• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
@Flygonn That is a very good question. I think it's worth explaining our position on tracing/referencing for future reference, because whether that is your own creation is up for interpretation.

The short answer is that using a reference is fine, but tracing and directly copying is not. I refer to tracing as replicating an image in such exactness that you could put your work on top of the original and they would look very, very similar - one way I might tell is a work very obviously not matching someone's artistic style.* Tracing is not a bad thing in and of itself - it's a great way to study an artist or style you admire. But that wouldn't be suitable for 'Charms.

On the other hand, referencing other artwork is a vital tool in the creative process for a lot of people, and even the most experienced artists use elements from other pieces in their work - whether it be a pose, or the shading on a creature's fur, or something else. The primary difference is that in using a reference, you are incorporating elements from art around you into your own work - even if it looks similar, it is still identifiably your own work.

Honestly, the question is hard to answer without seeing the work - but if you have copied it wholesale like your wording implies, then it wouldn't count as your own work and thus isn't suitable for the Corner.

*As an aside, it's also easy to catch serial art thieves this way, without needing to put the image into the Google Images Mobile to find if there's a source.

A question - when I want to post a new status on my profile it only lets me use 130 characters.. So is there a way to make room for more characters? Sometimes I want to write something not much longer than 130 ( lets say 142, just an example) and it just doesn't fit. So, is there a way to make statuses a bit longer?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
A question - when I want to post a new status on my profile it only lets me use 130 characters.. So is there a way to make room for more characters? Sometimes I want to write something not much longer than 130 ( lets say 142, just an example) and it just doesn't fit. So, is there a way to make statuses a bit longer?
The limit's 140 characters, same as Twitter. Right now, though, there's no way of increasing the limit, even in the backend of the system. I'll see if I can take a look at modding the limit higher at some point :)

Hydroblade

Formerly Magic Jack
um, just a quick question, is it possible to change your name? because ive been trying to look for it for ages (probably doesnt help that im a 100% noob with computers) and i cant find it, so im just wondering if it actually is possible? Thank you

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It's not possible for you to change your name on your own - but if you would like your name to be changed, contact a staff member with the name you want to change to and we'll see what we can do for you. ^^

Make sure both the url for the image is correct as well as you're using the correct img tags:
Code:
[img][/img]

the "/" in front of the second img tag is very important

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to assume that meant 'all of a sudden' rather than whatever that was.

Your right - your images broke, but that was not due to a technical problem with 'charms: Jeydis simply re-organized her photobucket and moved the images into new folders. As for the sprites from [x5-452] were uploaded as attachments to 'charms and may have been removed since as well.

I've recovered the ones from Jeydis for you as they were rather easy to find in her newly rearranged photobucket - but in the future, if you're directly linking a work from an artist's host (provided you were given permission to use it - moot concern here since the userbar/chao were made by your request but not always) don't be too surprised if they break - and contact the artists via private conversation or profile messages or... whatever... and ask them to send you these sprites and permission to rehost them on photobucket or something similar so you don't have to worry about them breaking.

Last edited:
I want to know if is possible to upload sprites for the Trainer Cards Maker? And if the answer is yes how i do that? I really want to use my own custom sprites.

I'm new to this forum,and I found out how to change the picture doo-dad, but how do I change the little sprite in the top right corner? When I initially started on this website, that was the very first thing I noticed. The sprite was a girl!

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Good grief, look at this necromancy. Alright, may as well answer these.

@Petrus G.P - The answer for that question is "Yes and No". No, you can't upload custom sprites to the Trainer Card Maker for your own use exclusively, and you never will be able to for reasons we've already explained before a billion times. But yes, you can submit a sprite to the Trainer Card Maker using the appropriate thread - and if it is considered of sufficient quality, it will be made available for anyone who uses the Trainer Card Maker to use. That may not be ideal, but the Trainer Card Maker is sort of a cookie-cutter tool for quickly making a Trainer Card out of existing components. If you want anything more custom than that, making a trainer card yourself from scratch is really not that hard to do. (But don't use our resources or edit cards made with our Trainer Card Maker, as that is not allowed by the TCM's terms of service and we will be forced to painfully end you.)

@Serperior Trainer - You can change your minisprite by going into Preferences in the top menu (which you get by clicking on your name at the top of the page, right next to the sprite in question!) and choosing a User Sprite out of the dropdown box. ^^

Halleluja, I'm not a girl! Thanks, Stellarwind Elsydeon!

