• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

PRP Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Just a handy guide for those new to Charms Role Play or for those who’ve been around and simply want to try it out.

1. Your plot.

Like a story or a movie, the driving force behind an RP is the plot. You need a good one to keep other RPers interested. This means that you need to try your best to make it as original and un-cliché as possible, which is pretty hard since few ideas are ever original anymore. Of course, sometimes cliché ideas are fairly enjoyable, so it’s really up to you to judge what you think people will and will not like. Use the RP discussion forums to discuss your idea to see if people are interested, and they can also tell you what you can change.

You also need to decide if you’re the one who keeps the plot moving in your RP, or if you’re going to let the other RPers decide through their actions and whatnot.

2. Your writing.

The way you write determines who is going to be interested in your RP. Even if you have the most amazing plot ever conceived, if u type liek this whith crapy spelign and no grammer ur fic wil never be raed. Srsly. No one will pay any attention to it, and God will hate you. =)

-------

Those are really the two BIG things when it comes to Roleplays, but I highly, HIGHLY suggest you read this thread. Please read it, oh gods please. A lot of what is in there will translate nicely over into RP.

Moving on.

There are other things to consider when writing an opening post. Make sure there’s room for other characters to come in!

“And then Bob bumped into a shadowy figure!” is also not the right way to end your post =|

If you end your post in public place, then you have no worries, as it would be easy for another person’s character to come into the picture. But otherwise, you have to be careful, because if there isn’t an opening then no one will post.

When you’re posting in someone else’s topic.

If you’re the one posting in a topic that isn’t yours then there are a few things to consider.

One of these is READ THE BLOODY TOPIC, ESPECIALLY THE FIRST POST. ALL OF IT.

There :’D I got it out of my system.

A lot of times people will have their own little rules for their RPs, and these must be respected. If you fail to adhere to them then it can result in a warning and/or a possible removal from the RP.

Also make sure you read all of the posts after that to make sure you know exactly what the hell is going on.

The next thing is to please respect the plot. Don’t bring in your own devices that steer it off course.

And please respect other RPers, and don’t be a godmodding douchebag.

Communication.

If you need to talk to the other RPers or make a comment, then use the OOC/BIC tags. If the comment or question or whatever is fairly long then it’s best to ask them in a PM, otherwise, use those tags.

OOC = Out Of Character. This means that you’re not writing as your character, and you’re making a note or a comment, or asking a question.

BIC = Back In Character. Say this when you’re done with your OOC to let people know that you’re now writing as your character again.
*Note: If you don’t have any OOC comments then there is no need for a BIC tag in your post.

I also typically put the tags in bold, mostly because I think it looks nicer, but you don’t have to. Just make sure they’re easy to see.
-------

That should be about it. If you have any questions feel free to ask them here. Another thing I will tell you is not to be bummed when your RP dies. Yes, I said when and not if. Because as long as I’ve been here not a single RP or PRP has ever finished. Not to discourage you, of course ;3 Just bug the heck out of the people in your RP, or accept that it’s dead and make a new one.

Also take a look at these threads.
* Pokémon Role Play Rules
* Back to school, kids. Grammar Time!
* Writing Tips – yes, linking it again just in case you didn’t read it. Which you should. Right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Sem said:
Communication.

If you need to talk to the other RPers or make a comment, then use the OOC/BIC tags. If the comment or question or whatever is fairly long then it’s best to ask them in a PM, otherwise, use those tags.

OOC = Out Of Character. This means that you’re not writing as your character, and you’re making a note or a comment, or asking a question.

BIC = Back In Character. Say this when you’re done with your OOC to let people know that you’re now writing as your character again.
*Note: If you don’t have any OOC comments then there is no need for a BIC tag in your post.

I also typically put the tags in bold, mostly because I think it looks nicer, but you don’t have to. Just make sure they’re easy to see.

I have a question about "killing-off your character". If you don't want to be a part of the RP any longer, is it okay to let your character die?

It could, but it's also more typical to just write your character as leaving the RP(after PMing the topic creator and telling them that you wish to leave). Death is certainly a harsh way to leave, and if they're dead, well...it'd kinda be hard to bring them back for another RP.

