• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Shuzo - A Paragons Story

Wanna try something. A little writing, perhaps. Maybe a wee bit of typing, here and there. A fragment of fabrication, if you will. An iota of imagination, if you so choose.

A modicum of make-believe......

But madness in the morbillions.

- - -

This thread will be your one-way ticket into the tale of a tragic hero. First, a child, thrust into a worldwide anomaly when all he wanted to be was normal. Then, a street-level vigilante, flung into the utmost depths of extraordinary, cosmic horror, incapable of doing anything but watch as he lost everything he had, and everything he was.

Not bad so far, right?

To the absolute homies with whom I've had the pleasure of building the world of the Paragons, you may ask, "Is this the edgy electric ninja you wrote about in Acts 1 and 2, or the rebooted but still edgy electric ninja you're currently milking for easy RP content due to a supreme lack of originality?" First, ow, but second, this will indeed be created using the first iteration of Shuzo Takeshi in the Paragons universe, with some things tweaked and improved here and there. There were a lot of fun concepts I thought of in the shower at 2 AM across the duration of both threads, and if you, kind reader, would so permit, I would love to share them with you.

I will also preemptively issue a Content Warning here: there will be blood, violence, a bit more blood, and some mature subjects. Please read at your own discretion.

I don't expect to make consistent installations to this work as I progress, as I do have my own personal life along with usual highs and lows, and I do not recommend you do so either, should you choose to give my hand at solo writing a shot. However, I do believe with substantial certainty that I have a great deal of passion for this character I've enjoyed writing with so far, so hopefully that carries me far enough and shows in what I have to offer. If you like it, feel free to let me know on my profile page! If you absolutely hate it and think I should never touch a keyboard or the Pokecharms website ever again, feel free to let me know on my profile page! I'll always be grateful for any kind of feedback.

So without further ado, this is the story of Shuzo Takeshi. I hope you can come along with me for the ride, and I'll do my darnedest to give you all something I'm proud of in return.

See ya around o7

Entry No. 1: The Redundant Illusion of a New Beginning

His head was pounding. Throbbing impacts that panged at his skull several times a second. The deafening, grating cacophony of unholy shrieks and screams, adding to the chaos that now ran ablaze around him. Despite all efforts he made to push through the absolute pandemonium that now plagued this world, he could feel his willpower being sapped away, the weak but resilient light in his eyes finally beginning to fade as his irises succumbed to a hollow void. Utterly drained of hope within minutes, he resigned himself to his fate, falling wretched victim to the ravages of the most intense warzone of his life…

…But a warzone he entered every Monday through Friday.

“MISTER BUS DRIVER SIRRRR, JENNIFER’S TRYING TO DRAW HEARTS AND KISSY FACES ALL OVER MY ARRRRRM!!!”

“SERVES YOU RIGHT, MARK! MAYBE NOW YOU WON’T DRAW PRIVATE PARTS ALL OVER MY PENCIL BAG WITH SHARPIE DURING CLASS!”

Shuzo could feel the screech of every single word run a battering ram past his eardrums and directly into his brain. In a foolish attempt to obtain a crumb of respite, he closed his eyes and leaned his head against the window of the yellow, mobile warzone, though he quickly felt the palpable weight of his failure, vibrating against the side of his head and slamming into his skull with each bump and pothole the vehicle passed.

Quickly opening his eyes and opting to instead fall straight back against the stale, worn boulders that could barely pass as the passenger seats of a school bus, Shuzo stared blankly at the ceiling above with a quiet, exasperated sigh and plugged his violated ears with his fingers. As the world around him and all its discord finally began to subside, he closed his eyes once again and sank as far into his seat as he could. Soon, it was quiet--Shuzo was alone… and he was at peace.

- - -

“So, what did you learn today? Anything interesting?”

Shuzo trudged along the sidewalk, shoes scraping against the concrete as he kicked around an acorn with each step. His mother followed closely in tow, backpack slung loosely around her shoulder as she inquired of his day with a gentle smile.

“Nothing much,” the boy responded nonchalantly, his gaze fixated on the ground and the nut with which he dribbled, until one sudden misstep sent it rolling off to the side and over the curb. Watching as the acorn rolled away, Shuzo’s demeanor remained monotonous as he stared for a few seconds before returning his attention to the sidewalk before him. “But... I did realize that U.S. History will always be boring in every school.”

“I suppose it will,” Kumiko Takeshi concurred with a laugh. “You know, I…” She’d planned to continue with an anecdote of her own, but her voice faded when she looked down and noticed the somber clouds in her son’s gray irises. Shuzo visibly swallowed back a lump in his throat as he stared straight down at the sidewalk below, but when he spoke up again, he was unable to prevent his voice from breaking.

"The bus will always be loud. No one will ever pay attention to the new kid during group work, lunch, or gym. I'll... I'll always be alone."

After a few seconds of heavy silence followed, Kumiko stifled a sigh before approaching Shuzo from behind, resting one hand on his shoulder and another on his head to stroke his hair.

“I understand; I’m sorry for how hard it’s been. After all, we’ve only been here for a week and a half. All the moving, having to say goodbye to friends and places you only had for a few days. Couldn’t stop anywhere but too overwhelmed to take another step. And it affects you in a different way than it could for me or your dad.”

Suddenly coming to a halt, Kumiko placed her hands on both of Shuzo’s shoulders before turning him around and gazing into his eyes, which had now begun to ever so slightly water. She reached out with delicate hands to gently wipe the tears that struggled to fall, a warm, comforting smile lacing her lips as she clasped her son’s face.

“But you will never struggle on your own. That I can promise you with absolute certainty. You have me, you have your father. You are our incredibly bright son who hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential. And you will always be surrounded by people who can help you reach that potential. No matter where we go, that will never change. Your father and I are so proud of you for everything you've accomplished so far, and we always will be.”

Planting a tender kiss onto Shuzo’s forehead, Kumiko then ran her hand through his hair once again as she continued, a smirk slowly beginning to replace her previous smile.

“Now... How about we get your things home, then pay Dad a surprise visit at the lab and see what he’s working on this week?”

Upon his mother’s suggestion, Shuzo’s gloomy disposition began to subside, as a smile slowly tugged at his corners and the haze in his eyes gradually cleared. Though his mood had seemed to lighten, a melancholy emptiness subtly weighed down his core. One couldn't help but feel numb when they heard the same, encouraging words in every repeated hardship, words that grew more and more hollow every time they were spoken.

Regardless, this thought in the back of Shuzo's mind did not reach Kumiko, who pulled him into a brief but tight hug, finally pulling away before the two continued to walk back home. And unbeknownst to them, the low, quiet rumble of thunder sounded through the azure, afternoon sky, several miles away.

Last edited:
Entry No. 2: Awoken From Reality

...Wake up.

“Hey, come here for a sec! You don’t wanna miss this.”

Shuzo jumped ever so slightly in surprise, abruptly dragged out of his bed and, in his bewilderment, easily succumbing to the familiar, insistent voice that had suddenly pierced through the serenity of his room. His vision was suddenly obscured by a hand—coarse, but warm and gentle—covering his eyes as the hand on his wrist continued to drag him through the house, and when he’d finally registered what was going on, the theatricality and urgency of it all prompted a wry chuckle out of him.

“You know, you’ve said this every single time you wanted to show me something, and you’re 0 for at least 30. Sure you haven’t lost your edge, Dad?”

“Yeah okay, laugh while you can, kid, but this’ll seriously be something wicked, just trust me. Now close your eyes.”

With yet another sigh, Shuzo responded with nothing more than a shrug as he continued to be led down the stairs, through the halls, around the corners, and from his knowledge of the house blueprints, he was soon able to infer their grand destination, the location to which his father had been so urgent in taking him…

The living room.

“Dad… this is the living room.”

“And what about it? Keep those eyes closed.”

Shuzo continued to oblige, though he stayed alert and attentive to his surroundings, hoping to gather a better sense for what was going on that was so important. There was no light from the ceiling’s incandescent bulbs that attempted to peek through his closed eyelids, though last he’d checked, it was about 8:30 PM, which was around time for the sun to set. A brief moment of hushed whispering, likely between his parents, and several clicks of a lighter, soon followed by more audible, agitated grumbles from his father. When the commotion seemed to finally settle, Shuzo heard his father speak once more.

