• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What grade/year of your schooling are you entering?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Summer is almost over. Heck, it's already over for some people! So what are you going into this fall?

I found it amusing that dax was shocked by my going into 4th year of my University Nursing program (my 5th year of University to boot). Last year if all goes well... No exams except the very last mega one (the RN exam which takes a freakin' day to write), but there's going to be oodles of papers and presentations... and I HATE presentations @_@

Any here starting their first year of college/Uni? Don't worry. All the horror stories they've told you are true >=)

Just kidding.

Kinda ^^;

In 2 weeks I go back to school... for my last year!!! Ah I love alot about 6th form, and my best friend is joining my 6th form in september so it should be cool...

Im just not looking forward to joining the real world next summer... I plan to go uni or something but i cant decide what, and i really dont know what the hell im going to do with my life... Anyone need an extremely attractive slave? XD

... Anyone need an extremely attractive slave? XD
Well....actually.......lol JAYKAY Y'ALL

Anywho Monday started my third week of school. Yeah. Ick. But im a sophmore which means...10th grade....which is two years from graduation. Then off to a school....hopefully majoring in performing arts in a school in NYC. After schooling.....BROADWAY. Yeah. Theres my life plan. =] ))

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I be joining the ranks of 6th formers come next week... Which means I get maths every day! Yay! (for all those people who hadn't realised, I like maths a lot ^^)

I'm started 8th grade on the 14th. Gah how much i hate school. >:(

As a side not: Why did I sign up for french???????The people who made it up must have made it JUST to tick me off.GRrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Sophmore year next week... I'm homeschooled though so I'll still have my life...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'd actually find that kinda lonely, Sem. I enjoyed highschool, and most of Jr. high and elementray school for that matter, but it wouldn't have been fun at all without friends. Even at the times when I may have only had one good friend it made school have purpose - beyond the whole boring and stressful 'education' bit of it ;p

Highschool compared to University wasn't bad at all. Maybe it seemed so at the time, but what doesn't when you're right in the middle of it? I had a lot more time and energy for video games, reading, and writing; I actually used to draw quite a bit, of which I barely do any anymore; and I was often hanging out with friends after school and on weekends (and didn't feel super stressed over homework when doing so). Ahh... youth. A time when I actually liked winter... I feel old x.o

(for all those people who hadn't realised, I like maths a lot ^^)

You and me both ^^

I start the delights of year 11 on Tuesday. The joys of coursework, coursework oh and guess what... more coursework. Not to mention the mocks in novemberish and actual GCSEs. Please, if I go crazy from being overworked, send me to a nice loony asylum....

When you posted the thread, Link-san, I was already in school. T_T Stupid high school and it's early wake-up time...sigh...

I dun wanna tell my grade though. GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU CREEPY STALKERS! *fends off shadows with plastic spork*

But actually, high school has been okay so far, so this year starting wasn't as OMG-ish as the beginning of my first year. Hehe.

But my English teacher is really cool. He came in dressed as a hillbilly when we were learning about stereotypes in the deep south, and acted all weird (we had to ask him questions). He offered me moonshine. Fake, of course. X3

When you posted the thread, Link-san, I was already in school.
hehe me too... I started the 17th. Damn dirty swedish school system cheating me out of a few extra days of sunshine!

At least I'm in my last year of highschool, so... yay! Then it's off to England for "higher" education ;)

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I start school tomorrow, and I'm going into year 10 (GCSE year 1). Should be fun. Unfortunately, I get this total cow as my head of year, and she's doesn't like me at all. And I've got a new teacher for Maths. He has a huge nose. Seriously.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I dun wanna tell my grade though. GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU CREEPY STALKERS! *fends off shadows with plastic spork*

I was waiting for that reaction from someone. Just didn't think it'd be so... exteme XP

I start back in two days. Back to papers, presentations, and more papers. And less time for gaming.

;_;

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
None as of yet. I've yet to decide what exactly I want to learn after I'm done with my military service (I'm currently halfway through the final year of that, thank dog. I'm seriously tired of this nonsense. :p)

I'm going back tomorrow....

