• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokemon Prodigies, Uva Underdogs!

(Discussion Thread)

Dom lay in his dorm, the lights off, the curtains pulled, not a single spec of natural light. The opened progress report sat on his desk as he pretended it didn't exist, like it didn't bother him. How could the son of a scientist... be failing his classes? The Luxury ball that laid on the desk burst open, and out popped Ningold the Gimmighoul. It looked at its trainer as he wallowed in his own pity. It hopped out of its chest and pulled at the trainer's pajama sleeves.

"Gimmie?" It beckoned.

The trainer sighed and rolled over, "Is there another one nearby?" he asked.

The Gimmighoul nodded, and the trainer pulled himself up. Although he looked like a mess, he was led by the antennae on the top of his partner's head, who now rested on his shoulder, as the two walked to the nearest elevator.

"Up or down?" The trainer asked.

The Gimmighouls antennae pointed upwards, and the trainer pressed the button. as they reached the roof courtyard, the cool night air hit his face. He walked out farther into the courtyard, and near a tree, there was a small chest.

"Oh wow, looks like we found a chest this time." he said to the small gimmieghoul on his shoulder, "right, Gimmighoul, use astonish."

The Gimmighoul hopped off his shoulder and attacked the chest. The Gimmighoul residing in the chest jumped out and scurried away, leaving the chest at the base of the tree. The trainer kneeled down at the chest.

"10... 20.. 40... 60... Alright, that makes 950 coins in our collection." he smiled.

The Gimmighoul was happy to see his trainer smile, and the two grabbed their loot and headed back to their dorm.

"Tomorrow is the beginning of the treasure hunt... and our remedial classes." Dom sighed, "But, we're one step closer to our goal, 1000 coins."

"Don't make too much of a ruckus, Mav. We don’t want to get ourselves in more hot water…"

Harlow was lurking through the silent halls of Uva, surely up to no good. The lack of life in the otherwise bustling school would usually feel unsettling, though tonight it was welcome. Alongside her trotted her partner in crime, Maverick. There was never a moment where the Zorua didn’t have a mischievous look to him, even when neither had anything planned.

It shouldn’t shake her so hard, that’s what she was telling herself. What else did she expect? It’s what she wanted to achieve, right? The teenager let out an exasperated sigh, stopping in her tracks to lean her back against a nearby wall. It took her partner a few seconds to realize he was leaving her behind, soon bounding back over to her. “At least you’re having a blast…” she mumbled with a brief chuckle. Harlow reached into the pocket of her hoodie, eventually fishing out a stick of gum. Unwrapping it and tossing it into her mouth, she went over everything in her head. Why was it so hard to swallow…?

“Guess we’re gonna be stuck here for a bit. ‘Least that means no mom and dad. Could you imagine the heart attack they’d have?” She snorted. “They’d burry me alive, wouldn’t hear the end of it the entire break!”

A pause. The girl looked down at her shoes, lost in her own thoughts. Maverick let out a curious yip, tilting his head as he did. What was going on in that head of her’s? The fox soon got his answer as she spoke up again.

“…I’m fine, Mav. Just…” Harlow huffed, pushing herself off the wall with her foot. She momentarily stretched, speaking as she did so. “Let’s keep walking, huh? It’s booooring just standing around.”

"Smile!"

Riri held her phone with her outstretched arm while aiming the camera at her and the Sprigato on her shoulder. They both smiled as the Rotom Phone took several shots and then Riri proceeded to quickly go through them, uploading her favorite one to her social media. Despite having to skip out on the treasure hunt that year, her spirit was still filled with joy an energy. She used her fork to make a smiling face on her plate using the fruit salad in front of her, stopping to wave and smile at all those that passed by her on the cafeteria.

"This looks De Li Cious!" She clapped her hands together while her Rotom Phone floated around the plate of food and took pictures of it, also uploading them, "Oh this is going to be a great year! We're going to learn to be better students and next year, Treasure Hunt!"

