• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Re: The Great Unova Treasure Hunt!

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Six Months Ago

Deep beneath the surface of the Unova region excavators and their Pokémon were hard at work expanding the Relic Passage that extended between Driftveil City and Castelia City. To have a network of tunnels connecting the furthest points of Unova was the dream of the Driftveil City Gym Leader, Clay. Thanks to his ambition, one could travel to and from Castelia City and Icirrus City in half the time it used to in previous years.

“Hey Gurdurr, could you bring me one of those support beams?” requested one of the workers. He wore a brown hard hat, white gloves, and a jumpsuit. The legs of the suit were yellow while the torso and arms were black. A Pokémon resembling a Muppet on steroids came over with a long wooden beam slung over one shoulder. The species usually carried red beams made from steel, but for the tunnel work, wooden beams were more efficient. Gurdurr effortlessly stood the beam against the cavern wall to support the ceiling and prevent a cave in.

“Thanks partner!” said the worker giving his Pokémon an appreciative thumbs-up. Gurdurr grunted with a derpy smile as if to say “No problem Boss!”

Elsewhere in the tunnel a Pokémon with a mostly yellow and white hide with thick brown spines protruding from its back was digging away at a wall with long sharp white claws. The Sandslash swiped at the wall but struck a surface harder than the rest of the dirt around it. It struck again assuming it to be nothing but bedrock only this time the entire wall collapsed on it.

“Claws!” shouted another worker, the Pokémon’s Trainer. “Are ya alright?” he asked worriedly. Claws dug its way out of the rubble no worse for wear. “I’m glad yer fine.” said the worker with relief giving his Sandslash a pat on the head. He looked up at the collapsed wall only to see the slab Claws was having trouble getting through. It looked to be a mural of some kind.

“Tom! Hey Tom! Get over here will ya? I think we got somethin’!” the worker shouted. A man with a thick brown mustache, who was obviously the supervisor by the orange vest he wore over his uniform, came rushing over to the scene.

“What’s wrong Jim?” inquired Tom.

“Whadda ya make of this?” Jim asked pointing to the mural. Tom got a big grin on his face at the sight. He slapped Jim on the back a few times in excitement.

“I think we just made the discovery of the century! Get Clay on the line!” the supervisor said with a hardy laugh.
---------------------------

Present Day

It was only mid-morning but the sun was already high in the sky shining its bright, warm rays on the streets of Nacrene City. A young Trainer with messy brown hair wearing a purple t-shirt, dark blue jeans, and white running shoes had just arrived in the city for the second time heading straight for the Nacrene Gym to face the Gym Leader, Lenora. Shiro had lost to Lenora once before but after doing some training on Route 3 and Wellspring Cave, on top of adding a new team member to his party, he was feeling confident in his rematch. He was so focused in fact, that he barely noticed that Nacrene seemed much livelier compared to the last time he was in town. Any thoughts on the matter were simply brushed off as school being out for summer break and people wanting to take advantage of the nice weather.

It wasn’t until he got to the Nacrene Museum which housed the city’s Gym that Shiro began to wonder if there was more to the morning bustle than he initially thought. A huge crowd of people was gathered at the entrance slowly filing into the double doors atop a flight of stairs. While trying to figure out what could possibly warrant such a crowd, Shiro noticed a large red banner with blue trim hanging above the entrance reading ‘Welcome to the Grand Opening of Ancient Unova!’ in bold yellow lettering. He then remembered there was one exhibit in the museum that was closed off the last time he was here. That must be what was drawing the crowd. And just his luck, today was the grand opening of the new exhibit. This place was going to be packed!

“Great.” he groaned impatiently. Shiro was eager to get to his Gym Battle as soon as possible but he had no choice but to wait in line to get inside. Navigating through the crowd to the arena would probably be no easy feat either. As Shiro approached the front doors, he saw another advertisement for Ancient Unova which went into more details including that Lenora herself would be presenting the exhibit on June 12th, which was today, at 10am. According to Shiro’s Xtransceiver it was 9:32am. “Looks like my battle will have to wait. At least this exhibit sounds pretty interesting.” he mused to himself.