I don't wanna go back... Quick, someone kidnapp me.. im not that heavy... and i can cook really nice stuff!!!

=( ah well.. I shall contain myself and be a good role model for the lower years who will see me and think "woah that is one scary dude, definately don't wanna be like him"

My school has really messed it up this year though, they decided to mix all the 6th form registration groups together, so tomorrow im due in registration at 8:45 and have no idea where im going, who my teacher is, or what form im actually in... and theres 18 forms overall... it should be very funny to say the least and by funny i mean annoying... I just hope theres a few people in my form that I can actually tollerate... -_-

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
My school has really messed it up this year though, they decided to mix all the 6th form registration groups together, so tomorrow im due in registration at 8:45 and have no idea where im going, who my teacher is, or what form im actually in... and theres 18 forms overall... it should be very funny to say the least and by funny i mean annoying... I just hope theres a few people in my form that I can actually tollerate... -_-

Good luck with that ^^ When we hit 6th Form, we get to pick our form >=)

=( ah well.. I shall contain myself and be a good role model for the lower years who will see me and think "woah that is one scary dude, definately don't wanna be like him"

Yeah, I get to do that too ^_~

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I think I intimidated quite a few new year 7s today as well... 6th form's going better than expected, considering today's my first day, and we got to go on a treasure hunt round town. ^^ We sort of half decide which form we're in, ie, we put down who we really, really want to be with, and they accomodate. :p Oh, and worst luck, the boys' school down the road has just started teaching japanese. I WANT TO LEARN JAPANESE. DAMN SCHOOL! USE THE LANGUAGE COLLEGE STATUS! RARR. Oh well, maybe when we finally get a new head I can bug them into adding it, and I'll just give up my one free period (Trust me to take double maths...) to do it. *grins*

That sucks.. how come you get to choose your forms... hmm... then again, they might do that with my year... although i doubt it... stupid over controlling teachers!!!

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
lol, you haven't met our reigning deputy head. We used to have about 6 trips abroad in the first five years at our school, and our year was the last to have them all. This deputy head, naming no names, got rid of all but, well, 2 or 3 of them. The ones she got rid of were among my favourites, too. I'm just lucky she didn't get rid of them before I went on them ^^"

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Okay... Humor the Canadian who doesn't use terms like "forms" for school... You're saying that you're actually able to choose who your classmates will be, or your homeroom/teachers and whatnot?

If so, we could never do anything like that. We picked our courses - that was it. Whoever you were placed with, whatever homeroom teachers, etc. was all in the power of the school. So yeah.. no guarantee that you'd be with friends or even the teachers you wanted. But that's just how it was. I figured everywhere was like that o.O

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
No, we're special because I go to a grammar school. An Essex grammar school. And we only get to choose classmates, and only some of those - up to three, I think it is. Of course that can be manipulated to make it all your choice, as I think the chavs did (-_-"), so yeah.

And I'm not that posh. *pokes Alex to hell*

Hey, if Rachel's not gonna name names of who our acting head is, then I am. Glynis Howland. Someone kill her. Please. And if Rachel's posh then I'm super-posh.....

Oh, and Katie, a form is a group of people you have to put up with in your formroom. In the lower years they're all to do with houses, but in 6th form then it all changes and everyone gets messed around (for our school at least). You get a form tutor (a designated teacher for your form) who takes the register in the morning, etc. I hope I'm not being patronising. If I am come and kill me too. I would hate to turn into our acting head. *shudders*

We found out yesterday that our forms in 6th form are actually being based on houses because 6th form have never really cared about houses in my school and they're trying to promote community and all that load of rubbish... and im stuck with one of the people i hate most in the school once again in form, ever since year 7 ive had to deal with him... *eye twitches*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, and Katie, a form is a group of people you have to put up with in your formroom. In the lower years they're all to do with houses, but in 6th form then it all changes and everyone gets messed around (for our school at least). You get a form tutor (a designated teacher for your form) who takes the register in the morning, etc. I hope I'm not being patronising. If I am come and kill me too. I would hate to turn into our acting head. *shudders*