She began to eat her breakfast, still stopping to smile and wish others good morning as she sat by herself in the middle of the room.

Logan sat on the edge of his dorm bed with one hand over his face, his body slouched forward as his Rotom phone with a night sky styled phone case vibrated on his bedside table, the one who tried to call him was none other than his father, but Logan didn't show a single sign of reaching to pick up his phone. Ever since he learned that he wasn't going to take part in the Treasure Hunt--something he wanted to do for a long, long time--the fact that he wasn't going to take part and was forced to do remedial classes shot whatever happiness he had left down to an all time low, he could already picture how furious his father was along with the words he would say to him, those made up complaints were enough to put some violent thoughts in his head.

Over at Logan's feet was his partner, Greavard, who sat while he looked up at his trainer and whined, clearly he wasn't happy to see his trainer look so upset, his Mankey watched as Logan felt like he was on the brink of tearing up. Before Logan could make another move, he felt his Greavard stepped forward to bump at his leg while Mankey hopped up on to the bed and gently tugged at Logan's arm to get his attention, Logan turned his eyes to the monkey Pokemon before he turned to see his loyal spectral canine at his feet, he finally moved his hand away from his face and went to pick Greavard up, he set him down on the bed and pulled them both in for a hug, this caused the Greavard's tail to wag while the Mankey seemed more calm than before. Meanwhile, Logan showed signs of a smile, something he didn't do ever since he learned he would be stuck at this Academy for what would likely be another agonizingly long year.

Last edited:
As Dom staggered out of the elevator he looked out of the window and realized just how early it was. The sun was already starting to rise, and most of the students had already head out on their treasure hunts. It didn’t matter to him, Remedial classes didn’t start until the afternoon, so Dom decided to take it easy until then. As Dom reached his dorm room he noticed his Fuecoco gnawing on his bed frame.

“You both must be hungry, let’s go get some breakfast.” Dom said, recalling both Fuecoco and Gimmighoul to their pokeballs.

As he walked into the dining hall, it was deafeningly quiet. There was almost no one, except for one person, who seemed to be enjoying herself. It was strange, most of the other students had left on their treasure hunts, so why would anyone stay behind for school breakfast? He went up to the lunch lady and got his usual. 12 flapjacks, and he grabbed two extra plates. Although he didn’t want to intrude, Dom sat at the same table as the girl, but on the other end. He pulled out his pokeballs and let out his Pokémon, and placed two plates on the table and put 4 flapjacks on each plate.

“H-hello.” Dom said under his breath.

As the sun rose to introduce Paldea to a bright and new day, Logan reluctantly got out of his bed and remembered that many students were likely out on their treasure hunts, immediately filling his head with anger and envy, he should be out there, exploring all of Paldea! This line of thinking forced a groan from Logan's mouth as he got dressed and saw his Pokemon asleep on the floor; he hadn't bothered to return them to their Poke balls last night. He loudly clapped his hands a few times, this caused both Pokemon to yelp and wake up, Greavard immediately stood at attention while Mankey darted his head around in case of intruders, when he saw that the coast was clear, he looked up at his trainer who put his hands in his pockets.

"Let's go grab some food and see who else was unlucky enough to miss out on the Treasure Hunt..." Logan said and immediately walked over to his dorm door, he opened it and waited until his two Pokemon walked out before he closed it. As they made their way down to the cafeteria, Greavard followed close behind while Mankey climbed on Logan to hitch a ride on his back, both hands on Logan's shoulders and with how little reaction he showed, he was clearly used to it, even welcomed it as seen by the small smile on his face.

As both trainer and Pokemon looked at the different food options, he noticed Greavard put his paws on the glass as he panted with his tongue hung out and his tail wagging a mile a second at something he liked: Waffles, Mankey jumped off of Logan and gazed at the waffles as well, this adorable little scenario made Logan's smile get slightly wider and order everyone a serving of waffles each. After he got his food, he immediately moved to the farthest table he could while he only gave anyone who arrived before him a split second glance, when he sat down, he placed two plates of waffles on the floor near him and one on the table ahead of him, both Pokemon eagerly looked at their food and drooled.

