• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mafia VII - Day One (16th-18th Dec): Welcome to the Jungle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to Mafia 7! They're baaaaack...

As always: Determine who, if anyone, should be lynched today. Remember that Night Zero has happened, so night-based roles have had the chance to activate.

Have fun. Root the Mafia out. Leave no stone unturned.

Re: Mafia VII - Day One (16th-18th Dec): Welcome to the Jung

Well the sun rises on a new Mafia game, looking forward to this game.

Hopefully I don't act like a complete idiot this game.

And I suppose I'll ask this as it will probably come up but are we lynching or abstaining today? (I know it is a bit early)

I would like to take a shot at the Mafia but I think townie safety is more important early on.

So what are you guys thinking. And I wish you the rest of you guys good luck, whatever your alignment is.

A bit eager aren't we

I'm borderline at the moment I want to see posts before I start lynching.

And like Riley said good luck

I expect another debacle on whether or not we should take a random jab at finding a Mafia, seeing as that's usually standard deal on the first day- Unless more people are willing to vote for a random person than there are willing to abstain.

I'm personally in for the latter, as always, because I don't feel it's a risk worth taking, but I'm not abstaining just yet. Leads can sprout even on the first day, and it would be a shame to waste my vote if an occasion arises where we would feel justified to condemn someone.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member

I guess it really comes down to if we think it's worth taking a shot in the dark considering we have nothing to go on first day, as ever.

I lean towards abstaining more than running the risk of killing off a townie.

Atma

Formerly Karu

I have no intentions of being silly and throwing myself head first into accusations and being lynched this time. Though, I'm not so foolish as to abstain so early on. Gonna be watchin' you all closely!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: abstaining gets us nowhere. I'd rather be down two people WITH leads than down one with none. Despite what you might say, lynching someone on Day One is beneficial - should the lynched be Mafia, we're doing good; should they be Townsfolk, then those responsible must have a hidden secret.

Let us not forget Game 2, when a Day 1 lynching led to the consecutive deaths of THREE. MAFIA. Something like that doesn't come easily: we NEEDED that Day 1 lynching because it made the Mafia slip up, something they are not wont to do with us abstaining.

Now, I'm not sure who is and is not Mafia, so I cannot be sure as to who we should off by day's end. But I assure you, I will find out.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Whoo. Let the games begin! (For pizza!)

Shocari said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: abstaining gets us nowhere.

And I still say the opposite because never once has it actually helped give us leads. It's usually not until day 3, when people start messing up, that the real trails begin to appear, so throwing someone to the lions just never seems like a good idea to me.

I'm willing to change my stance on that this time however if someone has a convincing reason for doing so. Just saying that it's a "good idea" isn't convincing enough tho.

I am fairly sure my reasoning about it working and giving immediate rwsulta on Game 2 speaks for itself.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Shocari said:
I am fairly sure my reasoning about it working and giving immediate rwsulta on Game 2 speaks for itself.

I do agree there, but that's one game out of many. Has it truly worked during the other games?

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

Sho, we killed Savinchez in Game 2. Savinchez had nothing to do with the Mafia or finding them. The reason we found them was that one of the families made the same mistake in did in Game 1. One of them was accused and then they started defending them. We jumped on that, and when one of them turned out to be Mafia it was easy pickings for the others.

I'm going to withhold having an opinion on abstaining or lynching for right now. But if we do choose to abstain, we should not simply give up on discussing things and trying to find out Mafia. We need to take advantage of each day we have.

But for realz, I don't know who to kill because my usual target isn't playing. :|

Well we got Belle out last game but that was due to help from the detective. Maybe something similar could happen this time.

I am wanting to take a shot but no idea where to start shooting plus I we haven't seen everyone yet.

However Game 5 was a disaster we had 3 townies down and one was our Doctor, we still don't know whether there is 1 or 2 mafias as it was never stated.

We could either end up with a glorious take down or a detrimental tragedy if there does end up being 2 mobs.

The arguments for lynching do have enough validity to almost convince me however like everyone has said there are no leads.

