• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mafia VIII - Day One [18th-20th June]: Viva Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Greetings, peasants. Welcome to the official start of Mafia 8. Nothing exciting happened in Night Zero, so it's time for the... uh... festivities.

I'm reasonable sure most of you have played before, so I'll keep it brief: You should use this topic to organise who you wish to lynch today. As always, it is possible to abstain, which is to vote not to kill anybody. At close of play, which is 8PM GMT on the 20th, I'll tally up the votes and kill whoever has the most votes.

P.S. 8PM GMT is actually 9PM for the British (i.e. me) right now due to British Summer Time and us being in GMT+1. Adjust accordingly.

glhf all

I don't have much to say but finally another Mafia been waiting for this for a while :D Like Petey said good luck and have fun :) I'll probably say more once conversation starts flowing because I'm not starting this time because I always end up going after the wrong people/getting myself killed early on, which as people will know by my eagerness I wouldn't wanna happen

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
So we all learned from our mistake last game and are going to kill Sho right off the bat? Sounds like a plan. :)

I don't know, you're pretty up there too Red, you might be trying to quickly eliminate all who would suspect you. Or you and Sho are in cahoots with each other and playing mind games on us.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Brendan Savem said:
I don't know, you're pretty up there too Red, you might be trying to quickly eliminate all who would suspect you. Or you and Sho are in cahoots with each other and playing mind games on us.
Well of course I could, and of course we are. I thought those were givens by this point. >>

However, my comment stems from the fact that Sho never survives past Day 2 or so and is never Mafia. He survives in one game, is Mafia and wins. Thus we must kill Sho. For the greater good, because I am still angry he won a game and I (in my eyes) have not. :T

Hahaha
Ahhh how I have missed this game.
And to be honest I don't think I've even come close to winning mafia here, I think that's mostly because I'm to hyper active, and draw attention to myself, thus winding up dead. doesn't help that I tend to forget about things, and miss my votes...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sir Red said:
Brendan Savem said:
Well of course I could, and of course we are. I thought those were givens by this point. >>

However, my comment stems from the fact that Sho never survives past Day 2 or so and is never Mafia. He survives in one game, is Mafia and wins. Thus we must kill Sho. For the greater good, because I am still angry he won a game and I (in my eyes) have not. :T

This. All of this. </3

Beyond that... I have nothing sensible to add yet. XD Will sit back and wait for others to reply first. :)

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
*give Petey all of his hate* ♥

Anyways, I suppose we should get a proper dialogue going here instead of discussing our regrets over not killing Sho more. The only way to gather any leads or for anyone to slip up is to actually discuss things. If I counted right, we have 14 people playing in this game. Easily could be two smaller families, as that seems to have been the trend as of late. Though after last game, I feel it is best to not try and get into the mind of Petey on this issue.

Somebody that I'm genuinely curious about this game is Brendan. I cannot remember when was the last time he was Mafia. This is not really an accusation, but simply looking at percentages. We know he can be Mafia well, as he won Game 1 and was able to avoid the mayhem that got Dway and I killed. A smart Mafia player, for sure. Just weary of Brendan (and totally not petty because Brendan questioned my first post :x).

I'm not sure how accurate looking at percentages would be as RMA who has far as I know played every game or nearly every game has yet to be Mafia and then there has been the likes of Rich and Jada who have been Mafia nearly everytime. This is by no means an attack or accusation on anyone just an observation.

Although being weary of Brendan given his skill and experience is probably advisable although that could apply to a few others like Katie for example.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Coreysawrus said:
I'm not sure how accurate looking at percentages would be as RMA who has far as I know played every game or nearly every game has yet to be Mafia and then there has been the likes of Rich and Jada who have been Mafia nearly everytime. This is by no means an attack or accusation on anyone just an observation.

Although being weary of Brendan given his skill and experience is probably advisable although that could apply to a few others like Katie for example.

All this name dropping makes me feel special. :'D

I think at this point we'd be doing ourselves a disfavor to focus too much on the so-called "good" players. Any of us who've played for multiple games now and done well could fall under that label (aka. I don't trust a single one of ye D:<). It's also very true that the role percentages don't really apply in this game because of how Petey picks 'em. Any of us could be townies just as any of us could be mafia. But I feel like I say that every game...

We've still only heard from a small percentage of players thus far, the typical 'talkative players' at that, so as much as I want to suspect Red because he's Red, Sho out of revengeful spite, and Corey because he seems to have it in for me (D:<), still need moar.

