• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokehuman Encounters - A Retrospective

Hey, professional lurker here.

I find it fun to look back at stuff. Sometimes I’ll listen to old songs, play old games, look at old messages, etc. just to reminisce on when times were different. Not really better, not worse, just… different. I’m not sure if this kind of an obsession with nostalgia is unhealthy or irregular, but I think you get where I’m going with this.

Roleplays are some of the most fun things to look back on, for a few reasons. I enjoy looking back at how I spent and enjoyed the time, like with anything else. It’s also fun to remember what I was thinking at the time, something I especially enjoy about roleplays in particular: When I get into a roleplay, fast or slow, my mind is always racing with ideas for characters, arcs, posts, and sometimes just enjoying the concept in general. I remember my walks home when I would imagine scenes and soliloquies in my head, or brainstorm the appearances and mannerisms of a new character. I remember staring off into Chesapeake Bay, my mind less focused on the beach I was on during vacation and more on what I would post getting back to the hotel room. For me, It’s also a great way to gauge how far I’ve come, in both who I am and how I write. I was a much different person back then, and it shows in how my characters acted.

Three and a half years is a long time. 2019 was a year that’s several viruses, wars, heads of state, space telescopes, social movements, cryptocurrencies, and even monarchs of Britain away. High schoolers then are either in college or the workforce now—including myself. As I write this, I reminisce from my university dorm on those simpler times of leaving the windows open to let in the cool spring breeze, solving jigsaw puzzles next to cinnamon incense with my parents, and lurking around the library chessboard as the smell of coffee wafted through bookshelves. I was a teeny little freshman when a thread titled “Pokehuman Encounters” encouraged me to step out of just lurking Pokecharms and into creating an account. I was impressionable, judgmental, overly passionate about trivial things, and felt both inferior and highly superior at the same time—y'know, typical 15 year old stuff.

There's definitely a lot of my mindset back then that seeped into my writing, mainly in Reuben, the character I made for the roleplay. He was a kid dripping with sarcasm, through whom I injected a half-baked joke into every post, and who managed to evade all of the adversities everyone else faced for a good 40 percent or so of the roleplay. Reuben was a character I made almost as a way of showing self-awareness while writing, and as a way to almost display that I wasn't taking the roleplay fully seriously. Pokehuman Encounters was my first venture outside of the small Pokemon roleplay Discord I had exclusively used for a year and a half by that point, and to do so on a public forum felt like I was exposing myself. Have you ever watched or read something that you were deeply invested in, but felt weird doing it to the point of having to make fun of it as you went along? That may just be a me thing. I'm not sure about that. I promise I'm past it though.

Past the comic relief, I see some potential in Reuben I wish I had tapped into, and reflecting on that was probably the main point I decided to write this whole thing up. There were plenty of points where I could have chosen to ease up on the relentless barrage of puns I kept throwing around and allowed him a serious line of dialogue. His paranoia was one: Almost as soon as he joined the group he realized that there was little way of getting himself away from it. This was mentioned in one post and then effectively discarded. There was when he turned, once again panicking for one whole post and then reverting back to the same jokes he kept making. There was when he got caught by Eli, and when he stayed in his ball while Talia got caught, nearly feeling guilty for her capture before being told by his own Pokemon to just move on—which, of course, he promptly did.

There were so many in-character moments I could have used to help reveal the caring side of him I touted out-of-character that I didn't for some reason, and that remains my biggest regret from Pokehuman Encounters. I doubt I'll ever end up using Reuben again; his character was the kind that felt at home in only one roleplay, and one that needed a lot of time to flesh out that I doubt I'll ever get again. Who knows, though—recently his character has grown on me again, so I may end up finding some time and place to remaster his flawed character arc. Don’t count on it, though.

There was another character I used in that roleplay. One I only look back on with disgust and a "What were you thinking" sense of regret. It's Dmitri. Even during the roleplay I realized that I hardly had any enjoyment playing him: he was a flat, edgy, no-bite villain, and I have no intentions of bringing him back in any capacity, ever. It’s kinda funny: I used a static comic relief character in a place that could’ve used more seriousness, but completely glossed over the idea of a sarcastic villain. I tried to make amends for my bad “bad guy” in Antoine, an egotistical scientist hellbent on “improving” the world at the expense of its inhabitants, but after every roleplay I used him in quickly died I got the message and stopped. After four to six renditions of him, both on- and off-site, I got tired of the idea and moved on to greener pastures.

Despite my fatigue with Antoine and characters like him, I still enjoy rereading the old Encounters roleplays, seemingly moreso than anything else I was involved in. Though, in a way, I can see why—I thought about them more than anything else when I was involved in them, partially due to my genuine fascination with the idea as well as the speedy pace they went at. I was (and, to some extent, still am) used to roleplays with days, even weeks between posts, but at times those roleplays went by in minutes. I would wake up to 5 new notifications, check my phone at lunch to 8 more, and by the time I could finally post I’d have missed whole battles and character introductions. I would walk home thinking of what to write, only for it to not be relevant once I was at my computer 15 minutes later.

Despite it all, I had a lot of fun. There was never a dull moment, and its speedy pace often meant I spent most of my free time working on it. Usually when thinking of a certain time in my life, I end up thinking of a lot of different, minor factors, like games I played or music I listened to. But all I need to remind myself of that spring is simply backreading about what I wrote. That’s probably why it’s so special to me: it’s one of the most directly nostalgic things I have. A window into more pleasant weather and simpler times.