"Dig in guys." Logan said and began to eat his food, his Pokemon weren't close behind as they relentlessly devoured their meals while Logan took his time with his and smiled even more. He hoped that his morning would be a quiet and peaceful one before he'd have to suffer through lessons, the only excitement he needed was from his Pokemon... or even a battle to get stronger, but for now, all he desired right now was peace and quiet.

"Come on Grace! One more lap!" It was relatively early this morning in the Paldea Region when Leona Tempest and her Cyclizar, Grace, left her dorm room and began training in the sports field. She enjoyed riding her Cyclizar while Grace enjoyed her trainer's company. Today was the day everyone would begin their Treasure Hunt. Everyone but her that is. Leona was stuck having to stay at the school and take remedial lessons, all on account of doing terribly in one class: Battle Studies. If Leona was being honest though, she was never that interested in battling to begin with.
As she was thinking about this, she felt Grace come to a complete stop and realized they had finished their last lap. "Good job girl, let's go get some food I bet you're on the brink of starving right about now." Despite Leona's teasing, Grace looked back and smiled at her. "Zar!"
- 10 Minutes Later -​
Leona and Grace arrived in the cafeteria and started browsing their options, before ultimately deciding to go with bacon, pancakes, scrambled eggs, and hash browns with some maple syrup and a cup of black coffee to wash it down. Looking around the room, the place was pretty much deserted, save a few other students that were likely there for the same reason as herself; remedial lessons. Finding a seat and not feeling like interacting with anyone at the moment, she and the Dragon type with her got started eating in silence.

"Hi there!" Riri called out joyfully when Dom took his seat. "Are you skipping out on the Treasure Hunt also? What a bummer huh? It's okay though, the world has a plan for all of us, maybe we're meant to meet today. I'm Riri and this is my partner in crime!"

Riri's Sprigatito meowed and jumped on the table, sticking her chest out as she sat down and began to purr loudly.

"She loves people, like me. We want to spread joy to the world!"

Much like everyone else, Harlow ended up in the cafeteria. She wasn't starving herself, or so she claimed, though Maverick seemed rather hungry. Having stored him inside her hoodie, his little head poked out of the top in order to look at his options. Harlow looked along with him, hands in her pockets as she waited for him to point something out. "Let's see... bacon, sausage, waffles... yeah same old stuff. Knock yourself out, Mav." Harlow fished the canine from her hood, putting the Zorua on the ground as it gained a mischievous grin. That was their breakfast deal, the teenager would let him do whatever as long as he didn't involve her.

She shuffled off to some unclaimed table as the Zorua trotted along. Any old food wouldn't do, no no no... he wanted to try and grab something from someone's plate. He just had to find someone...

Aha, there.

There were a couple trainers sitting alone, though there was one in a corner that looked easy enough. His Pokemon could prove to be a problem if the Zorua wasn't careful... Ohhh, but if he couldn't get food he could stir up a scene! Skipping under a table, Maverick came out disguised as a Rockruff, a common go-to for him. Mav trotted under a different table closer to the lone trainer, stopping under it to prepare. The plan was to go in, grab whatever food he could, and bolt.

"Aren't you ready yet? Come on we have to go do some battle training. You know this is the last morning I'll be here before I go out on my treasure hunt!" The tall Paldean boy, Lionel, stared at his friend Lucie, who was sitting at her vanity in her dorm room, applying her makeup and styling her hair.

"Just leave already! I didn't ask you for battle training, and besides, it's not like I'll miraculously become a good enough battler this morning before my remedial classes start." Lucie continued to stare into her mirror, ensuring she didn't make a mistake in getting ready. Out of the corner of her eye through her mirror, she could see her exasperated friend standing frustratingly behind her as she continued to get ready.

"Look." Lucie turned to face her friend, ignoring the open progress report and personal recommendation stating it would be dangerous for her to go out on the treasure hunt with her level of battling skills.

