll not attract support for written works by punishing visual artists.

Remember: lift each other up, don't grind each other down. Share good written works with each other, remind people how to get to the written works in the Corner (there's a "Sort and Filter" tab you can use to only show writing), encourage each other create and write and improve. But if you try to do that by tearing other people down, that's a problem – there's no need to do it, and it merely hurts your cause. (I wouldn't join this cause as is – after all, I don't want to be effectively banned from posting artwork.)

Obviously this is your group, so I'm not forcing you to do anything. But please remember the spirit of Pokécharms – we try to be an inclusive, supportive community, and I think specifically telling people to not post artwork goes well against that.

Last edited:
@Peridot!!! I totally agree that writers don't get nearly as much attention as artists on this site. However, I don't think that means we should try to stop the wonderful artists on this site. Personally, I write much more frequently than I post art, and I would love to promote it, but I also don't believe that we should try to stop people from posting art. Maybe instead of telling people to stop posting art, we could tell them to instead, as Teapot recommended, encourage people to use the "Sort and Filter" button throughout this "Writing Week". Either way, thank you for showing your support for writers!

Yes
I shall join this
Edit: just to clarify, do we need to post a written work every day/most days during the week?
Nope! just no art
Count me in. This is a great thing, because there is a lot of writers on Charms that people don't even know exist becuase of the mass amounts of artwork.
Count me in. Bio has been edited and I might just put it in my signature.
Yee thanks
Quick one, guys: I'd really rather you removed this part. Pokécharms is a community for all creative people – many of our creators are talented enough to be skilled at both writing and art. You shouldn't punish them for being creative, and you'll not attract support for written works by punishing visual artists.

Remember: lift each other up, don't grind each other down. Share good written works with each other, remind people how to get to the written works in the Corner (there's a "Sort and Filter" tab you can use to only show writing), encourage each other create and write and improve. But if you try to do that by tearing other people down, that's a problem – there's no need to do it, and it merely hurts your cause. (I wouldn't join this cause as is – after all, I don't want to be effectively banned from posting artwork.)

Obviously this is your group, so I'm not forcing you to do anything. But please remember the spirit of Pokécharms – we try to be an inclusive, supportive community, and I think specifically telling people to not post artwork goes well against that.
@Peridot!!! I totally agree that writers don't get nearly as much attention as artists on this site. However, I don't think that means we should try to stop the wonderful artists on this site. Personally, I write much more frequently than I post art, and I would love to promote it, but I also don't believe that we should try to stop people from posting art. Maybe instead of telling people to stop posting art, we could tell them to instead, as Teapot recommended, encourage people to use the "Sort and Filter" button throughout this "Writing Week". Either way, thank you for showing your support for writers!
Good point! I understand.

I can appreciate the idea to not post visual artworks for a week, and while it personally wouldn't bother me to hold off posting any art I might make, it could still bother people so I'm not sure its a great idea. Additionally, I don't think just focusing on producing more written works is going to be the most effective use of our time. Not to say don't write, but not everyone who might want to help out will be capable of producing written works (such as myself). It would be better to have other ways to help out, so its more inclusive.

I think focusing on encouraging and sharing written works would be great for those of us with less time/aren't writers/have writers block/whatever. Perhaps we could try and compile a recommended reading list. This would mean participants would have to go and consume written works and share them back to this thread, which would hopefully direct other people towards those works. Of course, additionally, encouraging people to comment and like those works which they feel are deserving would also help a lot with recognition.

I can appreciate the idea to not post visual artworks for a week, and while it personally wouldn't bother me to hold off posting any art I might make, it could still bother people so I'm not sure its a great idea. Additionally, I don't think just focusing on producing more written works is going to be the most effective use of our time. Not to say don't write, but not everyone who might want to help out will be capable of producing written works (such as myself). It would be better to have other ways to help out, so its more inclusive.

I think focusing on encouraging and sharing written works would be great for those of us with less time/aren't writers/have writers block/whatever. Perhaps we could try and compile a recommended reading list. This would mean participants would have to go and consume written works and share them back to this thread, which would hopefully direct other people towards those works. Of course, additionally, encouraging people to comment and like those works which they feel are deserving would also help a lot with recognition.
GOOD IDEA!!!!:halo::halo::halo:

If we're looking for recommendations, I'd recommend checking out Kragn's writing, and (this may sound selfish and conceited, but I've always thought of myself as a fairly good writer) my writings. Kragn is a pretty good writer I think, and I'd love if you could check out my stories as well.
Also- I'd love to join this cause, even if my previous post almost sounded anti-thiscause. I'll put the #writeforaweek on my profile!

Well, I'm honestly going to give a bit of self promotion, while I'm here. Mainly becuase I love the idea of others going strict to my series and readingbit, instead of not knowing of its existent. Its called the Ry Burst Chronicles. Also, I'll look at your recommendations too. @Mockingchu

Guys, might I suggest that you provide a link to say the first in the series of anyone you recommend? Just to make it easier for people to jump straight in ^^

We could all try to write a set of stories together existing in the same universe?
It would be like, impossible to do but still. Lots of writers collaborating for one large project

OR perhaps we could come up with one with one short story idea and all of us write it
Just to show how diverse our writers and ideas are and how different we can all make a single idea

Alright, recommendation time! I just finished reading through @Keleri 's story Gaiien Region: Gods and Demons, and I had a pretty fun time. It can be a little tricky to get into, given its set in a Fakemon region and some concepts aren't fully explained at the start, but the accompanying artwork Keleri has made of the Fakemon makes it easier to picture, and some of the mysteries to the region start getting explained in more depth as it goes long. Definitely worth a read, covers some really interesting concepts.