“Alright, now go ahead and open your eyes.”

Already expecting disappointment, Shuzo mockingly took a deep breath in anticipation and opened his eyes.

Wake up.

"Oookay, let's see what—"

“誕生日おめでとう!Happy birthday, Shuzo!”

The lights flicked back on, revealing to Shuzo balloons, multicolored banners, and more, and all the possible elements of a party adorned the usually bland living room as the world around him returned to his vision. Though his initial excitement had been fake, the scene before his now widened eyes presented a genuine surprise. His parents wore party hats to further add to the cringe factor, and though Shuzo was unable to stifle a laugh about it all when he finally processed everything, he also couldn’t ignore the genuine warmth it brought him, prompting a smile from him in kind.

“What, you thought I was gonna show you another project of mine, weren’t you?” Masao Takeshi teased, ruffling Shuzo’s hair with a hearty laugh.

“Well, given how persistent you were to always show me what you were working on, yeah,” Shuzo retorted, attempting to fight his father’s hand away from his head to no avail. As previously iterated, he’d been made the unwilling test-driver for many a new engineering venture, a large percentage of which had failed to garner Shuzo’s interest.

Regardless, his father continued to laugh as his mother brought out a box from the fridge. She set it down onto the dinner table before opening it and revealing the contents inside, and both Masao and Shuzo soon joined her to see what it was.

Inside the box was a fruit tart—a thin, flaky crust, the inside of which was filled with a smooth, light pastry cream, and topped with vibrant, fresh berries, mandarin wedges, and kiwi slices. Shuzo’s eyes brightened up immediately, shining with as much radiance as the light reflecting off of the glistening fruit; this dessert item in particular had always been his sweet spot, having enjoyed the treat many times throughout his early life in Tokyo.

Wake up.

Not wasting any more time, Kumiko brandished a cake knife before carefully cutting into the tart to produce 3 small, equal slices onto their own plates. With portions situated, she then returned the pastry to the fridge and joined Masao and Shuzo at the table.

“You know, your brother loved fruit tarts too when he was your age; he’d be so jealous if he saw us,” Kumiko remarked with a chuckle, and Shuzo reacted similarly, albeit slightly more muted. His older brother had moved out when he was young, having desired to explore the world and discover what he wanted to do, according to his parents. Shuzo hoped he was doing well for himself… that was, if he was even still alive. One would assume that even during his travels around the planet, he’d still at least make an effort to stay in touch with family.

“Well, alas, the V.I.P. of today is none other than Shuzo Takeshi, so your brother can wait,” Masao interjected with a smile, holding up a glass he’d just filled with wine as if to make a toast. Kumiko held up her own glass of water as well, and though Shuzo was only thinking about digging into the fruit tart before him as soon as possible, he swallowed back an annoyed sigh and waited for his father to speak.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make it short. But, Shuzo… in all my life as an engineer, all of the projects I’ve worked on, the things I’ve made… you are, without a doubt, one of my and your mother’s greatest works. It has been nothing short of an absolute joy to be your father through thick and thin, and no matter where my job takes our family, no matter where we go on this planet, we will always be so proud of you. Tonight belongs to you—happy birthday.”

Wake up.

Despite the cheesy words that would normally make him wince, Shuzo allowed a genuine smile to lace his lips, and gave his father a nod of gratitude. His mother kissed the top of his head and wrapped him in a gentle hug from behind, squeezing for a few seconds before releasing her hold and returning to her seat. Finally provided an opportunity to dig into the slice of fruit tart before him, Shuzo quickly cut through the pastry with his fork to procure a piece. His mouth watered as he stared at the fresh, glazed fruit, and as he put the piece in his mouth, he bit down with his teeth, more than prepared for the lusciousness to grace his tongue…

…Only to sink his teeth into what felt like concrete and dust.

Instead of the delicate sweetness and buttery smoothness he’d expected, his mouth was instead filled with a chalky texture, and Shuzo felt a piercing sensation in his gums, immediately spitting up what he possibly could have bitten into. He looked down onto his plate to find… not the slice of fruit tart that had first been there, but chunks of concrete, smeared with blood, and the sanguine fluid also dripped from Shuzo’s head, as his hand now revealed to him when he gingerly touched it to his lips and temple.

“Wait, what? What just happened—”

Suddenly, Shuzo’s world was overcome with an intense wave of vertigo, warping and bending his vision and throwing his senses into disarray. His confused words, abruptly cut short by the attack on his perception, seemed muffled, echoing only in his own head. So tumultuous were the waves of disorientation, that despite his best efforts to return to what he believed to be reality, Shuzo could do nothing more than fall out of his chair and crumple to the ground. However, as he persisted and forced himself up with a pained grunt, his struggles were interrupted as a voice filled the air, deep and resonant, booming throughout the room and rumbling in his ears.

Wake up.

“W-What?” Shuzo felt himself ask, though he couldn’t tell whether or not he was even truly speaking. He barely swallowed back a retch that crawled from his stomach as the vertigo continued to overcome him, but the voice that had easily cut through the chaos continued, its words powerfully reverberating.

Your day of rebirth has come—pray it does not go to waste. Now… WAKE UP.

Straining against his blurry, warped vision, Shuzo desperately searched the room for his parents. Surely they were feeling the same thing. And if they weren’t, they’d help him. They’d comfort him, tell him everything was okay.

When he was finally able to make out the outline of his parents, still sitting at the table as they’d been, however, Shuzo saw in their eyes… nothing. No confusion, nor fear. No comfort, nor sympathy. Remaining motionless, Masao and Kumiko Takeshi returned their son’s pained gaze with naught but monotonous, hollow stares. Why weren’t they helping? They were just… sitting there, as if they were dead in their seats. Shuzo called desperately for his parents’ help, but to no visible avail—his own voice remained faded and muffled in his ears.

A thunderous crash suddenly resounded, seemingly outside of the house, and despite the disorientation that was already exceeding Shuzo’s limits, he turned to the closest window to see what could possibly be going on outside. A minuscule part of the little brain matter he could still feel prayed to see something even remotely normal, but alas, the scene before his eyes was far from realistic, yet within the realm of his current expectations.

Peals of lightning and thunder boomed left and right, but the sky seemed clear of rain and clouds. The sun, which had last been seen in the process of setting, was no longer anywhere in sight, but nor were the countless stars that speckled the typical night sky. Speaking of the sky, there was no longer any hue of azure, indigo, or black visible above, but rather, an unnatural scarlet, bleeding across the depths of space like a dense fog. A similar crimson color tinted the bolts of lightning that arced through the sanguine atmosphere, branching out from what seemed like nothing, no clouds in sight to naturally produce such powerful blasts.

There is no time. Shuzo Takeshi, you must wake up. Wake up, and fulfill your new destiny.

Amidst the chaos raging around Shuzo, his disarray was only exacerbated. His breathing grew bated, waves of lightheadedness surging through his brain without remorse. The deep, echoing voice continued to rumble within his skull, repeating its heraldic tidings and urges with a near desperation to its tone. Unable to contain the pandemonium racking his entire being, Shuzo once again fell to the ground, but as soon as he attempted to resign himself to however long this madness lasted, an ear-splitting crash sounded directly above him.

Straining his neck to tilt his head upward, Shuzo looked up to see the ceiling, now scored with deep fissures that continued to branch throughout the drywall, from which radiated a deep, red glow, pulsating with every crash of thunder that rang outside. The room shook around him, the walls crumbling as cracks emerged from the sides of the house as well, the chasms of which also emanated with a radiant, scarlet hue.

The light beaming from the fissures seemed to grow in luster and intensity, and amidst the overwhelming havoc that was wrought upon his senses, Shuzo began to feel a prickling energy fill the area, coursing across his body and through his nerves, almost akin to static. Streaks of lightning began to crackle throughout the house, forcing their way through the illuminated breaches in the drywall all around him.

Finally, as if marking the grand finale of the utter assault on Shuzo’s entire world, one last crash of lightning and thunder rang out, immeasurably more powerful and fierce then any such peal that preceded it. Shuzo looked up one last time to see the ceiling above him give way, and the last thing he saw was a massive blast of crimson lightning hurtle directly toward him, allowing no time to brace himself.

