• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Unova: Trainer's Path to Mastery

D

Deleted member 284192

Recently certified pokemon trainer Griff, stood at the cusp of Nuvema Town. The sun gleamed light into his glasses. His hair was shaped in his typical morning bedhead. He wore his navy blue sweatshirt, on top of a ragged white tee shirt. The shirt had a classic red poke ball design and aside it was the signature of the once great champion of Unova, Alder. Further down the boy's brown khakis and standing by his worn old red shoes stood a Tepig, with a rather confused look on It's face. Griff had named this Tepig Bone Crusher. Most people could agree it wasn't a pleasant or suitable name, but nonetheless Griff insisted that it sounded cool.

The thirteen year old boy and his Tepig peered out into Route 1 of the Unova region. It's true, Griff planned to assemble a team of strong and reliable pokemon, collect all of Unova's gym badges, and fight for the title of Champion; but with all the pent up anxiety of starting his journey, he stood by route 1 a little more than overwhelmed.

He looked down to Bone Crusher. "So what do we do?" he asked his companion. "Just charge in head first?"

The Tepig looked back up to Griff with a look of concern. Griff was suppose to be his leader and yet the kid seemed clueless.

Griff scratched his his scalp and said, "I guess so." He scooped up Bone Crusher with one arm and took his first step into the adventure.

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
Ben dashed out of the professor's lab with his newly received oshawott in his arms and his old friend Lucario at his side. He was ecstatic to start another journey in a new region, and could not wait for unnecessary things like "preparing necessary items to be in the wild" or anything like that.
As he was running to route 1, he noticed another trainer walking down with a tepig in his arm
He must be starting his journey too he thought
Unfortunately he was moving too fast and nearly fell over trying to stop near the trainer. Sighing at his trainers zeal, Lucario held his scarf with one hand to prevent Ben from faceplanting into the dirt. His oshawott jumped out of his arms into Lucario's, deciding it was safer there.
After a fit of coughing, Ben faced the trainer with a embarrassed smile
"Uhhh, Hi? Sorry about that. Did you start your journey recently too? My name is Ben, by the way."

D

Deleted member 284192

Griff turned to meet eyes with the other trainer. His brow scrunched as he took time to examine Ben and the two pokemon. This created an unfortunately long and awkward silence. When Griff realized that the trainer owned a Lucario and was probably a good deal experienced in pokemon training, he saw the potential in making allies with Ben and mooching off of him for tips and pointers.

Griff pushed his glasses up, and suddenly hunched forward with an intense expression on his face. That expression soon changed into a goofy grin as Griff reached his hand out to shake, with his other arm still hanging onto his Tepig.

"Hey, nice to meet you Ben. My name's Griffin; you can call me Griff. We should probably stick together, okay?" Griff spoke too quickly, to a degree where he couldn't even keep up with himself.

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
"Uhhh.." ben said as the trainer stared at him intensely.
He turned to face Lucario, who shrugged in response. This guy wasn't hostile.
Suddenly the trainer s=changed expressions and said something so fast Ben nearly didn't catch it.
Ben stood silently as he tried to comprehend the rapid-fire words that were said to him.
"Huh?" he finally responded " Err, hi Griff. What do you mean by stick together? We literally just met."
Oshawott was staring down the tepig, trying to assert dominance, probably.

D

Deleted member 284192

Bone Crusher the Tepig noticed the Oshawott's glare, and recognized it from the professor's lab. It gave off a puzzled expression

Griff pulled the arm he had extended for a handshake behind him and rubbed his head. "Heh, Whoops. Sorry. Guess I forgot how to make friends for a second there."

As Griff backed off from Ben to give the trainer some personal space, his foot landed into a longer patch of grass that a wild Patrat had been resting in. The Patrat screeched viciously and dashed up into the air. Griff swung around to face the wild pokemon, but lost his balance and fell onto the ground. As he fell he tossed his unprepared Tepig into battle.

"W-what now??" Griff asked to himself. Bone Crusher looked back at Griff, just as unsure as it's trainer. "An attack? Right, an attack." He whipped his ever so large bag in front of him and began scrambling through it, looking for the Pokedex he recently acquired from the Pokemon Lab.

