• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

OR/AS Primal Groudon

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
OfficialPrimalGroudon.png

Primal Groudon
[type=ground][/type]/[type=fire][/type]
20477_info.png

Japanese Name: PrimalGroudon
Classification: Continent Pokémon
Height: 5.0m / 16" 05"
Weight: 999.7kg / 2,204.4 lbs.

20471_abilities.png

Ability: Desolate Land

20473_cryptidata.png

Revealed: With the surprise reveal of the Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire remakes Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on May 7th, 2014, the first images of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre were also revealed. At the time we quite didn't know what these colourful new forms were but a month later on June 7th, 2014, a CoroCoro magazine leak confirmed that they were indeed of new evolutions (known as "Primal Reversion" forms) for the two Hoenn legendaries.

Additional Info: From Pokémon.com: "With an Ability that can control the weather and a high Attack and Defense, the powerful Pokémon Groudon obtains even greater power upon Primal Reversion. When Groudon undergoes Primal Reversion, it becomes Primal Groudon. Through Primal Reversion, Groudon's powerful Attack grows even greater. It also gains the Fire type, raising the power of the Fire-type moves it can learn. And it appears that its Ability might get a boost! Look forward to more details about the power hidden within Primal Groudon!"

It's also stated that "the energy that fills its body pours forth as magma, and it burns with such an extreme temperature that its body is always shimmering with the haze of its heat."

20483_stats.png

Primal Groudon receives a major boost to its Attack, Defense and Special Attack stats.

HP: 100
Attack: 180
Defense: 160
Sp. Attack: 150
Sp. Defense: 90
Speed: 90

20479_locations.png

Groudon must hold the Red Orb to undergo Primal Reversion. This may be found:
Omega Ruby: Held by Groudon.
Alpha Sapphire: Mt. Pyre following the Primal Groudon/Kyogre narrative.

20476_evolution.png

Groudon undergoes Primal Reversion to become Primal Groudon.

20472_artwork.png

GroudonSizeComparison_v03.png
20482_screenshots.png

EN_V1_p10_01_ele.jpg
EN_V1_p10_03_hzm.jpg
Pokemon ORAS June 10 screenshot 1.jpg
Pokemon ORAS June 10 screenshot 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
When I initially created this page I hadn't realized that Primal Groudon had gained an extra type. It wasn't until reading through the actual text information that I stopped and thought, "Wait. What?" :'| It's a well-deserved update really. With a move pool like its, Groudon was always asking for that Ground/Fire dual typing. I'm interested to see how its new ability will boost its power, too.

The one thing I can say for Primal Groudon design-wise is that it very looks nice in those top two screenshots. I've always found Groudon somewhat adorable and that hasn't changed with this upgrade. It's all glowy and pretty now. :angel:

Pokemon…. stop making legendarys even more Op

Does it even matter when the actual overpowered ones are in a tier of their own? Stats aren't everything either - Mega Mewtwo X/Y boast insanely high stat totals and can still be beaten fairly handily.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
Does it even matter when the actual overpowered ones are in a tier of their own? Stats aren't everything either - Mega Mewtwo X/Y boast insanely high stat totals and can still be beaten fairly handily.
I'm talking about in game.

I think i gonna buy omega Ruby but im not sure yet :'| Cauz i like Alpha Sapphire too :p My starter gonna be Torchic i love it :love: ♥ But i like these others too :'| Well im Waiting ♥

i love all legendaries but primals?hard to pick and to choose which better

maybe mega rayquaza :D

wait i broke my own rules XD:'|:?@.@:@:o:halo::angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Primal Groudon WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY better than Primal Kyogre but if it was between Primal Groudon Primal Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza I would say Mega Rayquaza. If it's between Groudon and Kyogre and even their Primal forms Groudon always but between the 2 Primals and the one Mega I would say Mega Rayquaza. I know I pretty much repeated myself. Sorry about that.:(

In the picture in front of the cryptidex i don't understand them getting Primal Groundon and Primal Kyogre in the same place without them trying to totally obliterate each other, and in my Opinion I think that kyogre is better since it has the type advantage But I do agree that RAYQUAZA RULES THEM ALL!!!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It's a promotional anime screencap. Logic does not apply. (And they're too busy posing).

Also, Primal Kyogre's type advantage is only relevant if it is sent in after Primal Groudon - since if Desolate Land activates, water attacks cannot be used at all. Also, as Harsh Sunlight also functions like normal sunlight and Primal Groudon gets Solar Beam... Surely you see where this is going. Not exactly the best situation for the oversized orca. Of course, if the Orca comes in second and gets its rain on, Primal Groudon may be in a pickle-

Oh wait, what's that? It can get Thunder? Which becomes 100% accurate in rain? And it also gets Thunder Punch, which is physical and thus could tap into that ridiculous 180-base-attack and presumably wreck more shit against Primal Kyogre's lower physical defense? They're speed-tied? Yeah, I honestly wouldn't worry about Groudon's chances. They're fairly evenly matched, honestly. And that's why the collateral damage effect of them fighting over Primal Crack Cocaine is so devastating.

(At least until 'Quaza descends from the High Heavens and yells at them both to get off its lawn.)

Jhan Garc

Formerly AkenabeShiro
It's a promotional anime screencap. Logic does not apply. (And they're too busy posing).

