• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Zelda advice wanted

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Okie - so after seeing it in the top 10 best games ever in a number of recent polls, I've finally started playing the Ocarina of Time. And I LOVE it. Now that I know it's an N64 remake, I'm not so bothered by the horrible textures, and can actually enjoy the gameplay. I also absolutely love the Wind Waker - it's the sort of game I pick up and play obsessively for a bit, then put down when a new shiny comes along - yet actually come back to. I've done almost all the side-quests and have 15 hearts and an almost complete Nintendo Gallery, but haven't actually finished the main quest yet ;).

So clearly I need to invest in more Zelda games. But I didn't think much of the Minish Cap. It was OKAY - only okay, and I haven't finished it due to physical incompetence. i.e. there are parts of it that I can't do because they involve too much button-mashing. Also, it seems much more like a platformer than an adventure game - the puzzle-solving element is almost non-existent, and there were too many parts where I HAD to consult the FAQs (and usually several of them) to figure out what I needed to do. I got Four Swords for the GameCube, and unfortunately it seems to be exactly the same style as Minish Cap - lots of action and not much brainpower. It's not too bad in multiplayer, but we only have 2 GBAs between 4 people, and my soon-to-arrive DS won't help, as it can't connect to the GameCube by cable.

So what should I do? Just wait and hope for the new new Zelda game? Get Majora's Mask? (isn't that N64 only? Or did they remake it?). Buy some other game that's a similar puzzle-solving freeform wandering style? Not that I'm going to have copious free time or money for a while, but it's always nice to plan these things :).

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Get a Link to the Past for the GBA, the port of one of the greatest SNES games ever made.

Also, Ocarina was never remade. It was ported to the Gamecube, the only difference is that it came on disc and had the Master Quest expansion on it that never made it outside of Japan previously. Majora's mask was never remade either, but was re-released for the Cube in the Zelda Collection thing. That's even harder to get than the Ocarina disc though, Ebaying will be required.

If you want to wait for the new Zelda, you'll be waiting until Christmas. It's worth the wait, and the good news is that a good few experts (and me) have gone with the idea that it could be a simultaneous release worldwide. As Ocarina was. There are a number of reasons for this but i don't have the time to explain right now. Maybe later.

You could also try the NES Classics, but the first Zelda was nasty to look at and the second one is the worst Zelda evar... so.... Try the Master Quest bit of Ocarina if you've finished it. ^^

Doctor Oak said:
Also, Ocarina was never remade. It was ported to the Gamecube, the only difference is that it came on disc and had the Master Quest expansion on it that never made it outside of Japan previously. Majora's mask was never remade either, but was re-released for the Cube in the Zelda Collection thing. That's even harder to get than the Ocarina disc though, Ebaying will be required.

It so happens I have the Zelda Collector's Edition. I got mine at a 2nd hand shop for £10, but I advise keeping a lookout on 2nd hand areas of Game and it's ilk, I've seen a few around. I'd expect to pay about £15 for it, but I did once see it going in Game for a rip off price of over £20. Apparently the "Not to be sold seperately" notice doesn't mean much these days.

As an added bonus, however, you can save yourself a few quid as the NES Classics are both on the Zelda as well! Although as the Doc said, Zelda 2 is as fun as cleaning your ears with a screwdriver.

And I second the idea that there will be a worldwide release. I always associate Zelda with Christmas, so if it ain't out by then I will cry acid tears.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Chibi_Tai said:
And I second the idea that there will be a worldwide release. I always associate Zelda with Christmas, so if it ain't out by then I will cry acid tears.

Windwaker came out May 2003 here though. I don't remember you crying acid tears then. :p

Doctor Oak said:
Chibi_Tai said:

Windwaker came out May 2003 here though. I don't remember you crying acid tears then. :p

Because:

1. No one expected it to come out at Christmas
2. I somehow managed to buy it the day before it came out
3. I spent the next few hours saying "It's Zelda, I don't believe, I'm playing Zelda!" and laughing manically.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Wait a sec. How did people originally obtain the Zelda Collection promotional disc? Did it come free as part of the silver GameCube Wind Waker package?

If so, I should theoretically have one somewhere. But I'm unsure why I wouldn't have unpacked one of the discs from the box, and I've no idea where the box is since we moved house. Erm...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Can't remember how America did it, but NOE gave it away exclusively with the Stars Shatalogue initially. I saw the odd two in GAME's pre-owned basket from time-to-time after that though. Same for Pokemon box actually.

"Doctor Oak said:
Can"]

America gave it away with the Mario Kart Bundle Pack. Obviously if you already had a Cube you were screwed.

In fact, I thought they did that in Europe as well as the Shatalogue. Oh well...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Yeah, they probably did. I can remember a few people being pissed off that you had to either scramble with sweaty germans or smelly french people to get the collection or sell your cube only to get another one for a more expensive price.

Way to go Nintendo for being idiots! :p

Here in North America, the disc was obtainable either by buying a new GameCube or by paying for a subscription to Nintendo Power magazine. EBGames kept the discs on display all the time with a $0.01 price tag to make everyone jealous. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Really? Our EBGames actually charged about $10-$15 for it. Same goes for all the other Zelda bonus disks.

I take it selling them like that was illegal, eh? :p

Doctor Oak said:
The "For Promotional Use only; not for Resale" bit kinda gives that away. :wink:

Lucky for me, there are no laws in Smithfield Market. :D

(Seriously. There's a shop there selling R18 DVDs, axes and a crossbow.)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QuagsireQing said:
It's not illegal if they're pre-played discs. My EBGames had some in stock as used games for a while.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Ours were sold used as well ^^

You could also try the NES Classics, but the first Zelda was nasty to look at and the second one is the worst Zelda evar... so.... Try the Master Quest bit of Ocarina if you've finished it. ^^

I disagree with the comment that the second Zelda was the worst hardest maybe but in my humble opinion it was the funnest to play. INfact it's my new christmas hobby to play all the way through the game (usually takes the whole holiday to get through). So play Zelda 2 it maybe different and ahrder but if you see it for what it is you'll understand the fun of the game. Also the original gold carts of it had some secret passwords programmed in to start with various things (actually most likely just memory glitches of the NES system) As I've had quite a few times when I've started with the hammer candle or titans mitt. SO the game has many memories for me.

I agree with Zapdos. I really enjoy Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, because it's so different from any other Zelda game. Kinda like Colosseum: different doesn't mean bad.