• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed The Mystery of Rabua Bay

(Link to discussion thread for easy reference: https://pokecharms.com/threads/the-mystery-of-rabua-bay.19596/ )

At a glance, Stanlow may have seemed like a fairly typical port town. It was nestled snugly in a little cove along the southern edge of Rabua Bay. A curving inlet just large enough for ships to pass through kept the larger waves of the open water from disturbing the calm little cove. A white, sandy beach separated the town from the water's edge, dotted with wooden piers, reaching into the cove like the curious, probing fingers of a giant. The town was home to a shipwright, several inns, and a general store. That, however, is where similarities to a normal town end.

Though at one point in its history Stanlow may indeed have been a quaint little town, it was now little more than a wretched hive of scum and villainy. It was the only sizable town in Rabua Bay, and lay safely out of reach of the navy, which made it a prime hideaway for pirates. The original inhabitants of the town were forced to leave Stanlow, adjust to the new, thieving residents, or be killed. Those who remained in Stanlow adjusted their businesses to appeal to the buccaneers. An armory was opened, filled with blades, firearms, gunpowder and ammunition of all kinds. Many of the inns shut down, reopening as taverns, providing a place for swashbucklers to drink and be merry. The town began to gain a reputation, and slowly it transformed into the prime hideaway for all pirates sailing Rabua Bay. The only thing keeping Stanlow from burning to the ground due to anarchy and chaos was the general knowledge that killing or stealing from anyone was likely to get you killed in return.

On this particular evening, the laughter and chaos that normally filled the town seemed focused around one of the town's more popular taverns, the Wobbly Wingull. A grizzled old Feraligatr sat at one of the tables, downing a tankard of rum. A small group behind the Feraligatr cheered him on, getting increasingly louder as he tilted the tankard further and further before ending with a boisterous shout as the Feraligatr finished off the last of the rum. Slamming the now empty tankard on the table, the old lizard bellowed into the crowd, his voice low and rumbling like thunder.

"Come now! Who else wishes to join the crew of the soon to be legendary Captain Gnarlmaw!?"

Last edited:
At a table in a dark corner of the Wobbly Wingull sat a hooded figure, his appearance unknown thanks to the cloak. He watched Gnarlmaw down his drink as well as the crowd that cheered him. He silently drank his rum before he heard someone stomping his way, he was greeted by a Machamp who appeared to have had one too many pints given the look on his face.

"H-hey you! Why the cloak and... all that crap? You got a secret you don't want us knowin'? You too embarrassed to... to show your face... or is there a pretty lady under there?" The drunken Machamp asked as he reached his hand out to take the hood off only to squeal in pain as the figure grabbed his wrist and gripped down hard. "Don't. Touch. The cloak." The figure said as he threw the Machamp away from him. Machamp was angered at how the figure treated him. "Who do you think you are?!" He asked aggressively.

The hooded figure stood up and took his hood down to reveal he was a Gallade, Machamp was surprised to see who he was dealing with. "You know who I am, you know who you're talking to and you know exactly what I'm capable of doing to anyone who crosses me." The Gallade said with a sinister smirk. Machamp walked out of the tavern cautiously.

The Gallade turned his attention back to Gnarlmaw with a smile and decided to walk up to him. "I guess I could join you, that depends on what your 'crew' will be doing." He said with folded arms.

Gnarlmaw's head turned toward the newcomer, his reptilian eyes scrutinizing the Gallade. His gaze was cold and calculated, not unlike the way a predator might examine its prey. The crowd fell silent as Gnarlmaw stood, tipping his seat over with his powerful tail. Time seemed to slow as he raised an arm, his muscles rippling with raw power. Gnarlmaw brought his palm down, clasping the Gallade's shoulder in a firm yet friendly manner. There was an audible sigh of relief from the crowd, as though they had all been holding their breath.