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
Uh-oh, now I made him uncomfortable thought Ben, then flinched at the shriek from something.
He saw the angry patrat leap from the grass and his eyes sparkled with excitement
"Wow, a unova pokemon!" he said as he rose his arm in front of his face "Rotom, pokedex scan." he commanded.
A robotic voice came from the stylus on his arm. "Affirmative". With a quiet whirring, the stylus opened up, and on the inner screen an image of a patrat appeared.
"Patrat. The scout pokemon. Extremely cautious, one of them will always be on the lookout. but it won't notice a foe coming from behind." the voice said.
"Thanks rotom." Ben said. He saw the other trainer scramble through his bag with his tepig staring at him.
"Um, do you need help?" he asked, concerned.

D

Deleted member 284192

Griff pulled out his Pokedex, hoping he could use it to figure out what attacks his Tepig could use. He was so caught up in the moment, he hadn't even heard Ben's offer to help.

Griff wasn't too sure on how to use his Pokedex yet. "Uh, Pokedex... How do I battle?" It was too late for any tutorials however, as the Patrat was charging toward Bone Crusher. The tepig got ready for a command. Sweat began running down the new trainer's skin. "Uh, t-t-tepig... U-use... pound?" Tepig looked back to Griff with utter confusion.

The wild patrat scatched Bone Crusher right on it's forehead, sending the tepig rolling to Griff's feet. The pokemon ran off into the wilderness.

D

Deleted member 284192

Griff kneeled down to scoop up Bone Crusher. He took a minute to stare down at his injured Tepig. He choked down all the feelings of guilt, embarrassment, and frustration, stood up and faced Ben with his goofy grin. "Don't worry about me. We gotta head over to the pokecenter."
He turned away and pointed forward. "There's one further up the route in Accumula."

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
"Sure" said Ben.
He looked over to his Lucario, who looked concerned. Despite his grin, the new trainer must be feeling horrible.
After returning oshawott into his arms, Ben started walking to the next town, then noticed a little pokemon staring at him in the grass
"What is that? Rotom, pokedex scan." he commanded again.
After a moment, the stylus opened and said in the same robotic voice
"Lillipup. The Puppy pokemon. It faces strong opponents with great courage. But, when at a disadvantage in a fight, this intelligent Pokémon flees."
The lillipup was staring right at Ben and his oshawott.
Ben grinned excitedly "You go ahead, I think this pokemon wants to battle. I'll catch up." he lowered his pokemon on the floor.
"You ready oshawott?" he asked
The pokemon responded with a happy cry and went into battle stance.

D

Deleted member 284192

Griff noticed the lillipup. He looked back to Ben who was obviously excited for the new Pokemon encounter. He extended his arm for an enthusiastic thumbs up. "Alright, good Luck then."
Griff took off with Bone Crusher in one arm and his other hand grasping onto his backpack strap.
Entering Accumula wasn't a big deal to Griff. Since it was neighboring his home town of Nuvema, he spent nearly the same amount of time playing around with the kids in Accumula as he did in Nuvema.
He passed by a few folk and pokemon he was familiar with. Big Burly Mr. Russell the head of the local moving company and his equally as strong companion Throh had walked into Griff and ended up teasing the new trainer about being too short for a pokemon adventure.
Griff saw elderly Mrs. Cheverly who was out watering plants in her garden with her maractus. He made sure to avoid her, knowing fully well that engaging in a conversation with her would cause the lady to begin reminiscing about her trainer days, and Griff simply didn't have the time.
Griff entered the pokemon center to see Accumula's Nurse Joy front and center at the nursery station, with an Audino beside her. Griff recalled fond memories of having a crush on the nurse, and she'd always respond to it a bit cruelly.
As Griff approached the desk, Nurse Joy smiled and greeted him. "Hello Griff. I'm glad to see you have finally begun your own pokemon journey."
"Finally?!" Griff felt a bit insulted.
"Well most set off nearly eight months ago." The nurse maintained a vibrant smile on her face.
Griff plopped his tepig onto the desk. "Yeah, yeah. I had some stuff to sort out. Could you just heal up my tepig please?"
"Of course." Bone Crusher stared at the audino, unsure as the pink pokemon picked it up. "Does your tepig have a name?"
Griff smirked. "Oh yeah. His name is Bone Crusher."
"Pardon?" Nurse Joy tried hard to keep her smile, but was absolutely baffled at the boy's response.
"Bone Crusher. I named my tepig Bone Crusher."
The Nurse paused for a minute, questioning Griff's taste for names. "That's... a lovely name."
"Lovely wasn't exactly what I was going for, but I'm glad you like it."
"Why don't you take a seat over there while we get, Um-" She paused. "Bone Crusher healed up."
"Thanks Nurse Joy." Griff walked took a seat at the waiting area. He glanced over at tepig who was currently being taken care of. The new trainer was sure that he already blew it already. He wasn't sure how his tepig could ever trust him again after that display back at route 1.
Griff then wondered where Ben might be. "I wonder if he caught that lillipup?" He said allowed to himself

