• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What Animal, or Creature would you like to see, as a Pokémon?

Rio1ink

Formerly Derpy Lucario
What Animal, or Creature would you like to see as a Pokémon?
Me myself would like to see Capricorn as a Pokémon. One because It is my zodiac, and Two is because It already looks like a monster, so I'd like to see how GameFreak would make it even more monster-ier.
images

(Edit: Please, do not post people's work uncredited and without their permission)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also like to see a Pokemon based of Capricorn, because I’m also a Capricorn in the zodiac XD I’d also like Pokemon based of the other zodiac signs, like Sagittarius, Leo or Pisces. They could do a eeveelution type thing were a Pokemon could evolve into one of the zodiac signs, if you understand what I mean XD
An Ice/Water Pokemon based on a Beluga Whale would also be really cool, or a Water/Dark Pokemon based on a Sperm Whale.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Dolphins were always high up on my list, and still are. I'm surprised we don't have one yet, too! But eventually, maybe. Hopefully. *crosses fingers*

I agree that Pokemon based off the zodiac would be cool~ I remember seeing some fanmons of them in the past and just thinking about it again makes me really hopeful they'll be a thing.

One other thing I really want as a Pokemon is the Qilin/Kirin (not the giraffe, the east Asian mythical creature). I'm not sure what typing it'd be, though being part dragon wouldn't be a surprise.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
You know, I'm willing to swear we already have a thread like this. But since I can't find it right now I'll let this one be - if I'll find it, this will be merged into it.

Also, SquirtleLover: Pokémon already eat other Pokémon and always have. Also, we do have an anteater Pokémon - and an ant, to boot.

But yeah. Back on topic. There is an effload of fascinating creatures on this planet that totally deserve some kind of Pokémon representation, and here's a few examples:

The Bombardier Beetle

Those of you who know me probably expected these things to be the first creature I'd mention, if only because they practically already are Pokémon. Bombardier Beetles are known for their rather unique defense mechanism - when threatened, they pump two different chemicals (hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide, if you care) from two different reservoirs in their abdomen to a reaction chamber at the tip of their abdomen. These chemicals react with each other and assorted enzymes lining the reaction chamber's walls in an immensely exothermic manner - producing a noxious, boiling jet of fluid which the beetle uses as a defensive weapon.

Bombardier.jpg

In other words, nature basically invented Scald - even though as a Pokémon I can totally imagine this thing as a Bug/Fire instead.

More Spiders, Damnit

I'm one of the few people out there who firmly believe that spiders are amazing, adorable creatures and that there should be more of them.

"But we already have Ariados and Galvantula", I hear you cry, to which I retort "Yes, yes, shut up, there's an ass-load of canine Pokemon and fish pokemon and I don't see you complaining about those."

But okay, I'll bite. if Spinarak/Ariados represent more web-spinning sedentary species and Joltik/Galvantula represent active hunters like Jumpies and Tarantulas, how about we pull some of the odder denizens of the arachnid realm.

For example - how about a Bug/Water that doesn't lose its typing for something boring? Enter Argyroneta aquatica, the Diving Bell Spider - the only spider to spend all of its life underwater. It carries its air supply with it - using specialized hair on its abdomen and legs to trap bubbles of air which it uses to breathe when on the move (that is why their abdomen appears silvery in this picture - that's the air bubble around it). Diving Bell spiders build complicated 'diving bell' webs that are filled with air and their structure allows gas exchange with the surrounding water - that is to say, Oxygen diffuses in, CO2 diffuses out - like an artificial gill of sorts. The smaller females (an unusual thing for spiders, where the females are usually larger) live within their bell webs for most of their lives whereas the males are larger and are more active hunters (though they do construct diving bell webs as well, theirs tend to be smaller and require less air shifts).