"Ah! Now here's a brave young soul! You've got quite the reputation, Mr. 'Cutter'!" Gnarlmaw's jaw opened, letting loose a deep, booming guffaw. "I'd be more than happy to welcome you to the crew! As for what we're chasing? Coin, treasures, myths, and vengeance." Gnarlmaw's grip tightened slightly on his last word, and for a split second he had an almost feral look in his eyes. Just as quick as it came, the moment passed, and Gnarlmaw slipped into a grin, handing a fresh tankard of rum to the newest member of the crew. Gnarlmaw motioned for "The Cutter" to join the rest of the crew standing behind him as he once again called out to the crowd.

"Seeing a 'Mon with such a powerful reputation for his presence on the field of battle join my crew must have bolstered the courage of some of you! Come one now, join me! I don't bite!" Gnarlmaw playfully snapped his jaws a couple times before chuckling, scanning the crowd for any more potential volunteers.

"Assembling a crew, you say?"

A tall, shapely figure lurched into view at the top of the staircase leading to the upper rooms of the tavern, long mane artfully mussed and sea-coat rakishly askew. He half-walked, half-fell down the stairs, miraculously landing on his feet and giving the impression that he had in fact meant to do that, straightening and blowing kisses to the raucous crowd.

"Watch yer purse strings and yer drawers, fellas!" Black Annie, a Liepard captain, roared, gesturing at a server to refill her tankard.

The Primarina grabbed a wine bottle off a nearby serving tray and took a couple of swigs before setting it back down on empty air, and dodged the annoyed cuffs from the beverage's intended recipients. He called greetings to various other personages around the crowded room as he wove over to Gnarlmaw's table; he had a long, thin rapier at his side that he had perhaps miraculously failed to impale himself upon during this entire production.

"My dear captain, Vincero the Duelist, the Poet, the Rapier, the Singer, a lover and a fighter at your service. I find myself suddenly bereft of coin, likely due to my own extreme generosity to the poor and downtrodden"--he hiccuped--"and good friends and a berth are all I require. With some haste, if possible. I have run in to difficulties at the vingt-et-un table."

What Did You Do To Snoke?

Previously Ratbag the Coward
In a tainted house nearby, a group of suspicious looking Pokemon gathered. A Wingull
flew onto one of the houses and hopped from each of the houses, each one getting bigger and bigger, until they reached what might be a former holiday home, but it was tiny, with only one or two rooms. The Wingull nodded as soon as it saw a Rattata and a Raticate crawl into the gutters. The Wingull had no luck fitting through the holes in the house, so it knocked on the door. There, a Banette greeted him. "Ah! Excellent. You have arrived." Her feminine voice spoke as she led him into the stripped down room. There was hardly any furniture in this room and a group of Pokemon just stood there talking to each other, huddled, as a pile of golden coins and treasures hid in the corner.

The group of Pokemon in question consisted of the Rattata and Raticate, the Wingull himself, a Murkrow, the Banette who had led him in, an Octillary, a Carbink, a Cryogonal, a Pangoro, a Dusknoir, a Gabite, a Leavanny, a Scraggy and a Gastly. Each one of them wore pirate gear: black hats and black eyepatches.

"I will contact the others." The Dusknoir was saying as the others nodded.

"Good." The Sableye blinked. "Ah!" He smiled at the Wingull as he joined them.

"I have received word. He is here." The wingull informed them.

"They kind of already know." The Murkrow whispered. "I have scouted out the Wobbly Wingull already. Being a Wingull yourself, I thought you'd hid there."

The Wingull sighed before looking at the Dusknoir. "You told me to find Pellipper and the others. I did. I also scouted out Gnarlmaw's ship..."

"We already knew." The deep voice of Dusknoir's belly mouth spoke. "Anyway, I am in charge here and the plan is already unfolding. Send messages to the others that it is happening." The Dusknoir looked at the Sableye. "Shade, go and meet Gnarlmaw and go forward with the plan. I will go away and find the others with this lot."

"Alright, so the plan is set in motion. If I need my allaby I will just call upon Carbink and Cryogonal. See you all." He blinked before marching out.

"Hope all goes to plan!" The Banette smiled at him.