The impact reverberated throughout every single one of Shuzo’s cells as he was enveloped by the bolt of electricity, coursing through his body and dancing in his eyes. The blast had even caused his body to unnaturally straighten up, stretching his arms and legs outward to their limit, and even abruptly lift him into the air, helpless to do anything but float as his being was continuously bombarded by the discharge of lightning.

Suddenly, a flash of blinding red filled his vision.

Shortly after, a brief gleam of lustrous silver.

Then, his world went pitch black.

Entry No. 3: The True Beginning

W.. ke... p.....

Shuzo slowly came to, a shrill drone piercing his ears. Waves of pain overcame his neurons as he struggled to process his condition, and his mind surged with confusion and panic as his senses slowly began to return. Where was he? What had happened? It was his birthday…

And…

D... o.. r.. irth...

A pulsating sting tore through his skull as he regained consciousness, his disarray almost crippling as he struggled to make sense of reality. Was it his birthday? He’d left home after school, arriving at his father’s lab to pay him a visit, but his birthday was on the 9th of January. Was the celebration a dream? Was this a dream? Whatever the case, the only thought Shuzo could hope to formulate was a tumultuous desperation to simply wake up.

Pr.. y... t.. d..es... no.. go.. t... wa... e....

He felt suffocated. Trapped underneath concrete and steel, he was pinned to the ground at his leg, the rest of his body buried in the rubble. A gash in the side of his head, flaring to life with an intense, stinging sensation upon every speck of dust and drop of sweat, blood from the wound now dried and crusted after dripping down his face. Shuzo felt the strain of his body struggling to make any sort of movement, the aching that tore through any of his limbs that dared to even budge. Pushing forward regardless, he forced his way through the searing pain and drove his body upward, feeling the debris begin to give way.

Fu.. il... o.. r... ne.... est... i... y.....

His tongue found only dust and blood. His throat was parched, finding no respite even in the minuscule amount of saliva his mouth could produce. The corners of his lips cracked with every movement, weeping with sanguine fluid, and in a desperate bid to alleviate his dehydration, Shuzo gingerly used his tongue to lap up and ingest the blood that trickled from both the outside and inside of his mouth, tasting the warm, metallic liquid against his parched oral cavity.

Fulf.. l... y.. ur.... new... estiny.....

His entire world was muffled. His own trembling breaths and the whimpers and stifled sobs that escaped his mouth echoed faintly through hollow ears, only feeling the bass rumble around him as dust and debris fell and crumbled. He couldn’t even hear himself call for his parents when he finally freed himself from the rubble—he could only feel his throat scratch as he screamed and cried out for someone to help. When his hearing finally returned—slowly, gradually—albeit his still blurry vision, his world came to a modicum of focus. The screech of blaring sirens welcomed his waking ears, growing in volume and intensity as he reoriented to further exacerbate the chaos around him. However, aside from the shrill, digital clamor, Shuzo was soon made aware of something even more deafening…

Silence.

Amidst the ear-splitting sirens and crashing of debris, his ears searched desperately for a certain noise; it didn’t matter how, he just needed to hear it. However, to his dismay, not even one sound of a human voice, no crying, screaming, or wailing, reached him. Looking around frantically through blurry, watery eyes, he listened, prayed to hear at least the faintest sound of his parents’ voice. Surely they’d look for him. Surely they’d call his name, turn the corner, see him standing in the rubble and run to him.

Surely…

His vision began to clear, the world around him finally visible in its entirety.

“...Oh, God.”

Not even his arid throat was exempt from the two simple, yet crushing words that barely escaped his mouth in his utter shock, as Shuzo took in the scene before him. His eyes went hollow, and his body tensed up, standing with bated breath as he struggled to process the destruction that had truly been wrought. What awaited him could be described as nothing less than carnage: bodies and limbs lay strewn across the corridors, blood splattered along the walls and pooling on the floor. Lifeless eyes stared back at him, skulls caved in by fallen concrete, appendages and organs torn asunder. The air was filled with the stench of scorched blood and singed flesh, prompting a wave of nausea through which he cowered, holding back the vomit crawling up his throat with all he had.

Suddenly, the sirens were abruptly silenced, leaving him in an eerie quiet as he struggled to stand, his legs buckling below him. This was a dream. It had to be. Whether or not it was his birthday, whether or not he was at his father’s lab, this wasn’t real. His breathing grew fast, heavy, his heart pounding against his chest, the full weight of his panic nearly flattening him against the ground. Looking around, he saw the faces around him—at least, the faces that remained intact—scanning their features through strained eyes. Please, please, Shuzo fervently begged any god who bothered to listen that he wouldn’t recognize his parents’ colorless visages among the corpses around him. A few, tense moments of apprehensive investigation passed until a quiet, choked up sob of relief slipped out when he failed to put his parents’ faces to the remains. They were alive! He’d hear them soon, see them again, hold on to them without the worry of being separated once more. He would—

Suddenly, the debris below him caved slightly, causing him to stumble for a brief moment, and as he stepped back to maintain his balance, his optimism was abruptly cut short when he felt something brush against his leg. Not the same chunks of concrete that trapped him, nor the protruding rebar that cut through him. It was softer, and though it was likely coated in dust and dried blood, he knew the feeling immediately, and an ominous lump once again found its way in his throat as he turned to identify the cause.

It felt like human skin.

Shuzo looked down, the pit of unease growing heavier as he investigated, feeling a crippling worriedness for what he might find, and sure enough, he was unable to stifle a sudden gasp of shock when he finally saw it. A hand protruded from within the rubble, fingers seemingly once outstretched but now limp, feebly reaching outward. Staring at the limb, he desperately wanted to identify it as just another corpse, which of course was already harrowing enough in its own right, but as long as it wasn’t either of his parents, all hope was not yet lost. As long as he knew they weren’t dead, things were still…

…He recognized that ring.

The silver band that wrapped around the fourth finger, adorned with a diamond, its luster persisting against the dust and blood. His breath hitched as soon as his eyes found the jewel, and he came to an abrupt, complete halt. The deep crimson in his irises glazed over, and his pupils lost their shine, conversely to the gemstone he stared at, as the world around him seemed to blur, leaving only the lifeless hand in crystal clarity. A wave of both numbness and dread washed over him, leaving him unable to choose between denial and despair as all of his childhood memories reared their head; he remembered it all, the good and bad, and through all of it, she was there with him. She’d always be there… no matter what…

“...Mom?”

His voice broke, cracking under the weight of crushing dread, but his body acted without thinking, crouching down and reaching with shaky hands as he slowly began to pull away the debris. It was all he could do not to falter, to maintain his loose grip as he attempted to dig through the stone with bloody fingers. He wasn’t sure whether or not he wanted to know who awaited him beneath the rubble… or maybe he already did and simply refused to acknowledge it. Regardless, Shuzo continued to dig, calling his mother’s name through gritted teeth and praying for an answer. It wasn’t long until that answer was soon revealed, staring back into his hollow eyes and freezing him in his tracks.

Upon pulling away the rubble, he was met with the glazed, lifeless eyes of Kumiko Takeshi, her cold body contorted and still. She’d evidently been crushed underneath the wreckage in the wake of the explosion, her last motion being a desperate reach for her son. Further parting of the debris revealed his father’s similar fate, his body similarly maimed and bloody, close beside that of his wife. The world around Shuzo blurred and faded as he stared at the corpses before him, unable to even hear himself breathe. His senses were awash with a wave of numbness, as his eyes only rested on what remained of his parents. He heard their voices begin to ring in his head, whispering the encouragements, the comforting words they always offered in times of hardship: what once eased his pain but now only confirmed to him what he no longer had.

When the feeling in his body finally returned, Shuzo heaved a shaky breath as he crouched down, gingerly taking his mother’s and father’s hands in his own. When his soul finally remembered how to mourn, his eyes welled up with tears as he pressed the two palms against his cheek, searching for any modicum of warmth from their cold flesh. Trembling sobs finally escaped his quivering lips as he knelt on the fractured concrete, repeatedly whispering his parents’ names to himself.

And yet, in the world’s infinite cruelty, Shuzo was allowed not another second to feel his devastation.