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
Suddenly, Ben burst through the center doors.
He was beat up, dirty, slightly limping, and with a face full of joy.
Meanwhile his Lucario walked in the center, easy as you please, seemingly not worried that his trainer was beat up and potentially crazy.
“Nurse! Nurse! Nursenursenursenurse!” he was talking frantically, as if on some kind of high. “Please heal these two” he placed two pokeballs on the counter.
He faced the other trainer and waved “I caught it dude! I caught it!”

D

Deleted member 284192

The nurse paused for a minute at the sight of Ben. She then came back to her senses. "Right away" she said as she took the two pokeballs.
Griff jolted out of his seat grinned and gave ben a thumbs up. "Nice!"
He pushed his glasses up and upon further inspection of the trainer an array of confusion came over Griff.
"Wait a second, what are you all bruised up for?"
He looked over to Ben's lucario. "Who exactly was doing the battling?"

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
Ben laughed "Oh, this? Oshawott and lillipup had a close match. A minute after catching her, I tried to hug her. She didn't appreciate it."
Ben shrugged "With how little they are, it's easy to forget wild pokemon are -well- wild. I'll be fine, nothing a heal pulse can't fix" he nodded to Lucario, who had bright magenta waves coming from his hands/paws.
As the aura surrounded him, he dusted his clothes off.
"So, I've been thinking. About your offer to 'Stick together'. "he grinned "It would be nice to have a human companion for once. I'm fine with traveling with you. Unless you changed your mind?"

D

Deleted member 284192

"Oh yeah? You wanna do that?" Griff looked excited.
"Griff, your tepig is healthy and ready" Nurse Joy called from her desk.
Griff went up and retrieved Bone Crusher's pokeball from Audino. "Thanks."
He watched the pokeball he was grasping for a second, then looked back to ben. "Can I be frank Ben? I have know idea what I'm doing, but I've really gotta get stronger." A familiar intense expression came back to his face. "I don't know where you came from. I don't really know who you are, But you've gotta teach me how to battle." He held up his pokeball. "with pokemon, I mean."

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
Hearing the request, Ben stood quietly and thought about it.
"So that would make me your mentor then correct?" he grinned widely "Of course, I'll be glad to show you how to battle with pokemon."
The nurse joy came back "Umm, sir? Your pokemon are healed and ready."
"Gotcha" said Ben, as he walked to get his pokemon, he continued "First things first, you need to understand your pokemon. I don't mean to be offensive, but judging from you telling tepig to use pound, you must not know about your tepig's capabilities as of the moment. He stuffed one of his pokeballs in his pocket, and held the other out.
"What do you say we go somewhere and send these guys out, I need to get used to lillipup as well."

D

Deleted member 284192

Griff formed a grin when he heard Ben's offer for a pokemon battle. "Absolutely."
In the blink of an eye Griff dashed for the doors of the pokemon center. "Follow me Mr. Mentor. I know the perfect place."
The boy headed for a park near the center of the town. He took off so fast he failed to consider whether Ben was actually keeping up.

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
"Wow he's fast" Ben said to Lucario, stunned.
Quickly shaking it off, he and Lucario dashed behind griff.
As they neared the park, Ben panted "Slow down dude. The pokemon are going to get the workout, not me."