Minutes later, Shade Jeweleyeski arrived at the Wobbly Wingull in a dark cloth like hood. He ordered a drink before taking off his hood.

Last edited:

Rex

Resident Furry
"Looks like we've got a case of small name, big ego," a voice said wryly.

The speaker was a Dewott, sitting nearby, with his feet propped up on the table. He looked at the motley collection over the rim of his specs; the 'soon-to-be-famous' Feraligatr captain, the temperamental Gallade 'with a reputation,' and the foppish Primarina with a list of titles longer than the Pokemon's mane. Still, if these were what passed for pirates these days, he might be in luck. He dropped his legs back to the floor, causing the chair to thud as its own front legs hit the ground.

He stood, and spoke again, louder this time to ensure the Feraligatr would hear him over the crowd. "As it happens, I find myself in need of a job as well. I have a certain set of skills that might go underappreciated on other pirate vessels." The Dewott motioned towards his dagger with one hand, and his gun with the other, "I'm a smith, made both these pieces. Any weapon, any gun, and tool can be yours so long as I have the time and resources to make it."

A Chatot was spying from the top of the ceiling perched on a curtain hanger. She flew down and sat next to Shade the Sableye. She dropped a piece of paper with a message:

The master says you are to adopt me. I will make you look more convincing! Just let me perch on one of your shoulders and you'll look like a pirate in no time.

Shade nodded, then destroyed the letter by burning it in a furnace. He made sure no one was looking when he popped the letter right in. The Chatot began to perch on his shadowy shoulder and made a humming sound to try and attract Gnarlmaw's attention. Shade turned around and walked in the Feralligator's direction. He had heard rumours about Gnarlmaw, who he was, what he was, for years and years.

Gnarlmaw chuckled at the Dewott's words as he examined the Primarina standing before him. The pompous looking Pokemon certainly had a talent for flair.

"Fancy coat. Fancy talk. Even a fancy blade." Gnarlmaw snorted, chuckling a little to himself. He shook his scaly head, scratching the tip of his snout with a dagger-sharp claw. "Typical popinjay." Gnarlmaw sighed and gestured for the Primarina to join the other crew members. "I'm not one to turn down a crew member, no matter how useless they seem. I'm sure I'll find something for you to do. But," Gnarlmaw grabbed Vincero's shoulder and pulled the Primarina close, "if you try to flee from combat without my command, I'll cut you down myself." Gnarlmaw pulled away from Vincero, flashing a toothy grin.

"As for you," Gnarlmaw turned back to face the Dewott with a glint in his eyes, "your unique skill set could come in handy. You're more than welcome aboard my humble little ship." Gnarlmaw began to extend a scaly hand as an offer to shake the Dewott's hand, but was halted mid-action by the approach of yet another stranger. Gnarlmaw's eyes narrowed as the shady looking figure approached him. "Bloody dark types..." the Feraligatr muttered as he eyed the Sableye cautiously.

"Sorry lads, I've got a pretty full ship as it is. Fifteen sailors for a simple little sloop is more than a little cramped as it is. You'd best be moving along now." Gnarlmaw snorted in disgust and turned away from the duo, facing his current ragtag crew.

Vincero smiled disarmingly, used to this sort of monhandling. He turned on just a flash of the ol' Baby-Doll Eyes, even as he mentally added a notch to his "Get Even Tally", a mental document stuffed with tabs, bookmarks, and mismatched extra pages.

"You wound me, mon capitaine! I assure you, if you catch me running it shall be only into battle or toward a particularly handsome Château de Parfum seizième."

The Primarina fluttered over to join the growing knot of crewmembers.

"I say," he said to the fierce-looking Gallade who had spoken up first to Gnarlmaw's summons, "might you have anything to drink?"

Leon turned his head to the Primarina with a stoic look on his face. "I do, but this is a tavern, you could literally just buy one, or are you broke?" He asked with a shrug. He didn't entirely trust the Primarina, yet why should he; they literally just met and even with that personality of his, he might not be any better than the Machamp he dealt with earlier.

