• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What are your favorite video game series? besides Pokemon?

My all-time favorite video game series is Super Mario, with Star Fox and Super Smash Bros. being close seconds. Who would be your favorite character(s) for each series? My top ten list would look like this:
1. Super Mario (Bowser and Donkey Kong)
2/3/4. Star Fox (Fox McCloud)
2/3/4. Pokemon (Venomoth)
2/3/4. Super Smash Bros. (Fox McCloud)
5. ROBLOX
6. Legend of Zelda (Ganondorf)
7. Kirby (King Dedede)
8. Mario Kart (Bowser and Donkey Kong)
9. Mega Man (Mega Man)
10. Sonic the Hedgehog (Tails)

I love the Mario games and Mario is one of my favorite character. Although those games are simple, they bring a sense of joy and adventure.
Street Fighter is another series I really like. I've been playing those games since I was a kid. Same thing with Mortal Kombat. I also like MK's mythology.

Aside from Pokemon:
Breath of Fire
Mario Kart
Halo

I LOVE Breath of Fire. Classic turn-based RPG with good stories. Dragon Quarter was a little weird with the restart "feature", but I thought it was pretty rewarding once I beat it.

Mario Kart is Mario Kart. 'nuff said.

I love the Halo franchise. I really get into the stories and I read the books. I much prefer PVE to PVP, so I usually stick to ODST and Reach for their Firefight modes. 343 has NOT done a good job with PVM in 4 and 5, but the game mechanics are continuing to stay interesting.

I will mention Dragon Age, but I only really cared for Origins. DA2 was decent, but I really didn't like Inquisition. I play a lot of Diablo 2 and I've grown to like character flexibility. DA:O was the best of the three for that IMO, especially for your party members.

Mother/Earthbound- My favorite RPG and my all time favorite series. It started when I got Mother 3 for Christmas and that game rocks. So I started playing the prequels.

Metroid- I've been trying to get in the series and it's pretty good. Although it can be difficult sometimes.

Smash Bros.- I'm into fighting games and Nintendo. So of course I would play these games.

Saints Row- This series I got into when I first got Steam, and these games are hilarious. Granted I'm not a fan of shooter games (nor am I good at them), but I can give this series a pass. Definitely in my top 3 franchises.

Kirby- As of now, it's becoming one of my all time favorite franchises. Most of the games have something that feels unique to them. And it never feels stale.

Last edited:
Super Smash Bros: a given because who doesn't like shooting Mario with lemons?

Fire Emblem: I've only played the western released games except for Radiant Dawn because hell no that game is too hard to find and play.

Shin Megami Tensei: Well it has a bunch of spinoff titles that I love such as Persona and Devil Survivor. The main series is still dark and marvelous.

Scribblenauts: I do not have to give an explanation for this.

2D Sonic games: Dun wanna poop on 3D Sonic but I can't get into it. It's no use for me.

Oh, I have plenty of games that I love next to Pokemon. But I could probably go on forever if I listed too many of them, so to keep it (somewhat) short, I'll go ahead and list five of my absolute favorite games below, and give a rundown on why I like them so much. These are in no particular order, and while Pokemon would be included among them usually, this list specifies games other than Pokemon. We'll save that ramble for a more fitting time.

Ratchet & Clank: This was one of the earliest set of titles I ever played in my childhood besides Pokemon. It was also the thing that got me into Sci-Fi and sparked a small fascination with space. I've played every main series game and I could probably find a million different reasons to gush over this series. But to keep it simple, I love the exploration and fast-paced combat of the games. I love all the different planets and their unique atmospheres (not to mention most of them have amazing soundtracks to go with them). I love the characters and the wacky weaponry. The humor is well done, too, especially when I was at the age to understand those subtle jokes that went over my head as a kid.

Mega Man: And by this, I mean basically all iterations of Mega Man; original series, X, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network, Star Force. Each of them had something unique to them that made them a blast to play. I'll admit I'm god-awful at platforming in most cases, so it took me forever to beat many of the early titles of the series. Battle Network and Star Force are the ones I can proudly boast that I'm good at, and they are probably my favorite iterations of the blue bomber. And like many of my favorite game series, they have a spectacular soundtrack in just about every game.

