• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Platinum Battle Frontier team help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tcha, I'd mostly like feedback in general and for any possible changes I could make and such. Please be aware this only consists of three Pokemon as it is a Frontier team, from Platinum, so nobody gets confused. For the record, as important as Natures are, I'm not too big on them.

Edit: I do plan on using these competitively on occasion as well, even if these aren't really EV trained due to using them ingame to get badges and the like.

Yanmega@Life Orb
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Speed Boost
-Bug Buzz
-Detect
-Ancientpower
-Air Slash

Personally, I don't know too much of how Yanmega is played in general. I do realize, however, that Tinted Lens is really much better, as he gets walled by Steel types, but after running out of Safari Balls twice, I gave up with the Yanma catching after I finally got this one. My main strategy is to get a free turn through Detect and then sweeping away. I'm pretty sure Life Orb is a bad option here, due to Yanmega's tendency to take lots of residual damage the like. (CURSE YOU STEALTH ROCK!)

Houndoom@Blackglasses
Lax Nature
Ability: Early Bird
-Flamethrower
-Roar
-Dark Pulse
-Thunder Fang

Houndoom just my sweeper for type coverage, really. I'm very certain that Blackglasses is also a rather bad idea here as well. He usually gets to kill off what Yanmega normally can't ie. Steels. If someone could suggest a better move than Roar, I'd greatly appreciate it, as I'm more than certain he'll die if he doesn't go first anyway.

Porygon-Z@Choice Specs
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Adaptability
-Thunderbolt
-Nasty Plot
-Ice Beam
-Tri Attack

Alright, I know that Nasty Plot is absolutely idiotic on a Choice Set, but I used it before I got the Choice Specs, so I'm kind of searching for a better move there. The BoltBeam combo there is there just for lots of coverage, and I use Tri Attack on anything that doesn't resist normal. Unless it's got crap damage. The main thing I'm looking for on this one is a replacement for Nasty Plot, unless someone has a better item to think up for this. Also Pory-Z is usally my lead in most cases, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any input that may be given, and I'm truly grateful if one even so much as looks at this ~

Speed Boost is not a bad ability. If you use Detect of Protect on turn one, you'll be getting a free speed boost. Note that the ideal nature for Yanmega would be Timid or Modest, but any Speed or Special Attack boosting nature (That doesn't lower the Speed or Special Attack stat) is fine.

Yanmega@ Wise Glasses / Life Orb
Modest / Timid
Speed Boost

-Protect
-Air Slash
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power [Ground] / [Ice] / Shadow Ball

Airs Slash and Bug Buzz provide core STAB attacks.

With Hidden Power Ground, you hit the Steel-types who resist you. Ice hits Dragons.

Shadow Ball is also used to cover Ghost-types. Mostly a filler move here.

Houndoom could do with Nasty Plot. Or go mixed.

Houndoom@ Life Orb
Mild / Rash Nature
Flash Fire is preferred

-Sucker Punch
-Flamethrower / Overheat
-Thunder Fang / Pursuit / Reversal
-Hidden Power [Electric] / [Ground] / [Fighting] / Pursuit / Reversal

Sucker Punch is sweet. And gets STAB as well.

Overheat is a one-off move, so use it if you know you're going to switch. Otherwise Flamethrower will work great as a STAB attack.

Thunder Fang is a filler move but covers Water-types.

Pursuit catches runners and gets STAB.

Reversal is quite interesting. Once you're down to about 10% HP or so it becomes quite powerful. Though using the Life Orb ruins it. Switch the item to the Expert Belt if you want to use Reversal.

Hidden Power gives it some options in Electric, Ground and Fighting.

Electric is obvious, Ground hits Rock-types, while Fighting gives great coverage with Dark-types.

Alrighty, so I'll switch off Ancientpower on Yanmega for a Hidden Power, and I'll probably put Reversal on Houndoom to replace Roar and get a Expert Belt.

Also, since you said nothing about Pory-Z, I guess there's not much I can change there?

Well Porygon-Z can use Signal Beam instead of Nasty Plot. Or Shadow Ball. Both are decent options, though I'm more inclined to lean towards Shadow Ball to hit Ghost-types who could try an come in on your STAB Tri-Attack.

Well then, thank you very much for the help. I'll probably put Signal Beam on as I've used up Shadow Ball on every game I have. Whoops.

Aaaaaand since all my questions have been answered, I guess I'll be locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.