• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join The Journey Out of Time (Medieval-Meets-Modern RP)

An ancient, iron-age society - predating recorded history by countless eons - and modern-day Unova: two eras hitherto separated by the vast abyss of time. But there's something stirring in the cosmos as of late, and soon a rift will open up: bridging together two eras that were never meant to meet...

Come to the discussion page to learn more! https://pokecharms.com/threads/the-journey-out-of-time-discussion.22662/

~~~ ~~~
////// BEGIN //////
~~~ ~~~

Name: Ezra
Era: Medieval
Appearance: Quite lanky (due to his ascetic lifestyle) with dark, buzzed hair; He wears simple robes, and sandals.
Personality: Curious, and introspective; the world as he's come to know it just isn't interesting enough to hold his attention; there must be something more to life! He entered the monastery in search of answers, but he's starting to regret it...
Pokemon: None, at the moment

"Come here, Initiate: take these books to the library, at once."
"Yes, Master" Ezra replied with a slight bow, taking the books from the senior monk.
"And do not forget, boy: mass is MANDATORY, and attendance WILL be taken - another infringement from you and the Archbishop will be most displeased..."
"Yes, Master" Ezra repeated with the same formalities, and began to walk away.

He sighed to himself: was this really what monastic life was all about? Errands, and arbitrary ceremonies? He thought there would be more... truth-seeking, and wisdom. Could he really see himself doing this for the rest of his life?

He shook his head as if to clear his thoughts, and made his way into the library. Sifting through the shelves, he found the proper places for the books he'd been tasked with and returned them.

He was about to leave the room when a distant "WHOOPEE!" caught his attention, carried in by the wind through an open window.
"That's right..." he thought to himself as he approached the windowsill. "There's a festival in the village, this evening..."
He gazed longingly out the window, fantasizing about the festival as the warnings of the senior monk echoed in his head. He was sooo tempted to sneak out, but could he really afford to skip out on mass again? At that moment the smell of a giant pork roast wafted in, and made his decision for him.
"Screw it!" he said out loud, and hopped out the window and began to run toward town.

Last edited:
Roberto sat in a tent in the corner of the festival, which had been put up for him by some peasant he hadn't cared to learn the name of. Wyrm, his Dratini coiled around his hand gleefully, and the squire-in-training couldn't help himself but pet it's head softly, which the dragon pokemon seemed to like.

Catching the smell of the pork roast that he knew would be roasting, Roberto made his way from the tent, Wyrm still wrapped hardly around his wrist.

"Come along, Wyrm. The villagers have prepared food for the festival, and I would not like to miss it." Roberto muttered to the dragon snake, smiling slightly.

Last edited:

JadeStar

Previously The Pikachan
Akane walked into the festival with her Talonflame flying above, keeping an eye on her. The redhead seemed surprised by such event since it was the first one she ever attended outside her home country. She placed her hand on the handle of her katana which hung on her side and looked around. There were some games, food stands and other things. In some ways it was similar to the ones back home, but a lot more dirty. Akane looked down at the muddy road and made a disgusted face. It wasn't the right moment to wear sandals. Fortunately, the smell of food reached her disturbed nose as she turned to a good stand. They seemed to sell some sort of sweet bread. She looked up at her Talonflame and pointed at the stand to let her know where she was going.

Akane walked up to the stand, which luckily didn't have that many people, and sat down. She smiled as she was given a small bread on a wooden plate. She paid for the meal and began to gently nibble the bread as she looked ahead and wondered what else this land had to offer.

Ezra was wandering around town, enjoying the sights and sounds of the festival without actively participating in them, when a booming voice called out to him - one that he knew quite well:
"HEY BOY!!!" the town blacksmith could be seen waving his arms wildly, and Ezra smiled at him and made his way over.
"Whatcha doin' here, boy? Ain't you supposed to be prayin' right now, or somethin'?" the older man teased Ezra as he arrived at his stand; he was selling nails, knives, and other tools pertaining to peasant life.

"Y-yeah, well..." Ezra trailed off guiltily.

