• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What Makes a Pokemon a Legendary

Legendary Pokémon all used to have 3 major things in common with them. 1. they were the one and only member of its species 2. they seemed to have been there since the beginning of time (or for a whole long time) and 3. They NEVER evolved. Over the years though these rules seem to have been broken. The first rule is broken by Lugia who had an offspring in the anime. The second rule was broken by Manaphy, who in the anime hatched from an egg thus being level 1, and Cosmog who in the game is in it's first evolution state which brings us to rule #3 which was broken by Cosmog by being able to evolve not once but twice! Now with all 3 rules being broken how do we determine which pokemon should be a legendary and which shouldn't? I have over the years stated that Arcanine THE LEGENDARY POKEMON is not a legendary due to it's evolution and there being mutiples, same as Lucario & Zorua. Absol because there were more than just one as well as the Unown. What rules now state that these rare and powerful Pokémon shouldn't be legendaries even though they have deep links with them? I used to think legendaries where the guardians of the pokemon universe bringing balance to nature yet how can you do that if you're in your weakest form? What Makes a Pokémon a Legendary?

The anime breaks convention of the traditional Pokemon meaning of the word Legendary by having some rather specific Pokemon, in one case, Lugia, be part of extremely small numbers instead of just one end-all be-all powerful deity-type being. Some legendary Pokemon, like Entei, are stated to not so much exist eternally so much as be perpetually reborn in an endless cycle, so they do kind of stay around forever, just in a different sense. The Manaphy point seems strange as ALL Pokemon are stated to be born from eggs, more or less - even Arceus was born from an egg. As for Cosmog, I'll put this in spoilers:
Solgaleo/Lunala are stated to be from a different dimension entirely, so probably much like Deoxys, they are extra-terrestrial beings that do not adhere to the laws set forth by the world of Pokemon, but instead merely take on the characteristics and traits similar to that of Pokemon whilst in this world. At the very least, Solagleo and Lunala are pretty much the actual sun and moon, and those things are very capable of dying or being destroyed irl, so it makes perfect sense for them to have a rebirth cycle akin to those, ie Cosmog being very much a nebula(birthplace of stars) from which the correct materials assemble themselves together to eventually become a celestial body - which is itself a form of evolution.

Arcanine is called the Legendary Pokemon. This is merely a Pokedex classification. It is not legendary in the sense of its power or rarity, but legendary in the sense that as a very regal-looking Pokemon, it was most likely closely associated with powerful figures in the past histories of the Pokemon world. I would not doubt it if some folk-hero of old had a trusty Arcanine companion. I also have no idea where you have gotten the sense that Lucario, Zorua, Absol, or Unown have at any time been considered Legendary. Sure, they get incorporated in big things in the movies or maybe even the anime, but other than Unown, the other three have literally nothing going for them that would ever suggest Legendary status. And Unown only gets a small footnote for being the universal glue.

I'm fairly certain the actual qualifications for a Legendary Pokemon are thus:
  • Is extremely powerful compared to a typical Pokemon
  • The number of members of its species are small enough to be counted on one hand
  • Basically its mere presence severely affects reality in some way
  • Maybe a dozen people at best have ever seen one, let alone heard of it
  • There is that one person who believes that by controlling it they become some sort of god
And by the way,
Cosmog is so powerful it can literally open a hole to another dimension, as well as summon extremely powerful Pokemon. That's pretty OP for something in a so-called "weakest form". Only other things that open doors to other dimensions are, you guess it: basically god-level Pokemon.

Here's what I think the qualifications are:
  • It can't have more than one of it(The exception is Celebi in Pokemon 4-Ever, those were from other times)
  • Legendary/Mythical Pokemon VERY RARELY have genders. So that COMPLETELY takes Arcanine out of the picture, though Pseudo-Legendariness is still somewhat within grasp.
  • It can't be super easy to catch, or must be super rare. Especially if it's a Regi. (Couldn't barely catch one of those... Hello darkness my old friend...)
  • It has to have some sort of counterpart(s)/Cohort(s)
This is just my opinion. If you disagree, that doesn't give you the right to throw hate like a little kid throws sand.