Demons Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne: I list all of these in the same category because they are all by the same developer, and all play in very much the same way. However, each of them have their own personalities and unique settings that separates them from one-another. If anyone is familiar with any of these titles, one thing you'll know about them is that they aren't easy. Far from easy, in fact. The common enemies in these games can kill you if you're careless, and don't even get me started on the many bosses of the games. But the challenge makes it engaging. So do the environments. It's almost always quiet, with music only playing for the boss encounters (and yes, the music is just superb). But the game also doesn't spoon-feed you any story or exposition. In order to find out the lore, you have to speak to the NPC Characters or read the item descriptions, or even just speculate on what happened based on what the areas look like. I can't really summarize why they're great without going on forever...but I'll admit they aren't for everyone. It's something you have to try for yourself before you make any judgement.

Oddworld (Abe's Oddysee and Exodus): A dark, humorous, stylized 2D puzzle platformer. These games encourage you to avoid hostile enemies by sneaking around them or possessing them (an ability that Abe, the main character, possesses...badum-tsh). Any hostile will kill you in one hit in this game, so you have to play smart. You also have the option to rescue other members of your kind from danger and slavery. The music in this game is also good, and they build an ambiance to really immerse you into the game depending on the kind of area you're in. I played these games to death when I was about 13. They really absorbed me just because they were so unique. If you're interested in a funny, engaging, and bizarre experience, I'd suggest looking into these games. But just like the above, they might not be for everyone.

Undertale: This...okay, this game probably needs absolutely no introduction or explanation whatsoever. I'm pretty sure anyone who uses the internet and lives in the modern day knows what Undertale is. But I might as well make a quick statement about it. It's brilliant. I found it on a whim in early October, when it hadn't gotten to the height of its popularity just yet, but I decided to play it after seeing a YouTuber named Cryaotic play it. Needless to say, it was really moving. Well-written dialogue, simple but fun game play, the moral choice, the humor, and the music...I don't have words to describe my love for this games soundtrack. I'll admit that I enjoyed the first half of this game much more than the second half (Alphys and Mettaton were a little annoying for me, constantly slowing down the game with their interruptions), with my favorite area in the whole game being Waterfall. And I'll admit...I've played the Genocide Route more times than the Pacifist Route, to the point where beating both Undyne and Sans prove no challenge to me...I'm cruel, I know.

And that's that. Sorry if I rambled way too long, but I can talk about video games (or just games in general) for hours on end for so many reasons. But I'll leave it with those five for now :)

Last edited:
The Pikmin series is my all time favorite, specifically Pikmin 2, with the president being my favorite character.

My second favorite series is definitely Legend of Zelda. My favorite game, and this is gonna sound weird, is Minish Cap. I've only beaten Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Minish Cap, and Zelda 1, and I'm playing through Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening right now. If I had to choose a character then Makar from Wind Waker.

Mario games are awesome too of course, Paper Mario: TTYD is probably my favorite of the franchise. Admiral Bomberry is definitely my favorite Mario character.

Other than that, I don't know. Ratchet and Clank's always been fun, Tools of Destruction is the first one i played and my favorite. Smash Bros, Star Fox, Counter Strike, Diablo 3, the list goes on.

Besides Pokemon, my favourite game series and characters are:

• Crash Bandicoot (Favourite Character: Polar)
  • The LEGO games (Favourite Character: Robin from LEGO Batman)
  • Spyro (Favourite Characters: Bianca and Hunter)
  • Super Mario (Favourite Character: Mallow)
  • Rayman (Favourite Character: The Teensies)
  • Pac-Man World (Favourite Character: Pac-Man)
  • Digimon Rumble Arena (Favourite Character: Guilmon)

1. Rayman (Favourite Character: Rayman, Globox or The Teensies - Favourite Game: Rayman 2: The Great Escape)
  2. Crash Bandicoot (Favourite Character: N. Gin, Cortex or Ripper Roo - Favourite Game: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back or Crash of The Titans)
  3. Super Mario Bros. (Favourite Character: Mario, Mallow or Bowser - Favourite Game: Mario Kart 8 )
  4. The LEGO Games (Favourite Character: Han Solo from LEGO Star Wars 2 - Favourite Game: LEGO Batman 1)
  5. Spyro (Favourite Character: Bianca and Hunter or Ripto - Favourite Game: Spyro 2: Ripto´s Rage/Gateway to Glimmer)
  6. Megaman (Favourite Character: Gravity Man or Duo - Favourite Game: Megaman 8 or Megaman 5)
  7. Five Nights at Freddy´s (Favourite Character: Bonnie (any version) - Favourite Game: FNaF 2)