Riley's possibilty of 3 dead townies would horrifically put Mafia at a advantage as a fifth of players would be gone

The combination doesn't seem like a risk we should take.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Sir Red said:
But for realz, I don't know who to kill because my usual target isn't playing. :|

Yeah. No Sem. :'(

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

I don't think there are two families this time, based on the size of the game and using past games as an indicator. And we can't hinge our finding Mafia on having a detective as good as Tan was last game, so we need to make some head-way ourselves on the Days.

Also, dafuq Blazi? That's your official vote, you know. You can't change that. So nice one. *shakes head*

By the way, I was talking about Carmen. :x

You maybe right there, Red.

I'm thinking 1 is more likely but I'm not fully sure.

Can we lynch Blazi for foolishly wasting his official vote ;D (I'm joking of course)

Linkachu said:
Shocari said:

I do agree there, but that's one game out of many. Has it truly worked during the other games?

It hasn't, because we haven't done it since

Sir Red said:
Sho, we killed Savinchez in Game 2. Savinchez had nothing to do with the Mafia or finding them. The reason we found them was that one of the families made the same mistake in did in Game 1. One of them was accused and then they started defending them. We jumped on that, and when one of them turned out to be Mafia it was easy pickings for the others.

But why were they defensive in the first place? After Savichez died, Shiny(and then me) placed blame on Dark Soul(or was it Blazi?) because of how they were acting on Day 1 in regards to us voting for Savichez and later when they reacted to Savichez's death. Then Blazi(or Dark Soul?) defended the other, so we got one of them on Day 2, the next one on Day 3, and on Day 4 we took down Dia.

But that was only possible because of the death of Savichez. After Game 2, people decided that lynching on Day 1 was a no-go. So from what we know, the one time that we actually have lynched on Day 1, it worked. And it worked well beyond what we had hoped for.

Sir Red said:
I don't think there are two families this time, based on the size of the game and using past games as an indicator.

I quite agree. Petey would have told us if there was more than one family.

But back to the determining of who to lynch, if at all. I'm for it, as I always have been. Good thing we have two-three irl days to determine if anyone is guilty of consorting with Mafia. With the exception of last game, someone always slips up, even if it's of the smallest magnitude.

But maybe I'm too wrapped up in the past and enjoy living in the glory days~

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Shocari said:
But that was only possible because of the death of Savichez. After Game 2, people decided that lynching on Day 1 was a no-go. So from what we know, the one time that we actually have lynched on Day 1, it worked. And it worked well beyond what we had hoped for.

Funny you mention that: http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3337&start=100

But otherwise, you're right. Looks like we haven't voted to lynch anyone since then (excluding the linked game) which I didn't realize because I wasn't in every game between now and game 2.

Either way, it's too early for me to decide anything (although I do wonder why Blazi did that x.x). We have two days left and I agree with Red that the more discussion we can generate, the better.

I'm leaning in Sho's favour now because I'm convinced there is only 1 mafia.

I don't wanna lynch Sho because I'm 99% certain we will be lynching a townie.

But everyone is playing good so I don't know who to go for, so far it is either lynch Sho because he is up for it, lynch Blazi for being silly or lynch anyone else for no reason.

Whoa there. I wasn't offering myself. I'm not /that/ crazy >>

Blazi being silly isn't a decent reason for a lynch, either. I mean, we have lynched people for that reason before, and while it has yielded both good and bad results, it's still too early do actually vote for anyone yet. We still have two irl days left before we cross that bridge.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool

So, new round, same topic of argument. Seems like people are bringing up past games a little more quickly this time around though, and that's definitely leaving something to think about. Now that I've pointed out the obvious... I for one am on the side of waiting for someone to slip up before taking action, and otherwise abstaining. As others have been saying, we still have a good deal of time before we need to come to a decision.

Well it certainly sounded like you were offering yourself. D:<

And being silly is literally the best reason to lynch, which is why I'm waiting for incriminating posts

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

Hmm, now that I think about it I don't believe Sho has ever been Mafia. Odds wise you'd have to think he'd be Mafia at least once in one of these games. ;D

I'm not accusing Sho, because luckily for him he always wants to kill as many people as he can very quickly. Still, I'm keeping my eye on him.

