• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Pokemon Battle League [TOURNAMENT RP]

Welcome, welcome, one and all to the Pokemon Battle League!

I'm your host, Smiley, and I'm pleased to introduce this new competition!

Here, you will be put against trainers from all over the globe, all skilled in their own rights! You will be pitted against each other with only one trainer coming out victorious in a grand finale!

Here are the rules:

-Please do not copy/paste a META VGC or Smogon team. It ruins the fun.

-Each Pokemon's Ability and Moves must be available by either Level-up or TM in the current Generation. Egg moves bred into that Pokemon by a Pokemon NOT of the same species are prohibited.

-Please be respectful and courteous. Trash-talk is okay, but don't cross the line.

-Legendary Pokemon, Ultra Beasts, and Mythical Pokemon are prohibited. This also includes Alpha Pokemon from PLA

-Mega Evolution and Z-moves are the only gimmicks allowed, Pokemon-exclusive Z-moves are allowed.

-Each contestant must have a team of six Pokemon with four moves each.

-If a battle ends in a tie by any means, the contestants must have a rematch to progress in the bracket.

-HAVE FUN!

If you are interested, please reply to this thread with your character in the following format:

Name:
Appearance:
Team:

Pokemon 1:

Nickname:
Species:
Ability:
Other Notes:

Last edited:
Two questions. How many moves can we have? Are we limited to four moves per Pokemon, or can we use all their current gen level-up and TM learnset? Or, are we giving it a limit of six or eight?

What do you mean when you say "No meta strategies"?

I'm in no way a competitive player and have no idea what's considered meta, but I do know bits and pieces of what is meta. There are also multiple competitive metas that I at least have seen. Do you mean essentially copy+pasting the best VGC or Smogon-tier teams onto the character? What about a well synergized mono-type team you make yourself? Are those off-limits?

I have a hard time imagining what a meta strategy is...

Like, anything above Smogon OU I can imagine is difficult, but what about the tiers below that and mono-type teams that are within their own tier? What about those? Those are technically competitive in their own tiers. What about STAB moves, since they are meta? What about theme teams like weather, terrain, and trick room teams? What about pseudo-legendaries? What about hazard setting, having Taunt, having Encore + Disable, having Defog/Rapid Spin?

Like, there's a lot of stuff that happens in competitive Smogon throughout all its tiers (mono-type, weather, terrain, trick room, and everything from Anything Goes and Ubers to ZU) that is considered a part of the meta or helps make up the meta. I'm sorry, it's just really vague.

Meta is determined by what is available and the context of their usage. There was an Articuno on the VGC rankings earlier this year (around March) that was extremely anti-meta, but because quite a few Pokemon were weak to Ice and Freeze Dry in that VGC thing, it became meta, and it's one of the most awful things I've seen. Snow Cloak, Blizzard, Ice Beam, Freeze-Dry, Sheer Cold, and it holds Choice Specs and its tera type is Ice. It won.

So, how are we policing meta where we have quite a few access to these things and it isn't clear what is meta? That's why meta is so confusing to me because it changes depending on the limits a tournament sets.

Last edited:
Two questions. How many moves can we have? Are we limited to four moves per Pokemon, or can we use all their current gen level-up and TM learnset? Or, are we giving it a limit of six or eight?

What do you mean when you say "No meta strategies"?

I'm in no way a competitive player and have no idea what's considered meta, but I do know bits and pieces of what is meta. There are also multiple competitive metas that I at least have seen. Do you mean essentially copy+pasting the best VGC or Smogon-tier teams onto the character? What about a well synergized mono-type team you make yourself? Are those off-limits?

I have a hard time imagining what a meta strategy is...

Like, anything above Smogon OU I can imagine is difficult, but what about the tiers below that and mono-type teams that are within their own tier? What about those? Those are technically competitive in their own tiers. What about STAB moves, since they are meta? What about theme teams like weather, terrain, and trick room teams? What about pseudo-legendaries? What about hazard setting, having Taunt, having Encore + Disable, having Defog/Rapid Spin?

Like, there's a lot of stuff that happens in competitive Smogon throughout all its tiers (mono-type, weather, terrain, trick room, and everything from Anything Goes and Ubers to ZU) that is considered a part of the meta or helps make up the meta. I'm sorry, it's just really vague.

Meta is determined by what is available and the context of their usage. There was an Articuno on the VGC rankings earlier this year (around March) that was extremely anti-meta, but because quite a few Pokemon were weak to Ice and Freeze Dry in that VGC thing, it became meta, and it's one of the most awful things I've seen. Snow Cloak, Blizzard, Ice Beam, Freeze-Dry, Sheer Cold, and it holds Choice Specs and its tera type is Ice. It won.

So, how are we policing meta where we have quite a few access to these things and it isn't clear what is meta? That's why meta is so confusing to me because it changes depending on the limits a tournament sets.
I meant copy-pasting the best VGC or Smogon teams. Teams that revolve around weather, hazard setting, and other things are allowed.

You get all moves learned by current-gen level-up and TM.

Last edited:
Ahh, that makes more sense. Thank you. XD

Sorry if my message looked a bit targeted or felt like I was angry, I wasn't. I was just really really confused. xD

And, I meant are we limited to 4 moves or can we have like.... 40 moves at one time if that's the case?