Inside the Nacrene Museum people of all walks of life were gathering. Archeologists, historians, and students in those fields had come wondering what such an exciting and new find could mean and if the artifact was going to change Unovan history as they knew it. Curious people who were simply hungry for knowledge were there hoping for a piece of information pie. Citizens of Nacrene City who had been longing for this day since the new exhibit was first advertised in the hopes that it would give them artistic inspiration for their next song, painting, or sculpture. Everyday people who had decided today would be a good day to take a trip to the museum either by themselves, on a date, or with their families and just happened the pick today along with the unsuspecting Trainers looking to challenge Lenora to a Gym Battle like Shiro. And the press was there to document it all.

All of these people gathered in the east wing of the museum where a large rectangular object of some sort stood in the middle of the room veiled by a large white cloth. Whatever this exhibit was stood about seven feet tall; at least two heads taller than the dark skinned woman standing next to it on the left. Lenora, the Nacrene Gym Leader and director of the Nacrene Museum, had a large afro of black hair tied back with a red and pink striped bow. She wore red shoes, blue pants, and a pink apron overtop a white shirt. Standing on the right side of the mysterious exhibit was a tall lanky man with pale skin, glasses, and thinning brown hair wearing a long white lab coat and brown slacks. He was Lenora’s husband and assistant director of the museum, Hawes.

As more people filed in, journalists standing at the front of the crowd crouched down so those behind them could see while keeping their notepads held out in front of them ready to write every word, every detail, of what was to come. Reporters stood idly at the ends of the crowd with cameras fixated on Lenora, Hawes, and the cloaked object.

Hawes looked at his analogue watch which read 9:59am. He mentally counted down the seconds in his head until the minute hand clicked over onto the hour. “Dear.” he said with an underlying tone of passion and admiration for his wife in his voice.

“Thank you, Hawes.” she responded with a warm and thankful smile directed at him. She then turned to her audience.

“Ladies and gentlemen. And of course, children too.” Lenora greeted in a loud and clear voice giving a nod of acknowledgement to a little girl sitting on her father’s shoulders. “I would like to personally thank each and every one of you for taking time out of your busy schedules to be with us here today on this momentous occasion. As I am sure all of you are aware, the Driftveil Mining Corporation, founded and led by my personal friend Clay xxxxxx, has been creating a series of tunnels beneath Unova to make traveling easier for people journeying the western part of the region. Earlier this year, a team he had expanding the Relic Passage came across this!” Lenora and Hawes both grabbed their respective side of the white sheet and pulled it until the relic beneath had been unveiled.

The up until now secret exhibit was a large stone slab with what appeared to be the Unova Region carved into it. Camera flashes illuminated the room as everyone with a camera or a phone snapped pictures. Lenora waited for the roar of the crowd to die down before continuing her speech.

“For those of you in the back who may not have a good view, this slate bares the oldest known map of the Unova Region that has ever been discovered to date. Unfortunately, the northeastern corner from modern day Pokémon League Stadium down to Humilau City is missing. We do not believe it was damaged during excavation because the edges are smooth. In all likelihood, it simply eroded away. This map is, of course, extremely outdated. Most of the cities we know today are nowhere to be seen and there are settlements marked that no longer exist such as this one here.” Lenora took a laser pointer from her pocket and used it to encircle an area in the middle of what is known today as Route 4 marked with two lines topped by a triangle resembling a house. “It stirs my curiosity to find out what secrets lay within that desert!” Lenora cleared her throat realizing she was getting off topic. “Based on the information this map gives us about the geopolitics of the time, the layer of sediment we found this in, and our own dating tests here at the museum, we have determined that this mural is approximately 2500 years old. That is what makes this such an important discovery. It comes from the time period where the mythological sibling founders of Unova unified the region with the help of the Original Dragon.”

Lenora then pointed to a section of the map near the Route 4 settlement marked with a shape resembling a simplified rook piece from chess. “Further evidence in support of the map’s age is this, which is no doubt the Relic Castle. Today they are but ruins, however based on the artifacts that have already been excavated and uncovered within the ruins, archeologists are certain that the Relic Castle was created 2500 years ago as the seat of the newly formed civilization. We also know there are still plenty of rooms and chambers buried beneath the sand that remain unexplored. It makes my heart throb just thinking about what hidden treasures from a forgotten age still reside there.” Lenora cleared her throat again for letting her passion of archeology get away from her. She then pointed to an island in modern day Undella Bay.