I have a question: how will these be organized for instance, if the RP takes more then one day how would one make sure to continue with the story?
Oh, and also where could i find the RP discussions?

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Re: your second question, I see you already found those (Board descriptions are not that hard to read). But re: the first. Forum RPs operate on the assumption that people involved in them don't have the memory span of a fictional goldfish - they are rarely ever instantaneous in nature (especially because sometimes inspiration doesn't come or life gets in the way - I, for example, have two RPs I am currently having difficulties responding to because of a combination of both these factors). If people are being PARTICULARLY inactive or laggy, it's okay to send them a message to see if they're still on board with an RP or not - but don't overdo it. No one likes a nagging derp.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
If we have a godmodding Mary Sue on a roleplay, is it acceptable to kick them or something?
Report them – if you put that you're the RP owner and would like them removed in the report reason, we'll sort it out for you.

I want to make an rp soon, and once all of the spots are taken, I want to make it private. So, does that mean anyone that has posted in the rp will be able to post if the Prefix is Private? I am not sure

I want to make an rp soon, and once all of the spots are taken, I want to make it private. So, does that mean anyone that has posted in the rp will be able to post if the Prefix is Private? I am not sure
The prefix "Private" is just a prefix. Anyone can still post, but if they aren't allowed, you can report them.

One thing I often do is, If I control multiple characters, like an Espeon and an Umbreon, I make it so that when one's talking, the Color changes. I used red for the Umbreon and purple for the Espeon in that example. There are other ways to show who's talking, but that's what I do.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
One thing I often do is, If I control multiple characters, like an Espeon and an Umbreon, I make it so that when one's talking, the Color changes. I used red for the Umbreon and purple for the Espeon in that example. There are other ways to show who's talking, but that's what I do.
While it's certainly a valid technique, it's not generally something we'd do here or particularly recommend. Colours can be misleading and often make role play posts difficult to read (that green isn't really legible for me, for example). Instead, use your prose to describe who is talking, even if it's as simple as "'Welcome to Hoenn, John said," or "Dave shrieked at Jane to get in the chopper." If in doubt, we try to write like you might see in a novel.

I think it might be time to actually do that challenge here... making an RP that like either finishes or possibly goes on... I do tend to use brackets which are these symbols: [ ], if I'm translating Pokémon talking.

Also well... I'm curious in using unused Pokémon in roleplaying here. Are we allowed to use them? And if so, do we need approval or any special permissions from a moderator or admin?

(An example who I'm talking about is Kurusu, who was the original starter in generation 2. He was unused though in the official releases, so technically he might not be official.)

I think it might be time to actually do that challenge here... making an RP that like either finishes or possibly goes on... I do tend to use brackets which are these symbols: [ ], if I'm translating Pokémon talking.

Also well... I'm curious in using unused Pokémon in roleplaying here. Are we allowed to use them? And if so, do we need approval or any special permissions from a moderator or admin?

(An example who I'm talking about is Kurusu, who was the original starter in generation 2. He was unused though in the official releases, so technically he might not be official.)
That might be against the rules, like using your own Fakemon in an RP.

@Anime Psyclone
Are you sure about that? I already knew that you're allowed to use Fakemon with approval. I'm asking about unused Pokémon here... (No I'm not talking about the ones that are coming out of generation 7.)

I'm actually asking about the unused Pokémon that have been created and even used in some game betas.

(Essentially Pokémon that were supposed to be in the games, but weren't and are forgotten since they were unused. An example is the two original starters from generation 2, Kurusu and Honoguma.)

Does anyone know anything about using fan-made legendaries in RPs? I made two, whom I want the characters of my Vitala region RP to meet. No one will be allowed to bond with or capture them, and since the Vitala region is based on Italy, I thought it fitting to have two legendaries based on Italian folklore (Their names are Dahugina, and Laurirey, if anyone's interested)

I'd have to assume since it's legendaries... I'd have to say probably special permission would be required from the staff. And well, I'm not the only one that has fan made legendaries now.

I think that legendaries could possibly be from like a simple sighting, to like fighting alongside it and even ultimately befriending them.

I think the reason why legendaries would be heavily regulated would be because the average person wouldn't just carry around the god of destruction encased in a ball around with them... not to mention that this would cause some problems since people can abuse them. Also well they're very rare and they're elusive...