With a gasp, his body abruptly tensed and straightened up where he sat, as a wave of energy suddenly began to pulsate from his innermost being. The energy quickly engulfed every single one of his cells in what felt like a shockwave as they were sent into an agitated state, a sensation similar to what he’d felt at the end of his recent dream. The edges of his vision began to emanate with a scarlet hue, and the dark growl of rolling thunder resonated through his mind. In his confusion and fear, Shuzo strained his eyes through the crimson light that blurred his sight, searching for his parents and what comfort they could still possibly provide for him, even in their death. However, as soon as he located their bodies and reached for them with shaking arms, he felt the thrum of energy in his core burst forth with exponentially greater strength than he could handle, flowing through his arms with the aggression and urgency of rushing water. Before he could even attempt to resist, he suddenly felt an intense surge of intense, red electricity blast from his hands with an ear-splitting crash, and in this outburst of superhuman power, the world around him seemed to slow.

Shuzo saw everything. Though his body moved in tandem with the decelerated flow of time, the blinding light filling his periphery was suddenly dissipated as soon as the blast of lightning was unleashed, and he was left free to see the scene unfold. He first felt confusion, bewildered at the sudden barrage upon his senses, but when his vision refocused, the only emotion present in his mind was dread. The bolts of crimson electricity raced in jagged paths, arcing wildly yet focused in intensity, and Shuzo was unable to do anything but watch as they approached their target, whose eyes and flesh began to reflect the emanating, scarlet light.

He couldn’t reach out, make any motion to try and stop what would soon transpire, nor could his mouth open to shout out a warning that would fall upon deaf ears. The lightning reached out towards his parents’ bodies and, right in front of Shuzo’s widened eyes, began to pass through flesh and bone, burning and ravaging everything in its path without compromise. As the streaks of electricity continued to surge forth, the corpses were gradually vaporized, torn apart and reduced to ash, and Shuzo watched, helplessly taking in the sight of his parents dematerializing at his hands.

When time resumed, the waves of energy subsided, and the crackles of lightning dancing around his body began to die out. Heavy silence fell upon the remains of the lab, and as Shuzo knelt in the dust and ash scattered around him, he stared with dull, glazed eyes at where his parents once laid for several, tense minutes, numb and unmoving. Finally, when his world refocused and he truly understood what happened, his eyes began to burn with tears, and after a deep, trembling breath, Shuzo let out a pained, guttural wail, echoing through the aftermath, filled with nothing but hopelessness and despair.

Fulfill your new destiny.

Last edited:
Entry No. 4: A Lone Spark

December 2017 - New York - 0125 Hours

The nighttime winter breeze spoke an eerie whisper through the city of New York, and the full blood moon cast its sanguine light through the clear, ink-black sky and onto the metropolis below in tandem. The “City That Never Sleeps” lived up to its moniker despite the time, as cars and citizens bustled through the streets, proceeding with their days as usual without a care. But far on the outskirts of the city were the Silver Sand Docks, the landmark of an area that had a much earlier curfew, and the only sound breaking the silence was the swaying, rhythmic roll of the nearby tide as it tumbled upon the shore…

And the screams.

The Silver Sand Docks were built on the edge of a less-than-fortunate area of Coastal New York, and though it was known that the streets of this region fell quiet much sooner than the more central parts of the city, there was an underlying environment, unbeknownst to the citizens who had far more to worry about in this part of town, that truly never slept. The docks’ warehouses were old, rusted, abandoned. Condemned for years from their wear and tear. And yet, those seeking opportunity found steadfast bastions within the buildings’ crumbling, barely illuminated interiors, as well as a hotspot for criminal syndicate activity where their ambitions could be achieved without the harsher scrutiny of the police department or other forces who would seek to intervene.

Tonight, in particular, a yakuza faction had gathered in Warehouse 25 to conduct their monthly run of human trafficking for sexual slavery, preparing their shipments to be promptly transported. An especially lucrative part of their business, the money they earned from the bodies sold provided greater opportunities to purchase arms and further facilitate their influence in the underworld of New York. And with every successful deal, be it of weapons or women, the yakuza grew stronger, and the Golden Lion’s fangs grew sharper.

“Get moving!”

Wails of despair rang through the warehouse as the victims were dragged and shoved into crates; the faction members in charge of loading spared no compunction in being as rough as they desired, shouting aggressively and using tasers--albeit sparingly, so as not to inflict any visible injury that could potentially tarnish the product--to ensure that their cargo complied. Commands to keep quiet, keep moving. No one was going to help them. Not here. Even if they were to scream at the top of their lungs, no one would ever bother to listen.

Yet scream they did, forcing their cries and sobs through parched throats and cowering as they were forced into their enclosures. The sounds of hopeless anguish fell on naught but willfully deaf ears, as other yakuza members who weren’t currently occupied with moving the human trafficking victims either talked amongst themselves or guarded the perimeter, each one of them brandishing a firearm as they stood. Withholding their indifferent gaze from the women who begged and whimpered for help, those who oversaw the security of their deal remained in their positions outside and inside the warehouse, as they scanned for any potential threats to their business. However, one gunman’s gaze suddenly fell upon a moving silhouette from his periphery, on the streets not too far from his post. It was small, not likely to cause much trouble, but the uncertainty as to who or what it could be was sufficient for the yakuza member to call out, raising a sharp inquiry that would surely grab the intruder’s attention.

“おい、だれだそこで?Who’s out there?”

- - -

It was cold. His breath, weak and shaky, blew thin wisps of fog in front of him through quietly chattering teeth, and the bitter, nighttime air bit at his face, prompting his eyes to water as he walked along the streets next to the docks. The blisters on his feet were getting worse; sooner or later, they’d start bleeding again. The stinging pain on his soles burned hotter with every step, implying that the thin, tattered bandages were beginning to give way if they hadn’t already. Maybe he would get lucky, get away with nabbing some more at the next bodega that hadn’t seen him yet. Alas, luck was one of many other desperately needed but scarce amenities as of recently. However, looking on the extremely dim-lit and wildly flickering side of the situation, at least he could still feel himself walk.

His clothes were tattered and dirty, providing insufficient sanctuary from the cold to keep him from shivering as he trudged through the street. The spoils of scavenging had not been kind, allowing him only the bare minimum for surviving the New York winters, as only a thin, old tee, torn jeans, and a ragged jacket hung upon his thin, malnourished frame. It hardly seemed adequate, but for better or worse, it kept him alive. And yet, as alive as he stood, his eyes couldn’t possibly seem any more lifeless, darkened by heavy bags underneath and casting an empty gaze down onto the frigid concrete upon which he walked.

How long had it been? It felt like decades ago, and at the same time, like it was yesterday. The days all seemed to blend together as he found himself doing the same thing over and over again. Hunting for scraps to feed himself, stealing from one store to the next, never having the luxury to sleep in the same place twice. The same nightmare every night his mind allowed himself to dream, and another one waiting for him as soon as he woke up. Their faces, their voices. The distant memory of a normal life. And, with a scream and flash of blood-red light, all of it turning to dust in his hands.

But he was alive. Wasn’t that something to be relieved about? He’d survived. By some miracle, he’d been the only survivor at the laboratory explosion. It was…

It was a miracle.

…Mom?

Wasn’t it?

Oh, God.

He was alive.

You killed them.

…He’d killed them.

The world around him began to blur, and the once faint sound of the rolling tide suddenly filled and surged through his skull, the crashing waves accompanied by his gradually panicking breath and quickening heartbeat. He could feel his insides toss and turn as the ground beneath him seemed to sway, and the longer he struggled to stand still, the heavier the weight of his guilt seemed to press upon his core. His legs shook under the gravity of his anxiety, swiftly buckling and bringing him to his knees. He fell to the ground with a pained groan, choked out as if the air had abruptly escaped his lungs as he barely held himself up with his calloused palms. A cold sweat began to bead at his face as he dry-heaved and gasped for air, and his ears were filled with a quiet, shrill drone as his senses were gradually overtaken and his vision began to fade.

