• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Ubers Lugia Moveset

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aeroblast
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Roost

This moveset works a lot better than what I originally thought. You start off with Lugia and you keep Calm Mind-ing, using Roost if the situation calls for it. Multiscale will prevent first-turn knockouts, and since most Dark types in Ubers are Special attackers, you can sit on the field with 4x Sp. Atk and Sp. Def. At that point, you resort to using Aeroblast primarily and Earth Power when Rock, Steel, or Electric types try to slow you down.

Now this set up is not without it's flaws- first turn Knock Off or a Zekrom can take it out rather quickly. Also, even with 4x Sp. Atk, Aeroblast isn't guaranteed to OHKO everything it comes up against. But even then, I was able to win loads of Ubers matches with this set.

Any suggestions on how I can make this better? Any ideas if I could translate this on to another Pokemon/Tier? Any obvious weaknesses that I missed?

I'd suggest running 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef with a Bold nature as Calm Mind allows you to boost your already massive Special Defense, with the allocated EVs increasing your overall bulkiness and allowing even better Physical tanking. It also lets Leftovers heal you more efficiently. Even with STAB, Aeroblast and its low PP can easily be stalled out with the numerous Pressure users. Ice Beam is a decent pick as it has slightly less power, more PP, and will hit most of the Uber tier super-effectively.

Substitute is great on this set because it will help block status(as you are completely screwed by Toxic) and with continuous Calm Minds, will be harder and harder to take down. Toxic is good for crippling tanks that want to just annoy you to hell and back because you'll run out of offensive capabilities soon enough. Thunder Wave is another option if you want to hinder fast sweepers, or alternatively allow you to set up/heal potentially for free.