• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS A new team for a new game

I don't think I've ever made a post in here before, though I think it's time to break that chain.

This one is slightly like Zezzyman's topic, though for a different purpose. I got Platinum three days ago and have been juggling playing that and Phantom Hourglass non-stop. And now, I have more or less reached Veilstone. Now, I was thinking if I should start preparing myself for the competative field of the game in the Battle Frontier. And what better way is there to do that than asking the experts? So that's what I want to do here, find a good moveset for my team of pokemon, and what items to give them. These are not the pokemon I have right now, just what they are all going to evolve into, but it's not enough for the necessary info.

Emploeon
Calm Nature

Luxray
Quiet Nature

Machop (because, apparently, I can...)
Bold Nature

Garchomp
Naive Nature

Togepla- *slapped* Togekiss
Quirky Nature

Flareon/Leafeon/Glaceon/Espeon
Bold Nature

Okay, I guess I also need to explain the last one. Since I got Eevee from Bebe, I have been deciding who to evolve into. I was originally going to wait until Snowpoint to get one on the way there, but it's a little too far into the game for that (though then it would be just like Ash's adventures). But now that I gone for Eevee, I should try and find the best evolution for the rest of the team. I've eliminated two due to type matchings to the rest of the team, and that just leaves me with the four listed above. Each has strong points and weak points, and I will end up with a type or two that I am not going to be able to defeat so easily. So it's all pretty much even in the longshot.

I appreciate any help I get in thinking of appropriate movesets for the team

Garchomp shell bell

naive nature

dragon claw
earthquake
fire blast / flamethrower
not sure on what your last move should be

you garchomp should be quite fast because of its nature but lower special defence so if you come across a grass or water type pokemon (as they mainly have special attacks e:g: surf )you should try to finish it quickly with a one hit ko move or a very powerful move that has a good base power and stat to back up the move

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The last move should be Swords Dance, without any doubt whatsoever. Outrage's extra power makes it superior to Dragon Claw on this set, but it will be after Elite Four only - Dragon Claw is a good move to carry in replacement until then.

As for Garchomp's item, I usually used Persim Berry with Outrage and simply avoided anyone who might try to "ice" me, although Yache Berry along with Garchomp's bulkiness is generally more reliable.

As for the others...it would seem your Platinum cartridge hates you, because everyone except Garchomp and possibly Empoleon (depending on the intended set) has a poor Nature - I'd probably consider re-breeding for the other four, unless you're absolutely adamant about not breeding here.

Or, as an alternative move set from what was said above, go with some more diverse physical attacks. Special attacks, when put in a Garchomp's hands (claws?) don't do much damage at all. A Yache Berry (as mentioned above) would be a good item for a Garchomp.
-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Aerial Ace
-Swords Dance

Also, give Empoleon some Special Attacks because it does better with them than physical attacks. Give it Wise Glasses or an Expert Belt, or maybe a Wacan, Shuple, or Chople Berry.
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Signal Beam
-Agility (Egg move)

Luxray needs an Attack or possibly Speed based nature because its Special Attack isn't so great. Without breeding, Luxray doesn't have much of a diverse physical move set. It should hold either a Muscle Band, a Choice Band, or possibly a Choice Scarf or Shuca Berry.
-Spark
-Fire Fang (Egg move)
-Ice Fang (Egg move)
-Crunch/Superpower

The best nature for a Machamp would most likely be Adamant because it boosts Attack and Machamp sucks at using Special Attacks. Go with Cross Chop or Close Combat if it has the No Guard ability, and Brick Break or Close Combat if it has Guts. Give it a Muscle Band or Choice Band.
-Brick Break/Cross Chop/Close Combat (Egg move)
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Swords Dance

As for Togekiss, it should have a Sp. Atk nature. Special Attack is a Togekiss's highest stat, and it should be taken advantage of. DON'T give it an Attack based nature. It should hold Wise Glasses or Choice Specs.
-Air Slash
-Flamethrower
-Aura Sphere
-Magical Leaf

The nature of the Eevee would have to be changed depending on what evolution you're going to get. Glaceon and Espeon should be Modest. Flareon should be Lonely or Naughty for physical attack or Rash or Mild for special attack. Leafeon should be Adamant or possibly Impish because it has very low Special Attack.
Flareon & Muscle Band or Choice Band
-Fire Fang
-Facade
-Bite
-Will-O-Wisp
Flareon & Wise Glasses or Choice Specs
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power
-Will-O-Wisp
Espeon & Wise Glasses or Choice Specs
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Signal Beam
-Grass Knot/Hidden Power/Morning Sun/Future Sight
Leafeon & Muscle Band or Choice Specs
-Leaf Blade
-X-Scissor
-Aerial Ace
-Swords Dance
Glaceon & Wise Glasses or Choice Specs
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Signal Beam/Mirror Coat/Barrier
-Water Pulse

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Or, as an alternative move set from what was said above, go with some more diverse physical attacks. Special attacks, when put in a Garchomp's hands (claws?) don't do much damage at all. A Yache Berry (as mentioned above) would be a good item for a Garchomp.
-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Aerial Ace
-Swords Dance

Trying to find alternatives to the set that got Garchomp Uber'd in the first place is a lost cause. Fire/Ground/Dragon grants PERFECT coverage and double STAB - that's as good as it gets. Also, Sp.Attacks doing little from Garchomp is completely wrong - Base 80 Sp.Attack Fire Blast against Steel-type walls that have lower Sp.Defense than Defense should never be underestimated.

...well, actually, there is one alternative - Substitute over Fire Blast/Fire Fang/whatever Fire-type move would have been there works well too. Other than that, there's no point in using any Garchomp set in OU other than Outrage/Earthquake/Fire Blast (or Substitute)/Swords Dance because this set simply works best. Tried, tested, Uber'd.