“Over here is a place you will not find on a contemporary map. This island sunk into the sea more than 2000 years ago, but recently divers have discovered ruins that have been given the name the Abyssal Ruins. Once again, these ruins are home to innumerable archeological finds.” she said keeping her enthusiasm in check this time. “Items found inside the Abyssal Ruins are dated as old as 3000 years, but the ruins were clearly still on the surface 2500 years ago.” She then pointed out two more marked areas near modern day Mistralton City and Icirrus City.

“These two areas here are Celestial Tower and Dragonspiral Tower. It is no surprise that Dragonspiral Tower is located on this map as it is by far the oldest structure in the Unova Region. Even I cannot claim to know how old it is. The greater surprise is Celestial Tower. While it is a very old building, we never expected it to be as old as this map is telling us it is. We cannot be entirely sure yet if there was some kind of important structure in this location 2500 years ago that Celestial Tower was built on top of or not. Further research will be needed to determine whether this map is indicating the Celestial Tower we know of or some other ancient landmark.” Lenora took a short pause to give the audience a moment to absorb all of this. She forgot for a moment that not all of the people here were her colleagues is the history and archeology fields. Most of the people were average citizens so she hoped that nothing was going over their heads.

“Now, you all are probably wondering why I took special consideration to point out these four locations.” Lenora teased at. “Aside from the fact they are the only man-made landmarks on the map that still stand today, these four towers are also specially marked with their own individual crests. Celestial Tower bares a crescent moon, a sun denotes the Relic Castle, a cloud symbolizes Dragonspiral Tower, and finally the Abyssal Ruins are emblazoned with a star.” she explained. “Now while that may not seem special, just a way to identify the four towers in Unova, none of the settlements bare any unique symbols to distinguish them from one another. We are still unsure as to what these crests on the towers mean and why our ancestors felt the need to separately mark them the way they did. Maybe it really was for easier identification, maybe it had some religious purposes, we just cannot be sure. If I could, I would love to ask them myself.” Lenora’s joke got a chuckle out of the crowd.

“So far the Celestial Tower is the most visited of these sites and the Relic Castle has been studied continuously for decades. We are only just now uncovering the secrets of the Abyssal Ruins, and Dragonspiral Tower has been untouched for centuries. I would love to get in there to discover its secrets.” She mentally berated herself for getting off track again. “We are also still working very hard to uncover the secrets of this map.”

Lenora took another pause. She looked at her new exhibit with wonder and integrity. After six months of research, she felt she had only scratched the surface of this mural’s mysteries. Still, she wasn’t going to gain much else keeping it in her musty old lab. Something as grand and historical as this deserved to be public where anyone could see it. Maybe some bright young university student with fresh ideas would spot something she didn’t. Perhaps an artist’s perspective would see some aesthetic her scientific mind overlooked. She turned back to the audience with a large smile.

“Well I am sure you all are tired of hearing me yammer on.” she said getting another laugh from the audience. “If anyone has any questions about the exhibit, please direct them to my assistant Hawes. I assure you, he is just as knowledgeable about the subject as I am. If any journalists or reporters would like an interview, please schedule one for after hours. I am a Gym Leader after all, and I am sure there are plenty of Trainers here today who are looking for a match with me.” That earned a cheer from Shiro and several other people in the crowd. “Once again, thank you all so much for coming out today. Please enjoy the rest of your time in the museum and never stop learning! Curiosity is the spice of life! Without it, life is bland!”

The crowd erupted into a roar of applause as Lenora took her leave to her office. Once everyone had settled down, people started dispersing to explore the rest of the museum, to bombard Hawes with questions, or to get a better look at the mural. Shiro waded through the crowd towards the Gym. The exhibit had definitely caught his attention, but he’d be back later to look at it. Hopefully the crowd would have died down by then. Right now he had only one thing on his mind and that was his rematch with Lenora.