Last edited by a moderator:
In absolutely no particular order:
  1. Bendy and the Ink Machine: HOLD YOUR HORSES FOR ONE SECOND. Alright, that's good. Before you package up some holy water and a crucifix and send it to me via express mail, just let me explain. Yes, this might have been a bad start to this list. Yes, I am well aware that the loud minority of the fanbase isn't.... the best. I also think, however, that this shouldn't factor into how someone perceives the source content itself. With that lain down, I would like to say that I enjoyed the first chapter of this game. The game instead relied mostly on atmosphere instead of solely on jumpscares (or furbies, thankfully. Those things are terrifying) to produce the horror effect and the storyline seemed fairly interesting. I have watched (silent) playthroughs for chapters two and three, and, while chapter two seemed a bit rushed and chapter three was extremely fetch-quest heavy, I am still looking forward to the next installments. My favourite character would have to be... uhh... I don't know. I think the grotesque character designs for a bunch of characters were cool, but I can't give one specifically.
  2. Super Smash/Mario Kart: These two are probably a given, honestly. They're grouped together because they're both fun for a bunch of people and both have probably caused the worldwide destruction of more friendships than breakups and arguments over headcanons combined. I don't really have a favourite character for either of these, but I main Charizard in smash (because quite honestly who cares if you win or lose as long as you get to see a gigantic fire breathing dragonesque Pokémon with a ray gun).
  3. Hiveswap: I can already hear the sound of an angry mob banging on my door with torches and pitchforks in an attempt to bring me to justice for a public trial for being a Homestuck. And... yeah... no... that's probably a long time coming. But let me say, this game was nice. The art style was wonderful, the cutscenes were well-animated, and the jokes were well-written (or at least I found them funny. I might just have fallen off of my proverbial rocker). Additionally, the game was a good stand-alone and could likely be played without ever having read (is read the right word?) Homestuck while still including plenty of references. My favourite character would have to be Joey Claire, because she has a well-written relationship with both of her parents as well as her brother and a realistic depiction of interests someone might have. I guess that goes for all of the characters, however. I guess I just find her more relatable as an older sister myself, even if she definitely does have some very different interests (although my younger sister doesn't have a collection of pigeons in a treehouse, (un)fortunately.) I'm looking forward to the next act, which supposedly comes out in spring of 2018, but that's probably lie. I'd bet on it releasing some time in the late 2030's.
  4. Portal: A great puzzle-oriented game with an interesting story behind it. Everyone here has probably heard of Portal, so I won't bore you all with a description. My favourite character would have to be Glados just because she has some of the funniest lines in both games. I still don't understand why "The cake is a lie" is the most quoted thing from this game because literally all of Glados's other lines were indefinitely funnier.
  5. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: It's still Pokémon, but it's a spinoff game... does it still count? Probably not. I don't have a favourite character, really, I just like Pokemon themed dungeon crawlers I guess.
  6. OFF: "River, please shut up about OFF already! No one cares about your stupid indie game obsession where a baseball man purifies the world with his hula hoops!" Sorry, but... yeah I have no excuse. So, last, but not least, we have Off. Haven't heard of it? I'm not surprised (the game turned ten this year). But before there was Undertale, there was OFF. You've probably seen one of the characters though, he tends to pop up very frequently in google image searches for completely unrelated topics. But I digress. OFF is a surreal RPG with elements similar to that of earthbound following a character known as the Batter who is on a holy mission to purify the world. I love all of the characters (design wise, at very least), the concept, the atmosphere, etc. My only real complaint is the combat system which is... kind of crappy. I've seen people not really like this game though, so this might just be me. My favourite character would have to be the Judge, because his personality is pretty much that of if a cat read several dictionaries then learned how to talk. Plus, he's a cat. Zacharie is a close second, but quite honestly anyone who has two masks in their possession and constantly is asking for money has probably committed multiple felonies and is desperately trying to cover up the evidence. Or just a college student. How did I even manage to get this off track from the original topic, I'm so sorry.
I'm really tired and don't feel like writing more descriptions but the Animal Crossing series is good too.

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
e92d2b3a0c01be3bdd77ec665a3014028efaa105.jpg
adf6ec95859a24be9e9806706485e3b003b18775.jpg

e40191f60dcb52c7263ca865f22404295ecfa6e9.jpg
62b785bc0c887b5fcea12e1c7f78811a994e1cef.jpg

217edc8a772fe5d047835341f6e865bee35d0204.jpg
5d9bd4925ed4202155725857bf879a69d17a38de.jpg

There's a lot more to this series, but here are the first four.
c2835cfa39dbaf8e7e1f668e4bf491855a274947.jpg
f6f3b34fca9d67f8309afae55bce8fe0fad4a3d0.jpg
67dba637e798d5a53b6f66bd30fa7a45d671a7b2.jpg
9ad044e2bcee72759ef76044d76b678e0c06bc56.jpg