"I know you really want to travel with me, and I wouldn't mind that too. But you know I'm never going to be a battler, I'm going to be a performer. Right guys?" Lucie's Eevee and Quaxly primping themselves, letting out a small cry each to indicate their agreement.

"Besides, a girl's gotta eat first if she's gonna have the energy to keep up her performances!" Lucie, having finished getting ready, ascended from her chair, picking up a small handbag before rushing out the door.

"Come on! Let's head to the cafeteria first"

- 5 minutes later -​

Lucie and her friend entered the cafeteria, being followed closely behind by Lucie's Eevee and Quaxly.

"Let's see... Bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, waffles... It's like they want me to gain weight!" An exasperated Lucie continued down the of cafeteria food, her finger to her cheek in perplexment.

"Aha! Fruit salad and yoghurt, parfaite!" Lucie made up three bowls, a small one with some fruit and yoghurt for herself, and two larger ones with some fruit, and a small pancake for each of her Pokemon. Lucie made her way over to a cafeteria table, sitting down for her meal, washing it down with a cup of tea she made for herself.

"Urgggghhh. I'm gonna fall so behind on my treasure hunt!" her groaning friend, Lionel, trudging slowly over with his food.

“It was less a choice and more im not allowed, but yeah, maybe we were meant to meet today.” Dom said, the gloominess slowly beginning to lift from his demeanor. “Here are my two partners, Darunia the Fuecoco and Ningold the Gimmighoul. We don’t really have any cohesive plans… which is probably why we needed up here.” he sighed.

Riri waved at the two Pokemon with a smile before taking some fruit from her plate and feeding it to her Sprigatito, "Well it looks like we're not the only ones so far." Riri said as she looked around the cafeteria, "Oh which classes do you need to improve in? Maybe I can help you out, I'm pretty good at everything except history. I just don't understand why we have to focus on the past when the present is here and now, you know?"

Lili, the Sprigatito, stretched and jumped down to the floor, cleaning her right paw first and then proceeding to clean her face. She had had her fill of fruits and now needed to wait for her trainer so they could go play outside.

Banan-chan

Previously QueOne
“It’s because the past informs the present. Very important, you know...”

Flora, looking for a place to sit, couldn’t help but overhear the conversation between Riri and Dom. She swiftly took a seat beside them.

“That being said, I didn’t do too well in history either. I guess I’m just not too great with that kind of stuff.”

She spoke nonchalantly, but in her stomach a knot of dread was forming. There was a phone call soon to come, the only phone call she ever got since coming to Uva—the one right after grades were sent out. It was never too bad, and she was always able to stay out of her father’s sight, just like he wanted. This time was different, though; she’d never messed up so badly as to outright fail. She was sure that this next call would bring no mercy. It wasn’t here yet, though, so she tried as hard as she could to swallow the lump in her throat and put on a friendly smile.

Having finished her breakfast, Leona looked to her Pokemon. "What do you think Grace, should we see who all got stuck here for the foreseeable future?" Looking up to her trainer, the Cyclizar nodded before swallowing the last bit of her own breakfast. Looking around the room, Leona ultimately decided to head to where Dom, Riri, and Flora were sitting. Just before heading over, she took a deep breath and told herself. "Here goes nothing."
Arriving at the table with Grace in tow, Leona spoke up. "Are you guys stuck here for the Treasure Hunt too?"

Logan was still in the midst of eating his breakfast, unlike his Pokemon, he tried to be as tidy as possible while his Pokemon cared little for the mess they made, although in recent days they have learned to be more careful. As they are, Logan looked around and couldn't help but eavesdrop on some conversations, one topic he heard was a girl who seemed too cheerful for someone who also had to miss out on the Treasure Hunt, that kind of attitude made Logan shake his head as his face showed a brief moment of disgust. As he saw the same table he looked at earlier show more and more people, Logan made it apparent to give as little eye contact as possible so that he didn't have to get involved, he certainly didn't want whatever 'comfort' they had to offer and just wanted to train with his Pokemon as soon as possible.