He couldn’t breathe, his throat was parched, and he was malnourished. Yet, despite how debilitated he was, he knew that this was only his second panic attack tonight. Alone as he was, he’d soon learned to keep his mind--or lack thereof--to himself. Unfortunately, as often as he’d been crippled by such anxiety time and time again, unable to function or even hear himself think, there remained a single, much more imposing truth beholden to him, one he could fully realize amidst the chaos yet provided not even a modicum of comfort.

He would not die.

Regardless of whether or not he succumbed to his frailty and what should have been his end years ago ever since his life had so drastically changed, he still woke up the next day, and the day after. He’d lost count of how many times he’d given up. How many times it hurt to live. How many times he begged to a godless sky that today would be the end. And yet, for the past six years, nine months, and eighteen days…

He still. Woke. Up. Only to do the same thing all over again.

It was inconceivable that he should suffer so long. That the universe hadn’t seen it fit to let him off even a little easily after all he’d lost. With a blatant laugh in the face of his emptiness and brokenness, he was repeatedly denied permission to die. Not through his weakness or starvation, not even the physical means he’d dared to attempt so that he might finally be free. He, who no longer had neither anything to love in this world nor anything to love him, remained ensnared to a life he desperately wanted to throw away. And with every unwanted breath he drew, Shuzo Takeshi wondered exactly what or who it was that so stubbornly denied him the gift of death.

- - -

“おい、だれだそこで?”

Unfortunately, he’d not currently been in much of a state to ponder such things, as he remained crumpled on the ground, waiting for his regularly scheduled panic attack to subside. Nor did he have much time to do so either, as his disquietude would be swiftly interrupted by a voice suddenly calling out, loud and sharp-tongued. The sound was loud enough to pierce through the chaos ravaging his mind, and the recognition of his native language as he registered the words that were spoken further pulled him closer to reality.

‘Who was out there’? Were they calling to him? Shuzo wiped his eyes and forced himself to his feet, though not without stumbling on the way as his composure had not been fully regained. It took several for his vision to clear, and as he navigated half-blindly toward the voice, he didn’t know what he’d truly stumbled upon until his world finally came back into some modicum of focus and he found himself mere meters from the one who’d called, a tall, grown man in a suit, holding an assault rifle at his side, a lion tattoo on his neck. Coming to a complete halt, he raised his hands above his shoulders, albeit with substantial difficulty and weakness as he still struggled to recover from his recent breakdown. When he’d finally remembered how to speak, Shuzo stammered weakly and quietly through a dry throat and shaky breath, responding to the man’s question in the same tongue.

“I-I’m sorry. I don’t want any trouble. I… I’ve just had a panic attack and have not fully recovered. I need help, so if you could let me pass, I promise not to get in your…”

As the haze in his eyes continued to disperse, the scene around him further unraveled, revealing to him what exactly was happening. His timid words faltered even more as his gaze foolishly yet instinctively wandered past the gunman and took in the sight of the warehouse in front of him. Several women, dragged around in groups by more men with the same suits and tattoos. Multiple crates into which they were forcefully loaded. Though the operation had not been paused by his intrusion, Shuzo now had many more eyes, and even some rifle barrels trained on him. The faint, hopeless whimpers accompanying the dim, ominous ambience soon registered in his ears, and as he fell silent, his eyes turned back to meet the first yakuza who’d called to him. He’d still been groggy, but as he spoke his next words, his voice carried a layer of grim realization atop all of his fear and confusion, his bottom lip quivering ever so slightly as if he already knew the answers to the questions he was about to ask.

“Is this… that kind of deal…? Are you… yakuza?”

The gunman’s eyes narrowed upon hearing Shuzo’s inquiry, and his scowl deepened. He turned to look over his shoulder, seeming to exchange a glance with the other gang members for a brief moment. A few seconds passed, quietly and reinforcing the growing tensions, until finally, the yakuza member turned back and stared down the young, unstable teen before suddenly lunging forward and grabbing him by the wrist. Unprepared for such an instantaneous attack, Shuzo let out a shocked yell as he felt his body jerk forward, and he found himself now being dragged across the warehouse to where the other prisoners were taken. As he struggled feebly against the much stronger man pulling him against the concrete floor, he barely heard the yakuza member’s voice above his own desperate pleading.

“You saw us. You know what we’re doing. We can’t let you go, but maybe we’ll find a market for you along with the rest of our product.”

Upon hearing the crime syndicate’s plans for him, Shuzo felt his legs give way as the strength left his body. They were selling him. Likely for the same purposes provided by the women they’d originally been transporting. And for the third time tonight, he was overcome with a wave of light-headedness and nausea. His continued pleas, now begging for them to kill him instead, grew muffled in his own ears as his vision began to blur and fade with tears. Cursed with the inability to die, Shuzo would now spend the rest of it as even lesser than a human than he already felt.

It was truly, truly inconceivable.

- - -

Shuzo.

Suddenly, Shuzo felt a deep, bassy thrum reverberate from his core, sending a static sensation coursing through his cells. Entirely inhuman, yet dreadfully familiar. His concern only grew when the corners of his vision began to fill with light that carried both sanguine and argent hues. Earsplitting peals of thunder resounded above the warehouse, immediately commanding the confused attention of the people inside as the lights in the ceiling of the warehouse began to flicker. There hadn’t been any projected rainy weather, let alone storms capable of producing such crashes. All the while, Shuzo began to tremble as his captor unknowingly loosened his grip, equally as confused as the other yakuza, and the light filling his irises pulsated and grew in intensity until--

Silence.

In the blink of an eye, Shuzo found himself in a completely white space, devoid of matter. He could feel every hair on his body standing on end, feel his heart pounding against his chest, hear the sound of his breath directly into his ears. The panic and anxiety overwhelming his senses had persisted in this other dimension, and he could only keep himself on his feet so long before his legs buckled once again. Falling to the “ground”, his confusion only grew as he looked around frantically, only to see the same white void encapsulating him. However, as soon as he could feel his mind on the verge of breaking once more, a voice spoke through the expanse, resonating both across the endless vacuum and straight into his aural nerves. It was deep, yet smooth. Unfamiliar, yet almost soothing.

Shh, it’s okay. You’re not alone. Breathe.

What? Shuzo could feel his mind ask, but his lips couldn’t find the strength to part. There was no one here. Who was speaking?

It’s been rough, hasn’t it, Shuzo?

How did he know his name? He still couldn’t see who the voice was coming from, and by rights, he should have had more than ample reason for his panic to amplify, contrary to what the voice said. And yet… Why had this voice somehow provided genuine comfort for the first time in his life since that day?

I’m watching over you. I know how much you’ve wanted to die, to escape this torture of a life. But I also see something in you, something that can give you meaning and purpose again.

Meaning? Purpose? Words that he’d long forgotten. Things he’d wandered for years without. Finally, as he squinted through the white void, Shuzo suddenly saw a hand, open and outstretched, though the rest of the body remained yet to be seen.

Take my hand, Shuzo. I promise you, you just need to take my hand, and you will never be alone again. You will never hurt or struggle on your own again.

Those words. You will never struggle on your own. In an instant, Shuzo saw her face. Stared into her comforting, loving eyes. Felt her hands clasping his. Brushing through his hair. Wiping his tears. His own eyes began to well up, as he heard her voice intertwine with the one speaking to him. Part of him remained apprehensive, the countless scars of anxiety and depression warning him against something so unknown to him. A connection and bond that he could once again destroy with his own hands. And yet… the part of him that desired more than anything to feel whole after living a hollow life, the part of his mind that had just heard everything he’d wanted to hear for the past six years, nine months, and eighteen days, reached out a hand. Shuzo leaned forward, and as he felt himself take hold of the hand waiting for him…

His world went pitch black.

- - -

Shuzo slowly opened his eyes, and once he had fully come to, he found himself no longer in the warehouse on the docks, surrounded by yakuza in the middle of a sex trafficking deal. As he looked around, he instead saw familiar paintings hanging on the walls, potted flowers and plants on the kitchen counter that were now long dead and wilted. Roses. His mom had always loved growing those…

“...What?”