Also, Primal Kyogre's type advantage is only relevant if it is sent in after Primal Groudon - since if Desolate Land activates, water attacks cannot be used at all. Also, as Harsh Sunlight also functions like normal sunlight and Primal Groudon gets Solar Beam... Surely you see where this is going. Not exactly the best situation for the oversized orca. Of course, if the Orca comes in second and gets its rain on, Primal Groudon may be in a pickle-

Oh wait, what's that? It can get Thunder? Which becomes 100% accurate in rain? And it also gets Thunder Punch, which is physical and thus could tap into that ridiculous 180-base-attack and presumably wreck more shit against Primal Kyogre's lower physical defense? They're speed-tied? Yeah, I honestly wouldn't worry about Groudon's chances. They're fairly evenly matched, honestly. And that's why the collateral damage effect of them fighting over Primal Crack Cocaine is so devastating.

(At least until 'Quaza descends from the High Heavens and yells at them both to get off its lawn.)

This is glorious.

LOL on the Rayquaza comment. but still which one is good and which one is evil cause the good one has to have the advantage

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
'Good' and 'Evil' are really arbitrary constructs of humans. What we're dealing with is a number of large, non-humanoid creatures who would, quite honestly, give negative fucks about the moral values of these insignificant bipedal specks that are walking around in their territory.

You can't oversimplify this shit.

but of course what i have to say is that there has to be a balance. take the groundon and kyogre rivalry for example if one of them didn't exist then the other one would take over. Groundon would most likely create a planet 100% covered by land and kyogre would most likely create a planet 100% covered by water but of course if there wasn't rayquaza one of them would sooner or later beat the other which is why there are so many trios, it balances nature. Rayquaza balances Groundon and Kyogre, Girantina balances out Dialga and Palkia, Kyurem balances out Zekrom and Reshiram, and Zygarde balances out Yveltal and Xerneas. See it is all about balance BALANCE I TELL YOU!

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Most of the Trios have very little to do with the balance of nature. They are merely thematically linked and are sometimes complementing rather than conflicting.

Kyogre and Groudon's issue is mostly that of collateral damage - If one defeats another, it will simply rise again after a respite to do battle with its counterpart again. In the original timeline they seem to be in conflict mostly because their powers are dangerous to each other - but in the 3DS timeline they battle over control of Primal Energy. Their power may wax and wane but they're going to continue wrecking shit - which is fine from their point of view but from the point of view of any other organism on the planet, this could be trouble. Rayquaza simply has the ability to calm them the eff! down. That's all. THAT is indeed one of the only trios where a third member is a balancing influence.

But the others? Yeah, this is where things are different.

Dialga and Palkia are primordial dragons of Time and Space and they have little reason for conflict - Time and Space are very closely related, in fact. Sinnoh's creation myth claims that they were created by Arceus and facilitated the expansion of space-time in that particular universe. Giratina, however, is described as having been somewhat of a wildcard: a territorial, violent beast that was 'banished' to a world on the 'reverse side of ours' (presumably a reference to it being a personification of Antimatter - known to annihilate violently when it comes in contact with matter). It's implied that events in the Pokémon World have consequences in the Distortion World and vice versa - and so, its involvement in Platinum for existence may as well have been it acting to preserve its own territory. A bit of an accidental guardian really.

Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem are all components of what was once the same creature - a singular dragon that fissioned into two due to some nonsensical debate about 'truth' and 'ideals', with Kyurem being the husk left behind. Once again, they don't really balance each other.

As for Xerneas and Yveltal - they appear to balance each other, with Zygarde taking the role of a passive observer, monitoring the ecosystem of the Kalos region. Without a definitive version of the X/Y games' plot, though, it's a bit difficult to tell what Zyg itself does if a massive scale disruption occurs. What we DO know is that Xerneas spends most of its time in tree forme, gathering life force until it has enough to bloom into its active deer forme, spraying out the life-force as it goes, revitalizing the land until it runs out and then it turns into a tree again to generate more. Yveltal, on the other hand, spends most of its time in its angry bird forme - and when its life is about to end, it drains the life out of anything in a large radius and rolls into a cocoon form where it regrows, regenerates, rejuvenates and other things beginning with 're' before bursting out on another flight of fancy bacon-murder. Presumably these two have a bit of a balanced cycle, wherein Xerneas restores life to the ravaged land following a Yveltal feeding cycle - but what exactly the implications are for Zygarde aren't exactly known at the time.

Either way, I grow tired of writing novels to explain the obvious. Once again, I suggest actually reading things about what you post before posting nonsense.

while all other statements may be true Dialga and Palkia have many conflicts which basically happens every time they meat. evidence of this is in the Pokemon movie Rise of the Darkrai were the two legendaries battle and almost destroy the city that they are in. There rivalry is very much real. it took Darkrai along with some help to stop them. though yes they team up together but only when a bigger threat arrives like when Arceus returns to destroy the world, and i bet even Groundon and Kyogre would do the same if a bigger threat arose to destroy there home.

Glad to see how awesome Groudon has become especially with that ability. I can now imagine Primal Groudon vs Primal Kyogre.

Kyogre- *ability used*
Groudon- *ability used*
Kyogre- *attempts to use hydro pump but doesn't work* Dammit :@
Groudon- u mad bro? <.>