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
Three days prior, Driftveil City

A young woman with silver hair and yellow eyes stepped off of the subway at Driftveil Station, ignoring any strange looks that came her way. Heidi Garnett had a particular way that she liked to look, and anyone that had seen the Coordination Contests she had participated in would probably find her memorable for those looks alone. Nonetheless, the people of Driftveil would likely not be aware of those contests, simply watching a strangely dressed teen wandering out of the subway and into town.

“Heidi!” came an excited yell, to which the young woman turned to be embraced by an older woman. Miss Garnett, Heidi's adoptive mother, was definitely the young woman's biggest fan. “It's been so long, my child. How have you been?”

“I've been well,” Heidi replied, her usual cool composure punctured with a smile that only her mother could bring to her face. “I have a few badges and ribbons to my name, all thanks to my Pokémon, of course. Ruby is a Mismagius now.”

“I made sure to watch it all on the television,” said Miss Garnett, beaming at her beloved child. “You have much credit in how well you trained them.” She had always encouraged her daughter to express herself creatively, so Coordination mixed in with the regular trainer's journey seemed a good fit for Heidi. Her striking looks and her unique team of Pokémon made for some interesting performances, both on stage and in battle.

The two women caught up, Heidi telling stories of her journies over the past couple of years and Miss Garnett telling of all the changes back at home. Suddenly, when Heidi was talking about Ruby, her mother got up from the table and went into the other room. Miss Garnett soon returned with a pamphlet, advertising 'the Grand Opening of Ancient Unova' at the Nacrene Museum.

“I remember you liked this sort of thing,” said Miss Garnett, pleased as Heidi pored over the pamphlet with interest. “There's supposedly a large centerpiece to the whole exhibit that they're going to announce. You always loved puzzles and mysteries as a child, so I thought that you might be interested in this as well.” Heidi looked up at that, noting some worry in her mother's face and immediately understood. Her child had been gone for so long, it was clear that she hoped that in some ways, Heidi hadn't changed that much from her little girl of long ago.

“Thanks, Mom,” said Heidi, with another smile. “I'd love to go.” It was three days from now, which meant that she still had plenty of time for catching up before the event.

---

Present Day, Nacrene City

After much catching up and a train ticket afterwards, Heidi made sure to be at Nacrene Museum around the time that was stated on the pamphlet for the unveiling. She noted that there were far more people there than she had originally expected... As such, she only managed to get into the back of the crowd, peering over shoulders at Lenora and Hawes. Finally, when it was time for the unveiling, Heidi listened attentively to Lenora's description, noting the different locations that the people of ancient past seemed to have revered in some way.

Immediately, the young woman pulled out her old notebook and made some rough sketches. Heidi started trying to connect the dots in her own mind. Moon, Sun, Cloud, Star... These are all things that could be seen in the skies, but what other significance could they have? Those types of thoughts held her focus for the most part, though she was definitely intrigued to get a closer look at the slab when the crowd died down a bit. As such, she milled around to look at the rest of the exhibit, thoroughly intrigued by the history laden within.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
Yesterday, Driftveil City

‘Tristan,
Got called on classified police business. Likely won’t be back for some time. Apologies for the short notice. Try not to destroy the building while I’m gone.
– Sharpe’

“You still eyeballing that note? Jeez, kid, I told ya once, there’s nothin’ more to it!”

Lightly jumping from his seat with a startled wince, the young man draped in multiple layers of green, from his longcoat and hat, to his shirt and cargo slacks, with only his black and brown shoes breaking the monochrome, rested his head in his palms as the fellow suddenly standing beside him chuckled in devious amusement.

“You’ve got to stop doing that, Noboru…” Tristan muttered as he lifted his head to glare up at the peculiarly translucent man who’d decided to arrive on the scene by phasing through the very desk from which he’d been reading the aforementioned note. Noboru Satou had always preferred a particular balance of flashy and professional fashion when he was still alive, and he’d worked adamantly to bring that style back in the one illusionary form he’d managed to conjure up for himself. On one hand, the beige jacket, matching pants and black leather shoes were all quite business-oriented, whereas the flashy red shirt, sport-shades and spiky hair definitely stood in stark contrast… and of course, the whole semi-transparent thing stood out, not to mention that unfortunate lingering odor of the car-exhaust fumes that had played no small part in his present spectral existence in the first place. Gastlies weren’t the sort to win any prizes for best aroma.

