• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS What rhymes with Oyster?

Cloyster!
Anyways, I've always been in love with this little beauty here (even though it's a five-foot clamshell), and I would like to put good use to one. I spend about an hour and a half trying to come up with a decent moveset, but I can't seem to get it right. He/She needs to be able to use Special and Physical attacks, I believe. And I like having Skill Link and Icicle Shard. However, that's where I get stuck.
He/She was planned to, despite the speed, tank stuff. Just be able to take a bunch of physical hits and slam back, too.

Any ideas?

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Cloyster@[not sure what item]
Spike Cannon
Ice Beam/Ice Shard/Avalanche
Surf/Water Pulse
Mud Shot

That's what stood out to me when I tried... it can learn Explosion via TM as well, and the Toxic Spikes/Spikes aren't too bad either. it sounded more like you wanted something to just have a good variance of attacks to me though.

and here is a slightly more evil Cloyster
Cloyster@Grip Claw
Clamp/Whirlpool [Clamp has more accuracy]
Toxic
Water Pulse
Protect/Ice Beam

I'm not sure if you can Stack Whirlpool and Clamp, but if you can, there won't be any escape for whoever you hit. I'm sure you can see the point of this one, but I'll say it anyway. You Clamp whoever you're fighting so they can't escape, and the grip claw makes it last longer. then you hit them with Toxic, and the poison slowly gets worse since they can't switch plus the damage from Clamp or Whilrlpool. Protect is just a devious way to stall another turn while they take gradual damage. Water Pulse for its chance at confusion. Ice beam would just be in case you don't want Protect and like the bit more coverage it offers.

That does sound very devious. I like it! I like them both, actually. What would I have to breed with Cloyster to get Mud Shot? I'll check Serebii. xP Thanks.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
for the second one, I just thought.... if you decide to give it two offensive attacks instead of protect (I still think protect would work better). consider Mud Shot again instead of . it offers better coverage on Steel and poison types than water pulse. but if you were to give it just Mud Shot, Fliers and Levitators would take the whole of Toxic to kill. and if they're steel, you won't likely be killing them at all.

all in all, this is what I'm sugggesting ;p

Cloyster@Grip Claw
Clamp/Whirlpool [Clamp has more accuracy]
Toxic
Water Pulse
Protect/MudShot

Do you think that there is any way I could squeeze Icicle Shard in there?
(I wish that Cloyster could learn Ice Ball. Grr.)

How about this one, Ruko?

Cloyster @ Grip Claw
Skill Link
Clamp
Icicle Shard
Mud Shot
Toxic

The only thing is that you would only Clamp something not-very-effective or that you know you could easily/fairly easily faint.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I wish Cloyster could Learn Ice Ball too XD

Skarmory is a bit of a problem to it, without water pulse, but other than pokemon you should switch it away from, I think that's it..... Bronzong can learn special attacks, so it wouldn't have much of a chance facing it anyway.

I have to ask whether you mean Ice Shard, or Icicle Spear though ;p
Ice Shard goes first, and has a power of 40
Icicle Spear is a 2-5 hit attack that has a power of 50 with Skill link.

Clamp isn't intended to do damage, only to trap the foe so Toxic does its worst.
I like water pulse because confusion adds to the foes problems, especially when you can't switch out... Toxic was intended to be the main damaging attack for the second Cloyster, and you were supposed to try to avoid damage as much as possible. Mixing both of the Cloysters movesets can work over a larger variety of enemies, but won't be as effective overall... if that made any sense.

If you absolutely want it to have a physical and a special attack, then yes your idea will work. If it has an ice attack rather than water, it just needs something to cover Steel types.

Cloyster
Skill Link
Relaxed/Sassy (sassy if you are going to up Cloyster's Ok Sp. Def.)

Iron Defense/Withdraw/Barrier
Icicle Spear
Toxic Spikes/Subsitute
Takedown/Mud Shot

Icicle Spear because of Skill Link, and STAB, Iron Defense, Withdraw, or Barrier to Raise Defense, Toxic Spikes to induce poison. Subsitute/Takedown Combo. You use Subsitute and Take down. Mud shot if not going with Subsitute. Wall like Cloyster, yes? Uses both Physical and Special attacks.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Mud shot or protect is your choice... if you are going for a blended one, I'd say mud shot, if you don't mind just relying on Toxic to do the damage, Protect can stall every other turn as it sets in.

Water pulse would be the attack you use back and forth with protect for the chance of confusion...

I wasn't saying one or the other, I was trying to tell you to pick the one you liked more, and advising against using a cloyster with a blended attack set.

Putting substitute on a pokemon that doesn't have any means of healing, is usually not a good idea... it prevents you from taking heavy damage once, but you can't keep up the Substitutes as fast as they are being taken out, if you are facing something capable of taking them in one hit.

Putting substitute on a pokemon that doesn't have any means of healing, is usually not a good idea... it prevents you from taking heavy damage once, but you can't keep up the Substitutes as fast as they are being taken out, if you are facing something capable of taking them in one hit.

That was just an idea. If take down is used too much its bad because of Recoil.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
that's why I said usually :p

I like that cloyster too, and I'd probably send it in after a Perish Song, and Toxic Spikes would work really well... it's like playing chess almost. Fliers would have Icicle spear to face... and Skarmory is just a pain period.

I would probably pick Water Pulse over a defense increasing attack though...