• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What is your favorite Game Over screen?

Mine is Sonic 3. The music is really creepy.
Scratch that. New Super Mario Wii onwards. The music is truly haunting. Wish Nintendo would stick with the the original theme. Oh, and Super Mario World's game over is worse. Sooooooooooooo Frightning and Creepy Music!!!!!:-O:-O:-O

Does the battle loss scene from Pokemon count? I'm sorry, but I find it incredibly funny that a person that can take down an entire criminal organization without uttering a word except for battle commands literally PASSES OUT when they loose a battle. Also, what happens to the Trainer? Does the opposing Trainer or Wild Pokemon or a random passing Trainer wake them up so they can "scurry to the nearest Pokemon Center, protecting the injured Pokemon from further harm..."? How on Arceus's green Earth does that work? The world may never know!

The Metal Gear Solid game over screen is pretty good. Also, the Conker's Bad Fur Day one is pretty funny. So is Total Distortion. That song is just catchy and ridiculous lol

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Probably one of the many, many, many ways to die in the Quest for Glory series. Old Sierra adventure games are infamous for having many ways to die, but QFG's death screens in particular are phenomenally snarky in a really glorious sort of way.

Cuphead. Every boss and every different boss phase, has a different quote. I like Cagney Carnation’s quote: “ Extreme pollination and total domination “ So creative!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'll always have a soft spot for this one:

maxresdefault.jpg

I like the "Game Over" screen from TLoZ: Minish Cap, since you can save your game if you die, and after that, you can decide if you want to quit or keep playing. Pretty cool.

580657_Screenshot_20171211-214730.png

580656_Screenshot_20171211-214648.png

580654_Screenshot_20171211-214651.png

I'm a personal fan of the Game Over screen from Fire Emblem: Awakening. It's nothing particularly special - just the words "Game Over" in front of a background - but the red tint over the background image of a book really gets across the message that your story has come to an end.

Also,
Oh no! You walked directly into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!
**** You have died ****
... I've wasted too much time in Zork.

Last edited:
Personally I Like the Resident Evil 4 Game Over Screen...Just the whole blood-ish Red fade in feels right at home In RE...and the Bloody "You are dead" really brings it home that you fluffed up....and probobly shot Ashley for the hundredth time....no?...just me?....

(I also Like that one Felix the Cat Bootleg game over screen....the one Joel from Vinesauce freaked out over?...Dont know why but it is so messed up to the point its funny....doesnt help that its stolen art...and the original artist had no mal-intent when they made the peice...crazy bootleggers....also gore warning if you decided to look it up.....Dont pick нет)

I’m partial towards the one from OFF (although, admittedly, I’m biased because it’s still one of my favorite games). Visually, it’s nothing fancy—just a black screen with some orange weathering and text declaring “game is over”—but the music that goes with it really keeps with the theme of the game. It really drives home the fact that something’s wrong about the setting, although you don’t learn exactly what until the end of the game.
(Un)fortunately, OFF is a pretty easy game, so you probably won’t see it very often, if at all, in a playthrough (it took me a couple times running through to die, and it was from deliberately ignoring directions given by an important NPC just to see what would happen, haha).