I do have to comment on Riley's recent post. You very quickly drew out a few conclusions that had not really been talked about previously. Before your post nobody's name was thrown out there as a possibility. We were just discussing whether abstaining was wise. I'm now forced to wonder why you steered the conversation towards specific names.

Edit: I agree with Riley, being silly just gets in our way. Could Blazi be the Jester? Sure, but I'd rather the Jester be dead and not making it harder to find the Mafia than alive and trying to get killed. I've never understood why everyone is so afraid of killing the Jester. Big whoop if they are a winner, doesn't mean you can't still win too.

Also, lolz at Katie's link. Though the only reason Sho died that day was because I needed to kill him in order to not die that night. :V

Red, I'm pretty sure RMA hasn't been Mafia either ;D

Then again Blazi was silly that other time when he said "I'm Mafia" and he was a townie. I think he is being silly on purpose. It doesn't help us at all, plus it'll just avert our attention away from Mafia members later on when we need to focus. I know its petty but Mafia isn't the place for constant silliness so I may lynch Blazi unless he stops messing around or someone slips up. I'll wait til this time tomorrow before voting as I'm busy Tuesday.

Okay, a little late to the party, but I'm here now. Nobody panic.

Anyway, I'm going to go off on a limb here and say that we shouldn't sit back today. But I disagree with the whole "knife in the dark" idea, because we've played this game enough, and I think we can drive this home on day 1. Though many people are right, it's hard to take a stab at someone who could be an innocent on the pretence that they may be mafia. To make that easier though, we should try looking at who we're certain is innocent.

To start off, I'll return to how I said we shouldn't sit back today. Surprising, given how I usually prefer to go with the abstain option for day 1. But then again, for the majority of those days, I myself was Mafia. It's an interesting pattern that, although has exceptions, has been pretty linear. The people that try to get the blood boiling on day 1, in most cases, are innocent. The mafia themselves would never be the first to say 'we should kill this guy'; they're afraid to do so, because it draws too much attention to themselves. That's the main reason why I doubt that Riley and Shocari are mafia.

I beseech you to refrain from voting for Sho today though. Because we all know his average life expectancy in this game, and only a guilty Shocari is going to live to Day 4. It will be a waste of time to try and lynch him early on. Round 5 was a perfect example of that.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

Brendan Savem said:
To start off, I'll return to how I said we shouldn't sit back today. Surprising, given how I usually prefer to go with the abstain option for day 1. But then again, for the majority of those days, I myself was Mafia. It's an interesting pattern that, although has exceptions, has been pretty linear. The people that try to get the blood boiling on day 1, in most cases, are innocent. The mafia themselves would never be the first to say 'we should kill this guy'; they're afraid to do so, because it draws too much attention to themselves. That's the main reason why I doubt that Riley and Shocari are mafia.

I beseech you to refrain from voting for Sho today though. Because we all know his average life expectancy in this game, and only a guilty Shocari is going to live to Day 4. It will be a waste of time to try and lynch him early on. Round 5 was a perfect example of that.

Did you not read the link Katie posted? Day One and I drove hard for Sho to be lynched despite being a Mafia member. :p Being Mafia you simply don't want to be the one that starts a bad bandwagon as you will be blamed for it, but you can certainly stir up talk to go for lynching or jump on a bandwagon early on if it's good for you. So sorry, but I don't buy your argument there, Brendan.

If you're a good enough liar you can get away with the death of one innocent and push attention elsewhere for a bit.

Also, Sho is simply being Sho. We cannot judge his behavior on Day 1, because he always wants to kill people. Riley has often been just the same. The fact is, I'm always going to be suspicious of Sho. The same with Katie and yourself, Brendan.

So are we actually considering lynching Blazi?

And are we crossing Sho and Riley off the hit list for now?