The pieces began to connect as Shuzo continued to look around. He recognized everything. The soft carpet he stood on, the one on which he’d remember laying on his stomach to watch the TV. Every minute detail his eyes could detect took him back to his old life, before… everything. If it hadn’t been for his confusion, Shuzo would have seen everything with eyes blurred with nostalgic tears. Alas, he remained disoriented at how he’d suddenly ended up back home, and what exactly had happened when he felt himself take the voice’s hand just seconds ago. As if on cue with his thoughts, he suddenly heard the voice speak behind him, much more personal, as if it were in the room rather than endless space, and when Shuzo turned around, everything was revealed.

Thank you for trusting me.

Sitting on the leather couch before him, where his father once reclined to rest after work, sat a man, middle-aged. His facial features seemed to be of Japanese descent, and he wore a kind, warm smile on his face. However, Shuzo found himself focusing on a particular part of the stranger’s appearance: namely, the lustrous, silver hair on his head, and a similar hue shining in his eyes. Emanating around him was an aura of the same argent light, gentle and only barely radiating around his body, yet with a heavily imposing force that seemed to send a chill through Shuzo’s bones despite the distance between them. The man spoke once more, his voice as soft and soothing as it had been when Shuzo had first heard it.

I understand you have quite a number of questions for me, and I’ll be happy to answer them. But you’ve had a long night. Please, wash up and get some rest. We can talk in the morning.

Shuzo blinked, attempting to fully process the man’s words. He didn’t even know who this was, why he’d offered to help him. Every moment had been one unexpected situation after the other. His primary concern at the moment was having his questions answered, but as he opened his mouth to speak, Shuzo’s exhaustion finally caught up to him. It was all he could do not to suddenly crumple to the floor, so without much argument, he staggered across the living room to head for the bathroom. After all these years, he still knew where everything was, and as he was about to pass through the door frame to his bedroom, he suddenly paused, leaning against the wall. He turned back to face the man in his living room, who raised his hand to send him off with a wave as his smile remained.

Shuzo wanted to say something--whether it was to thank him, perhaps get at least one question before he passed out. His mouth opened but failed to make a sound; yet somehow, the man seemed to understand--adding that to the list of things he knew about Shuzo--and chuckled softly before speaking one last time.

I’m sorry; I know this is all incredibly disorienting, especially considering how little you still know. I ought to at least give you my name before we talk again tomorrow.

You can call me Raikos.

- - -

Sirens wailed through the night sky as police cars bustled down quiet streets. They parked at the old, abandoned warehouses near the Silver Sand Docks, and squadrons of officers soon exited the vehicles and fanned out, setting a perimeter around the building labeled “25”.

“Alright, set up a perimeter! We don’t know what caused those unnatural lightning storms, so stay alert and be ready for anything. Li, you’ll take your squad as well as squads 3 and 5 through the front with me, and CSI will follow close behind.”

The officers complied and made for their assigned positions, posting their forces outside the warehouse while the selected squadron began to enter the interior, firearms and flashlights ready. Per the Chief of Police’s instructions, they steeled themselves for what would await them. It wasn’t often one saw bolts of crimson and silver lightning arc through a cloudless sky, and with the recent increase in extraordinary events and the presence of people with superhuman abilities across the planet, being unprepared was not an option.

However, what the squadron saw when they finally arrived on the scene inside the warehouse truly surpassed all expectations.

The sight awaiting the police force could only be described as pure, unadulterated carnage. An eerie silence hung over the building’s interior as the officers stared, feebly attempting to take in what they were experiencing. The stench of scorched blood, singed flesh. The sight of flesh, viscera, and sanguine fluid strewn and splattered across nearly every once blank surface. The bodies, maimed, contorted, and burned. The inevitable wave of nausea passed through the squadron as they stepped carefully around them to scan the full area, suspended under the shadow of death.

Whatever force of inhuman nature had crossed this building had left no survivors; across the floor lay not only the corpses of seemingly armed men in suits, their neck tattoos barely recognizable through the blood and burned flesh as belonging to a recently discovered yakuza faction, but of young women, their lives unexempt from the slaughter. Crates once filled with sex trafficking prisoners were now opened, and not even the victims within had survived. Not a single officer exchanged even a word with their comrades, as it was all they could do simply to stomach the sight of it all. The silence continued to suffocate the police force for a few more, unbearably tense minutes before the Chief spoke into his walkie, though his usually composed voice now trembled the slightest bit.

“All clear. Outside forces, maintain the perimeter. We’ll let CSI conduct the investigations they need and be on our way as soon as possible. Whoever did… Whatever it is that did this is likely long gone.”

- - -

Author's Note: Thank you so much for reading! If you've been a part of or kept up with the original Paragon Acts 1 and 2 threads, you likely have noticed that this story has now diverged WAY off the course of what happened in the first established story, and indeed, this will be where Shuzo's story begins to take a turn into something new and closer to what I've now realized and intended for the character after years of writing with him in RP. However, I do not plan to go completely off the rails, and although it's very different now, you will still recognize some of the major plot points from Acts 1 and 2 in the future. Rest assured that this has all been written and organized as intended, and I hope that even though this may be different than what you've previously read about Shuzo Takeshi in the RP threads, you can still enjoy the journey I've prepared and curated for his standalone work. Thank you again, and I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your weekend o7

Last edited:

Entry No. 5: Part I

“S-someone… SOMEBODY HELP!

Deafening gunfire rang through the night, resounding chaos piercing through the dark of the warehouse. Frantic shouts accompanied the clamor, and footsteps pounded against the ground as quickly as they could, trying to get somewhere--anywhere but here.

He could feel his lungs in his throat, groaning and straining with every pained heave of his chest. He could hear the carnage as if it were right in his ear. The ones behind him, the ones who wouldn’t make it. Their screams, their pleas, filled with desperation and fear to no end before they were snuffed out. Their lives, taken with nothing more than a final gasp. The edges of his vision were blurred, filled with a haze that only grew with his exhaustion. Every sense was launched into disarray, but he couldn’t stop. He had to keep running, because despite the lump of panic choking his breath, nothing was more suffocating than the grasp of death, certain death, clawing at his heels no matter how fast he fled.

Suddenly, a deep rumble of thunder.

A flashbang of blinding, scarlet light, drowning his vision in an instant.

A searing pain in his side--a blade, shorter than the typical katana, sent directly through his body.

His legs buckled from under him, his head slammed against the ground, and then…

…All was quiet.

- - -

Saito Fujiwara slowly came to with a groan, awoken by the crying out of his wounds and the warm sensation of his clothes soaked in blood and sweat. Rain had now begun to fall outside, where he'd last found himself before he'd lost consciousness. How had he ended up back inside the warehouse? There were several others in similar circumstances around him, bleeding and broken. The ones who weren’t… maybe they’d passed on more peacefully. He sure as hell knew that he and the rest of the survivors wouldn’t be getting that luxury anymore. After all, even amidst the raging panic and desperation, he’d heard the lightning and thunder, felt it shake the ground beneath him. He’d seen the bloodred light illuminate the dark.

He knew what was coming.

Forged steel sang its cold, shrill song, a sharp edge grating against the rough concrete in tandem with its holder’s slow, rhythmic footsteps. A heavy silence fell upon the warehouse interior, seeming to suffocate the entire passage even amidst the pouring rain outside. So overbearing was the quiet instilled, that even in their pain, any conscious survivors wouldn’t—no, couldn’t dare to make a sound. From the softest whimper for help to the sharp, pained inhale of bated breath, any and all noise that could possibly be made was stolen and choked out before it was formed, snuffed without hesitation by the approaching shadow of death. All the victims could do in their crumpled, incapacitated state was watch, as the silhouette slowly walked toward them, shrouded in darkness but adorned by fleeting sparks of crimson around his figure. An unconscious yakuza member was held in his other hand by the throat, dragged from the rain and back into the warehouse with a trail of blood.

Saito’s breath hitched, and his eyes welled up, darkened with resignation.

He knew what was coming.

And he, like everyone else, knew there was no longer any way out.

How could it have come to this? He didn’t deserve this. He… he was a good man. Not a criminal. He had a family, a wife and a daughter. They.. they were counting on him. He needed to support them, anyway he could. Just make ends meet, somehow. It had only been a few months since they sought out a better life in the States. Every option had fallen through just as quickly as they’d arrived, and eventually… he was willing to do anything. Even join the yakuza. Anyone with a brain knew the yakuza’s notoriety, even outside their homeland. But they were the only option that would last. That would at least get him back on his feet until he found something safer.