Simon is a young boy who just turned 10, the age that children can choose to go on a journey of their own with their Pokemon partners beside them. Simon had just began his journey with his only Pokemon; Axew.
He entered the Pokemon centre looking in a mirror. He donned a purple karate gi, some sandals and a violet token bag. He had a mop of dark olive hair and amber eyes. Simon was waiting for Nurse Joy to come back with his Solosis when he saw two trainers rather noisily rush out of the Pokemon centre, they looked to be his age.

"There you go, Axew is happy and well."
Simon swivelled to face Nurse Joy.
"Thank you Nurse Joy. Me and Axew appreciate it."
"No problem." I couldn't help but notice that you are a novice trainer." Simon shook his head in agreement.
"Well I would suggest catching up to those boys who just left right now; trust me travelling in a group is always easier than going solo."
Nurse Joy smiled.
"I don't know. I hardly know them."
"Just a thought." She replied.
"Thanks for the advice Nurse Joy, Bye." He said while exiting the Pokemon centre.

The 10 year old walked down the quiet streets of Accumula, there was the odd person or two but not really many people especially since it was a small town. Simon tried to enjoy the quaintness of home town life before diving head first into a Pokemon journey.
'Vrooop!' Axew popped out of its Poke ball and ran down the path like it didn't have a care in the world.
"Hi there little fella."
Simon rubbed its smooth green scales, Axew jumped around with joy.
"So, where are we heading."
Axew pointed in the direction of the park
"Your right! Yes lets head to the park, there is a really nice fountain there and we can get some Casteliacomes and they just built a battle field so maybe there will be some trainers there we could battle. So how 'bout it?"
Solosis did a somersault mid-air its eyes glimmering with excitement.

Casteliacones come get your Casteliacones.'
"Did I hear Casteliacone, quick Solosis race you over that hill."
Hey! No fair you already got as head start."
"Phew... I'm all out of breath. I guess you beat me here Axew."
Solosis gave a triumphant Bloooop'.
The person behind the voice was an old man pushing a refrigerator on wheels, iwnside could only be delicious Casteliacones.
'Oh, hello there young man would you care for some mouthwatering Casteliacones, made with fresh Moo-Moo milk.'
"
Would I ever." Simon drooled at the thought of wolfing down every single piece of the creamy confectionery. Solosis had the exact same thoughts.
'Okay then, that'll be 120 poke dollars please.'
"Here." Simon gave the bank notes to the old man in exchange for 6 Casteliacones, 3 for him and 3 for Axew.

'Oh my my my....'
"Hmm... Is something wrong Sir?"
'Yes my back its driving me crazy, pushing this heavy cart all day really take a toll on your body especially when you're this old.'
"
I could push it for you."
'Yes that would be wonderful, I'm heading to the battle field just up ahead is that okay with you.'
"Thats fine. In fact i could do with a battle since I am novice trainer after all." Simon explained.

Eventually the two made it to the battle field.
If you need me I'll be selling Casteliacones here everyday.'
"
Okay Sir It was nice meeting you."

"Well Axew we made it to the battle field, lets go find some trainers and battle!

Last edited:
Sitting on a bench near the battlefield sat a boy named Ace with his Pidove. “I wish you were strong enough to fight those starters Joseph.”. “Pidove!” It said in frustration. “Hmm?” Ace wondered. He then turned to see Joseph glaring at him. “Sorry bud, your just too weak to fight them.” He said. Joseph flew high and saw the Solosis. He smiled and stared at Ace. “Don’t you dare!” Ace said. “Pidooooooove!” It said as it flew at directly at the Solosis. Ace went running after Joseph but Joseph flew faster and went over to the Solosis. “Pidoooooove!” It roared at the Solosis.

(OOC: Sorry for the late reply, I have since changed my my OCs name to Drago and his Pokemon from Solosis to Axew I hope this is Okay)

'AXEEW EW EW.' Axew jumped out of its trainers arms and hid behind his leg in shock from the Pidove.

"Huh, a Pidove." Drago said. 'I wonder if it has a trainer. I don't see anyone?' He thought to himself, then he noticed Axew. "Aww Axew You're not scared aren't you. This Pidove can't hurt you look its so cute." He said while stroking the Pidove.

"Ok thats it, I'm going to catch this Pidove. Goo Poke Ball!" Drago threw the Poke Ball towards Pidove.