The older man clapped him on the back:
"Well good on you, boy!" he grinned. "You oughta know by now that I support yer little 'outings' - I ain't gonna tell nobody!"

"Aha, thanks..." Ezra responded, feeling somewhat reassured.

"Besides," the blacksmith continued. "Beldum here's missed you - ain't that right little guy?"
The iron ball pokemon leapt out of a pile of ingots, and began to float around Ezra and chant its name enthusiastically. Ezra smiled: the monastery forbade its members from having any pokemon of their own, so he had to cherish what little time he could with other people's pokemon. The blacksmith knew this, and offered a suggestion:
"I know! Why don't you take Beldum around the festival for me? He's been buggin' me to go, but I'm so busy with the stand and all..." he looked at Ezra expectantly.

"U-uh, sure!" Ezra's response didn't let on to the full extent of his excitement, but the blacksmith saw through it and smirked.

"Alright, just bring 'im back before it gets too late!"

Ezra waved goodbye and left with Beldum at his heels.

He was making his way toward the smell of the roast, when someone with an unusual garb caught his eye:
What is she wearing? Ezra had never seen a Kimono before, so Akane's apparel confounded him. I wonder where she's from...

At this point Ezra lost himself in a reverie concerning all the foreign lands he may never get to see, and began to question his dry, monastic life-choices... his outward appearance may have been misconstrued as staring, however.

Last edited:

JadeStar

Previously The Pikachan
Akane had just finished her sweet bread. She savored it so good, she bought two more. She sat there and drank her cup of milk thinking what her next destination should be, until her warrior instinct told her she was being watched. She placed her hand on the handle of her katana and turned around slowly, only to see a monk staring at her. His clothes looked poor and messy, in her mind. She got up and walked over to the monk.

"If you're hungry I have an extra bread." She said as she offered the second sweet bread she bought. "I can buy more so go ahead and take it." She talked in a slow and calm voice, trying to hide her foreign accent.

Ezra was zoning out so hard that he hadn't noticed Akane approaching until she was right in front of him, causing him to jump a little.

"B-bread? Uh, sure - if it's not too inconvenient - I'd love some..." he bowed his head slightly and accepted the food. I must be a sorry sight for random strangers to offer me food like this, he thought to himself amusedly.

"I'm curious" Ezra began: "what is it you're wearing? It appears similar to my robes... but much nicer." He took notice of her katana, as well. "I'm guessing you're not from here?"

Roberto emerged from his tent, drawn out by the smell of the roast. Stepping out into the very lively festival, Roberto noticed two people that he knew didn't belong.

A monk? Why is there a monk? Shouldn't they be at the church? Also, what in Arceus' good name is the person talking to the monk wearing? That certainly isn't typical attire.

Wyrm wrapped around Roberto's wrist, Roberto began walking over to the two of them, very curious.

Ezra noticed the squire approaching and began to panic a bit, internally. Uh oh, was he about to get busted? This wouldn't be the first time a knight caught him sneaking out, and got him in trouble for it... Ezra's mind flip-flopped back and forth between running, or trying to play it cool - and ultimately decided to try to play it cool.

"He doesn't look like the kind of guy to care about something like this - or anything, really..." Ezra thought to himself, noting Roberto's apathetic expression.

Wyrm, suspicious of the two strangers, slithered up Roberto's arm and coiled up on his shoulder, assuming a defensive position. As Roberto approached the two, he noticed the monks sudden change in attitude from calm to worried to cool, and almost immediately knew that the monk was afraid of being caught sneaking out.

Raising an eyebrow, Roberto spoke, "Excuse me monk, aren't you supposed to be at the church?" Smiling slightly, he continued, "Don't fret, I won't tell anybody. You don't mind If I sit down, do you?"

Without waiting for a response, Roberto sat down at the table the monk and the oddly dressed individual were.

JadeStar

Previously The Pikachan
"No actually I'm from Johto. I was sent here to run an errand and I'm taking my time to know this land." Akane replied as she extended her arms to show her kimono. "It's a traditional wear. If you want I can improve yours." She giggled as she pointed at the monk's clothing. "My name is-" she was cut off as they were approached by a stranger.