DivingBell.png

Or how about the Mirror Spiders of the Genus Thwaitesia? Their abdomens are lined with reflective 'scales' which they may change in size depending on how threatened they feel they are - can you imagine the potential of this for say, Mirror Shot or even Solar Beam?

bay-2.jpg bay-3.jpg

Or take, for example, the net-casting spiders or ogre-faced spiders of the family Deinopidae. Rather than building orb webs or pinning their prey down, these nocturnal spiders have developed the cunning strategy of spinning a web between their front legs and lying in wait for prey to pass by - which they then proceed to pounce on with their nets extended and ensnare. Perhaps one that specializes in trapping moves?

Damon Wilder-Net-casting Spider-3-Resized.jpg

And if none of these are weird enough for you, try the Assassin Spiders, also known as Spidnucks and Pelican Spiders (Because of their specialized 'necked' cephalothorax and long chelicera). Little is known about these tiny, weird little things - except for the fact they almost exclusively feed on other spiders. Most of what is known can be found in this rather excellent article. Hell, look at these things - their weird alien form alone would warrant a Pokémon - maybe even a Bug/Dragon of some sort, for the hell of it? ^^

9305914976_494d36d811_z.jpg

Eh. I can dream, Harold!

But yes, excuse me for gushing about spiders. Let's see some other creatures then, shall we... preferably before I remember MORE spiders.

Or how about some unusual sea creatures?

And since I'm already on arthropods - how about the largest terrestrial arthropod, the Coconut Crab? Essentially giant hermit crabs on steroids, their larvae are aquatic and their young live in gastropod shells like other hermit crabs - but the adults are fully terrestrial and can actually drown if immersed in water for too long. They are quite strong and largely feed on fruit, but they do feed on carrion and occasionally opportunistically hunt. They come in a variety of colors and are really goddamn big. Do not attack their weak points for massive damage.

coconut_crab.jpg

Or what about about Giant isopods? these lovely deep-sea relatives of the common pillbug (though they cannot curl up like one!) are about the size of a cat and have seriously shiny eyes. They could evolve from a smaller roly-poly isopod, of course - but there is a vast variety of interesting creatures that they could be related to.

a60_GiantIsopod.jpg

Like, for example, the Sea Sapphire, a translucent copepod with some form of iridescent plating which makes them appear as vague sparkles when light hits them just right, like some kind of active-camoflaged wizardry.

tumblr_n1dtarLbyV1r4gyaho1_400.gif

And if we're already undersea, how about certain species of Polychaete worms, such as the Bobbit Worm or even the mysterious deep sea genus Tomopteris that is probably the closest thing to a Skyrim Ice Wraith we can get on this planet?

tumblr_mm5ktw21EM1qdlh1io1_400.gif
tumblr_mhgp8ddugE1rgfqxxo1_250.gif

Or how about - *is dragged away before he drowns the thread with this post alone.*

Next time I'll cover some Tetrapods too, I promise. <<;

Thomas Runner

Formerly Wolf Spirit
I'd like to see more bug/flying type pokemon, maybe a mosquito, it'll have large wings, and a long, long........................there will be a lot more "long"'s, but a REALLY long nose

There isn't a dolphin Pokemon yet....

Gorebyss is kinda close, but I think it's an eel ;P
Alsoo, I would like to see another Hippo Pokemon... I know there is one, but I still want one that I like :T

KOALA! Yes a koala! Why isn't there a grass-type koala yet?
Oh, and a goat Pokemon so I can name it Sata- I mean Gompers........... Yeah.........
And a kangaroo that can BOX! Not the normal type old Kanghaskan we all know and love, but a real kangaroo with boxing gloves.... Dojaroo?? Huh? Huh? No? Okay...... You knwo you like the name.. Okay I'll stop.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Pokemon based on the Rosy Maple Moth - this little fella right here. It would definitely be a Fairy or Fairy/Bug typing.

262539_1600x1200.jpg

Aside from that, a Ghost/Steel animatronic Pokemon would be cool. I may or may not be referencing Five Night's there, but hey. It'd be a very beneficial typing, too - but it should be a little more straightforward than Aegislash.

I want a Hot Spring Pokemon with a Water/Fire typing, a Forest Fire Pokemon with a Fire/Grass typing, and a Swamp Land Pokemon with a Grass/Water typing.

