• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

S.T.A.B.-Only Tournament - Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
STABONLY_zpsxjjjehjw.png

(Get it? Sword? Stab? Whatever.)

As voted by yourselves, our annual winter tournament will be a standard 6vs6 tournament with a pretty significant twist: Pokemon are only allowed to use moves that they share a type with. For example, Blastoise can only use Water-type moves, and Lucario can only use Fighting and Steel-type moves. This also applies to non-damaging moves such as Swords Dance, so if you planned on using Swords Dance on the aforementioned Lucario for this tournament, think again - Swords Dance is a Normal-type move.

That's the basic theme of the tournament, and now for the more in-depth rules. The following Pokemon are banned from use:

- Mewtwo
- Ho-Oh
- Lugia
- Kyogre
- Groudon
- Rayquaza
- Deoxys (all formes)
- Dialga
- Palkia
- Giratina (all formes)
- Darkrai
- Shaymin (Sky Forme)
- Arceus
- Reshiram
- Zekrom
- Kyurem (all formes)
- Xerneas
- Yveltal

The following items are banned from use:

- Soul Dew
- Gengarite

The following moves are banned from use:

- Double Team/Minimize
- Fissure/Sheer Cold/Guillotine/Horn Drill
- Weather Ball

The following ability is banned from use:

- Moody

Also the following clauses are in effect:

- Sleep Clause: Only one Pokemon can be put to sleep on the opposing team at once. Self-induced sleep from Rest or randomly-inflicted sleep from Effect Spore isn't counted under this.
- Fair Play Clause: If both players have one Pokemon left and a Pokemon uses a move that ensures both Pokemon faint, the user of that move loses the match. Fainting from recoil from a move, item or ability doesn't count towards this.
- Species Clause: No two Pokemon on a team can share the same National Pokedex number.

And there are specific rules for this tournament regarding Pokemon that can change their type and abilities that change the type of certain moves:

- If a Pokemon would gain STAB on a Normal-type move through the effects of Refridgerate, Aerilate or Pixilate, it is allowed to use that move. However, if the Pokemon would need to gain this ability through a Mega Evolution or any other means first, using the Normal-type move deliberately without the ability active will result in the user of this Pokemon losing the match immediately.

- If a Pokemon would change its typing through a forme change or Mega Evolution, it is permitted to use moves that match its new type combination, but can no longer use any moves it used to have STAB on in its previous form without changing back. For example, Altaria can use Flying and Dragon-type moves, while Mega Altaria can use Fairy, Dragon and Normal-type (thanks to Pixilate turning them Fairy-type) but can no longer use Flying-type moves as it loses its Flying-type upon Mega Evolution. Similarly, Meloetta can use Normal and Psychic-type moves in its Aria Forme, but if it changes to Pirouette Forme it can no longer use Psychic-type moves until it changes back to Aria Forme, instead gaining the ability to use Fighting-type moves that would be illegal to use in Aria Forme.

- Outside of these circumstances, Pokemon are only allowed to use moves that are the same type as their original type combination. For example, Greninja using Protean to change its typing is still restricted to Water and Dark-type moves regardless of what type it changes into, same applies to Pokemon using moves like Camouflage and Conversion to change their own type, and using Soak on an enemy Pokemon doesn't affect what moves it is allowed to use.

Probably a bit confusing, but if you have any questions that's what this topic is for.

Of course, this topic is also for signups, and you have until January 16th 2016 to get your signups in and your teams prepared. All you have to do to signup is post in this topic saying you wish to compete, and you're in.

All battles will take place on Pokemon Showdown, the link to which is here:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/

Also please note that once the deadline has been reached, if you have signed up by that point your signup is effectively "locked in." Dropping out after that deadline once you sign up without a good reason will make you ineligible to compete in future tournaments, so keep this in mind.

I think that's everything, signups away:

- Psycho Monkey
- Zealous_Zenith
- Shocari
- Ruko
- Dwayna Dragonfire
- Magos Amphrose

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Sky Forme Shaymin has been added to the list of Pokemon banned from use, on the grounds that I forgot it existed when I first made this topic.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Thought I posted in this days ago, but apparently didn't.

Of course I'm up for this :)

Before I say yes, is this going to be a specific time that I must be there on the 16th, and, if so, is it in the afternoon? I have a project that day.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
No, the 16th is simply when the signups end. The first round matches will go up about 24 hours after that and then there's approximately 2 weeks to get your match done until the next round follows.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Signups will be over in approximately 12 hours.

If you still wish to take part and haven't signed up yet, now's your last chance to do so.

For everyone else here who has signed up, first round matchups will be put up tomorrow.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Showdown is a battle simulator that lets players make their teams and battle each other from their PCs or whatever you are running Showdown on. Effectively it serves as a quick and easy way to make a team and start battling right away.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Signups are now over. First-round matchups will be up later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.