"...Or you could just have the rest of my rum on the table over there." He added as he pointed to the half full tankard on the table in the corner.

He kept his arms folded, although it was difficult to tell as his cloak covered his entire body other than his head. He looked over at the Sableye and Gnarlmaw with a raised eyebrow. "Wonder why that Gnarlmaw guy doesn't want him..." he thought only to shrug it off.

"You're Gnarlmaw right? Yeah, you're going to want me in your ship crew, whether you're accepting new members or not. I have several years experience as a merchant. I know how these sailor boats work. We can work together, intercept the goods and easily feast like kings off of the food they supply. Not only that, but I can help you find an endless supply of diamonds and, most importantly, coin. I have travelled the world you see and I have learnt a number of sneaky tactics which we can use to loot and pillage who or what we wish. I can drive a ship, cook a tasty meal...I have friends in high places...anything is possible...and this Chatot...you won't need to feed it. It's self-sufficient." Shade boasted. "The name's Shade Jeweleyeski." Shade smiled and put his ghostly claw out towards Gnarlmaw.

Gnarlmaw snarled at Shade's out-stretched claw, a low, rumbling hiss emanating from his toothy maw.

"I don't trust your kind. Always sneaking about and prying for secrets." Gnarlmaw cleared his throat, spitting off to the side. "You're the worst kind of scum, just a load of sneaky backstabbers. I've yet to meet a Dark type who can prove my view of them to be wrong." The hulking lizard stepped closer to the Sableye, never breaking eye contact with him.

"So, Shade," Gnarlmaw uttered the name with another hiss as he leaned down to put his face right in front of Shade's, "What makes you different, hmm? Why should I put any of my faith in you?"

Rex

Resident Furry
The Dewott crossed his arms and leaned back on his heels. The Feraligatr seemed as unimpressed with the Primarina as he was, though Dodger did think the Gnarlmaw was pushing it a bit. You didn't survive in Rabua Bay without some sort of rough-and-tumble backstory, there might just be more to that dandy than met the eye. Still, Dodger didn't intend to get on anyone's bad side in particular, if the captain inspired a mutiny, well, the Dewott would just have to be sure of what side he was on. As it was, both the Primarina and the Dewott would in fact be sailing together. The captain even offered to shake on it, before he got distracted by another Pokemon.

Dodger, of course, listened in to the conversation, his ears weren't just for show after all. Apparently, there were already fifteen of them. Either the Feraligatr was bluffing or there had been some recruitment effort ongoing before the boisterous call to action went out in this particular tavern. He racked his brain for any information he'd heard about sloops in particular. They were single mast ships, fast and maneuverable, with a shallow keel that allowed them to sail into shallow waters where heavier warships could not follow. Highly sought after by pirates and merchants alike. They weren't the longest of ships, either, fifteen would be a bit of a squeeze. But then, twelve probably would be as well, especially if they were all larger Pokemon like the Gallade and Primarina, or, Arceus forbid, the Feraligatr. Dodger, being a Dewott, was much shorter, and the Sableye was shorter still.

The Sableye in question was trying to appeal to the pirate's greed, claiming they could leverage their experience as a merchant to greater profits. Dodger wasn't sure he followed, shipping lanes were shipping lanes, not exactly closely held secrets, but hey, good on the Sableye trying. Still, seemed their captain had some deep seated racism against Dark Types, odd for a line that was probably only not Dark itself by some quirk of evolution, comparing it to other similar Pokemon like Krookodile. But then, racism was never a logical standpoint, and attempting to apply logic to it was a fallacy in of itself.

At this point, he glanced over towards the Primarina and the Gallade, who seemed to have struck up something of a conversation. That was a surprise in of itself, as well. He'd expected the Gallade to be more antisocial. Arms still crossed, the Dewott started wandering in the direction of his fellow crewmates, away from his new captain and the Sableye. Still, he kept one ear turned towards the Feraligatr, to catch any further bit of the discussion. He was interested in hearing just how this Pokemon intended to win Gnarlmaw over, or if he still intended to after that last remark.