“Ah, come on, don’t be such a killjoy!” Noboru quipped. “I’d have thought you would’a gotten used to how I move about by now, yet here you are, lookin’ like you’ve seen a ghost!”

“…You are a ghost…” Tristan replied rather candidly.

“An unfamiliar ghost then. You know what I mean!” Noboru answered back with a shrug.

“Yeah, yeah… well look, this last year’s been… a lot, okay? I’m sure it’s nothing but it just seems weird for officer Sharpe to suddenly just have to bolt like that… Especially after he’d been specifically tasked with making sure I didn’t get into any more trouble… ” Tristan said, leaning back against his chair and rubbing his eyes. The truth was he would’ve looked just as distressed had Noboru decided not to startle him at that very moment. Even while completely relaxed and in good spirits he still looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks. Just an after-effect of all the phantasmal incidents he’d come off of dealing with, a series of spectral events that left him with an apartment full of particularly… quirky… ghost Pokemon… plus one derpy water fish… the likes of which was soon waddling onto the scene, Tristan giving the amphibious Pokemon a few pats on the head, and subsequently wiping the slime against his pant-leg.

“Hey, trust me, I ain’t exactly living it up myself… pardon the pun… but man, that’s why we need to get out there and do something! Ol’ officer Wayland’s been a stick in the mud, but now he’s away. Maybe for a while! We ought to take advantage of that! Unova’s a big region, kid, imagine what kinda weird stuff we might stumble upon!”

“I think I’ve had my fill of ‘weird stuff’ for a few decades…” Tristan grumbled in response.

“Oh, come off it! You and I both know that’s a load of bunk. You can’t resist a good mystery. You’re like a Venomoth to a flame with that crap.”

As Noboru spoke, Tristan heard a light thud against the table, leaning forward to see a notepad with the words “is he bothering you?” scribbled on it. Floating close by was the Phantump who’d written the message, arms crossed at he stared thoroughly unamused at the disguised Gastly.

“Nah, it’s fine, Denis… He’s just being his usual self… and much as I hate to admit it, he has a point…” Tristan said. “You know how it is with us… It’s like it’s in our blood or something… but that doesn’t mean much if there isn’t anything going on, does it?” he turned back to Noboru at that, who’d suddenly had quite the smirk on his face.

“That’s where you’re oh so wrong, kid.” At that, a single slip of paper floated into view, landing on the desk beside Wayland’s note. “Take a gander at that and tell me with a straight face that your interest isn’t the least bit piqued.”

Grabbing the pamphlet, he started to read over its contents while Denis instinctively drifted closer to get a better look for himself.

“Grand Opening of Ancient Unova… Nacrene Museum… June 12th… That’s tomorrow isn’t it?”

“Yep, so, what’s it gonna be? You gonna just lounge around here aimlessly for another few weeks, or are we gonna get out there and see what this is all about?” Noboru asked.

The two brothers eyed each other, then the pamphlet, then back to each other again. They both knew which decision they’d already landed on.

Present Day

“You sure it was alright leaving the others to look after the place?” Denis had asked via his notepad as Tristan sat in the midst of an absurdly crowded Nacrene Museum. The Phantump and a still-disguised Noboru were taking the two seats beside him whilst Quagsire happily sat by his feet, all while a rather eloquently fashioned sword with a pellucid blue sash and a glowing eye at its rain-guard leaned against the chair Denis had only partially taken with his rather small size.

“I’m sure they’ll be fine. Sargasso and Emily won’t let Duke wreck up the place,” Tristan said reassuringly, though the Honedge beside him seemed to voice some degree of concern.

“Ah, calm down, Dragonder,” Noboru said. “They can go without your constant watch for a little while.”

This remark earned him a pretty harsh glare from the Honedge, though she nonetheless relented, not wishing to cause a scene in such a mass gathering.

“They’ll manage, I’m sure,” Tristan said, as to try and be more genuinely convincing about it than the Gastly. “Besides I needed you to come along to keep this bunch of ruffians in order.” This managed to earn a bit of a chuckle from the haunted blade, or at least what Tristan could assume was such.