I have it in for everyone just because you can't trust anyone ;D Plus I did all that name dropping was because I loves chu ♥

(Whoops, late!)

Aren't roles assigned randomly? I might be wrong, but I thought they were. The fact Sho has not been Mafia yet doesn't mean anything if this is the case, although the same goes for anyone else, so it doesn't get us anywhere either.

Come to think of it Red, you're right about my trend, I haven't been a mafioso since Round 4. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm any more likely to be one this round. If that were true, then Sho is less likely to be mafia than others, since he was Mafia last time. Of course, that won't dissuade you from trying to knock him out.

Katie, although she is a sly one who will easily twist us around her finger, she's often unfortunate enough to have unfortunate circumstances remove her from the game whenever she's out for blood, such as the previous game's robot politician and Game 2's death by tragic relationship. This time however, there aren't many options for that, except from the couple of course.

Dark, Sho has been Mafia before, just last game in fact. And he killed everybody, there were no survivors in that bloodbath. That's why Red's out for him. Did you forget how he cut you open and made you bleed all over the parking lot?

And El, I have some scales handy, do you have a duck?

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I didn't get the chance to post in this thread yesterday (hectic days are joy :'D), but then we don't really have much to go off so I don't really have much to say either.

All we can really do is throw a few comments around and watch peoples reactions really~

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Normally I would agree about the percentage aspect, but numerous people have previously been able to predict other people's roles based on who has been given a role and who has not. Yes it is random, but I'm fairly certain various Game Masters have stated that they DO adjust things a bit so that people do not always get the same roles and so that people get to try out new things. That being said, I agree that percentages hold little value (which is why I have never used them before, but I'm trying to evolve my Meta D:).

Now on to other things. Look at Katie's post. If that's not a cry for lynching, I don't know what it is. She uses words, punctuation, it's Katie. What more do we need? :T SHE EVEN SAYS "MAFIA"!

Side note: Can we get something real to go off of, I can only do these joke posts for so long. ;_;

Brendan, Sho now Katie, I know it's only jokingly but is there a specific reason you want to off the players who have the best chance of successfully opposing you? If it is a dominance or a control the game sort of thing, well that honestly makes me rather nervous as last time that happened you were Mafia. Normally I'd give benefit of the doubt but you're probably one of the craftiest players and with not much known about this game I can't afford to give you (or anyone else really) that benefit. So far this observation is just making me a little more weary of you but it not enough to dissuade me from abstaining as we very rarely get lucky and quite a few of the leads don't tend to be fruitful. All in all just my first case of alarm bells ringing

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Corey: Yes. I want complete control of this game for my own selfish reasons. However, that is not necessarily a bad thing for the town.

Also, my wanting dead of Katie has been long documented. As has my recent joking of lynching Sho Day 1. The only person that I suppose was legitimate discussion was Brendan, and even that was more discussing things because he was one of the few people posting something to talk about at the time.

I want to hear more from Sho, though. He's been very quiet this game, and not around much lately in general. (I think he had a job interview recently, so that might be eating up his time.)

Yeah I'd like to hear more from Sho as well, it'd be nice to see some of the less active people like RMA and Chad say something as well, I'm also intrigued to see how Toastie will play his game and as Zekrom showed we can't let our guard down to new players they can be just as good as existing players

Red, regardless of your role, having someone puppeteer the game is a recipe for disaster. In fact, the first game was won because a certain power-hungry paramedic otter took dictatorship of the town and started offing everyone who looked at him funnily. I just had to sit back and let him do half of the chores. Having dominance of the game is a sure-fire way to cause mayhem for townsfolk. Excluding that, there's also the running risk of the underboss going into play and turning the self-appointed mayor, who can quickly start feeding his underlings into a mincer if they don't react fast enough. Having a leader-figure may seem like a good idea, but there are countless ways for it to backfire and cause massive damage.

Yo. Yeah, so my stepsister and her kids are living with us now, so not much time for me to post. I'll try to as often as I can. Day One Lynchings: I'm all for them. But who to lynch? SEM. ALWAYS LYNCH SEM.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Public Service Announcement

Toastie has dropped out of Mafia due to time constraints. He was a townsperson.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Brendan Savem said:
Red, regardless of your role, having someone puppeteer the game is a recipe for disaster. In fact, the first game was won because a certain power-hungry paramedic otter took dictatorship of the town and started offing everyone who looked at him funnily. I just had to sit back and let him do half of the chores. Having dominance of the game is a sure-fire way to cause mayhem for townsfolk. Excluding that, there's also the running risk of the underboss going into play and turning the self-appointed mayor, who can quickly start feeding his underlings into a mincer if they don't react fast enough. Having a leader-figure may seem like a good idea, but there are countless ways for it to backfire and cause massive damage.
I promise if you guys give me full power, nothing bad will ever happen. *throws out the history books about Caesar* :|

But I agree, somebody should never be blindly trusted. Question everything, but in the end you have to start making compromises in order to get anywhere. Otherwise we'd simply abstain nearly every day unless the Detective told us a Mafia member or somebody did something painfully stupid.