"Capital, my good fellow! Cheers!" Vincero said, delighted, and threw back the rest of the Gallade's grog. His survival sense warred with drunken affability and won, and he refrained from clapping the Gallade on the shoulder.

He began preying on other unattended cups as attention turned to the standoff between Gnarlmaw and the Sableye. The Primarina didn't mind Dark types at all-- why, a little puff of Fairy energy and they tended to run off immediately, although it was true that one needed to keep a grip on one's valuables around them. It was Electrics that one needed to worry about, nasty laughing fellows who'd be all smiles one moment, and then in a blink scarpering off with one's purse while the victim stood paralyzed. Dreadful.

The Sableye had a bird with him as well-- not entirely unusual, as a small Pokemon was a useful partner for many types of grifts and swindles, and as a lookout. Still. Vincero watched them, sipping someone else's ginger beer.

Shade was utterly shocked deep down with what Gnarlmaw had to say in response to Shade's monologue about how great he was. Had Gnarlmaw not listened to him? In response to Gnarlmaw's final comments, Shade seemed desperate. "Did you not hear what I said about my skills? Many pirates have wanted to have me aboard because of my superb ship driving skills and coin pillaging. I have a stash...I can show you it if you'd like to." Then Shade dropped his hands onto his body. He had to address the first thing Gnarlmaw had said about Dark types. "You are wrong. Not all dark types are bad and I'm one of the good ones. I don't want no trouble. I just want to help. Dark types can indeed do tremendous good. In fact, you should fill your ship up with them right away. They make better pirates than water types, being able to loot and bring back coin in the tons. All the ones I've met have never betrayed me!" He looked around. "To think, I heard good things about you Gnarlmaw. People were singing your praises here and there...to think I'd have to tell them you are a racist, they'd abandon your ship at the first go...and, it's fair to say the rumours I have heard are just rumours. Will you not show me that none of the good rumours are true? I'll have to tell anyone that ever lived you're a phoney...no one will ever want to join you...do you want that? Do you? Do you really want that?" Shade moved his intimidating face towards Gnarlmaw's as Shade hopped onto a table, his eyes locked towards Gnarlmaw's.

Gnarlmaw continued to scowl at Shade, his gaze unwavering.

"I don't know what these 'good' rumors are, but I can tell you they're dreadfully false. I've pillaged more ships and killed more men than you could count!" Gnarlmaw began to reach to his side, his clawed fingers wrapping around the stock oh his blunderbuss. His eyes shifted toward the weapon as he ran a scaly finger along a crudely carved symbol in the wood. His expression seemed to shift through a wide variety of emotions for just a split second before he turned back to Shade with a resigned sigh.

"You're lucky I take after my old cap'n, Shade. Otherwise you'd be dead right where you stand." Gnarlmaw's hand dropped from the weapon. "Besides, I've got bigger fish to fry." The old water type scratched his head. "You can join the crew on three conditions!" Three clawed fingers shot up from Gnarlmaw's hand. "First, no stealing from crew mates! Second, no touching the helm without my word. You won't be piloting no ship of mine. Finally, lose the Chatot. There will be no need of it at sea, and we don't need another mouth to feed." Gnarlmaw stretched out his arm, offering his hand for Shade to shake. "That's my offer."

Last edited:

Shade seem to agree with most of the terms. "Don't mind me, I won't be stealing from anybody BUT your enemies! We can destroy them together!" Then Shade addressed the second term. "I won't go near the helm, don't worry, but I'll need to find another place to specialise in." The third term was the hardest to address. "This Chatot won't need to be fed. She's very much self sufficient, able to feed herself off plants and bits of fish from the sea. I can teach her not to be so annoying if you're afraid of that. It would also make a good scout..." Shade moved his claw close to Gnarlmaw's arm ready to shake it.

Gnarlmaw sighed as he rolled his reptilian eyes.