Having suspected that this event might be quite the room-filler, the team had made it a point to arrive as early as possible, though even then the seats nearest to the exhibit had been filled well in advance. Still, they were able to get a good view of the slate as it was unveiled by the local gym leader. He’d heard of this Lenora, an archeologist at the top of her craft, with such a reputation in the field that her gym leader status almost seemed secondary to anyone who wasn’t specifically a league-faring trainer. The fact that this discovery seemed to excite her to such an extent was evidence in itself that this was quite the find.

Denis was making sure to write down as much of her presentation as possible in his notepad for the group to reference later; Dragonder seemed most keenly interested in how the events tied to the slab’s creation seemed to take place thousands of years prior; even Noboru seemed to actually have some interest in the part regarding the four locations specifically marked with special crests. Tristan of course was paying close attention all throughout, though in the back of his mind he was already beginning to plan out what he could possibly do with the information being presented to them. An ancient map of Unova with mysterious crests in four specific locations… Perhaps that warranted a search in those locations… but he’d need to get a little more info before just barging off to see for himself.

Once Lenora finished her speech and the crowd gradually dispersed, Tristan and his team steadily made their way forward to get as close a look at the featured relic as possible. Taking out a magnifying glass from one of his jacket pockets, he began peering over the ancient map.

“Cloud, star, crescent moon, sun… All things one might find in the sky… but… there must be more to it than that… Noboru, you’re a worldly sort, what do you know about these four towers?”

“Ah… not much more than what you heard the lady say earlier I’m afraid. Celestial Tower’s kind of a giant memorial building. Folks compare it to the old Pokemon Tower back in Kanto, y’know… before the renovations at least. As for the Relic Castle, it’s in the middle of a desert… I think it’s been popular for archeologist-types, but it’s got a reputation as something of a big sandy maze. The other two towers are just giant question marks. Dragon Spiral is too far out of the way for most people, and I guess it’s too cryptic for the more dedicated bunch to figure anything out about it historically… As for the Abyssal Ruins? The whole ‘being underwater’ thing tends to make long-term investigations a challenge there.”

Tristan nodded along to all this as he looked over Denis’ notes with one hand, and kept inspecting the slab with his magnifying glass in the other. There was definitely something here… something about those crests and the ancient structures they represented… If only he could find something everyone else may have missed…

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
12 hours ago

In a subway car travelling along the Unova Transit Authority's Orange Line, there was a young woman reading a book.

This was hardly a noteworthy occurrence on the grand scheme of things - after all, many people of many kinds rode the subway daily, all around the clock, and no small number of these travelling souls took to the written word to while away the time on longer journeys. But to Talia Levine, the young woman in question, this was a different story altogether. She may not have been a stranger to the subway, but this was has first time taking that particular line, and her first visit to her would-be destination in the five or so years she's been living in Unova. Nacrene was practically on the other side of the region from Opelucid, and exploring that far has not been on her agenda all this time for... reasons... But the Ancient Unova exhibition that was due to open the next morning seemed like it was going to be fascinating, and since she was already going there and Nacrene was also a gym city, she may as well use it as a starting point for a proper journey through this region, no? Well, at least, that's what she told herself by ways of motivating herself to actually do the thing and finally chase the journey dream she contemplated before her family moved here and everything became rather.. daunting.

To be absolutely honest with herself, she was largely reading to soothe her nerves rather than to pass the time. The book, Secret of the Lily, was one of her favourites, and she had read it more times than she'd have cared to admit. The familiarity helped ground her in the here and now and was... comforting. Like spending time with an old friend. Normally, she'd have had at least one of her Pokémon out with her for similar reasons, but her two partners - regional variants of their species from her distant home region - were likely to draw more attention than she cared to have at that particular moment. Still, she had one of her companions with her - after a fashion, anyway. The yet-unhatched Pokémon egg that she received from a Galarian breeder during one of her jaunts along the Battle Line was safely tucked in a small backpack-type incubator currently resting on the empty seat next to hers - a slumbering bundle of pure potential. What lay inside the egg was a complete mystery to her - the breeder only told her that it was a rare species from her homeland. Sometimes when she looked at the thing's shimmering blue surface, she couldn't help but wonder if she was even qualified to give it a good home so far away from its natural environment. Pokémon were adaptive creatures, true, but was she the best choice of caretaker for this manner of stranger in a strange land?

