• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Monotype Tournament 2017 - Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Greninja_zpszcm0rsno.png

I didn't realize it had been 3 years since the last time we did this.

Just like the Singles Showdown, this tournament will take place on the battle simulator Pokemon Showdown, which can be found here:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/ (Pokémon Showdown! battle simulator)

The procedures will be as follows: You will all have until May 18th 2017 to sign up for this tournament, and just like every other tournament all you need to do to sign up for this is post in this thread saying that you wish to compete. Once the deadline has been hit, I will be using a random number generator to give every competitor a random type out of the 18 that exist. Then, you must create a team containing only Pokemon of that type and you will all battle it out to decide who the champion is. A few things of note:

- Dual-typed Pokemon can be used freely as long as one of their types matches your mono-type. For example, Aegislash would be eligible on a mono-Ghost or a mono-Steel team.

- If a Pokemon's base form doesn't match your mono-type but its Mega Evolution does then it cannot be used, so Mega Charizard X cannot be used on mono-Dragon teams because regular Charizard is not a Dragon-type. This also works in reverse: If you were using a mono-Flying team with Charizard on it, you would not be allowed to use Charizardite X since he would no longer be a Flying-type upon Mega Evolving.

Any moves and abilities that cause a Pokemon's type to change are banned from use. The moves and abilities in question are:

- Protean
- Colour Change
- Forecast
- Impostor

- Transform
- Conversion
- Conversion 2
- Camouflage
- Reflect Type
- Soak
- Relic Song

Unfortunately this has resulted in Kecleon, Ditto and Castform being completely unusable, so if you do get Normal as your assigned type then note that all three of these Pokemon are effectively banned from use.

Just to clarify, Silvally is legal, but it needs to match your team's type, so it will need to have the respective memory for RKS System if it's on any team type that isn't Normal.

Otherwise standard rules apply. The following stuff cannot be used:

Pokemon

Arceus
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys (All formes)
Dialga
Genesect
Giratina (All formes)
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Kyurem-W
Lugia
Lunala
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Solgaleo
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zekrom

Abilities

Moody
Power Construct
Sand Veil
Snow Cloak

Items

Gengarite
Kangaskhanite
Lucarionite
Soul Dew

...and the following clauses apply:

SPECIES CLAUSE: No two Pokemon on a team can have the same National Pokedex Number.
EVASION CLAUSE: The moves Double Team and Minimize are banned from use.
OHKO CLAUSE: The moves Guillotine, Sheer Cold, Fissure and Horn Drill are banned from use.
FAIR PLAY CLAUSE: If a match would end in a 0-0 draw due to the use of Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond or Perish Song, the user of the move in question loses.
SLEEP CLAUSE: No two Pokemon can be put to sleep at once on a team. Self-inflicted sleep from Rest and randomly-inflicted sleep from Effect Spore do not count towards this.

I think that's everything, I'm sure someone will correct me if it isn't.

Two final things of note: This topic is for signups and queries only. Any post in this topic that is neither of the aforementioned will earn you a SPAM warning. Also note that any player who signs up for this and then drops out without a good reason once the tournament properly starts will be banned from future tournaments, as always.

Sign-ups are officially go. You have just over two weeks to sign up, so don't be late.

SIGN-UPS:

- StevenUniverseDiamond
- TeamPlasmaAdminLazuli
- Lord of Pain
- Midnight Princess
- Andrewski2000
- Psycho Monkey
- Mr Fishykarp
- Koopa000
- I Never
- Shocari
- MegaAbsol
- Dwayna Dragonfire
- Jagson

Last edited:

TheStargazer

Previously LunaLuma
Could I please sign up... I've never participated in a tournament on Pokecharms and I think this one would be good for me to start with...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
You're all in.

The exact rules are above, odds are it'll break one of Smogon's monotype rules so you'll probably have to use AG mode on Showdown.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Will we be using swiss brackets like the last monotype tournament or will it be standard format? Regardless the answer I'm in!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Depends on the number of participants we get. I'd like to do swiss again but it requires a decent turnout to really work.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
As many as we can get I suppose.

As for Blaziken, I don't know. It was banned last time we did this and the only changes I've made to the rules is to add Solgaleo, Lunala and Power Construct to the ban list.

TheStargazer

Previously LunaLuma
All the Pokemon on the banned list are on the Uber Tier on Pokemon Showdown except for Rayquaza which is higher then Uber and it's the only pokemon in a tier higher then Uber because of it's mega evolution (Before Sun and Moon were out, I'm pretty sure Greninja and Ageislash were in Uber as well) . Blaziken is there because of how well it works with it's hidden ability and Mega Ability, Speed Boost. Incase you don't know what Speed Boost does is after each turn, the pokemon's speed is raised by one stage. Combine that with a 160 attack and 130 special attack....

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
For everyone who has signed up: Keep an eye on your inboxes on May 1st. I'm going to be messaging you which type you'll be using.

An RNG will be used to decide your type, and unless there's more competitors than there are types, no two players will be given the same type.

You then have just over two more weeks to decide your team from there.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Everyone who has signed up will have received a message with their chosen type this morning.

Anyone who signs up from this point onwards will receive their type within 24 hours of their signup.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Signups are now officially over.

I'm going to be away over the weekend so the brackets won't go live for a few more days. A link to the thread will be PM'd to you all once it goes live.

Status
Not open for further replies.