Ok, just wondering

Also, I'm a bit confused about how I ask for permission to have a mega evolved Pokemon in my mainstream Rp character's team.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Also, I'm a bit confused about how I ask for permission to have a mega evolved Pokemon in my mainstream Rp character's team.
Start a private conversation with @StellarWind Elsydeon – you'll want to provide full details (read: a bio) of your character and their Pokémon, and explain why they should be eligible. You can see the full details in the PRP rules, under the Mega Evolution section :)

Could a charachter that is used as a plot device (such as a gym leader) be able to use mega evolution? ( he isn't a members personal charachter, but one of the storyline)

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
Question: Is it logical to start up a role play while your doing another role play? Also, is it possible to do a role play in which people play certain roles? I’m mean that like this: say I wanted to do a Unova adventure role play. Say I was the main character, could I get other people to play characters that are actually from the Pokémon Black and White games/anime?(ex:Cheren, Bianca, Professor Juniper, N, etc.)

Question: Is it logical to start up a role play while your doing another role play? Also, is it possible to do a role play in which people play certain roles? I’m mean that like this: say I wanted to do a Unova adventure role play. Say I was the main character, could I get other people to play characters that are actually from the Pokémon Black and White games/anime?(ex:Cheren, Bianca, Professor Juniper, N, etc.)
  • This depends on if you are able to juggle with each role play and not get one of them left behind in favor of the other.
  • I have seen that, but if you are planning on having that kind of role play, then you might be better off organizing it first beforehand instead of having others sign up for said role.
  • If the last question is with canon characters, then I would not know what to say exactly since using canon characters is highly frowned upon from what I heard from the staff after someone else asked a similar question. (This is because your view of a canon character might not be what someone else sees said character as.)

Question: If you're in an rp, and you have to fight gym leaders to get badges, What do you do? Do you roleplay as the gym leaders for that time? Or what?

Depends on the RP creator. They either usually let you be the gym leader for an easy way to put up a few posts of you fighting them. Otherwise, they'll be the gym leader to keep people from making the gym leader not themselves (i.e.: Lt. Surge not battling ferociously and with raw power, Misty not using the water battlefield in her gym, or just destroying their personalities and enforcing your headcanon on them when it is not needed).

Headcanon is basically where your interpretation of a character isn't canon, but can't be backed up that it is fake or not given their personality and history.

MarshmallowCloud

Previously PrimarinaHatterne
I do have a question, as well! Is it possible to have a semi-casual roleplay on PokéCharms? For example, using about three paragraphs for a response, focusing more on a loose plot than a planned one, et cetera. I know you guys have some serious regulations regarding roleplays, so I wanted to ask in case I needed to redo a specific one of mine.

Whether it be casual, semi-casual, or strict, a lot of roleplays are accepted here. Just as long as they follow the basic global and PRP rules, it's all good. Just make sure that there are at least 3+ sentences every post and a basic understanding of grammar, and it's all good. Whether an RP is serious/strict or casual has no bearings on the rules and what is or is not okay. The only thing this site really cares about is making sure posts have 3+ sentences, basic grammar, and have no content that autos or bunnies other player's characters, among others (like not having Legendary/Mythicals/Ultra Beasts/Mega Pokemon/Dynamaxing Pokemon in any other spot that isn't a Power Spot).

Excuse me, but what is double-posting? I've been accused of doing it multiple times and I originally thought it was just two posts back-to-back (and I've only done it once), but I still get accused of doing it. Does it have another meaning.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
That is actually factually incorrect, and if you don't know something about how a forum works, you should leave explaining to staff.

Double posting means posting two (or more) times in a row, when no one else posted in the interim. It doesn't matter if these posts are similar, different, continuing each other, or anything of the sort. As you can edit your own posts, if you have any further thoughts to add to a post you've made and no one else said anything in the interim, you should edit that post instead of making a new one.

Basic forum etiquette, which I know might be lost on a lot of people who aren't actually used to forums, but that's why the rule is there.

That said, thank you for drawing our attention to the fact that our rule on the subject of double-posting didn't actually refer to the thing as double-posting but just as "posting multiple times in a row". This has been amended for clarification. ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.