• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Another 4vs4 Monotype mini tournament?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yo yo. While I definitely like KoL's ABC battling idea, I'd like to ask about this one now just to iron out some details for the future. The fact that many of our battlers already have monotype teams will make things smoother, too. Not sure how many people would be willing to train brand new Pokemon during the league...

Anyways, if we did another Monotype tourney, would you guys want to see the exact same rule set as before? This basically means:

• 4vs4 double battles
  • No legendaries allowed
  • Restricted lists mirror the alternate battling template
  • Dragon-type teams are banned

Considering that the previous mini-tournament was specifically geared at Gym Leader-styled battles, I don't mind altering any of these rules. Give me suggestions for changes and we can discuss them, just be sure to rationalize your suggestions - especially if it involves unbanning the Dragon-type teams.

Thanks for any input. :)

YES YES YES YES.

Ahem.

What worked last time seemed to be fine, so I'd go with that :)

I'd still be more inclined on banning the Dragon types - although it might be worth looking into, say, allowing things like Gabite or Vibrava on a ground type team? Just throwing another idea out here for people to consider. My stance is still keeping the dragons banned, however.

I'd actually be really interested in actually participating in a monotype tourney, seeing as I missed my opportunity to do so last time there was one. I personally really liked the Gym Leader style battles, though I'd be fine with singles AND doubles matches, just to add another option/round to the mini tourney. Especially since some teams that aren't particularly effective as doubles teams could shine in singles and vice versa. Of course, it's just a suggestion.

Either way, I'd be interested in participating ^^

I also like that Dragons are banned, just because a dragon team could end up pwning anyone who isn't training Ice or their own dragons.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
LoN said:
I'd still be more inclined on banning the Dragon types - although it might be worth looking into, say, allowing things like Gabite or Vibrava on a ground type team? Just throwing another idea out here for people to consider. My stance is still keeping the dragons banned, however.

Whoops. That actually was allowed, although I don't think anyone took advantage of it. XD

*Edits her original description*

Good idea, but what about making it 1on1 this time?
We could alternate between 1on1 and 2on2.
That way it can stay fresh!

And the restricted alternate rules are kinda meh when you can only do mono-type.
No Legendary is ok, as it takes away the debate on which pokemon is especially banned or allowed.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I'd love to see this done again, and I even have two different monotype teams prepared for it. :p

I think it works well in a doubles format, but it would be interesting to see how things were to work in a singles style battle. For the moment though, I say keep it doubles. Especially seeing as we're still in the singles portion of the League. :3

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Fumanshu said:
Good idea, but what about making it 1on1 this time?
We could alternate between 1on1 and 2on2.
That way it can stay fresh!

Sounds like a good idea, yep! Red did make a good point however, so might poll it once the rest of the details are sorted out. :)

And the restricted alternate rules are kinda meh when you can only do mono-type.
No Legendary is ok, as it takes away the debate on which pokemon is especially banned or allowed.

I rather agree about the restricted lists myself, but just got to thinking. If we removed them entirely and allowed Dragon-types to be used on teams (just not on all Dragon-type teams), we could potentially have both Dragonite and Salamence on a single Flying-type team. In double battling this probably wouldn't be so bad, but it could be cruel on singles. Thoughts?

(An easy way around that would be to simply restrict those two, but I'm not sure if it'd be wholly necessary. Depends what you lot think)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If you're using the alternate rules again, banning Dragons is something I see as needless and nonsensical on the grounds that it was considered too tightly restricted in terms of options to be overpowered anyway, and last time no-one even used the type. I fail to see any good reason to ban the type, and request that it be un-banned if a good reason cannot be provided.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Gerudo Ganon said:
If you're using the alternate rules again, banning Dragons is something I see as needless and nonsensical on the grounds that it was considered too tightly restricted in terms of options to be overpowered anyway, and last time no-one even used the type. I fail to see any good reason to ban the type, and request that it be un-banned if a good reason cannot be provided.

Actually, as stated in my previous post, I'm thinking of removing the alternate rules. :p

What would you say then? XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Even then, I'd still be dubious on the grounds that Dragon suffers from very prominent weaknesses, specifically Ice and in the case of Dragonite, Salamence and Altaria, Rock.

I think banning the type is a hasty decision that at least deserves some thought before it's done.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Duely noted. Can't say I disagree at all either. :)

I'll leave the discussion on it open, tho, since originally we did vote on it and people voted them down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Bumping.

I discussed this in the chat today, and I'd personally like to try running this simply off the Standard Competitive Battling rules. That means no Dragon-type ban, no legendaries ban, and no restricted list - just the usual banned ubers. Most everyone active in the chat at the time was cool with this, especially since it'll give us a good starting place. If anything is found to be too borked for mono-type battling we can take it into consideration afterwards. :)

ooooh, yay I always wanted to do a mono tye tourney. I havnt got a team though and I need to make a normal team for the league aswell so I geuss I'll be up all night.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Linkachu said:
I discussed this in the chat today, and I'd personally like to try running this simply off the Standard Competitive Battling rules. That means no Dragon-type ban, no legendaries ban, and no restricted list - just the usual banned ubers. Most everyone active in the chat at the time was cool with this, especially since it'll give us a good starting place. If anything is found to be too borked for mono-type battling we can take it into consideration afterwards. :)

I'm fine with it. Yes Dragons are powerful, but they pretty much suffer a 4x weakness to Ice - aka one hit with Ice and they're down. Ice is a common enough move-type to get hold of, such as my Electric team has someone with Ice Punch. Rock is another accessible move-type and it's not like Dragon moves are restricted to Dragons. Plus all that with the fact that last time no one had a Dragon Team makes me more than happy to play a round with them unbanned and see how we go. Bring them on >:D

So yeah, rambled a bit, but I say lets go. Battles are fun :D