• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Wonder Launcher for tournaments?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Are people interested in seeing the Wonder Launcher used within tournaments?

If so, how often would be a good frequency to use it? Would you want it used only during select mini-tournaments, or would you be interested in seeing it used during larger tournaments as well? Or maybe you think it should always be an option and it's up to the battlers whether they use it or not...?

Tell us what you think. I'm personally very impartial on the matter, so I'll leave my opinions on it for later.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I think it definitely has a place, and that it's a very, very, very cool new twist - but that it's probably not wise to make it a default setting for tournaments or to use it in the league.

I don't think we need to make tournaments based solely around the feature, but for mini-tournaments that it fits, it'd be a pretty cool extra layer to think about.

For any official tournament set up though, it should either be on or off for everyone.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I don't know how tournament viable this item is purely on the grounds that a lot of the more expensive and powerful items you get are so powerful (X Stat Boost 2 and upwards are practically I Win Buttons) that the thing makes the game a case of "Who pops X Attack/Sp.Attack 2+ wins." Pokemon like Conkeldurr, Haxorus and Hydreigon are deadly enough by themselves, they certainly don't need the Wonder Launcher turning them from "You're probably screwed" into "You're so definitely screwed you might as well just give up now."

That said, stuff like 3vs3 and 4vs4 it can work with because those matches are a lot shorter, in fact I'd almost recommend holding 3vs3 and 4vs4 tournaments with it permitted because I feel it creates a far more strategic game - you have far less "free turns" to play with in 3vs3/4vs4 (note that 4vs4 is doubles) which makes a turn taken to use the Launcher a fair bit more risky. Having it available in 6vs6 would make the game quite retarded (stupid sweeps/never-ending stalling etc.) and I would definitely advise against having it in 6vs6 tournaments.

I do find it stupid how much more useful the X Stat Boost 2+ items (the offensive ones anyway) practically render every other item obsolete, but hey.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Lots of the items for the Wonder Launcher seem to be all about team mates anyway. It would indicate that it's probably more for the multi-battles in general than singles - though it would be interesting to see its effect on 3v3 singles...