Sorry to bother again, and this is a rather stupid question, but I entered the chatroom today, and I typed in the little below everything, but it didn't pop up on the box above it. How do I get it to show up, or at least be able to talk to people?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Structure of the chatroom page:
pu9sL.png

Make sure you don't have a / before your message, or else your message won't appear.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
How is your day? :3

Quite good! Most notably, I helped @Demelza with some work and watched some anime (an episode of Pokemon XY, Food Wars, Days, and part 1 of The Ancient Magus' Bride). Also tried out the activities on my free version of Wii Fit U for the first time and played lots of squash, and later went into my city to buy groceries and a new iPad Pro/Apple Pencil/Apple keyboard. :angel:

Today was "Teacher Appreciation Day" at one of our local shops (Staples), so I was able to get 10% off all of my technology-related purchases. I'm heavily in debt because of this but it's quickly proving to be well worth the costs. :up:

Now I'm thinking that I'll just keep playing with my new iPad, watch some of the Great British Bake Off, and then read a few chapters of Fairy Tail before bed. Nothing fancy. ^^

Last edited:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
How is your day? :3

I'm having a great day! For the oddest reason xD

So a while a go I was happily eating some corned-beef when it smashed one of my back teeth (there was a round chunk of bone in it!). It made a small hole and I had to go and get my first ever filling at the dentist. Long story short, the filling fell out in April so I had it redone... and it fell out again a week ago. I booked in for another appointment but couldn't get in for a week and there was no pain so I thought 'no rush'. How wrong I was! Cue the worst pain I have ever felt in all my life! Kicked in on Sunday, so I had to get an emergency appointment on Monday... X-ray revealed there was a crack all the way down the tooth to the bone. So it needed taking out, but they couldn't do it while Wednesday. So from Sunday-Wednesday I was in blinding pain! I didn't sleep a wink, barely ate and pretty much felt like smashing out the left side of my face :V

But yesterday afternoon the tooth was removed after a 15min battle to pull it out and although today I am sore, tender and pretty lousy-feeling it is 100% better than the last few days. I can't tell you how amazing it feels to be free of that pain! So today is a great, great day ♥

Let's just hope it heals as it should. And it's one from almost at the back so you can't tell it's gone:up:

tl;dr - Don't eat corned-beef! (Ignore that, it's lovely!)

I'm having a great day! For the oddest reason xD

So a while a go I was happily eating some corned-beef when it smashed one of my back teeth (there was a round chunk of bone in it!). It made a small hole and I had to go and get my first ever filling at the dentist. Long story short, the filling fell out in April so I had it redone... and it fell out again a week ago. I booked in for another appointment but couldn't get in for a week and there was no pain so I thought 'no rush'. How wrong I was! Cue the worst pain I have ever felt in all my life! Kicked in on Sunday, so I had to get an emergency appointment on Monday... X-ray revealed there was a crack all the way down the tooth to the bone. So it needed taking out, but they couldn't do it while Wednesday. So from Sunday-Wednesday I was in blinding pain! I didn't sleep a wink, barely ate and pretty much felt like smashing out the left side of my face :V

But yesterday afternoon the tooth was removed after a 15min battle to pull it out and although today I am sore, tender and pretty lousy-feeling it is 100% better than the last few days. I can't tell you how amazing it feels to be free of that pain! So today is a great, great day ♥

Let's just hope it heals as it should. And it's one from almost at the back so you can't tell it's gone:up:

tl;dr - Don't eat corned-beef! (Ignore that, it's lovely!)
I have no idea how to reply to that other than...wow.

So, I've seen several things saying 'last seen viewing article index', and I've not been able to locate it. Have I just been stupid, or is it another name for something?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, I've seen several things saying 'last seen viewing article index', and I've not been able to locate it. Have I just been stupid, or is it another name for something?
It's an oddity that comes from the software we use for the site. It means the news page :)

I was wondering if there is a way to send videos on private messages an/or post them without having to put them somewhere else online to provide a link.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I was wondering if there is a way to send videos on private messages an/or post them without having to put them somewhere else online to provide a link.
Sorry, we don't have that capability – you'll have to put them on YouTube or Vimeo first. We don't have the storage or bandwidth to host and manage videos, sadly :)

Question: How did you ban players so easily if they break any rules?:?
The site is set up with a full warning and ban system - it makes it easy for us to reinforce the rules. :)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
For example, considering you are a sock-puppet of Energetic_Sakura, it makes it very easy to enforce the rules about you - you're now officially read only. So much for that!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Katie (@Linkachu) is my father figure though she definitely has motherly aspects as well. @Teapot also has a very parental vibe. I see @StellarWind Elsydeon as the armbladed uncle who has an amazing voice, @KoL is the scary PINGAS uncle, @Prof. Cinders is a cat-loving aunt, @baratron is the grumpy aunt, @Demelza is the cousin who enjoys teasing both Linkachu and Teapot, @Magpie is the aunt I see once every other year or so but brings the yummy cookies whenever she's around, and @Doctor Oak is the head of the household who is shrouded in myth.

Last edited:
With the rule on not using art that wasn't made specifically by or for you, does that apply to icons too, like the current one I have was simply a picture off google, the details of which I haven't looked into?