Reason one might consider non legendaries-legendaries
Lucario- it's link with many other legendaries like mew. (mainly in lucario and the mystery of mew) also one of the only non legends that can learn aura sphere and its sense for aura
Absol- the Disaster Pokémon can foretell where disasters are going to happen, has links with many other legendaries especially in the pokemon dungeon games, and is also a guardian of Jirachi

Reason one might consider non legendaries-legendaries
Lucario- it's link with many other legendaries like mew. (mainly in lucario and the mystery of mew) also one of the only non legends that can learn aura sphere and its sense for aura
Absol- the Disaster Pokémon can foretell where disasters are going to happen, has links with many other legendaries especially in the pokemon dungeon games, and is also a guardian of Jirachi
I see your point. But they're just Pokemon. I would make a comparison, but I don't want to spoil the Sun and Moon anime for anyone yet.

Lucario's link with Mew is purely for entertainment value in the movie. Notable other users of Aura Sphere: Blastoise, Togekiss, Clawitzer, and Mienshao. Usage of Aura is not a legendary feat; Aura is merely a external manifestation of one's emotions or power. Naturally, Legendaries exhibit tremendous power levels and/or should be in relatively masterful control of their emotions, so them learning it is a natural assumption. Absol's only link to Legendaries comes from the fact that it shows up right before disaster strikes, and it just so happens that every Legendary is pretty much gonna bring disaster either through being angered or just because that's what happens when they're around regardless of if they are the ones destroying things.

So like, they literally only connect at all because of their specific movie roles. They have no actual lore that does so. Additionally, Legendaries are unable to breed. The sole exception is Manaphy, but that can easily be explained away as it being Prince of the Sea and thus siring heirs, and even then Phione cannot evolve into Manaphy, so it's still a one-way street. For example, Volcarona wouldn't be considered Legendary. Pseudo-legendary, yes, but not full-on Legendary.

Arcanine

(from bulbapedia)
Lucario is also one of the only non legendary pokemon with the ability to speak to humans which even some legendaries can't do
Absol is also said to be mentioned in many legends, absol also tries to warn and protect humans from disaster which I believe is the only pokemon other than legendaries to do this

Arcanine

(from bulbapedia)
Lucario is also one of the only non legendary pokemon with the ability to speak to humans which even some legendaries can't do
Absol is also said to be mentioned in many legends, absol also tries to warn and protect humans from disaster which I believe is the only pokemon other than legendaries to do this
Are you forgetting about Lapras? Or any other Pokemon that can use telekinetic thought waves? Have you even WATCHED Kyurem Vs. The Sword of Justice?

Technically speaking, all Psychic types can speak with humans through telepathy. That infamous photo from season 1 proves nothing. There are many inconsistencies from season 1 that were later corrected, and besides, what actually connects Arcanine to the bird trio? They don't have a single thing in common. The only thing that photo shows is that those are all old cave paintings, which, would point back to my earlier remark of Arcanine being a "legend" by being the companion of some ancient hero. Other than that, it's extremely out of place. As for Absol, no legendaries come back to warn humans of disaster. None. Some try to prevent disasters, or serve as a check or balance for disaster, but none outright go "hey, better watch out, something bad is coming".

If any old cave painting of a Pokemon was basis for it being a legendary, half of the Pokedex would be legendary. Pokemon have been with humans for thousands of years, so it's only natural for them to be revered a bit. But just think on it: what did ye olde humans mark down in caves? Either things with religious significance, or things that were integral to their survival. If an Arcanine helped save a tribe, that'd be pretty important, so they'd mark it down. From bulbapedia: every Pokedex entry of Arcanine that mentions the word "legend" or "legendary" is referring to either it's incredible speed or beauty. So, it's a legend because of how good it looks or how fast it is. Nothing more, nothing less.