• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Next 'Charms Tournament - Your Thoughts

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Initially I was going to announce another Pokemon Online tournament sometime earlier this week, but due to Mafia starting up again I've decided to postpone until Mafia VI is over.

What this does mean is that I can get a better idea of what everyone wants for the next tournament, whether it be Doubles VGC, Singles OU as before, or perhaps something completely different. It could be on PO, it could be via Wi-Fi, perhaps even with B2/W2, who knows?

The idea of this topic is to hopefully come up with a tournament idea that all of us would like to see, so feel free to start discussion.

I think that we should use PO. Lots of people don't have Wifi, or have an unstable Wifi connection, therfore many who wish to compete in the tourney would be unable to. However, with PO, an internet connection is all that is required. It's a much more practical choice.

As for battle type, Singles is the way to go. It's the standard battle type, everyone knows how to play it, everyone has at least one Singles team. OU as a standard, but tiers can be interchangeable.

I think that the tourney could use a revamp, too. Last time, without set fixtures in place, Sho battled everyone in a very short space of time, creating a massive gap in points between Sho and everybody else. Perhaps limit the number of battles one can participate in per day?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Luckii said:
I think that the tourney could use a revamp, too. Last time, without set fixtures in place, Sho battled everyone in a very short space of time, creating a massive gap in points between Sho and everybody else. Perhaps limit the number of battles one can participate in per day?
I have to say I think this would just hinder things. Sho's massive points lead in the previous tournament was simply because he kept beating everyone. He would have done the same even with a limit on battles.

Teapot said:
Luckii said:
I have to say I think this would just hinder things. Sho's massive points lead in the previous tournament was simply because he kept beating everyone. He would have done the same even with a limit on battles.

Yes, but he had played around 5 games more than everyone else. His lead was indeed catchable, but, with the "battle whenever you want" rule, he just kept having match after match, until everyone else didn't have enough time to catch him. Nothing against Sho, but it just seems unfair that when some people can't battle, somebody else is just having match after match, not giving the other a chance to compete fairly.

A limiter would keep the tourney much more competetive, create more suspense, and would probably make management much easier.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Sho getting his battles done faster had nothing to do with his dominance. Out of all 15 matches, he won all but one of them, which meant you would have needed a perfect record to beat him. Even if he'd been slower to get his matches done than everyone, he would have still won. Sounds like you're trying to excuse your own ineptitude more than anything else to be honest.

Regardless, I probably won't be using the League-style tournament again since it takes far too long, it's too difficult to manage effectively and it's obvious people lose interest after a while, which makes the added effort pointless anyway.

Oh, and for the record:

Singles is the way to go. It's the standard battle type.

This is false. 4vs4 Doubles has always been the standard format for all official tournaments; they have never once used Singles.

The next tournament will probably be a knockout-style tournament or a Swiss-style tournament (I'll explain that in more detail only if requested) since they're easier to manage and overall probably more fun to play through than simply battling 14 other people.

I'm totally game for another tourney. I would prefer it to be on PO since I don't have a copy of BW atm. I'd gladly enjoy a Doubles tourney, as I've been out of the Doubles game for a while, but I'd be perfectly fine with Singles, too.

I have a few teams that need their debut~

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If I'm honest, I don't care much for PO as an alternative to WiFi (I prefer using my own Pokemon) but for now I understand why it's a good fit for our tournaments. Overall I'm imparial to which we use but considering numbers and activity levels I'd say PO is the better choice.

As for the style of tournament, we did Singles last time and I'd rather see something new this time 'round. Doubles, Triples, Rotation - whichever it be, just not Singles. Doubles is the most likely choice considering it's the most strategic of the three and people are more used to it re: Triples/Rotation. A Swiss + Knock-out style tournament could be interesting but coordinating who fought who in the swiss rounds could be a bit time consuming. Either way I agree that not using the league style again is probably a good idea.

As a side thought... Any interest in finally getting another WiFi Little Cup tournament going? Once B/W 2 are out it'll be easier than ever to breed for natures and abilities, which should hopefully make it more appealing for players to breed in general.

I'm agree with Katie honestly. This time around, I'd rather do Wifi, but PO is definitely more convenient for those who night not have wifi. I don't particularly care for anything other than singles, but a doubles tournament would be a nice change of pace.

Its also not just a case of not having wifi, but also the time.

I don't have the time to raise a team at the moment, but I'd play on PO. Also prefer singles, but whatever format it is won't matter so much I think.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Doubles is more likely to be the format of the next tournament than Singles is since GBU and VGC only ever use Doubles format anyway, we've used Singles for pretty-much everything on 'Charms so far as it is and PO has a server named Skarmbliss that is used primarily for Doubles matches, so PO is more than good enough to hold the matches if Wi-Fi is too problematic for people.

Seems quite a few people want Doubles anyway, which makes things easier to plan for me since I can just use VGC rules with no trouble rather than having to make my own, or having to put up with the controversy of using Smogon's Singles rules.