If you're being patronising, I hadn't noticed ;p

Forms... houses... AHH! You'd think that the Canadian school system would be similar to Europe's, but ours is more or less a clone of the States. Our system seems so much more straight forward than yours, but chances are if I explained ours thoroughly it'd sound just as messed up to you XP

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I sort of half understand the US school system ^^" Forms are classes, whatever. Houses are (usually) assigned to one form in each year. Some schools put houses against each other for the house cup, like in Harry Potter. :p In fact, that's a pretty good way of looking at British high schools. Age 11-18, houses, forms, whatnot. *shrugs* Meh. I discovered today what the medical room looks like... Same icky green colour, same sick smell. :p

I wondered why you weren't on the bus. Yeah, Harry Potter is a very good way of looking at British SECONADRY schools. It is not a high school. Honestly...

We have loads of stupid competitions between houses to gain house points to win the house cup, no, we don't get given points for getting answers right (we get well done stickers for that... STICKERS!!!). For example, House Karaoke, House tug'o'war and House decorated classroom (each form gets to decorate their own classroom with a theme at Christmas time).

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Ah, I remember back in yr 7 (gosh, 5 years ago?!) we did Father Christmas' living room... Good times. ^^ Don't forget House Swimming and all the other sport-related comps. Oh, and Fantasy Football, of course. :p *quits rambling*

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Rach, Rosie, you two suck.

God knows what houses are, but yet.
Forms are where you go for registration in a morning. We have 7 in our school. We go there every morning, and it's a convenient way to split up 200 or so students. We have to line up in our Forms for things like fire drills and the like. Your Form is not necessarily your class, as people are put into sets and bands for that.

Sets are your intelligence groups. The smarter kids are put into set 1, and the thickos are in set 4.
The 2 different bands are just neat for seperating the class, and have very little relevance to anything.

We don't have sets, we're all too intelligent :p We just get randomly split, split by alphabet or by putting you with a few of your friends. Unfortunately this doesn't always work and there's normally one or two people who have no friends in a class. I laugh at them sometimes. Heh.

And Ell we so do not suck. Well, Rach might, but I certainly don't. So there. (yes, i my brain is being melted by Physics coursework. I am being very immature today.)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The way it worked in my school, and generally works over here, is that "Form" denotes the year you're in, so it goes:

1st Form
2nd Form
3rd Form
4th Form
5th Form

Then Lower 6th and Upper 6th.

In each form, there are Form Groups, which is pretty much "houses". In my school their names were taken from the name of the school, Grosvenor and were G,R,S,V,E,N. So in 1st Form you'd get placed into one of these groups and would either be in 1G, 1R, 1S, 1V, 1E or 1N. You stay in that group until 5th form.

You get shook up to be in numbered groups in 6th Form, and stay in that group for the two years. The reason for this is that not everyone stays on for 6th Form, and new people join for it - so you can't really just stay with the same group as from 1st-5th form.

I was in E and... I think 2 in 6th Form.

Also Rach, I went to a Grammar School, and since ours mean more as Grammar schools require you to be in the top 25% of the country with your results from the Eleven Plus exam to gain entry, I can safely say that Grammar School status is not why you get to be a posh bitch and choose your groups. :p

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Well, nur to you too. :p Apparently we're in the top two percent, but that could be because they're more people over here ^^ Our houses are C, G, H and S (old school initials), and I'm in G, as is Rosie... But Chloe's in C. :p C always manage to lose, though, so ha! *is far too hyper tonight*

I am in 8th grade. Still in grade school. I hate math especially the teacher in math >:( Mr.Dice >:( if we are confused on a problem and we ask him a question he'll just say look at the excamples they're self explanetory every time. and theyre not self explanetory. He just tells us to do the pages without showing us how to do the math.