I understand the reasoning behind both

I'm all for this Blazi bandwagon because unless he has an important role he isn't really helping

I'm for lynching Blazi IF no leads are found, as it would be better than just blindly killing somebody in the hopes that they're Mafia. If there is no one suspicious enough, Blazi will be my default.

I'm noting voting yet, however. There's still time before night, and I'm not voting until

A) There's some hard evidence about someone being Mafia, or

B) It's at the last minute, and I need to vote or it will be too late.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

Bitches I will cut you all for posting so much while I was in an alcohol-induced sleep >=o

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Yoshimitsu said:
Bitches I will cut you all for posting so much while I was in an alcohol-induced sleep >=o

Aka. El's Mafia, lynch him before he gets you. ~;)~

But on a more thoughtful note~

Sir Red said:
Brendan Savem said:

Did you not read the link Katie posted? Day One and I drove hard for Sho to be lynched despite being a Mafia member. :p Being Mafia you simply don't want to be the one that starts a bad bandwagon as you will be blamed for it, but you can certainly stir up talk to go for lynching or jump on a bandwagon early on if it's good for you. So sorry, but I don't buy your argument there, Brendan.

If you're a good enough liar you can get away with the death of one innocent and push attention elsewhere for a bit.

Also, Sho is simply being Sho. We cannot judge his behavior on Day 1, because he always wants to kill people. Riley has often been just the same. The fact is, I'm always going to be suspicious of Sho. The same with Katie and yourself, Brendan.

Adding to this discussion... If there's one thing this game has taught me it's that certain players tend to play the same way each time regardless of which alignment they are. That's what makes them so damn good at Mafia. If anything, I'd say one of the greatest tip-offs that someone may actually be Mafia, glaring mistakes aside, is that they've survived in the game too long. As Red pointed out, Riley and Sho are playing the same way they usually do, as is Blazi to be fair. Maybe they're innocent, and maybe they're not. It's far too early to jump to conclusions either way.

Well Josh, Blazi seems like a popular choice so far, I would leave it another 12 hours before lynching.

Also I knew it D<

It was me who defended Blazi rather idiotically in that second game, not the other way around.

Although some of the points Sho makes are viable- Lynching on the first day can prove to be very beneficial- For me, it's more about the risk. If we lynch a Townie, the mob will have gotten two night's work done in one. Abstaining can, at least, limit the damage to one, which is the more preferable option to me.

As for Blazi being silly, he could be the Joker, or he could really just be silly. I'll wait to see if he has anything else to say for himself.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

I mean it you guys, I will cut you for giving me MORE stuff to have to catch up on >=o

Huh? I'm playing the same way as I usually do? I thought I was playing differently because my posts actually make sense, I'm not going against the majority and I'm not the jester and nor is it my first game anymore. So I'm confused at how I'm playing the same.

Riley, you are kinda contradicting yourself by going against peoples opinion.

Also surviving too longer than usual all comes down to luck, previous roles and experience. I doubt it is one of the greatest tip offs. You can't decide when screw-ups happen or how people vote.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Joshawott said:
Also surviving too longer than usual all comes down to luck, previous roles and experience. I doubt it is one of the greatest tip offs. You can't decide when screw-ups happen or how people vote.

Consider this then. Certain posters are always targets each game - Sho, Red, Brendan, and myself to name a few - and when any of us survive too long it starts making people question why. No, it's not solid evidence of anything, but it's like Red said a few games back: it was a wonder that nobody suspected him whatsoever as being Mafia considering how long he'd survived in the game.

Either way, what I was trying to get at is that over-analyzing everyone's actions on the first day isn't the smartest thing to do. I can't say whether Riley or Sho are or aren't mafia, so I'm curious why others can. I also honestly doubt Blazi is Mafia after what he did, so it makes me wonder why certain people seem ready to start a lynch bandwagon against him.

I think the main reason I would target any of you 4 in particular is because you are the 4 who are expected to get roles and when Mafia aren't being hit we expect one of you will probably be Mafia. Plus there is an element of fear that you could be Mafia because you are great posters.

EDIT: So I think Katie's point is true to an extent and can only be applied to certain players

Status
Not open for further replies.