Mine is a relatively simple choice, compared to some of the exotic creatures that everyone has been asking for.

The Earthworm
The-earthworm-way---blind-014.jpg

This adorable fella, despite being such a common creature and often a subject for small creature collectors of all ages, has so far evaded having any sort of pokémon to represent it. Sooner or later, that will have to change, and I when it does, I'd expect to see it be a Bug/Ground type. And I hope it'll be the next monolithic sized pokemon.

sandworm_b1.jpg

Last edited:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I have always, always wanted a Gryphon Pokemon. Yes it'd probably be Ground/Flying and therefore cursed with the mega-Ice weakness but I wouldn't care. I'm surprised there isn't a Gryphon Pokemo

I thought of that this morning,but I want a 2 stage strawberry pokemon like cherubi and cherrim,I just want more fruit based pokemon,like a banana,oh and a grass type gym like a hawaii beach hut....plz:angel:

I want a Dolphin pokemon like everyone else! but I would like a Jackrabbit + antlers. A Jackalope. Or may be a Koala, Kangaroo or Echidina. I would aslo like an Electric/Dark Pokemon.

I'd love to see Game Freak really utilize the vast number of dragons and give us some unique types. Grass/Dragon, or Fighting/Dragon for example. Also a most black dragons spew acid. Please give me a Poison/Dragon type that isn't Dreggalge. (Or whatever it's called)

I'd also like to maybe see a Pegasus or something Medusa like. Otherwise I just want interesting type combos like Fairy/Dark or Poison/Psychic

Personally, I would love to see like Rapidash get a Mega and become a Pegasus or Alicorn. I mean, when I was playing Diamond way back when, I wanted my Rapidash to evolve further to be a pegasus so bad. So If GameFreak give Rapidash a Mega (It has to have wings), I would definitely use it.

I want to see a Grass/Fire type. Maybe its design will relate to wildfires or something idk. Also, I don't care what it looks like but..........POISON TYPE LEGENDARY GAMEFREAK!!! NOW!!!

And I just realized that there hasn't been a dolphin or koala based Pokémon yet. I wouldn't mind seeing one in the new games. Especially a Koala. I mean we have a panda, polar bear, and I think Ursaring is like a grizzly bear.

Last edited:
I'll say it flat out. I want a Stegosaurus prehistoric pokemon of rock/grass or a new horse that evolves into a pegasus and is not a fire or electric type. Maybe Flying/Fairy. I mostly want more dinosaurs (seriously, only two each game generation is depressing if you don't count Relicanth and Aerodactyl)

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Pokemon based on the Araripe Manakins they are very rare and special birds also it has a very cool design which could make the Pokemon very cool

Here are some animals I'd like to see turned into pokemons:

1. Red panda
Reason: it is so cute
Type: fire or fire/something

2 . dolphin
Reason: we really need one
Type: water/psychic

3 . Saber tooth tiger
Reason: mammal fossil needed
Type: ice/rock

4 . Koala, kangaroo and platypus starters
Reason: cuteness over 9000
Types: grass for koala, fire for kangaroo and water for platypus

Time for some mythical creatures:

1 . Fenrir
Reason: out of loki's 3 children I think he is the coolest
Type: I have nothing, maybe steel?

2 . Bassilisk
Reason: giant snake with poison on steroids and can kill you if you look at it, enough said
Type: poison/dragon

3 . Manticore
Reason: a giant lion with bat wings and scorpion tail sounds intresting
Type: poison/flying

Legendary pokemon (more mythology):

1. Typhoon and echidna
Reason: Typhoon the father of all monsters and echidna the mother of all monsters
Type: both poison/dragon

2. Dionysus
Reason: good potential for psychic/grass
Type: already mentioned

3 . Sun wu kong (the monkey king)
Reason: the trickery pokemon???
Type: fighter

4. Efritt
Reason: had to add something from my religion
Type: fire/ground, ghost/ground or fire/ghost