Speaking of Pokemon, his Mankey and Greavard both ate the last of their food, the monkey Pokemon let out a little belch, something that earned an annoyed glance from Logan while Greavard walked around the table and noticed the crowd of other trainers present, his tail started to wag eagerly as his panting got louder. "Greavard." Logan called out, the spectral dog Pokemon immediately looked back at Logan who shook his head while he wiped Mankey's mouth with a napkin, then lightly tilted his head to have Greavard come back, the dog Pokemon barely hesitated and went to sit back with Logan, although unlike his trainer, his gaze rarely left the crowded table of students.

"Oh someone who I can relate to!" Riri replied to Flora with enthusiasm, feeling a connection right away, someone she believed was super important.

The table getting more attention was peeking Riri's interest, she felt her positive aura was attracting them to her, and she was more than willing to spread the joy. "Yup, no treasure hunt for us..." She said to Leona, pouting for a second before smiling again, "But that's okay, we can always make the best of what we have!"

The red head couldn't help but feel the stare of the Greavard, making her smile at the Pokemon and wave at it.

"At least I'm not alone." Leona muttered to herself before continuing. "Guess I should introduce myself, I'm Leona Tempest and this is my partner, Grace." The Dragon/Normal waved a forepaw in greeting before making her way to the other Pokemon at the table, easily dwarfing them. "So, what remedial lessons are you here for? I'm stuck with Battle Studies."

Banan-chan

Previously QueOne
"Hello, Leona," Flora responded to the woman with a meek smile. Her Klefki, in response to the looming Cyclizar, jangled its keys in a not-very-intimidating display of intimidation. Flora reached out to her Pokemon, letting it nestle onto her wrist like an oversized bracelet, and brought it closer to her. "Settle down, now, Keys," she murmured with a small grin, stroking her Pokemon gently. This seemed to have a noticeable calming effect on the Klefki, who ceased its jangling in favor of a contented vibration.

Hearing of Leona's struggle with Battle Studies, Flora felt she should offer a helping hand. After all, she wasn't doing so terribly herself—she was doing quite well, actually. Why that was, she still wasn't quite sure. Her and Keys just sort of did it, and even though they were usually expected to lose against any of the better trainers at Uva, she still often managed to come out on top. And though she was always an advocate for peace, she had to admit that there was a thrill that came in the heat of battle—when she was perfectly in tune with every move, every command, every hoot from the sidelines, even it wasn't for her.

A tug from Keys snapped Flora out of her blissful musings.

"Battle studies? I'm not so bad there, maybe I can help you out a little?" Flora said, looking up at Leona, a little more confidence than usual creeping into her demeanor.

When Greavard caught the attention of the red headed girl who waved at him, his panting got louder while his tail wagged even more than before, just as Logan was finished wiping Mankey's face, the monkey Pokemon pointed down at Greavard who started to stand up and trot towards the red head girl at the crowded table. Logan's eyes widened as he watched his companion commence what he assumed would be a very embarrassing situation, one that would lead him to the last thing he wanted: Social interactions that would eliminate his chances of his beloved peace and quiet.

"Greavard, no!" Logan whisper-yelled to his canine companion, but sadly, Grevard didn't hear him that time, instead he moved over to Riri and looked up at her while he still panted with his tongue stuck out, Logan's head sank on to the table ahead of him and forced an annoyed grumble. He reluctantly stood up from his bench while Mankey climbed up his trainer to hitch a ride on his back, his hands held his shoulders firmly as Logan lazily walked over to the crowded table to catch up with Greavard.