I always think about how differently it could’ve gone if I was a more competent writer then, if I didn’t base everything off of the Marvel movies I was obsessed with at the time. But would I still be as interested in it if we were all perfect writers? I can’t say the answer for certain, but I do know that all the flaws I can spot in my writings must be a sign of something good. I feel like I could go on for a thousand more words about my experience roleplaying here, but I think I’ve said most of what I want to say for the time being. Who knows: maybe I’ll come back and “reboot” this retrospective in the spirit of the roleplay, haha.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading through all of my unorganized ramblings about a specific roleplay that, for one reason or another, meant a disproportionate amount to me. Maybe there’s a similar roleplay that means a lot to you, or maybe you just wanted to remember the roleplay with someone else involved in it. Either way, I’d love to hear of your own experiences. Roleplaying here has been a blast so far, so thank you to everyone who made it possible. I look forward to whatever unforgettable memories we may create in the future.

-Peroxide

The Dark Fairy

Previously Eliiiscool
This is amazing! In a way, I'm grateful to hear this was so big for you!
Hey, this is The Dark Fairy, the creator of Pokehuman encounters. Back then I was known as Eliiiscool, a dumb pun on a name I really like. Pokehuman encounters was my first venture into making a roleplay and in many ways, it's still my favorite. It was a way for me to invent all kinds of things and actually put them into something.

The idea really does keep drawing me back, causing me to reboot it quite a few times. Sometimes I imagine people find it humorous that I do that. I still talk to some of the people that joined me in this roleplay. At the time of writing, I have tried the concept four times, and intend to go at it a fifth time soon enough.

At some point in time, I was told by a few people that Pokehuman Encounters was their first roleplay and that it was really important to them. This surprised me, as I didn't consider myself skilled at such this at the time, and it was the second one I had posted. I sometimes wonder what it might have been if it stuck around, and if its sequels meant nearly as much, or anything?

Also at the time of writing, the original Pokehuman encounters is the longest-running Roleplay I have ever posted, clocking in at 24 pages and almost a thousand posts for the Roleplaying portion of the thread. The more recently posted have become progressively less popular, only breaking 2 pages worth of responses.

Thanks for reading my cobbled-together response to some "unorganized ramblings about a specific roleplay" that I created. Thanks, Peroxide, this small paper was a pleasure to read. (It might have also inflated my ego)

-Dark Fairy

Magic Sparkle

Previously Sparkling Emolga
Hello hello! In case people don't remember me, I am the random one who played Juliet/Jolty and some other small and forgotten characters (does anyone even remember Mr. Fluff?) in these roleplays.
I want to say some things as well and my development with writing and other stuff since that RP means a lot to me too.

I'll start of by saying that while this isn't exactly my first RP, it is my first major one. In that Roleplay I also created my first human OC one could say, Jolty, nowdays called Juliet.

And honestly, she was absolutely bad written and exadurated. A dull personality with her only purpose of being a timid coward who runs away from everything. Freaking out constantly and overall just a character meant to be weak and helpless. At least she had some kind of development thanks to the Tailow and maybe the Dedenne as well that helped her along the journey. She was still a bad written character that depended on others rather on herself.
I was really bad at writing back there (and still am honestly) but I really enjoyed being part in the roleplay. I got to get a bit outside my comfort zone and meet some amazing people that I unfortunately rarely to never speaks with them due to me being shy and really bad at making connections.

Anyway, I saw potential in Juliet and continued with her in the other RPs. And with each attempt of the Pokehuman Encounters' roleplay I became better at writing and Juliet became more stable. She still need some reworks and changes to her personality and story, being still the normal timid character. But now I manged to create several new characters, humans and pokemons. Each with different and interesting backstory and personality. I am even trying to write a story as well using most of them, one that I am quite proud of in fact.
Assuming that without the roleplays, this special roleplay in particular, all of that were never to happen.
I might still not be a good writer, far from it actually. But I will still try my best like always.

Sorry if all of this sounds like some random mumbling, explaining is still my weakness.
If there would be a new attempt at that roleplay, I might not join. Nowdays I am more busy with personal things and I wish I could have time for other things. I will treasure forever every memory from Pokehuman Encounters though.
And if by any chance I will join a new attempt of the roleplay (assuming and hoping there would be a new attempt), perhaps that time I will let Juliet rest and use some other character or OC, a one that would be interesting.

-Magic Sparkle

Low key????? I'm stephen in the rp back in those years ago. feels like forever ago and i just started to come back today. wish we could use stephen again because PE was some of my first times roleplaying and unfortunately one of my last. i became a writer and hated to talk to other people during covid though and it shut me off but now im happy to come back. but yeah it feels so weird that was high school, now im in college and i feel like after 3 whole years i can settle again back into the online world (mainly forums, i use my insta and crap still lol). but yeah pokehuman encounters was so much fun and im glad the users are still, uh, there lol.

it's been forever since i've rp-ed which is kind of a good thing because i was shit at it in high school :'|:'|:'|. but yeah i loooved PE, and it surprises me all these users are here still.

id ramble a lot longer but i just saw this and it's like 11:30 pm so im way too tired to write this lol

-jekis

Woah, hey Jekis! You were probably the last person I expected to see reply to this, glad you're doing better!

Honestly, don't beat yourself up over it. Your posts were some of my favorites; I really enjoyed interacting with Stephen, and posts with them always ended up being entertaining to read. I've all but accepted that most of my old roleplays sucked, but I still have a lot of fun writing them and even more enjoyment looking back on them.

I'm honestly not sure why I use this site anymore. I've basically retreated back to a small handful of Discord servers like the ones I first branched out from, but there's always something here every few months that gives me enough cool ideas to drag myself back. I'm dealing with my own writing blocks and I've been somewhat preoccupied with the hardest class I've ever taken, but I'd love to roleplay with you again if you ever want to.