• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS umbreon

I need some advice on an umbreon I am about to train. I wouldnt normally use a pokemon with its type or stats and am unfamiliar with either. I would like all the advice you can give like movesets, strategies and even evs. Thanks guys.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
First thing to note about Umbreon is that it has almost no offensive capabilities, and as such should not wield any offensive move without a defensive purpose (Payback and Dig only, basically.) Umbreon wishes it had around 10 moveslots though, so without further ado...

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Careful
Synchronize

- Toxic
- Wish/Rest
- Protect/Taunt/Dig
- Heal Bell/Mean Look

Note that Wish and Protect should always be used alongside each other, while Rest doesn't need Protect quite as much. Toxic is Umbreon's best method for dealing damage, and as such is standard if you want Umbreon to be doing any damage at all. Wish and Rest are your best options for healing, Protect + Wish is basically the same as Recover in terms of self-healing, with the added bonus of letting Toxic tick for an extra turn. Taunt will block moves such as Rest and Recover on Pokemon trying to heal off Toxic's damage, as well as bar opponents from setting up on Umbreon should a sweeper end up switching into a Taunt. Dig is basically a slightly less effective Protect that does damage, although Earthquake users will brutalize you, so it's not as reliable as Protect overall although it does let you hit Steel and Poison-types that are immune to Toxic. Finally, Heal Bell will support your team by removing status effects and also works well with Synchronize, whilst Mean Look will trap the opponent and force them to suffer the full effects of Toxic's increasing damage.

ok, thanks alot man that really helps me alot. I am used to using speedy pokemon with alot of attacking moves, this really shows me some tips with usage of defensive pokemon. I will be sure to use toxic and protect/dig.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Umbreon @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Bold/Impish Nature
Synchronize
-Yawn
-Mean Look
-Wish / Heal Bell
-Baton Pass
252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 S. DEF

Team supporter that doesn't use Toxic. This umbreon won't be doing any damage at all and is unfortunately susceptible to Taunt.. but only to a small extent [explained below]. The advantage to using an umbreon without Toxic is catching your opponent off-guard, as most umbreon do carry toxic.

Guts Machamp, Poison Heal Breloom and Lucario are all fairly common and happen to be prime switch-ins for an Umbreon using toxic. All three have Super-effective fighting STAB, and Machamp gets a nice power boost from Toxic. Of course, there are several other pokemon that can switch into poison without problem, but I'd say these are the biggest worries.

Send Umbreon out on anything that can't significantly harm it and use Yawn. Chances are your opponent will have switched to something in anticipation for Toxic. Yawn now gives your opponent a tough choice; switch again, or be put to sleep for attacking. This is what I meant by taunt not being too huge of a problem since taunting umbreon means falling asleep.

What happens from here depends largely on your opponent and whether they want to stay in on Yawn. In most cases, your opponent will opt to switch again, but Mean Look is still your best option.

With your now trapped opponent, you can immediately baton pass the Mean Look to a set up pokemon if it doesn't need healing, or if you don't think Umbreon can survive through two hits. You can opt to Yawn again and try to put the pokemon to sleep if your opponent decided to switch. There's lots of options from this point and I think I've said enough by now XD

Oh right. The EVs + Nature I listed will prevent umbreon from being OHKO'd by most attacks. A few calculations to show this:
Adamant Breloom w/ Focus Punch = 91.9% - 108.6%
Adamant Machamp w/ Dynamicpunch = 61.4% - 73.1%
Modest Lucario w/ Aura Sphere = 59.9% - 70.6%
Choice Band Adamant Breloom w/ Superpower = 111.2% - 131.0%
Choice Band Adamant Machamp w/ Dynamicpunch = 91.9% - 108.6%
Choice Specs Modest Lucario w/ Aura Sphere = 89.8% - 105.6%