We could all try to write a set of stories together existing in the same universe?
It would be like, impossible to do but still. Lots of writers collaborating for one large project

That would be tricky to pull off, especially in a week, but if you did want to go through with it... Perhaps one person could go into detail about a significant event occurring from a neutral perspective. Then everyone else could write a short story from a perspective reacting to that event. So for example, say one person goes into detail about the events of Team Rocket taking over Saffron City, from the initial take over, all the way through to Red kicking them out. Everyone else would write what a trainer was doing during that time - maybe they were trying to sneak out and free the civilians, maybe they see the news on tv and try and get into contact with a loved one in the city, or maybe they take advantage of the chaos and try and loot the place. Anyway just an idea.

I stumbled across this and I agree. Loads of people just skip written works when going through the 'Browse All' tab. My WIP story (link if anyone's actually interested : https://pokecharms.com/works/prologue.35096/) has 1 - 2 likes, while an artwork that I rushed and wasted no time on has 6. I'm in.
That would be tricky to pull off, especially in a week, but if you did want to go through with it... Perhaps one person could go into detail about a significant event occurring from a neutral perspective. Then everyone else could write a short story from a perspective reacting to that event. So for example, say one person goes into detail about the events of Team Rocket taking over Saffron City, from the initial take over, all the way through to Red kicking them out. Everyone else would write what a trainer was doing during that time - maybe they were trying to sneak out and free the civilians, maybe they see the news on tv and try and get into contact with a loved one in the city, or maybe they take advantage of the chaos and try and loot the place. Anyway just an idea.
I agree with Aura. We could also have one person describe somebody or something and the others write about their perspective of meeting.

Also, I kinda wanna support the non - Pokemon based stories (like my own). They're rarely seen, and have the least amount of likes. Maybe we could do something that not based in Pokemon?

Oh, a recommendation. @Ry_Burst ''s story ( The Ry Burst Chronicles ) is one of my personal favourite stories. The link : https://pokecharms.com/works/chapter-1-the-training-ends-but-the-journey-begins.29903/. I'm going to add the hashtag into my signature.

I'd suggest perhaps doing one short story a day so we can cover a range of topics, but a thing written in a single day probably won't be as good as something you spend a week on

I'd suggest perhaps doing one short story a day so we can cover a range of topics, but a thing written in a single day probably won't be as good as something you spend a week on
However, I disagree. Most people haven't got a lot of time and thus rush their stories. I spend an hour or two on my stories (notice how I spend less time on my artwork than I do when I'm writing) and they end up decent. If it's rushed, it won't be that good as one that isn't.

If all of us wrote the best story we could with the intention of growing our part of the community we could show what we can do and the passion we have for our craft of art, show them that words can create a world just as beautiful as the actual visual art. This is something I am glad to see here on Charms and something I am proud to be apart of.

For this, I'm probably b going to work independently. I've been stuck in writers block for quite a good chunk of time, and only recently found a few ideas to get the ball rolling if you will. I'm actually been working on these for about a week, so I'm planning to hold off on posting them, until the week rolls around.

Still I think the entire idea, of working together on a series, in a sense defeats to passion that this week will kind of represent. It would be a time to "flaunt" our writing skills, and we can save the series for another time. I'm saying that it's a bad idea, but just that I probably am not going to take part in that idea, if it gets going.

Sorry if I seem like I'm rambling.

I was talking about how we could show n of our own skills with what we are good at, when we do some solo stories. Flaunt is more just showing my weird vocabulary choice at times.

Thanks so much for promoting my story, @Aura !

I was poking through the archives and I noticed @Roi De La Nuit Sans Fin~ 's writing. He has a number of one-shots and essays on writing that might be useful to new writers. His one-shots are great, conveying the essential parts of the story without getting bogged down in extraneous detail or circular introspection, and they're quite affecting, with satisfying endings for the characters. He's also developing his own region and gym leaders that you see peeks of in the one-shots. Check them out!

Chasing an Impossible Dream
New Hope, New Home

OR perhaps we could come up with one with one short story idea and all of us write it
Just to show how diverse our writers and ideas are and how different we can all make a single idea
That sounds cool! I think it would be fun to do!

EDIT:
Alright, recommendation time! I just finished reading through @Keleri 's story Gaiien Region: Gods and Demons, and I had a pretty fun time. It can be a little tricky to get into, given its set in a Fakemon region and some concepts aren't fully explained at the start, but the accompanying artwork Keleri has made of the Fakemon makes it easier to picture, and some of the mysteries to the region start getting explained in more depth as it goes long. Definitely worth a read, covers some really interesting concepts.

I think your idea is a good one too! And I'll be sure to read the story you recommended.
On another note, June 4 is today in my time zone!

Last edited: