• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Other AFTER VGC 14

Okay so I didn't want to do a prefix since I'm not in VGC 14 by any means, and we don't have anything official for VGC 15. However, if Pokémon follows patterns, VGC 15 should be the national Dex.

With that in mind, this is what I want to build. (FYI, I did go through http://pokecharms.com/threads/basics-to-competitive-team-making.1067/ to make sure I didn't do anything OVERLY stupid).

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Basic physical sweeper, mega evolution here would mostly be if I ran into an electric type to make the moves 2X effective instead of 4x.

Houndoom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Counter
- Protect

Focus Sash + Counter should work nicely, despite the lack of focus on physical attack. Other than that, I'm bouncing back and forth on fire blast/flamethrower. I was considering the mega stone for some time, but I don't know if it's worth it, and three mega stones on one team is stupid; it wastes proper hold items.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- ?
- Protect

Providing I'm not using Gyarados in the same fight, or it hasn't mega evolved, this one can be a pain as a mega. The only thing I'm stuck on is that one move. I'd really like to take advantage of pixilate, and I suppose Gen 5 breeding could get me Hyper Voice which I know breaks through subs, and Hyper Beam is stupid (unless paired with the next Pokémon (will explain below). Without mega I would do focus blast, but I'm looking to keep the mega stone on this one). Also, you will see the reasoning for Telepathy over Synchronize when you get to Archeops.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Togekiss's basic support set. Follow me would work perfectly if I put hyper beam on Gardevoir, stopping it from getting hurt for it's recharge turn, barring spread moves (heat wave, surf, etc). Other than that, basic paraflinch as well.

Archeops @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Protect

Due to the lack of gems (only normal exists now) in gen 6, as well as the inability to move items across the bank/transporter, the ideal archeops had to be altered. Head smash will trigger the sitrus berry, removing the hold item and boosting acrobatics to 110 base power. Now, all Pokémon have protect (or some form of it; see below). However, Gardevoir's Telepathy negates the need for her to waste a move on Protect while Archeops uses Earthquake. This also works if Gyarados hasn't mega evolved.

Aegislash
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

No reason to play with speed on this one. I have the main focus on physical attack while staying alive for as long as possible. King's Shield is a given, and will be a major pain for anyone hoping to use flare blitz (as an example) or some other contact move on it. Basic STAB is on there, and Sacred Sword for coverage on dark types hoping to do at least neutral damage.

By no means am I looking for people to tell me everything is perfect. Pick it apart as much as you want ^_^

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It's hard to judge what will be popular next year with everything allowed (in all likelihood) so I'll just go by what you have:

- Gyarados's Dragon Dance set works well with Togekiss's Follow Me as a combination. Consider Earthquake to hit both opponents over Stone Edge, as a miss from Stone Edge would cost you dearly in VGC format.

- CounterSash isn't particularly effective with Fake Out being so common and MegaKangaskhan's Parental Bond breaking Sashes anyway (and Kangaskhan is everywhere and likely will be next year too.) Sash itself is still good on Houndoom, but Counter on top of it likely won't be.

- Don't forget Gardevoir's second STAB Fairy attack. If it's available, Pixilate Hyper Voice is the best option, and Pixilate Hyper Beam can serve as a very gimmicky and risky nuke to catch people out.

- Rock Slide is far better than Head Smash on Archeops due again to the accuracy and the fact that Rock Slide hits both enemies and can make them flinch. I'd still keep Sitrus on Archeops mind you.

- An alternative to your Aegislash set is the pure special Substitute set running Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball, Substitute and King's Shield. Consider it if your current set doesn't seem to pull its weight.

Until we see next year's rules that's all I can really think to say, besides making sure you have a way to kill Kangaskhan.