Also, Corey mentions Toastie and then he turns up dead (or drops out, whatever). Coincidence? Yes. But stupid connection? YES! D:<

I was looking forward to seeing him play and we lost a townie which is even worse, fortunately he wasn't an important role like the Detective or the Priest.

On the trust issue while Red has a point I'd rather abstain on Day 1 instead of running the risk of losing a townie through lynching and another from being murdered during Night 1. If I was forced to lynch at this point I'd probably say Red's the most likely to get my vote, just because I don't trust the control and how nastily it could backfire on the rest of the town so I'd want to avoid Red getting his hands on the control plus I don't want single person control again like Game 5 where sacrifices had to be made. If we're having control we need a group control not single person control

The problem with having a leader figure is that even if they would do something beneficial for the Villagers, they likely won't last very long due to our Mafia opponents. I'm with Corey on this one- I think it might better to come to a conclusion as a group with some good reasoning. Bandwagoning can work, but it can also work adversely as it can be manipulated by a crafty Mafia player!

That said, it's still too early for me to have any suspicions personally. I'll wait on the people who haven't posted yet!

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
So, I forgot to mention that, just for this week, I'm currently in a place where the only internet available is in the form of a single computer that seems to always be occupied by my mother or sister, and my cell phone has a shit connection (Thank you very much, Sprint :@ ), so this may impede my participation for these beginning rounds, provided I survive to see any more of them. However, I feel that, even with a consistent connection, I'd probably only be participating a little more than I am currently, since, well, that's how I play.

With that aside, as it currently stands I'm expecting most people to abstain this round. Red's mostly humorous reasons to go after Sho, Katie and Brendan aren't really enough to render him any more suspicious than those three in my eyes. I still don't like how this is usually the path we take for day 1, but as others have said in the past, when we blindly accuse others, we're barking up the wrong tree more often than not, so, unless someone really slips up, or we come to a more logical solution as a group, abstaining just seems to be our safest bet.

Atma

Formerly Karu
...And this is the part where as an early murdered character of previous Mafia rounds, I'd like to Abstain off the bat but breathing doesn't appear to be an option without rousing something. T~T; Guess this is just me checking in as officially alive after a day of babysitting.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Hmmm...I don't like that breathing, Karu. :T

More and more people seem to be leaning towards Abstaining as the Day progresses and our usual chief opponent against it, Sho, is wrapped up with other things presently. Nobody has actually voted for Abstention yet, though. So we need to decide on something, because presently we're just running in circles of me prodding everyone and people questioning me, followed by me prodding more.

So thoughts, anyone?

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
We may as well just abstain like we mostly always do, because you always run the risk of killing a decent towns person off when you have nothing at all to go off, something none of us want especially when we're now a towns person down.

Unless someone can point something notable out about someone, I suggest we abstain for the day.

Hmm. I think this is my first time playing this game here without people having votes on them already... It's weird, but kinda nice to see people thinking through everything before actually starting a war between townspeople.

Going off of some previous comments... I do seem to end up with the mafia role quite often... Not sure why though, I don't play very well as one, or very good at all for that matter.
But that's beside the point, besides me wanting Red dead for some old grudge, or for him just being him, I really am leaning more towards abstaining today. We've already lost one townie, we really don't need to loose another one on top of what ever the mafia is planning.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
My mind is kinda elsewhere at the moment and not in the game, so I can't really formulate any solid thinking on anything (soz). I'd joke about lynching Red but he's currently no more suspicious to me than Corey, who's really been pushing for Red's death (possibly because Brendan seems to be siding that way too, making Red the most likely bandwagon). I'm assuming Sho was joking but maybe not.

I won't cast my final vote yet, but I'm likely leaning more towards abstaining at this point too.

Atma

Formerly Karu
Really good point! We already lost one townie. So if you think about it, if we abstain today then we've already lost the life for today. The deities would be pleased, so why shouldn't we? As for Red and the others, I personally don't think first day deductions add up to much so yeah.

Abstaining is looking even better :D I may live to day three this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.