• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Moveset needed for Drifblim

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
So... Drifblim's a pain-in-the-ass Pokemon, because none of my usual moveset strategies work.

Strategy 1: Use STAB as much as possible.
Easier said than done. Drifblim's Ghost/Flying. The only Flying-type attacks it learns are Gust and Fly, both of which are naff in battling (I *hate* 2-turn attacks). And using Ghost-type moves is inadvisable, because it has much higher Atk than Sp.Atk, and both Ominous Wind & Shadow Ball are now Special moves. Hmmm.

Ominous Wind does however seem to be the Ghost-type version of Silver Wind or Ancientpower, and I love that move. The random stat increase rocks. So I suppose I have one possible move already.

Strategy 2: Cover your vulnerabilities.
Drifblim is 2 x vulnerable to Electric, Ice, Rock, Ghost & Dark moves (!).

Fighting moves would kill three of those problems, but Drifblim doesn't learn any. Similarly, Ground moves are 2 x effective against Electric & Rock, and Steel moves are 2 x effective against Ice & Rock - but Drifblim doesn't learn any of those either. Fire & Rock moves are 2x effective against Ice... and Drifblim learns Will-o-Wisp. Big wow.

It *does* learn tons of Electric-type attacks, but see previous comment about crappy Sp.Atk stat. Also, several other contenders in the team can learn Electric attacks, so I'm not exactly desperate for them.

Bug moves are 2 x effective against Dark, so I suppose I could stick Silver Wind in there too.

Strategy 3: Figure out what your strategy actually is.
If I stick Ominous Wind and Silver Wind on Drifblim, it seems to be being a random stat-boosting Pokemon. What do you think about the moveset:

1. Ominous Wind - Ghost, Special - 60 100 May raise all user's stats one stage.
2. Silver Wind - Bug, Special - 60 100 May raise all user's stats one stage.
3. Calm Mind - Raises user's SP. ATK and SP. DEF one stage.
4. Baton Pass - Switches out the user but status changes remain.

Seems ok - but I'm not sure whether Drifblim has the Defense or Sp.Def stats to use it?

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
o_o Silly Bara. Drifblim's base Special Attack stat is at 90, while its Attack stat is at 80, according to the Charms Dex anyway...

Strategy 3 seems to work best for you, since Strategy 2 wouldn't really work and you're screwed with Strategy 1 since you hate Fly, and Gust is Teh Phailz.

#3 depends on whether Ominous/Silver Wind decide to give you stat boosts, Calm Mind may not work all that well, since its Defense is a 44, while Special Defense is at 54. Stick Explosion in Calm Mind's place, only to be used as a last resort of course, but I think it would prove its worth.

And Baton Pass can stay if you want to be able to pass on those stat gains, but since its Special Attack isn't as crap as you assumed, Thunderbolt could be something to consider. Or perhaps even Toxic/Thunder Wave/Will-o-Wisp. Psychic would make a nice filler if you don't have a Psychic attack on your team.

If you pay attention to Natures and EV's: Hasty or Naive would work, or one of a neutral Natures. And for EV's, EVing it in Special Attack and Speed would be a good idea, perhaps Attack as well, to add a heck of a lot more kick to Explosion, not that it needs any... >> And EVing in HP may be a wise option too, since taking advantage of that 150 base HP would be nice.

Hope that helps at all.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Oops - I read the table as 150 Attack & 90 Sp.Atk :-[. Ok, that makes the whole thing easier ;).

Any ideas for a hold item?

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
150 would make Drifblim a heck of a lot more common than Weavile in competitive play. XD

As for an item... no idea really. :/ You can't go wrong with Leftovers.

I recommend a Salac Berry for the item.

Drifblim was pretty much made for Baton Passing. One of the more common movesets has him just throwing up Subs for the Salac activation, then BPing out. It could work for non-Substitute movesets, too, so long as Drifblim survives to get the Salac kicking in.