"Fine. You can keep the Chatot with you. For now." With those words, Gnarlmaw reached out and grasped the Sableye's hand, shaking it. "Welcome aboard. Prove me wrong, Shade." Gnarlmaw's handshake was brief, just a few quick pumps before pulling his hand away. Turning back to the crew, Gnarlmaw snagged a tankard from a nearby table and raised it high.

"Tomorrow, we set sail and become legendary scourges of the sea! But tonight, we drink!" Gnarlmaw slammed the tankard back, downing all the rum in one gulp before tossing some Coin to the table he had stolen the drink from. With a loud hurrah, a majority of the Pokemon in Gnarlmaw's crew rushed to the bar, eager to begin drinking.

Meanwhile, a shadowy figure who had been hiding from sight scurried into the night accompanied by the sound of chitenous clicking...

Last edited:

"There's a good captain!!" Shade yelled as he shook Gnarlmaw's hand. He ordered a tankard of drink from a dancing Ludicolo barman and gulped it down. It wasn't really alcoholic but it was enough to fit in with the other crew. He raised the metal tankard and banged it against each of the crew's tankards. "To Gnarlmaw, I toast!" He exclaimed. "This will be the finest pirates crew that ever set sail! We will feast in the glory of many Coin and none shall stop us! Those who will try shall fall hard at our wrath!" Shade smiled and gave a cackling laugh. Shade looked around at the other new crew members, the ones Gnarlmaw had literally just recruited in front of his eyes. "Come on lads, join in!" He exclaimed. Shade seemed to be having fun but deep down he wasn't that sort of guy.

The Cutter looked around at Gnarlmaw's crew which he was now a part of. He snapped his fingers and a bar maid came and gave the Gallade a tankard of rum. Where the rest downed theirs in only a few swigs, The Cutter took his time to enjoy his drink. "Try not to spill any of your drink; some people will be very upset if you do." He stated as he took another small swig and raised his tankard to toast. "To a thrilling adventure of excitement and profit!" He exclaimed. The Cutter enjoyed the company of everyone... for people he only just met, but he can't help being a thrill seeker every now and then.

Vincero found himself puffing a little sigh of relief once Gnarlmaw accepted the Sableye. He had a little voice in his head--well, many voices, to tell truth--but this one was the one that warned him about a knife at someone's belt or accomplices around the corner, and it had started humming as more and more eyes had turned toward the two pirates. When they'd finally slapped paws, the release of tension had been like a shield move bursting, and he had to wonder what all had been riding on the acceptance of Shade to the crew.

Vincero licked at his empty cup. Ugh. Sobriety made him introspective. A dreadful habit.

The Primarina staggered over to the bar, tipping the mixed swill on the leather barmat into his tankard. "Gnarlmaw! Hoorah, fellows!"

Rex

Resident Furry
Well, it seemed like all had been settled after all. The captain caved remarkably quickly to all the Sableye's requests when it was all said and done. They'd even be bringing the Chatot, who thus far hadn't said anything and was apparently planning on being decoration for the Sableye rather than a contributing member of the crew. Different strokes for different folks, Dodger supposed, but he still thought that was weird. It was a Pokemon just like the rest of them, not some base animal!

The Sableye lead a toast to their captain, much of the crew swilling some tankard or other, of grog, presumably. The Dewott noted with some apprehension that he'd probably end up having to get used to the taste of that once they were out on the open ocean. That would be a problem for future Dodger though, right now, he had options. While most of the crew seemed content to grab drinks from the roving wait staff, the Dewott followed the Primarina to the bar itself, climbing up into the chair next to the larger Water Type.

"Bumbo, straight," he ordered, and was soon rewarded with a small glass of his own. The rocks glass, as it was known, was a little more than half the size of the tankards, with a wide brim and thick base. As opposed to the rum grog, with its light, almost yellowish, orange tint, the drink inside was a deep red-orange. The Dewott picked up the glass, and studied the drink momentarily.

"Here's to luck," he said simply, almost too quiet to be heard over the din of the tavern, before drinking the entire glass.