But then again, perhaps she could be, just because she knew that feeling. Five years living here, and Unova still didn't feel like home. That was part of the reason she finally decided to do this journey thing after all. Maybe if she became more familiar with the region beyond Opelucid, Nimbasa's Gear Station and the views that flickered through the windows of the Battle Line's cars, she would finally start feeling more at ease here. And that's why she brought the egg along with her, too - it may be that for the foreseeable future she'd spend most of her time on the road, but she took on this responsibility when she received the egg, and out in nature is where Pokémon belonged, wasn't it? It'd be a growing and learning experience for both of them - and between her, Raya and Anastasia, she would do her absolute darnedest to give her new companion all the support it needed. Hell, most people set out into the world with less than that and made it fine.

... I really should stop projecting my own insecurities on something that hasn't even hatched yet. We'll be fine. Despite everything.

Looking up from her book at the moment, she turned her gaze to one of the screens that lined the walls of the car to check the time. Screens were basically ubiquitous in Unova: they were nigh-impossible to avoid no matter where you went, and many screens in public venues - public transport, route gatehouses, Pokémon Centres, the works - were linked up to a public information network that continuously provided the date and time as well as news about current events, weather patterns and what have you, optimized per location. In the subway cars the same screen also provided line maps and information about current location and the next stop. Allegedly the train was now departing the jurisdiction of Castelia City and entering Skyarrow Bridge, the last leg of the trip before the train reached her stop - which was a good thing given how late it was getting. The subway may have made the journey from Opelucid to Nacrene a matter of hours rather than weeks - but as the exhibition was set to open at 10 AM, she thought it wiser to make her way to Nacrene the night before and crash at the local Pokémon Center or something rather than wake up before the Pidoves do, take an early morning train and spend the rest of the day being a zombie - not exactly a conducive state for enjoying the exhibition or starting a journey. As it stood, if the thing was going to arrive in Nacrene when it said it did, she'd have the time to get a decent night's sleep and not need to rush too much in the morning.

Talia Levine went back to her book. Might as well finish this chapter while she still had the chance.

Present Day

The alarm she set woke her up at 8 AM - plenty of time to get herself organized, fed and make her way to the Museum before the entire region and its Stoutland beat her to it. When she finally made it to the actual museum, only half of the region and maybe its Herdier were there, and that was quite enough for her. She managed to somehow secure a fairly decent vantage point and waited.

The grand opening itself was quite impressive - though her immediate internal reaction to the main exhibit was simply "Oh My God, a Giant Rock". It was not just any Giant Rock, however - it was apparently a map of Unova circa 2,500 years ago, when the local warring city-states of the region allegedly united under two mythical heroes and their equally-mythical dragon of which no single depiction remained to this day. The lines where history and legend blurred were always a point of great interest for Talia - and the contradictions in particular. Most often these weren't true contradictions but simply varying perspectives - and equally as often these contradictions emerged due to human interests and massaging of the truth to fit a certain narrative. But there were some particular points in history where reality itself actually blinked - usually due to Pokémon activity - and that was where things truly got interesting. Maybe something like the Original Dragon's shattering - assuming it actually happened and wasn't an overly mythologised depiction of true events - left such a profound impact that it even affected any symbolic renditions of the creature? Or maybe she had just read too many fantasy novels. Either way, that was neither here nor there. Lenora - the local gym leader, museum curator and evidently, massive archaeology nerd - delivered a lecture about the landmarks noted on the map, some of which lingered in some form to this day. As for the symbols specifically used - the sun, the moon, a cloud and a star - this probably had some hidden meaning, but without a bit of context, she was mostly in the dark. Maybe something else would provide that context. Then again, maybe not. Sometimes a Giant Rock is just a Giant Rock.

She fished out her phone from a jacket pocket and took several photos of the aforementioned Giant Rock for future reference, then proceeded to have a wander through the museum, taking in the sights. Part of her pondered challenging Lenora at some point during that day - but maybe once the excitement died down a bit. There were quite a few trainers in the crowd, after all, and the leader was likely to have her hands full.

More time to see what she's been missing out on all these years.