Akane looked back and forth between the two. By the small interaction she figured the monk was doing something he wasn't supposed to and this man had the authority to punish him but decided not to, which meant the monk's crime was nothing to worry about. What confused Akane more was the fact that the new arrival joined them.

"Sorry, is there something wrong?" Akane asked the stranger directly.

“Ah, right. This monk was supposed to be at the church, but it seems he’s snuck out. I don’t blame him, as I would do the same if I were in his position.” Roberto responded, addressing the odd woman.

Roberto’s dratini slowly slithered down Roberto’s arm onto the table, where it slid around. Without even raising an eyebrow, the squire picked up the dragon and placed it back on his shoulder.

“This isn’t time to play, Wyrm. Later, but not now.”

Ezra breathed a sigh of relief as Roberto sat down with them.
"I'm glad you can sympathize with my situation" he chuckled to the page. "One more infraction and I would've been out on the streets - not that I would've minded all that much..." he trailed off.
"Anyways, this is - errr..." Ezra went to introduce Akane, but realized that he hadn't actually learned her name yet... "Well, I know my own name at least: you can call me Ezra!" he laughed awkwardly.

"Johto, wow... I've only ever read about it in books!" he said to Akane excitedly, returning to their previous conversation. "I have so many questions I'd like to ask you! For example, what kinds of-"

Before Ezra could finish, he was cut off by the sound of an explosion not-too-far-off in the distance.
"What the-!? What was that!?" he instinctively threw his arms in front of the Beldum he was taking care of. The lively atmosphere of the festival died down, and people were looking at each other with puzzled faces - wondering if maybe a firework had gone off prematurely, or something... It was then that the voice of the town guard rang out, changing the course of everyone's lives forever:
"ENEMY ARMY, INCOMING!"
In an instant the village plunged into chaos, with people running and screaming in all directions. Ezra stood frozen in place, unable to take it all in.
"B-but how!?" he overheard a panicked guard questioning his superior: "We can see for hundreds of miles in all directions from the watchtower, and the fields were clear a moment ago... How could anyone amass an army this fast!?"
"I-I... I don't know..." the guard's superior looked shaken-up as well. "J-just get back to your post!"

Ezra was snapped out of his trance by a great flash of light right next him; in its wake, stood a man and a pokemon decked out in armour unlike anything he'd ever seen before: flashing lights... glowing tubes... and metals that looked like they were from another world. The man's pokemon (which appeared to be a Houndoom underneath all the armour) unleashed an ungodly flamethrower in Ezra's direction, and the last thing he remembered before blacking out was jumping on top of the blacksmith's Beldum...

Last edited:

JadeStar

Previously The Pikachan
"A monk?" Akane thought it was weird for a man of god to be dressed so poorly. "Ezra? That's a nice name." Akane said in a low voice. She was about to try and present herself again when the monk spoke about. "Yes it is very lovely and beautiful. We have two big towers in my village called-" She stopped when the explosion was heard.

Akane's immediate response was to stand up and place her hand on her sword. Her Talonflame swooped down and landed on her right shoulder. They were being attacked? This wasn't her fight. She could help the monk but not the other stranger, who probably had to join the battle. But before she could began to react, a green flash appeared. She was confused as to the two figures she saw coming from the light, but the flamethrower triggered her warrior instinct. She drew her sword and took a fighting stance as her Talonflame spread her wings and let out a battle cry. Then they both blacked out.

Roberto, in response to the explosion, quickly stood up from the table, and drew his sword from its sheath. Wyrm wrapped tighter around the squire's wrist as he swiftly made his way towards the battle. However, as he approached, Roberto noticed that, with little more notice than a green flash, a man adorned in some unearthly armour and a Houndoom, dressed in the same type of armour had appeared.

As he had a duty to protect, Roberto charged forward at the man, sword in hand. Roberto blacked out.