Well, he thought it would.

Straining his neck to see in front of him, Saito watched through squinted eyes blurred with tears and blood as his assailant approached, and he opened his mouth in a desperate attempt to speak, to plead. He knew his fate was sealed. Hopelessness bored through his soul deeper than the blade hurled into his side. But… this was just a misunderstanding. This was only his first job. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was a father. He had a family to care for. Please, he fervently tried to beg.

Please just let me go.

Yet, his bloodied lips formed no words. The only sound he could manage was a pained gargle, choking on the sanguine fluid drowning his throat as the swordsman drew nearer.

The specter of scarlet lightning finally came to a halt, letting the criminal fall from his grip and watching silently as the others before him writhed in pain, still inarticulate under the pressure of their impending demise. He stared, his piercing gaze resting coldly upon them, his crimson irises deep, focused--undeterred from the task at hand. The mission. And yet, amidst the tense atmosphere conjured from his eyes alone, there never seemed a colder absence of life within them. It was said that for any who incurred his wrath or found the misfortune of crossing his blade, the last thing they saw was their own death staring right back.

A deafening quiet continued to hang above the warehouse and its occupants, the haze of hopeless despair spread far and dense. But after what had felt like an eternity, he finally spoke. Words, dipped in frigid yet searing venom, bleeding through the tense, midnight air. They were quiet, raspy, as if spoken from a ghost of a man, but the mask through which they came modulated and twisted their source into a voice so tightly woven with seething vitriol that no human could possibly reproduce. Unable to do anything but listen, the crumpled audience felt their souls wither as their verdict was laid, helpless against the certainty of their impending fate.

You’ve sinned.

This wasn’t just a man. Not just a bright-eyed, naive vigilante with some sense of justice or resolve to take the law into their own hands and stand up for the innocent like some hero. Not even a battle-hardened warrior, fighting for good and taking vengeance against a world that had done them wrong.

Such heroes tended to also have souls.

But this… this was an otherworldly force of divine punishment, concentrated into a hollow mortal shell and imbued with a strength that rivaled armies. A being that made one man feel like a hundred. There was no heart of virtue within him, no drive for retribution, only the purest, most unbridled hatred for evil. Whispers amongst the criminal underworld spoke of such a figure, nameless yet incredibly notorious. Even the most powerful syndicates, with leaders known to have ironclad grips on entire cities, had suddenly found their operations brought to a screeching halt, their factions razed down in an instant. Even Saito, someone roped into the criminal world without a choice, had heard such whispers of such an adversary, one not even the most devoted members of the yakuza ever hoped to cross.

No, this was not just a man. This was a ronin born from the crimson storms of hell and an executioner charged by the heavens, unleashed upon this planet to purge all transgression and take the life of all organized crime.

There is no rectifying what you’ve done. No matter what any of you tell me next, I will be conducting the swift passage of everyone here to the afterlife. The only thing in your control is how peacefully you meet your end, and that is dependent on the information you give me.

Reaching down to retrieve his shoto, he unceremoniously yanked it out of a nearby criminal’s side, wiping the blood onto the sleeve of his tunic against his inner elbow. After sheathing the shorter blade, he brandished his daito, which was still muddled with blood and viscera, and leveled his hollow stare upon the crumpled men before him. Utterly devoid of life, yet dancing with an intense scarlet that radiated unwavering focus.

Where is the one you call ‘the Golden Lion’?

Suddenly, sirens. The wail of an incoming police force began to ease its way into the tense silence, briefly breaking the swordsman’s focus. A breath of relief overtook some of the survivors who even could; ironically, the flashing red and blue lights they often knew to avoid now provided slivers of hope that they might perhaps live to be arrested, a thought as outrageous as it could possibly sound.

As the sirens grew louder, the shadow cloaked in lightning unleashed a stream of curses, a rare slip of humanity that escaped through the demonic malice emanating from around him. Meanwhile, Saito was one of many survivors frantically catching their breath in the respite, gasping for as much air as he could in the short time he had left. Surely this monster wouldn’t let them out alive. But if there was a chance, a chance that he could see his wife and daughter again… he couldn't lose hope. His assailant now paced around, the lightning around his figure visibly agitated as the police cars continued to approach. Then, within the blink of an eye, his own irises flashed with a bright scarlet, locking back onto the group of criminals with the same cold focus as before. Saito’s breath hitched, his body frozen in place under the swordsman’s piercing gaze, but what happened next was nothing short of unexpected.

You’ve been let off easy today.”

What? Surely this couldn’t be. Saito stared, dumbfounded, and his eyes seemed to share his confusion, blurring and sporadically focusing in and out as he heard the swordsman continue to speak, his voice now human and unmodulated.

“Go. Be with the people you love. After tonight, you’ll never let them go again.”

Saito’s bewilderment only continued to increase as his assailant had seemingly become… compassionate. His eyes struggled to focus for a few more seconds before his vision eventually cleared, but when it did, he could have sworn that the originally dark warehouse had now been illuminated. The once shadowy figure was now in plain sight, and what Saito saw brought his confusion to its peak. Every disguise had been removed: the mask, the tattered cloak, the blinding crimson lightning that danced around him. Saito’s eyes fell on an utterly exhausted gaze, red irises that once glowed with fierce intensity but now, darkened and weary. Was this for real?

He... was just a kid. A visibly broken, exhausted kid… but still a kid.

“Leave all of this behind. Cherish the life I’ve given you.”

Saito couldn’t believe what he’d heard. The second last thing he’d expected from the one who’d cut down faction after faction was for him to be so young. The very last thing he’d expected was mercy. And yet, Saito stared with wide eyes as he listened to this young-adult-at-most spare his life. The sight of his family flashed into his mind, and tears began to well up; he’d be able to see them again. With quivering lips and a voice on the verge of breaking down into a relieved sob, Saito looked up at the swordsman with a newfound, desperate optimism.

“Y-you really mean that?”

Wait, how could he even speak?

The swordsman fell silent, but before Saito could even birth his next thought, the warehouse was suddenly filled with a burst of red light. The last thing he saw before his sight was drowned in scarlet was the young soul, once again cloaked in darkness and lightning, and the last words he heard were twisted into a modulated, venomous growl.

Mean what?

Last edited:

Entry No. 5: Part II​

December 2022 - New York - 2345 Hours

“Move, move, move!”

Police cars screeched to a halt, and footsteps thundered against the concrete as officers hurried to the crime scene. The captain leading the squad was the first to rush into the site, her glare cold as ice and a determined scowl twisting her lips. This crimson storm, the crash of scarlet lightning. She’d recognized the culprit’s doing in a second. All the years of hunting down this unnamed ronin, all the years of turning up empty-handed and without a single lead, and all the years of having to clean up after this bastard’s mess…

NY Police Captain Yin Li wouldn’t be having it any longer.

She didn’t get it. For longer than she’d even been serving, the police force had constantly had trouble dealing with the countless crime syndicates running rampant throughout the city, and the yakuza were the most elusive and powerful of them all. And yet, as of just a few years ago, even on the days they were able to predict where they’d strike next at all, this mystery swordsman had been leaps and bounds ahead, beating them to the chase every. Single. Time. Every other crime family with lesser influence and power might as well have been out of the question entirely; on the contrary, this maniac seemed to find those guys even sooner.

And Li couldn’t stand seeing a vigilante more devoted than her.

But they’d been faster this time. As soon as she’d heard so much as a whisper of thunder in the sky, she’d nearly sprang out of her seat at the department and right into action, scrounging together as many officers as she could who had nothing else going on tonight. This time, they’d bring this superhuman killer to justice.

Who cares? What’s the issue? She’d heard coworkers ask such questions. Fellow officers! Li couldn’t believe it, and she’d more than reprimanded them for their complacency in every offense. Some older officers had attempted to play the age card the first couple of times, seeing as Li had joined the force and became captain at record pace despite her youth, but it hadn’t taken long to shut them up.