Hearing Flora's offer, Leona smiled. "I'd like that, thanks." Taking another deep breath, Leona nervously rubbed her neck. "To be honest, I think the reason I suck at that class is because Grace and I have little to no interest in battling in the first place."
While Leona was explaining her situation, Grace observed the obviously frightened Klefki, confused by the display it put on before sitting down on the floor next to her trainer's feet. Once the Dragon type caught a whiff of the Klefki's Fairy typing however, she quickly tried to hide herself behind Leona, fear evident in her eyes.
Leona facepalmed. "Come on Grace, I know you're afraid of Fairy types, but seriously?!"
@Banan-chan

Oh... that was convenient! As Logan and his Pokemon left, Maverick trotted over to the now vacant table, hunting for scraps or anything he could get his paws on. He let out an annoyed yip, those two cleaned their plates rather well...

The disguised Zorua turned his head towards the top of the table. That human didn't seem to fully finish, though! With a couple of hops and using a chair to gain height, Mav soon was on top of it. He proudly strode over to Logan's plate, content with the prize he managed to score no matter how little was left. It was waffles too! Always a good pick to the little trickster. Maverick quickly dug in, tail wagging as he soon forgot this wasn't actually his food. There was no need to keep an eye out for anyone if he was already reaping the rewards! At least Harlow always thought to, though she wouldn't be there to back him up this time if he got caught.

Dom sat quietly as the conversation around him began to grow. Riris words echoed in his head, why did he focus on the past so much? As if he were his gimmighoul, Dom hid inside himself, hoping all the people around him would go away, but it seemed like only more and more people came and popped up.

“I…. I struggle in history and battle studies.” Dom basically whispered, hoping maybe no one would notice

"Well there's a happy pup!" Riri exclaimed as Greavard approached, she couldn't help but notice the trainer after it though. "Hi! You have a lovely Pokemon." Riri was about to pet the Pokemon, but a thought crossed her head, something she figured she should ask everyone at the table. "Wait, does anyone know when does class start? I don't want to have a tardy on my first day, not again."

Lily looked up from the floor at her trainer, shaking her head slowly. It was common for Riri to be late, specially since she always stopped to smell the flowers, literally.

When Logan arrived to see his Greavard finally looked back to see his trainer's annoyed expression, causing the Pokemon's joyful expression to cease immediately, even if he were to apologize now, the damage had already been done and this wasn't something that could be 'fixed' so easily. Logan sighed, yet remained stood up as he turned to look at Riri, the girl who's mood struck Logan as unusual and ridiculous; how could someone who failed to take part in the Treasure Hunt still be so bright and cheery?

"Thanks." Logan said as he went to kneel down and give Greavard a little pat on the head... although his annoyed expression remained before he looked back at Riri and raised an eyebrow when she asked when class was. "Some time in the afternoon, so we've got time to just do what we want before those dumb lessons."

Dom sighed sand soon finished his meal, since classes didn’t start until well into the afternoon, he decided he’d try and train, maybe having mock battles with himself would get him better in battle studies. He put away his tray and plate and returned his Pokémon to their pokeballs, and went up to the roof. He knew he wouldn’t have time for friends, that is if he wanted to ever dream of participating in the treasure hunt.

“Okay… ummm, Gimmighoul, use astonish, Fuecoco… use ember?” Dom said, unsure of his commands.

His attitude towards battling shined through in the execution of his pokemons attacks, unsure, and sloppy. Dom squatted down, putting his head between his knees.

“What am I doing wrong…” he sighed to himself.

The trainers Pokémon ran over to comfort their trainer, feeling like they had caused the turmoil.

“No, you guys did the best you could. Maybe I should just give up on battling.” Dom said.

The trainer unraveled himself and sat himself on the grass, wondering if he could ever be any good at battling.

| Korutesu |

Previously NotAPokemonRanger
Carl was sitting near the corner of the cafeteria with his partner Pokémon Blipbug, where he sat alone, eating quietly. He didn't need to go and interact, he already had Benson, so he didn't need anybody else. And plus, he was already failing Battle Studies, having other people would just make him fail more.

After he'd finished eating, he walked to the school roof to try out actually battling, even if they were training dummies. When he'd arrived, he noticed another student, who also was having a bit of trouble with Battle Studies. He waved a small hello, as it would be polite, but then got ready to attempt a battle.