Last edited:
~~~ ~~~
////// PRESENT-DAY UNOVA //////
~~~ ~~~

Ezra woke up slowly.
The first sense that returned to him was his hearing, filling him with all kinds of sounds he'd never heard before: car horns, sirens, etc.
After that his sense of feeling came back, and he concluded - due to the thorns impaling him in every direction, and the leaves in his mouth - that he must've been lying in a bush of some sort...
Last of all, his vision returned to him - and when he finally gathered the strength to sit up out of the bush, he couldn't believe his eyes... Little did Ezra know that he was lying in a park, right in the heart of Castelia city.

He stared wide-eyed at the monolithic skyscrapers surrounding him. Am I hallucinating? Dreaming? Dead? He couldn't come up with an explanation for what he was seeing.

"Mommy, what is that guy wearing?" A little girl walking a furfrou asked her mom, pointing at Ezra.
"Just keep walking, sweetie" her mom said with an uneasy expression, and ushered her daughter away.

"Are my robes really that hideous?" Ezra looked down at himself and began to brush off some dirt. Then, all of a sudden, he remembered:
"Wait a minute - I was just at a festival! But what happened there? All I remember is fire, and-" That's when Ezra remembered about Beldum.
He began to search around frantically, but it wasn't long before he heard the iron ball pokemon call out from behind him:
"Bel bel!"
Ezra turned around and realized that he must've been lying on top of the pokemon the entire time he was passed out...
"What a relief..." he sighed out loud, seeing that the pokemon was safe. "I hope I wasn't too heavy" he joked. As the memories of the festival came flooding back to him, he remembered that there were two other people with him at the time, as well.
"Ummm... Fancy-robe girl? Knight?" he called out tentatively. "Anyone else here?"

Gabriel smiled as he enjoyed a calm stroll through the vast Castelia City towards the supposed heart, he had just recently been to the clothes store and bought himself a nice Charcoal colored hoodie lined with white fur and pockets that he tended to let his hands rest in. That was before something rather odd seemed to happen around him, strange lights with the sudden appearance of ancient looking structures alongside people in clothing only seen in fantasy movies or history books. Gabriel like everyone else was surprised at this sudden phenomenon.

"What the hell is going on?" He muttered to himself, compared to some of the citizens who panicked while a few hysterical people saw this as 'The end of the world' Gabriel himself was unusually more calm. His brown eyes--or eye as his crimson hair covered one of them--were mainly focused on the strangely dressed individuals, one who wore robes, had a Beldum with him and seemed to call out for a 'Fancy-robe girl?' The trainer wanted to help, but there were plenty of 'newcomers' in 'fancy clothing' ...fancy enough to likely put his recently bought jacket to shame.

JadeStar

Previously The Pikachan
"Akane" The redhead samurai said as she heard the robe guy calling out for her. She opened her eyes as she felt nice smooth grass under her. But to her surprise, it didn't smell bad anymore. There was a tree above her and her Talonflame was looking down at her. "What happened?" She said as she sat up and looked around. "What a stranger forest." She said as she looked around. "And buildings. This is a lot cleaner though, maybe this new land isn't so bad." She got up and dusted herself as she followed the direction where she heard the monk calling from. She finally saw Ezra and her mind told her maybe it was his fault she was knocked out. "What did you do? And where did you take me? Is this where you monks gather?" She noticed some people. "At least they seem better dressed."

"What did I do?" Ezra repeated with a dumbfounded expression. "Trust me, I'm just as confused as you are!"
He took a look around him: there were a few small structures smattered throughout the park, which he recognized from the festival, but for the most part his surroundings were brand-new. A crowd of "locals" had begun to form around the the newcomers from out-of-time, and Ezra was beginning to grow worried...
"You're right" he responded to Akane in a hushed tone: "the people do seem better dressed - but the question is: what on earth are they wearing? I've never seen anything like it, not even in books..." Ezra was perplexed by all the sneakers, jeans, and other forms of modern apparel he'd never seen before.