Obviously, she wasn’t an idiot who couldn’t at least see their point of view. As the entire force was completely aware at this point, whoever this guy was… he was good at what he did. Li couldn’t argue against this. Executing entire factions in one night, hunting them down with ruthless yet meticulous ferocity. More so than any other vigilante, this swordsman had struck utter fear into the heart of the criminal underworld, and the lazier officers on the force were content to leave him to do their job, though they’d never dare to say this out loud when Li was in the room. She knew his skill. But she didn’t respect it. No one man could ever be trusted with the freedom to do as he’d done time and again. He wasn’t above the law, and what would happen if he snapped even further? His power couldn’t go unchecked forever.

Bearing this resolve in her heart, Captain Li continued to storm ahead, gun already drawn and at the ready at the first sign of conflict. As the officers approached the scene, the sound of blood-curdling screams and the screech of slashing steel against flesh slowly grew to meet them. Those of weaker mental fortitude couldn’t help but falter at the impending carnage, but Li remained unfazed, given even more determination if anything as her footsteps found a greater urgency. As the warehouse finally began to peek out from over the horizon, and the site was closer in view, Li had practically broken into a sprint, her gun still held up in front of her.

“Police! Nobody move!”

And then, silence. A heavy silence that hung over the entire police squad, paralyzing some of them just as the yakuza had been earlier. Even Li felt the sudden wave of intensity pass through her with the chilling quiet, but she held her ground. The dark of the warehouse offered no clear view, but she continued to speak up, making her presence known to the vigilante she knew was inside.

“I know you’re in there! Give it up. I promise you, you don’t want to make more of an enemy of NYPD as you have already.”

Silence even still. The longer it hung over the officers, the heavier it weighed upon them. Then, footsteps. One foot after the other, resounding through the tense quiet at a painfully slow tempo. As if each step was a drop of water hitting the officers’ foreheads, no telling when the next would come. When they’d stop. When the officers might find themselves too dead to feel them. Nevertheless, Captain Li continued to stand in defiance of what seemed like certain doom, as her own resolve far eclipsed whatever scare tactics this guy could possibly pull. The fight for justice couldn’t be ended that eas--

You ought to be a little more grateful that I don’t consider you my enemy yet.

Within the blink of an eye, a low, ominous growl of thunder and a quick flash of crimson lightning revealed the vigilante, now standing mere inches away from the police captain and her gun. The few officers who could still react even remotely on time let out a surprised yelp, immediately drawing their own firearms, but Li was a step ahead, wasting no time in actually firing a round, point blank at the swordsman’s head. The gunshot pierced through the heavy silence with a BANG!, causing the rest of the squadron to flinch and recoil in surprise…

But the vigilante didn’t fall.

The police captain stared with enraged incredulousness as her eyes rested on the glint of the bullet she’d just fired, now crackling with crimson lightning in the swordsman’s fingers. He’d caught it. A 9 millimeter bullet fired with a pressure of about 35,000 psi, no more than a foot away. What the hell was this guy? However, she quickly refocused on the matter at hand as her gaze then traveled to the swordsman’s face, hoping to commit whatever features she could discern to memory. This was obviously much easier said than done, courtesy of the darkness and the mask the vigilante wore over his mouth and nose, but nevertheless, Li continued to level a challenging glare into his eyes, the only feature she could even remotely make out.

“You think you scare me? I’ve taken down enough supes like you to see through all the edgy BS. Make no mistake: none of you are above the law, and it’s only a matter of time before I’ve put you away for all the people you’ve killed.”

Your record number of past attempts seems to disagree.

BANG!

Another gunshot. Li’s scowl deepened, a nerve visibly struck. The swordsman now held two bullets in between his fingers, holding it up as if in a mocking display. However, Li hadn’t climbed her way up the department just by being aggressive, and her anger had successfully hidden her true intentions. This was the first time in a long time she’d come face-to-face with this guy. Even if they couldn’t apprehend him today, the least she could do was get information. Pull together whatever details she could about what made him tick. With a taunting sneer, she quickly enacted her game plan: keep him irritated.

“You look tired. Not stretching you too thin with all these dances we’ve done together, I hope?”

Dance? If that’s what you call this, you’re several steps behind.

“Or you just don’t know what song’s playing. I might as well have left you in the dust already.”

Awfully talkative tonight, Captain. Trying to get a rise out of me?

“Aw, you heard about my promotion, how sweet! Guess you do care about me more than I thought.”

Tch.

What was that? An irritated click of his tongue? His mask had distorted the sound, but there was no doubt. Li’s smirk widened, even as she watched the vigilante turn on his heel and make to exit the scene. He likely had no intention to entertain this conversation any further, so she had to make one last bid.

“Do you really think what you’re doing is right?”

A brief pause. This was her chance.

“Like I said, I’ve seen your flavor of vigilante time and again. Put away a good number of ‘em myself. All the same self-righteous heroes who think they can do whatever they want with this city as long as they have the right intentions. Saving lives? Revenge? None of them get off scot-free. What happens when they kill innocents? They never meant to drag civilians into the crossfire, did they? But that falls on them. Just how it works, and you’re no different. It must eat at you, huh? Do you ever stop to think about who you draw in? Who did you lose? You strike me as the retribution kinda guy.”

BOOM!

Another flash of scarlet lightning, even brighter this time, brought forth an ear-splitting crash of thunder, and when the light subsided, Li found herself staring into the vigilante’s eyes once again, closer, dancing wildly with crimson sparks. His voice, mildly annoyed at first, was now twisted into a seething rasp, practically dripping with fury and… something else. She heard it clearly, but she couldn’t quite put a finger on it.

You don’t know shit about me. You know nothing about what I’ve lost—don’t ever speak to me as if you have any idea who I am. I’m no hero. I’m not saving lives, I’m not seeking vengeance. I’m making amends. Keep being a thorn in my side, and I won’t look your way if you get caught in the crossfire yourself.

Li’s smug demeanor faded into a defiant scowl, her eyes unwavering as she met his enraged glare, but it was then that a brief glint of recognition lit her irises.

Pain. That’s what she’d heard.

Without another word, the swordsman turned once again, and this time, nothing could be said that would interrupt him. His figure began to crackle with lightning that found new intensity, and he slammed a charged palm into the ground below him. The clouds above rumbled ominously, and shortly after his hand hit the concrete, a massive bolt of crimson electricity fell upon him, illuminating the entire vicinity in blinding red light and causing the police officers to recoil backward. A curse escaped Captain Li’s lips as she covered her eyes with her arm, and as the light subsided and the dust settled, a quick scan of the area revealed the vigilante was nowhere to be found. With an exasperated huff, Li lowered her gun, though she didn’t holster it, and she finally signaled for her squad to advance into the scene.

“Fan out. No use looking for the vigilante; we’ll just survey the area and call it in, report what happened ourselves.”

Though most were dumbstruck from everything that happened in the past several minutes, the officers quickly got their head back on straight at the captain’s command, making their way towards the warehouse and keeping their head on a swivel in case anything happened. Li took point on investigating the interior, but as she entered and fully took in the sight, her eyes hardened, and she sucked in a sharp breath.

“That bastard.”

No matter how many times she saw a scene of this magnitude, it always managed to cause just the smallest part of her stomach to turn. And it was always that guy. On one of her very first operations on the job, she’d seen the remnants of unnatural red lightning and the carnage that followed. This was no different.

Her flashlight suddenly fell on something in a nearby pile of bodies, a paper-like object that seemed to reflect the light and grabbed her attention. Li slowly approached what she soon found to be a slip of laminated paper, splattered with blood and resting in the palms of a nameless corpse. With a gloved hand, she gingerly picked up the slip and peered at it, using her light to illuminate the contents of the image.

A family. Husband and wife, and their daughter. Cute smiles. A cursory glance back towards the corpse that had held the photograph revealed the father as the deceased, and a heavy sigh escaped Li’s lips.

This was always the hardest part of the job.

As she placed the picture into a plastic bag, Li's scowl returned in full force as she continued to scan the area. Once the warehouse had been thoroughly searched, she began to make her exit, instructing the rest of the squad to follow suit. However, before she entered her vehicle, Li stared back at the entrance of the warehouse, eyes resting on the burn mark on the ground, made by the lightning bolt that had taken the vigilante away. She remembered what she'd seen in his eyes, what she'd heard in his voice when his composure had finally been lost, and her scowl faltered for but a moment.

"He really does look tired."