(OOC: If you did not understand Drago saw Pidove but did not see Ace and is trying to catch Pidove because he thinks it is wild, its up to you weather the Poke Ball actually connects or not.)

Laila was sitting on a bench eating a casteliacone right outside the battlefield with her Ivy, her Snivy, when she saw Drago take out a Pokeball to catch Ace's Pidove. She quickly stood up. "Ivy, I think he's about to steal that Pidove!"
Ivy looked up to see where her trainer was gesturing. Laila quickly stood up, nearly dropping her casteliacone on her purple jacket. "Quick, Ivy! Use vine whip to knock that Pokeball to the ground!"
The Snivy jumped out in the direction of Drago and his Axew and did just that, causing the Pokeball to slam to the ground, breaking. Laila had soon run by her side, casteliacone still in hand, to confront Drago. "Hey, that Pidove you tried to catch has a trainer!"
"Snivy!" Ivy remarked, as if agreeing with her trainer. Each had rather serious looks on their faces.

"Wait what! Drago said surprised.
"I'm so sorry I never realised it had a trainer."

"Axeeew." The tusk pokemon bent its head down apologetically.

Laila reached up and scratched her head, and her expression relaxed some. "I suppose that if you didn't know, it's okay. Ivy and I thought you were going to try and steal his Pidove."

Ivy nodded in agreement, her expression now also more relaxed.

"I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions like that," she apologized.

"Oh no its totally ok I would react the same way if i saw someone trying to steal a Pokemon."

Drago looked over at Snivy. "So did'ya get that Snivy from Professor Juniper?" Drago asked.

Axew ran over to Snivy dancing around and jumping up and down. "Axeeew." It said greeting the grass type.

She nodded. "I did, about a couple weeks ago."

"Sni!" Ivy swished her tail back and forth a few times, greeting the dragon type back.

She then looked over to his Axew. "You don't see very many Axew around here. Did you get him up north?" she asked in turn.

AlolanOreo

Previously pocky ✨
Nic was sitting on a bench nearby. Admittedly, she'd been a little astonished when the girl had intervened, but she didn't mind and observed them with Pikachu sitting on her lap. She looked into her backpack and at her four Poké Balls, one of them being Pikachu's empty Ball, and then back up at the scene, lightly stroking Pikachu on the head.

"Absolutely! I've wanted to be a Pokemon trainer and take on the challenge for a long time, but only just now got the chance to. Now that I finally am a trainer, I think that taking on the challenge would be one of the best ways to travel the region and become better."

"Wow Laila that is quite the ambition! My dream is to become the greatest dragon master of all time and I would love to travel the region as well!
Drago thought about how much there was out there to explore, he knew the world was waiting for him and Axew.

AlolanOreo

Previously pocky ✨
Nic jumped a slight bit at hearing this, surprising Pikachu a little as well. She laughed mentally. 'These two just met and are already friends while I've been traveling for... how long, already? I forgot. And I haven't been able to make one friend to travel with,' Nic thought, a little ruefully, perhaps, but also slightly entertained somehow.

"Thats a great idea the more the merrier." He laughed.
"Im so stoked for this adveture." Hey Laila mind if we have a battle?"

Axew jumped on Snivy giving it a hug.

AlolanOreo

Previously pocky ✨
Nic looked down at Pikachu. "This should be interesting," she murmured with a smile. "Shall we go and watch?"
"Pika," Pikachu whispered, looking at the trainers and Pokémon.
"Okay. Once it starts, we can walk over," Nic told Pikachu quietly, patting her on the head as she looked back up at the trainers and Pokémon.

AlolanOreo

Previously pocky ✨
Nic perked up a little. She stood up and walked over to them. "I could be the referee," she offered, tone friendly.
"Pika, pika!" Pikachu confirmed, smiling.

"Good with me as well." Then Drago noticed Nic's Pikachu.
"A Pikachu!" He squealed "I've never seen one in Unova before. Hey there little one." He said.
Drago squished Pikachu's red cheek pouches.

AlolanOreo

Previously pocky ✨
Nic chuckled. "I brought her from Kanto. That's where we're both originally from." She smiled.
"Pikapi," Pikachu greeted cheerfully. She didn't mind her cheek pouches being squished.