It wasn't long before Castelia's police department began to show up, and despite Ezra having never seen a police car before (or any car, for that matter) he could tell it wasn't a good sign...
"WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?" an officer barked as he got out of his car. "Who the hell do you people think you are, setting off explosions in the park?" The newcomers from out-of-time stared back at him blankly, unable to process all that was going on. "And how the hell did you get these buildings here!? I haven't heard about anyone filing for a permit! You people are going to have a lot of explaining to do, to the court..." At this point the officer was joined by several of his colleagues, and the atmosphere was becoming very tense... Ezra sensed where things were going, and thought it best to take precautionary measures.

"I think we should get out of here, while we still can..." he whispered to Akane. "Follow me - if you trust me, that is... Hopefully the knight will see us leaving, and join us as well."

Ezra slipped away as stealthily as possible, while the police seemed preoccupied with the rest of the medieval crowd. On his way out he accidentally bumped shoulders with a red-haired onlooker wearing some kind of hooded garment.
"Excuse me - sorry" Ezra said curtly as he continued his escape.

Last edited:
Roberto shook his head, groggy, as though he had just woken up from the longest sleep he had ever had. Under him, he felt some sort of gravel, or stone.

Slowly raising his head, he saw trees. Just rows of trees, all oak. Looking around, he noticed that, by some means, he had moved, as the festival was missing. Aching, Roberto got to his feet and strained his eyes to look around. When he had gotten to his feet, he heard some sort of unnatural wailing.

Hearing shouting, Roberto wandered towards the sound, only to notice the monk slipping away from the scene. Unsure why the monk was there too, Roberto followed.

JadeStar

Previously The Pikachan
Akane looked worried. Should she follow the monk or the uniformed people who seemed to have authority. She looked between the two before making her decision and following Ezra. To her relief, her Talonflame was following from the sky, keeping her distance just in case.

Akane whispered to Ezra as they walked. "Did you have something to do with this? What part of your country are we on? I'm sure if we ask for help maybe they can take us back." She grabbed the monk's sleeve as to not get lost. "Do you have a plan?"

He was walking around talking to his mimikyu, "Hey mimikyu do you like having these adventures?", he asked his mimikyu, His mimikyu screeched happily, "ill take that as a yes since i cant undersatnd you heh heh", They kept walking around while his Hydreigon was flying around. "hey mimikyu ill let you roam around since you like being alone sometimes", His mimikyu jumped off his shoulder and went exploring, "Come back when you wanna leave, dont get lost mimikyu!", his mimikyu was roaming around and saw Ezra, Roberto and Akane, his mimikyu got close to Ezra and grabed his hand.

Ezra continued to move away from the park, as quickly as he could without drawing any unnecessary attention.
"If this place is a part of my country, then it's not a part I'm familiar with... not even through maps" Ezra responded to Akane, staring up at the colossal skyscrapers surrounding them. "I didn't even know it was possible to build this high... It's quite beautiful..." he whispered to himself in awe. He almost lost himself in thought, but managed to snap himself out of it and return to the present moment.

"In terms of a plan..." Ezra looked back at Akane and felt a wave of guilt wash over him. "I-I'm not quite sure yet, to be honest with you. But somehow or other I'm going to get to the bottom of whatever's going on here - and hopefully get us home in the process..." He glanced back at the park. Police officers continued to congregate in the area, and it looked like they were about to start making arrests. "All I know right now, is that clearly we're not the only ones who are confused..."

All of a sudden Ezra felt something grab his hand.
"Hm?" he looked down and saw a mimikyu - a pokemon he'd never seen before. Beldum assumed an offensive stance, perceiving the new pokemon to be a threat, but Ezra quickly calmed him down.
"Ummm... hello there" he spoke to the mimikyu awkwardly... "W-what is you intention, grabbing me like this?"

His Mimikyu screeched at Ezra trying to tell him something, but Ezra didnt understand what Mimikyu was saying.
"Hey Hydreigon, let's go find Mimikyu". His Hydreigonflew down, letting Tovar get on his back, and flew to where Mimikyu was. Mimikyu still tried to tell Ezra something, but then Tovar came flying around and Hydreigon saw Mimikyu. Hydreigon flew down, letting Tovar get off his Hydreigon's back, "Hey Mimikyu, who is he?"

Last edited by a moderator: